E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Power steering

12-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
dubr

Drives: e90

Question Power steering

Hi guys,

Just wanted your opinion on what could this possibly be.

Recently, my parked car got hit in the rear left door by a Ford E350 van that was backing up from a drive way (a pic is attached). I took it to a body shop and they have replaced the door, repainted the rear bumper, etc...

Once I got home, I've parked the car in my garage and did not take it for a ride for about 5 days. I came back to it yesterday and noticed a pool of fluid underneath the right front wheel. Once I've started the car, I've noticed some power steering whine, which became very evident when I was turning the wheels. I've checked the power steering fluid level, it was below the minimum. However, the computer did not give me any warnings.

Is it possible that the body shop has done something that could have caused the problem? Could they have damaged the lines/hoses when lifting the car or something? I guess, this could be just a consequence. However, I've only driven 12 miles after taking the car from the garage.

The car is 2006 330i that has 40K on it.

Also, if I top off the fluid, is it safe to drive the car to a dealership?

Thanks a lot for your input!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
TurboFan
Ski bum

Drives: sideways

Call the insurance company of the driver that hit you. Have it towed back to the dealer or the body shop. Probably have to start with the body shop.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
dubr

Do you think the car can be driven?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've called the body shop and they've told me that (surprise, surprise) they have not touched power steering, however I can bring the car and they will take a look.

I've purchased the power steering fluid ($40 per litter ), topped it off and now planning to drive to the body shop, which is approximately 10 miles away form my place.

In the worst case scenario, what can possibly happen to my car? Loss of power steering I can live with. Power steering pump failure? I still have CPO. I think it should cover it. Anything else?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubr View Post
Thanks for your suggestions.

I've called the body shop and they've told me that (surprise, surprise) they have not touched power steering, however I can bring the car and they will take a look.

I've purchased the power steering fluid ($40 per litter ), topped it off and now planning to drive to the body shop, which is approximately 10 miles away form my place.

In the worst case scenario, what can possibly happen to my car? Loss of power steering I can live with. Power steering pump failure? I still have CPO. I think it should cover it. Anything else?

Thanks.
If the failure was caused by the accident, and aggravated because you drove it, then CPO should not cover it.

Get it towed.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
dubr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
If the failure was caused by the accident, and aggravated because you drove it, then CPO should not cover it.

Get it towed.
Thanks for advice. However, I still fail to understand how a hit of a PARKED vehicle in the rear left door would damage power steering.

Anyway, the question that remains unanswered: what can get damaged if you drive with a very low level of power steering fluid? BTW, won't you expect you OBC to give you a warning of some sort. Mine does not give me any warnings.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
HapaVibe
Private
South Korea

Drives: BMW

Just because the accident repair and leak occurred approximately the same time doesn't mean they're related. Have you tried to identify the source of the leak? That might go a long way toward identifying the problem. Also see how fast it's leaking.

It seems like you might be better off going to the dealer if you're covered by the warranty. Especially if they're closer. Don't mention the accident and let they diagnose the problem without the bias of having that information.

A long time ago I used to work on power steering pumps at GM. Assuming BMW power steering pumps are similar, refrain from making sharp turns and keep the RPMs down if you're driving it in. That puts more stress on the pump if I remember correctly. If it's leaking at a high rate and the fluid costs that much, towing might wind up being cheaper. I would probably tow it anyway just to be safe.

I don't think I've ever seen a car that warned about low power steering fluid. Does the owner's manual say there's a warning given? If not, then I would assume there is no warning indicator.
Appreciate 0