E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Man vs GT500



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Brad335d
Oil Burner
 
Brad335d's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Man vs GT500

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ideos/07496_00



Brad335d is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
montreal red
chris
 
montreal red's Avatar
 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 12,118
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
damn... thats quite a bit of force.

some how i have a feeling that it would be harder to do this if the wheels werent spinning at the start. cos once you get the tires spinning, it takes less force to hold the car back compared to if the tires had full grip from the start.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Ender514
General
 
Ender514's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

Posts: 21,002
iTrader: (0)

nice car
__________________
09' E92 335i | 6MT | Montego Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Sirius | Comfort Access | iPod and USB adapter
Ender514 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Craig@SupremePower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Craig@SupremePower's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Dodge Durango R/T
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 75,000
iTrader: (14)

crazy..
__________________
Craig@SupremePower is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 6,718
iTrader: (15)

Send a message via AIM to Chewy734
Wow... any way you put it, that's an amazing feat!
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Kit523
Major General
 
Kit523's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: B.C. Vancouver

Posts: 6,863
iTrader: (25)

that is CRAZY!!!!!
Kit523 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,809
iTrader: (23)

bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fargo ND

Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (0)

Meh....

Id fight him.
BMWinNorthdakota is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
 
jopa489's Avatar
 
Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

Posts: 6,561
iTrader: (8)

Saw this show randomly on TV the other night, pretty amazing.
__________________

jopa489 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
veightkiller
Brigadier General
 
veightkiller's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver,B.C

Posts: 4,152
iTrader: (3)

WoW
veightkiller is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Jeef
Captain
 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
that is CRAZY!!!!!
yes in deed ahhaha
Jeef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
 
PaulBailey@ltbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 26,734
iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
ehh. . . It's a ford. I could do it one handed

haha j/kj/k
PaulBailey@ltbmw is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
lambtron
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 336
iTrader: (1)

Good lord that's impressive!
lambtron is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
John Tanglewood
Colonel
 
John Tanglewood's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' M3 Coupe AW/FR (for sale)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 2,061
iTrader: (8)

That's hilarious.

I am on that show actually, as an extra in more than one segment. I worked it as an AP and unfortunately our budget was low so some of us needed to step in and be extras. In the human jackhammer episode, I am the dark skinned guy poking the swallower in the throat with a qtip (no homo).

The show was filmed at an Armory in Newark during the dead of winter. We did all the filming for the show in about 3 weeks, 16hrs/day (no weekends), and I am so thankful I never have to go to that non-heated, icy, dark, miserable place.

Regarding the GT500 segment, there is a long story behind that episode. We started with a black Shelby, but the guys we had coming to do the trick were some sketchy austrians who attempted to disconnect the brake light from the vehicle in attempt to just pull some stupid fake stunt. They also refused to use anyone except for their own driver, who proceeded to immediately blow the transmission of that beautiful car.

After this madness, we went and got a new, more legit team (of Austrians go figure) who actually did the stunt as it is described in the episode.

The cool thing was that Ford replaced the shelby without charging us, and the Red one that they used was the exact same car used in the majority and interior shots in the movie "I am Legend" with Will Smith.

Oh I am new to the forum by the way, used to be on e46 Fanatics, now possibly jumpin into an e92. I'll post pics of my whip later.
John Tanglewood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

Posts: 4,643
iTrader: (0)

Pretty exciting vid!

Wish I was that strong.
Nawaaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #16
domobrown
Banned
 
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Salzburg, Austria

Posts: 512
iTrader: (0)

Who else wants to see him hold back the car with some drag radials and a proper launch?
domobrown is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #17
my92
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
If they did it from a dead stop and without wheel spin, I think he wouldn't even last 3 seconds. Impressive, but a little biased towards trying to make it seem like it's a bigger feat than it really is.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
Boost Gomez
Colonel
 
Boost Gomez's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami

Posts: 2,367
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
That's hilarious.

I am on that show actually, as an extra in more than one segment. I worked it as an AP and unfortunately our budget was low so some of us needed to step in and be extras. In the human jackhammer episode, I am the dark skinned guy poking the swallower in the throat with a qtip (no homo).

The show was filmed at an Armory in Newark during the dead of winter. We did all the filming for the show in about 3 weeks, 16hrs/day (no weekends), and I am so thankful I never have to go to that non-heated, icy, dark, miserable place.

Regarding the GT500 segment, there is a long story behind that episode. We started with a black Shelby, but the guys we had coming to do the trick were some sketchy austrians who attempted to disconnect the brake light from the vehicle in attempt to just pull some stupid fake stunt. They also refused to use anyone except for their own driver, who proceeded to immediately blow the transmission of that beautiful car.

After this madness, we went and got a new, more legit team (of Austrians go figure) who actually did the stunt as it is described in the episode.

The cool thing was that Ford replaced the shelby without charging us, and the Red one that they used was the exact same car used in the majority and interior shots in the movie "I am Legend" with Will Smith.

Oh I am new to the forum by the way, used to be on e46 Fanatics, now possibly jumpin into an e92. I'll post pics of my whip later.
Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum John.
__________________
Boost Gomez is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #19
Brad335d
Oil Burner
 
Brad335d's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
If they did it from a dead stop and without wheel spin, I think he wouldn't even last 3 seconds. Impressive, but a little biased towards trying to make it seem like it's a bigger feat than it really is.
He might have lost some arms doing it this way.
Brad335d is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #20
Scorpion
Major
 
Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nowhere

Posts: 1,215
iTrader: (0)

Pretty crazy.
Scorpion is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Memphis1's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,843
iTrader: (0)

i saw that yesterday, the first thing that crossed my mind was that he was just the link between the huge pick up and the mustang and thats why he was able to hold it, there's another guy (bald head with glasses) that does the same except is two harley's one in each arm pulling in opposite directions.
__________________
Memphis1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #22
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,785
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
i saw that yesterday, the first thing that crossed my mind was that he was just the link between the huge pick up and the mustang and thats why he was able to hold it, there's another guy (bald head with glasses) that does the same except is two harley's one in each arm pulling in opposite directions.
Yeah I've seen that, pretty crazy shit.

I'm guessing they started with wheel spin to gradually increase force instead of doing a proper launch which would have just caused him to release immediately.
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST