E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY -Illuminated sunglass tray



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
FrankoQ's Avatar DIY -Illuminated sunglass tray
FrankoQ
10-08-2006
If you are switching from the cigarrete tray to the sunglasses tray and want
to keep the little light inside... this is how to do it.

1) This are the instructions to replace the tray:
Click here to read the entire tutorial
  #22  
By Mystic330 on 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM
dejav0o - There are 2 seperate power circuits in that harness.
The connector has 3 wires:
-One is ground which is shared
-One is 12V to the power socket in the ashtray (which was replaced and now runs back to the rear plugs)
-And one is the power feed to the LEDs.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
By dejav0o on 10-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the explanation guys... it makes sense now, since you're basically just routing whatever power went to the cigerette lighter to the back now. I just wasn't thinking it through correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
By dejav0o on 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
In case anyone was still confused about prying off the lid ( I thought I understood completely until I was looking at it and accidentally pryed the aluminum instead), you want to reach under the plastic part and start prying from one side to the other. What worked for me was to try to insert the screw driver in as far as possible and giving it a twist to pop out the latch holding it from the side. REPEAT, DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE ALUMINUM/WOOD PART FROM THE PLASTIC. I wish I took a picture at the time I removed it....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
By Chesmu on 03-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Just did this install today. I found it much easier to mount the LED to the front of the tray instead of the back. That way you don't have to take the sunglass tray apart (not easy) and put it back together again (not easier).

Thanks Frank!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
By FrankoQ on 03-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu View Post
Just did this install today. I found it much easier to mount the LED to the front of the tray instead of the back. That way you don't have to take the sunglass tray apart (not easy) and put it back together again (not easier).

Thanks Frank!
No problemo.

Could you post pics of yours?
I'm curious to see how it looks like with the lights at front.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
By ilshim on 04-01-2007, 03:27 AM
thanks for the idea and pictures. did mine today!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
By Gixxer335iCoupe on 10-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Any idea where I can get a bunch of these:


I'd like to put some under the dash so they softly shine on the footwell.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
By Spool on 10-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Frank, how do you find time to do these things? Looks great, can i buy that off of you? And you buy another one and make the same DIY?


But i'm rice, i want the LEDs to be neon blue
Reply With Quote
  #30  
By FrankoQ on 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer335iCoupe View Post
Any idea where I can get a bunch of these:


I'd like to put some under the dash so they softly shine on the footwell.
Nice idea.
Not sure you can get them like that, but you can probably be able to buy the leds and other pieces from Radio Shack.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
By FrankoQ on 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Frank, how do you find time to do these things? Looks great, can i buy that off of you? And you buy another one and make the same DIY?


But i'm rice, i want the LEDs to be neon blue
Easy. I give the wife 2 options:
1)Stay home playing with my car
2) go out with my friends.
Why does she always picks #1?

Buy the sunglasses tray and give it to me...I'll do the rest.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
By Gixxer335iCoupe on 10-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
Nice idea.
Not sure you can get them like that, but you can probably be able to buy the leds and other pieces from Radio Shack.
I want the amber color to match th rest of the car's lighting. I'll check out radio shack tonight to see if they have anything close.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
By FrankoQ on 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer335iCoupe View Post
I want the amber color to match th rest of the car's lighting. I'll check out radio shack tonight to see if they have anything close.
If no luck at Radio Shack, I suggest you PM MDS82.
He has been doing a lot of work with leds and might be able to point you to a site that has more variety of bulbs and colors.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
By Gixxer335iCoupe on 10-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Radioshack has amber colored LEDs but they arent red enough.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
By va_lemon on 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 87%
Got the sunglass tray installed with the LEDs mounted on the front rather than back. One thing I noticed after the install was that the gear selector light on the auto shifter base plate remains on even after the car has been turned off and all the lights go off. Anyone else have this happen? Mine's a 2008 335 Coupe.

I even disconnected the sunglass tray LEDs from the socket to see if I messed up on connecting the brown wires together. If I disconnect the blue plug on the left side of the auto shifter, the light turns off but without that plug connected you cannot switch to DS mode.

Any ideas? I haven't seen or experienced any other problems. How long might it take for that light staying on to drain the battery?

EDIT: I've read about other BMW models that go into sleep mode after 16 mins and that's when the light goes out. I checked after 16 mins and the light's still on. Does anyone know if the time to sleep for the 07-08 s-series is also 16 mins? Could something be keeping it from going to sleep?

EDIT #2: Nevermind. solefald was kind enough to reply to my post in another forum that all BMW autos (at least the 3-series) do that. I guess I just noticed it after I walked back to the car in the dark for the first time since I picked it up Friday. A couple of the other threads confirmed this too.
Last edited by va_lemon; 06-09-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
By FrankoQ on 06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lemon View Post
Got the sunglass tray installed with the LEDs mounted on the front rather than back. One thing I noticed after the install was that the gear selector light on the auto shifter base plate remains on even after the car has been turned off and all the lights go off. Anyone else have this happen? Mine's a 2008 335 Coupe.

I even disconnected the sunglass tray LEDs from the socket to see if I messed up on connecting the brown wires together. If I disconnect the blue plug on the left side of the auto shifter, the light turns off but without that plug connected you cannot switch to DS mode.

Any ideas? I haven't seen or experienced any other problems. How long might it take for that light staying on to drain the battery?

EDIT: I've read about other BMW models that go into sleep mode after 16 mins and that's when the light goes out. I checked after 16 mins and the light's still on. Does anyone know if the time to sleep for the 07-08 s-series is also 16 mins? Could something be keeping it from going to sleep?

EDIT #2: Nevermind. solefald was kind enough to reply to my post in another forum that all BMW autos (at least the 3-series) do that. I guess I just noticed it after I walked back to the car in the dark for the first time since I picked it up Friday. A couple of the other threads confirmed this too.
Could you post pics of your install?

As for the permanent light, yes it stays on always.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
By jaypeeaf on 10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o View Post
In case anyone was still confused about prying off the lid ( I thought I understood completely until I was looking at it and accidentally pryed the aluminum instead), you want to reach under the plastic part and start prying from one side to the other. What worked for me was to try to insert the screw driver in as far as possible and giving it a twist to pop out the latch holding it from the side. REPEAT, DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE ALUMINUM/WOOD PART FROM THE PLASTIC. I wish I took a picture at the time I removed it....
DAMN! I wish I had read this before. I definitely chipped and scratched the hell out of my trim today trying to remove it. DAMN! Is there a way to buy a replacement part?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
By FrankoQ on 10-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeeaf View Post
DAMN! I wish I had read this before. I definitely chipped and scratched the hell out of my trim today trying to remove it. DAMN! Is there a way to buy a replacement part?!?!
Yes but it's not cheap.
you can also try a junk yard.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
By xEcUtEr on 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
nice bit eheheh i'll do this!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
By McMuffin on 08-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Damn! I want this... Good DIY write up...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
By d33v00n3h on 06-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah so I have tried and tried some more to take apart the sunglasses holder so I'll be able to drill holes for the lights, but I have come up unsuccessful. Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
By Kolyan2k on 09-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Here is my DIY

here u go. i drilled holes straight through those useless "tubes" on both side of ashtray and sunglasses holder. i then used epoxy to glue the lights straight to them. this way the light comes in, but you dont even see the bulbs. dont make mistake that i did. if you get epoxy, make sure you mix it good !



Reply With Quote
  #43  
By rummy on 10-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
40%40%40%
2
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 60%
Did this tonight. Pretty straight forward. I wish I had aligned the holes a little better, but overall, it's a great mod, and it looks awesome.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST