E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > doctors dammit !

04-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
jaye944
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i cab msport

doctors dammit !

so this is from the UK side

mom, (widowed last couple of years) in her 70's
lives alone, has an imbalance in her ear, meaning she falls a lot,
confirmed underactive thyroid, sciatica, lives alone.

I'm in Can, but sisters in UK

so she feels lonely (understandably) shes a bit shaky, a bit down,
could be a number of things, (she needs a full blood work up)

so quack prescribes her , fooking anti-depressants
"oh just take one at night or half at night, it will help you sleep"

HELL NO, I told her NOT to take any crap, but to get out more, do some light exercise, and wait till her blood results come back.

Quack also said, you can stop it at any time if you want !!

Did some research on Mirtazapine, not a nice drug, like the rest

, like what the heck is wrong with dr's.

oh the dr said in the same breath
"You should get out more"... yes hoping she doesnt fall flat on her arse and break her spine

but managed to get her to see sense at least till tests come back and get out to a seniors club, do some light exercise and find a hobby she likes
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Hey J,
Sorry to hear about that, most doctors these days are in the business of selling drugs as they get a kick back from it from the big pharma cartels. Some doctors, like any other professionals, are decent caring human beings who will try and help, hopefully your mom can get in touch with one of those guys.

Good for you that you convinced here to not touch that shit.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
M3 Number 86
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black m3

need to find a different doctor ASAP.

Also why is your mom who can fall at any minute live alone while your sister is also in the UK? I don't get it - one slip and she is gone.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
schoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Doctors receiving "kickbacks" from drug companies is not illegal, at least here in the US. Virtually every doctor receives some sort of compensation from drug companies (paid meals, attending conferences on pharma dime, gifts and meals for pharma presentations, etc.). It's only if the compensation is excessive does it raise questions of ethics.

Here in the US, you can find out how much your doctor received in Big Pharma compensation via this website:

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

Big Pharma is required by US law to disclose all of its compensation to doctors.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
BigBoosting
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' M3 6MT

The original poster noticeably speaks without experience with depression. The most degrading and ignorant thing you can tell someone who is depressed is to "cheer up" or "get out more".

A 70 year old widow with health issues who also lives alone is a classic example of depression. The only persons that know the conversations that went on in that office are the doctor and your mom. You would be surprised what very close family members do not tell each other but reveal to their physician. Rather than blatantly telling your mom not to take a prescribed medicine, you, your sister, or other family member should attend a doctors visit. To hear all parties concerns and have questions answered. There could have been conversations about severe depression with thoughts of suicide, feeling worthless, not wanting to eat and losing weight, not being able to sleep, wanting to give up. Obviously all very serious issues.

In the UK maybe its different, but Dr's in the U.S DO NOT get any direct reimbursement in anyway for prescribing medicines. This is such a huge misconception. In fact most physicians cannot stand having a 30sec conversation with pharmaceutical reps. What that link above fails to mention is that the dollar amount listed includes thousands of dollars of free medications Dr's can give to their patients who cannot afford them. When I was in college I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and was unfortunately unable to afford the medicines I needed for basic survival. Fortunately for months I was able to get insulin from my doctor that was given to him as samples. It is insulting to here people complain about such things. What pharmaceutical companies can give Dr's is highly regulated and watched. It boils down mainly to allow only a few things. For example; Meals are allowed but not for any individual, they have to be provided for the entire office staff or program of a academic institution and have a limit of around $200 total. Which means basic sandwiches and salads from Panera Bread. Mirtazipine's cost is somewhere in the $5-10 range so no one is making a dime off attempting to help your mother.

Last edited by BigBoosting; 04-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
catcher22
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Still 1000x better than the United States.

Just sayin.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
MKSixer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
The original poster noticeably speaks without experience with depression. The most degrading and ignorant thing you can tell someone who is depressed is to "cheer up" or "get out more".

A 70 year old widow with health issues who also lives alone is a classic example of depression. The only persons that know the conversations that went on in that office are the doctor and your mom. You would be surprised what very close family members do not tell each other but reveal to their physician. Rather than blatantly telling your mom not to take a prescribed medicine, you, your sister, or other family member should attend a doctors visit. To hear all parties concerns and have questions answered. There could have been conversations about severe depression with thoughts of suicide, feeling worthless, not wanting to eat and losing weight, not being able to sleep, wanting to give up. Obviously all very serious issues.

In the UK maybe its different, but Dr's in the U.S DO NOT get any direct reimbursement in anyway for prescribing medicines. This is such a huge misconception. In fact most physicians cannot stand having a 30sec conversation with pharmaceutical reps. What that link above fails to mention is that the dollar amount listed includes thousands of dollars of free medications Dr's can give to their patients who cannot afford them. What pharmaceutical companies can give Dr's is highly regulated and watched. It boils down mainly to allow only a few things. For example; Meals are allowed but not for any individual, they have to be provided for the entire office staff or program of a academic institution and have a limit of around $200 total. Mirtazipine's cost is somewhere in the $5-10 range, so no one is making a dime off attempting to help your mother.
Thanks for clearing up this misconception. I will add one thing:

Every patient, no matter age or condition of health, needs an advocate. The system is broken but it has not been broken by pharma companies or physicians. It has been broken by the government interfering with the sacred Doctor-Patient relationship.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
M3 Number 86
Colonel
Rep

Helps to have a well known doctor in the family. Thanks dad!
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
BigBoosting
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Thanks for clearing up this misconception. I will add one thing:

Every patient, no matter age or condition of health, needs an advocate. The system is broken but it has not been broken by pharma companies or physicians. It has been broken by the government interfering with the sacred Doctor-Patient relationship.
This is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The amount of government interference is beyond ridiculous. If the general public knew the amount of cost and interference with medical decision making dictated by bureaucrats it would make people sick. And literally does in some cases.
      04-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

because socialized medicine?
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
M3 Number 86
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
This is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The amount of government interference is beyond ridiculous. If the general public knew the amount of cost and interference with medical decision making dictated by bureaucrats it would make people sick. And literally does in some cases.
again, good to have them in your family = FREE!!

or friends = I ain't paying you full price bitch!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #12
Kong Sheng Han
你的阴茎很小。
North Korea
Rep
Drives: A racecar..kinda..

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had a PCP prescribe me arthritis medication for temporary muscle pain (pulled muscle, I think). After looking up the medication to get some info on it and finding out its for arthritis, I threw the prescription paper away and will never go back to that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Helps to have a well known doctor in the family. Thanks dad!
Ask dad if he'd be willing to let me shadow him.
PSS10 Coilovers | TMS Camber Plates | LED Tail Lights | 219M Wheels | SuperSprint Race Exhaust | E60 Shift Lever | ZHP Steering Rack | GroupN Motor Mounts | RE Trans Mounts | AKG 90A Subframe Bushings | AKG 95A Diff Bushings | AKG 90A RTABs | TMS Subframe Reinforcement Plates Epoxied | Driver Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Passenger Schroth Quick Fit | PFC 08 Pads Front | PFC 06 Pads Rear | CPI Stepped Headers | Motul RBF600 | Rear Seat Delete | Centric Slotted Rotors | SAP Delete |
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #13
larryn
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '16 F82 M4

Call the Social Care department affiliated with the local NHS Trust that is caring for her. If you do not know which trust to contact, call the GP Practice that she is assigned to, and just ask them which NHS Trust they are affiliated with. Most now have programmes specifically for this type of care, where a community nurse is on a schedule to visit your mum on routine basis. They would stop by, assess for fall risk, social wellbeing and mental health.

The best part is that they get to know your mum and are an advocate for making sure the best things happen for her.

Your sister will likely need to be involved and act as a family carer, who is local.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 1| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
I had a PCP prescribe me arthritis medication for temporary muscle pain (pulled muscle, I think). After looking up the medication to get some info on it and finding out its for arthritis, I threw the prescription paper away and will never go back to that guy.

Sounds like misunderstanding on your part. Arthritis medication can be nsaids? Appropriate for acute or chronic pain and inflammation aa well as almost any type of pain.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
M3 Number 86
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

the funny thing is my dad hates patients so he left practice a long time ago and went into research - NIH, genome, biotech.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
Kong Sheng Han
你的阴茎很小。
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Sounds like misunderstanding on your part. Arthritis medication can be nsaids? Appropriate for acute or chronic pain and inflammation aa well as almost any type of pain.
Possibly. I can't remember what I was complaining about, but I think it was muscle related. When looking up on govt agency website, it did not say medication treats acute pain/inflammation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
the funny thing is my dad hates patients so he left practice a long time ago and went into research - NIH, genome, biotech.
What was his specialty? Ask dad if I can be his research assistant.
PSS10 Coilovers | TMS Camber Plates | LED Tail Lights | 219M Wheels | SuperSprint Race Exhaust | E60 Shift Lever | ZHP Steering Rack | GroupN Motor Mounts | RE Trans Mounts | AKG 90A Subframe Bushings | AKG 95A Diff Bushings | AKG 90A RTABs | TMS Subframe Reinforcement Plates Epoxied | Driver Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Passenger Schroth Quick Fit | PFC 08 Pads Front | PFC 06 Pads Rear | CPI Stepped Headers | Motul RBF600 | Rear Seat Delete | Centric Slotted Rotors | SAP Delete |
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #17
chillindrdude
Major
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

I'm a doctor. I get zero kickbacks. Nor want any. And the same among my peers. What I do get is shitload of paperwork and regulations to wade through. Decreasing reimbursement from govt programs and private insurance. Sometimes, unrealistic patient expectations from what's read/posted on the internet.

I still love it.

But blanket generalizations making doctors to be like pariahs/scapegoats/fat cats, are absolute bullshit

My Streetable Track Car
1998 ///M3--E36 Coupe
Appreciate 5
      04-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I've ben type 1 for 35 years and I STILL get samples from my endo. I looked him up on that website and he only received about $70 from the one I am getting currently. His BIG funding came as a guest lecturer about some other monitoring device he hasn't spoken to me about yet, but maybe it's for a different endo disease.

I'm one of his regular trial guinea pigs. You should look into those BigBoosting if you want to really reduce your out of pocket expenditures. You get lots of testing, they provide strips and study medication, and then often a check at the end of the study.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #19
MKSixer
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:

Choose a good physician and learn to trust him/her.

Dr. Internet has no real credentials and has yet to actually save a real patient. He has, however, caused a ton of angst, consternation and is the primary proliferator of bad medicine.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #20
MKSixer
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I've ben type 1 for 35 years and I STILL get samples from my endo. I looked him up on that website and he only received about $70 from the one I am getting currently. His BIG funding came as a guest lecturer about some other monitoring device he hasn't spoken to me about yet, but maybe it's for a different endo disease.

I'm one of his regular trial guinea pigs. You should look into those BigBoosting if you want to really reduce your out of pocket expenditures. You get lots of testing, they provide strips and study medication, and then often a check at the end of the study.
I formerly worked in the diabetes space and really miss it. Some of the best physicians and absolutely the most appreciative patients, bar none.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #21
ScottSinger
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Doctors can get money from drug companies, and if docs have a partnership in scan business

Like other medical device makers, OtisMed marketed directly to providers. And it had a powerful message for them: The OtisKnee would simplify surgery and bring in extra revenue from additional M.R.I. scans, according to Justice Department case filings.

Ornstein continued, "It's illegal to give kickbacks to a doctor to prescribe drugs, but it is legal to give money to doctors to help promote your drug. Some doctors make tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars a year beyond their normal practice just for working with the industry."
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
Kong Sheng Han
你的阴茎很小。
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

Choose a good physician and learn to trust him/her.

Dr. Internet has no real credentials and has yet to actually save a real patient. He has, however, caused a ton of angst, consternation and is the primary proliferator of bad medicine.

Cheers-mk
I was looking for a new PCP at the time that didn't cater to children, as I was ~16. I think I have found a physician and PA I can trust now.

Dr. Internet, as I stated in another post, was a federal agency, most likely FDA. I trust that the FDA's information regarding what the medication is meant to treat is correct, since after all, they are responsible for regulating drugs.
Appreciate 1