E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Terrorism Suspect Asks Judge to Dismiss Case

12-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
purespeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 67 cobra

Terrorism Suspect Asks Judge to Dismiss Case

December 1, 2009, 4:47 pm By BENJAMIN WEISER

Lawyers for a terrorism suspect once held at Guantánamo Bay who is now facing prosecution in Manhattan asked a judge on Tuesday to dismiss his case on the ground that his nearly five years in detention denied him his constitutional right to a speedy trial.

The terrorism suspect, Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, was captured in Pakistan in 2004, held for two years in secret prisons run by the C.I.A., and then moved in 2006 to the naval base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. During his detention, he says, he was subjected to cruel interrogation techniques and denied a lawyer.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-dismiss-case/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I think he should at least be given an opportunity to prove himself.....Whether guilty or innocent.

It's always a good idea to hear a person out, before judging.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

We shouldn't waste the money on these fellas, just give me about 6 dollars and my M1 Garand will happily do them justice.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
shpirate87
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I think he should at least be given an opportunity to prove himself.....Whether guilty or innocent.

It's always a good idea to hear a person out, before judging.
Are we at war?

If this guy is an enemy combatant, detain him until hostilities cease.

If he is a war criminal, try him before a military commission and execute him.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

I realize they're doing this in hopes that a "fair trial" will show the rest of the world what nice guys we are. The problem I have is how can you claim it's a "fair trial" while openly telling everyone they will be found guilty. Are we predetermining trial verdicts now?

If they're found guilty the rest of the world will claim it was a show trial and you'll see riots overseas.
If they're found innocent the country will be furious and you'll see riots here.
I don't see this turning out well.

Regardless of what happens, the whole thing will be a circus and we're playing the part of the clowns.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Should have just injected him and claimed it was natural causes. Would have been a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
purespeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 67 cobra

AG Eric Holder's statement that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed will remain in custody no matter what the verdict in his upcoming Manhattan trial, coupled with Obama's instructions to the jury that KSM be "convicted and executed", reveals the entire exercise as a show trial, a ritual effort intended not to achieve justice, but to make a public political point. The question is, what could that point possibly be?

A closer look at Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Apart from his involvement in murdering nearly three thousand people, what is he known for? Well, above all, he's the most prominent victim of Bush administration "torture", under the new definition of the term, that is, being made excessively uncomfortable for repeated short periods for purposes of breaking resistance to interrogation.

That's where we find our answer. The KSM show trial is not aimed at terrorists, or at an international audience. It's aimed, in the classic sense, at domestic enemies. Holder has been transparently eager to prosecute Bush officials involved in "torture" but was evidently told to low-key the effort -- little has been heard of it since the first announcement last Spring. But here he has a workable substitute. There's no question that torture will come up -- really, it's the only thing that the defense has. Endless discovery requests will be made for classified material concerning KSM's interrogations. These requests will be subject to interminable public debate. The material that is provided will be leaked, to appear in the media and provide Democrats with opportunities to attack the GOP. The entire exercise will be turned into an indictment of the Bush administration, with the actual facts of the case -- the terrorist murder of thousands of Americans -- relegated to the background. And if the prosecution collapses (a distinct possibility), why, it's all Bush's fault.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009...show_trial.html
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
EDK99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E85 M

^ +1

This trial has nothing to do with KSM and has everything to do with putting the previous administration on trial.

It is mind boggling that anyone thinks this is a good thing for this country.
      12-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Guilt should either be proven or they should be released.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
lib
Major
Rep

^ We've already been told that neither of those outcomes will occur. So now what?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Yes he should be released with blueprints and all plans and security codes pertaining to all important Canadian buildings.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yes he should be released with blueprints and all plans and security codes pertaining to all important Canadian buildings.
Something tells me that we are not the terrorist's prime target.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
lib
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Just the plans to the Labatt brewery then?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
shpirate87
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Something tells me that we are not the terrorist's prime target.
Nobody told that to these guys.

Massive terror attack averted: RCMP
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
EDK99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E85 M

Quote:
KSM has already claimed responsibility and guilt and has asked to be executed. What else do we have to prove?
      12-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_335i View Post
KSM has already claimed responsibility and guilt and has asked to be executed. What else do we have to prove?
What are we waiting for then?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #17
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Numbnuts. quiet. there is a place worse than death, it is called a supermax prison. 23 out of 24 hours solitary. 1 hour solitary per day exercise. I would sooner die. thats where these boys will end up.

settle down. thats where this country puts the people that has truly pissed it off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermax
      12-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
Numbnuts. quiet. there is a place worse than death, it is called a supermax prison. 23 out of 24 hours solitary. 1 hour solitary per day exercise. I would sooner die. thats where these boys will end up.

settle down. thats where this country puts the people that has truly pissed it off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermax
Isn't it cheaper to keep them there anyways? I remember reading someone that the costs of the death penalty surpass those of confinement because of the appeals process and what not.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Isn't it cheaper to keep them there anyways? I remember reading someone that the costs of the death penalty surpass those of confinement because of the appeals process and what not.
Its not about the cost. Its a form of torture.
      12-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #20
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
Its not about the cost. Its a form of torture.

I'd imagine so, shouldn't take long for someone to lose their mind in those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #21
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd imagine so, shouldn't take long for someone to lose their mind in those conditions.
Correct.
      12-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #22
lib
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm fairly certain a few of these guys lost their minds quite a while ago.

KSM for example. If you think that guy's playing with a full deck you should Google the Daniel Pearl video (warning: graphic). If you watch it, remember that KSM claims to be the guy with the machete.

In his own words:
“I decapitated with my blessed right hand the head of the American Jew, Daniel Pearl, in the city of Karachi, Pakistan [...] For those who would like to confirm, there are pictures of me on the Internet holding his head,”
Appreciate 0