E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > 68 years

12-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

68 years

December 7, 1941 - Seems like most people around have kinda just forgotten about the significance of today. I've heard nothing on the media, seen nothing in the papers, but today marks 68 years since the, then cowards from the land of the rising sun, attacked Pearl Harbor. Lest we forget what the greatest generation did for this country and the sacrifices they made. Bless the fallen, and those whom they are survived by.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

How were they cowards? Yeah it ended up being a surprise attack, but that is due to the diplomats in DC messed everything up on their end. They were supposed to have the declaration of war given to our government an hour before the attack( or was it 30 minutes bah! lol ).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
How were they cowards? Yeah it ended up being a surprise attack, but that is due to the diplomats in DC messed everything up on their end. They were supposed to have the declaration of war given to our government an hour before the attack( or was it 30 minutes bah! lol ).
They were cowards, for even thinking for a moment that they could join the axis and conquer the world. I could give two shits if they were "supposed" to have the declaration of war on our government's desk. The japanese were a bunch of ruthless cowards throughout the war, with all of their beheadings, kamikaze pilots, etc. Well, they got what they deserved, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and no full blown military, only a "self defense force." At least even the nazi's had the common courtesy to abide by the geneva convention of 1929.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
jhv
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
They were cowards, for even thinking for a moment that they could join the axis and conquer the world. I could give two shits if they were "supposed" to have the declaration of war on our government's desk. The japanese were a bunch of ruthless cowards throughout the war, with all of their beheadings, kamikaze pilots, etc. Well, they got what they deserved, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and no full blown military, only a "self defense force." At least even the nazi's had the common courtesy to abide by the geneva convention of 1929.
this is close to the dumbest thing ive ever seen posted in this forum.
      12-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, the nazis somewhat abided by the geneva convention, point is, the Japanese were not exactly known for treating enemy POWs with any amount of humanity, their partners in crime were just a little better at it. There is plenty of evidence and accounts of the ruthless atrocities committed by the imperial military. While, the nazis may not have been much better in the treatment of POWs, they did not behead them at a moments notice for no apparent reason. Read up on your history if you do not believe me. Yeah the nazis force-marched many American POWs, where the Japanese just said "fuck it" and killed em. I'm not going to apologize for saying they got what they deserved, because they did. While it was a very unfortunate event for the innocent civilians that were killed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we dropped those bombs with fair warning and saved the lives of tens of thousands of American military. Had we conducted the land based invasion of Japan, close to the same number of civilians likely would have been lost through artillery and aerial bombing, on top of the tens of thousands of Americans who would have likely been killed in battle as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
jhv
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Every Day

Quote:
Ok, the nazis somewhat abided by the geneva convention, point is, the japanese were not exactly known for treating enemy POWs with any amount of humanity, their partners in crime were just a little better at it.
youre either a really good troll or a person with a messed up though-process.
      12-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
youre either a really good troll or a person with a messed up though-process.
Care to explain? Why do I have a messed up thought process? Because Im stating fact, that the nazis did not treat american pows as harshly? If you're thinking about their treatment of the soviets, then yeah, they're just as bad if not worse than the japanese. And no, I haven't forgotten about how those nazi bastards killed over 6 million jews. But that is a whole other story in itself, as we all know. The general consensus is that nazi germany was not as brutal toward American POWs as the Japanese were. How is that a messed up though process on my behalf? And by no means do I condone the actions of any of the axis powers, I'm just merely stating fact.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Have you seen the reports of suffering in the areas that were bombed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Have you seen the monument the JAPANESE built, praying that this type of horrendous death from the clouds never agains happens to another HUMAN BEING? It's been 5 years since I saw th memorial in Nagasaki, and it still touches me about the lack of water, to the point it even makes me want to ensure my CHICKENS have water on a daily basis.

I actually did hear reports on the radio, reminding me of the infamy that is Dec. 7. War is HELL, it doesn't really matter that much how you kill somebody, they still are deprived of life and any chance of happiness or reaching of their personal potential.

God bless (and forgive) all those who thought they were doing the right thing by their country, and made the ultimate sacifice of life/limb. Also, grant peace to those whom have made decisions that scar their souls for eternity.

Best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
Ok, the nazis somewhat abided by the geneva convention, point is, the Japanese were not exactly known for treating enemy POWs with any amount of humanity, their partners in crime were just a little better at it. There is plenty of evidence and accounts of the ruthless atrocities committed by the imperial military. While, the nazis may not have been much better in the treatment of POWs, they did not behead them at a moments notice for no apparent reason. Read up on your history if you do not believe me. Yeah the nazis force-marched many American POWs, where the Japanese just said "fuck it" and killed em. I'm not going to apologize for saying they got what they deserved, because they did. While it was a very unfortunate event for the innocent civilians that were killed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we dropped those bombs with fair warning and saved the lives of tens of thousands of American military. Had we conducted the land based invasion of Japan, close to the same number of civilians likely would have been lost through artillery and aerial bombing, on top of the tens of thousands of Americans who would have likely been killed in battle as well.
Yeah... because we didn't have interment camps for the Japanese all over US soil or anything... 120,000 Japanese Americans.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 07 GTI

Wow, this guy can hold a grudge.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Have you seen the reports of suffering in the areas that were bombed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Have you seen the monument the JAPANESE built, praying that this type of horrendous death from the clouds never agains happens to another HUMAN BEING? It's been 5 years since I saw th memorial in Nagasaki, and it still touches me about the lack of water, to the point it even makes me want to ensure my CHICKENS have water on a daily basis.

I actually did hear reports on the radio, reminding me of the infamy that is Dec. 7. War is HELL, it doesn't really matter that much how you kill somebody, they still are deprived of life and any chance of happiness or reaching of their personal potential.

God bless (and forgive) all those who thought they were doing the right thing by their country, and made the ultimate sacifice of life/limb. Also, grant peace to those whom have made decisions that scar their souls for eternity.

Best regards,
Wede
Yes, I have seen the monuments, several times actually. It is quite humbling, and I too pray that no one has to suffer the aftermath of an atomic weapon ever again. I can respect the fact that they built the peace monuments, but Japan's "big 6" brought it upon the country. They COULD have surrendered, but nope, they were too proud of the fact that their country had never been invaded or surrendered in a couple thousand years.

And Peanuto,

I'm quite aware of the interment camps the US had, but we did not torture, maim, and kill off these people. In fact, we even gave them a chance to prove their loyalty to the United States by serving in the military! Ever heard of the 442nd infantry? It was made up of thousands of Japanese-Americans, many of which came from interment camps. BTW it was a very highly decorated regiment, a plethora of their soldiers were awarded the CMoH.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
Wow, this guy can hold a grudge.
And, if that's directed at me. I hold no grudge. I enjoy Japan, and like all the people I met there quite a bit! My statements are regarding WWII and the Japanese military...back then...64 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
Searcher821
I find stuff
Rep

Drives: Jet pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
this is close to the dumbest thing ive ever seen posted in this forum.
+1

"The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I have seen the monuments, several times actually. It is quite humbling, and I too pray that no one has to suffer the aftermath of an atomic weapon ever again. I can respect the fact that they built the peace monuments, but Japan's "big 6" brought it upon the country. They COULD have surrendered, but nope, they were too proud of the fact that their country had never been invaded or surrendered in a couple thousand years.
It was not just the Japanese government/military that proud about never losing/being invaded the citizens were proud of that fact as well. Did you see the reports/videos( especially WWII in HD on the history channel) then when the American troops invaded Japanese islands, the citizens themselves also believed in the no surrender thing? They were jumping off cliffs because they did not want to be captured by the American troops.

You clearly don't understand the Japanese culture at the time. They were a win or die society. Would die for their country instead of surrendering. In matter of fact, I would call that the opposite of cowardly. And the mess up with the declaration of war was a huge blunder to the Japanese. They were ashamed that it ended up being a surprise attack.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
And the mess up with the declaration of war was a huge blunder to the Japanese. They were ashamed that it ended up being a surprise attack.

You learn something new every day; I did not know that.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Quote:
You learn something new every day; I did not know that.
Just. please. stop. Your thoughts and your posts are mind numbing. Go. somewhere. else. Please.
      12-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 5.0

Wait, so if the declaration of war had been delivered when they intended then you would consider them not cowardly? Giving us 30 minutes to defend ourselves?

2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #18
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So if a post in the politics/religion section ruffles your feathers, you tell someone to go away? lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
Wait, so if the declaration of war had been delivered when they intended then you would consider them not cowardly? Giving us 30 minutes to defend ourselves?
The Japanese did believe that your enemy has to be aware they were about to be killed. Don't have to give them fair warning though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #20
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 5.0

The point is that whether the declaration is delivered on time or not, their actions still essentially amounted to a surprise attack, which might then reasonably be equated with cowardice.

2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #21
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
The point is that whether the declaration is delivered on time or not, their actions still essentially amounted to a surprise attack, which might then reasonably be equated with cowardice.
All attacks are preferred to be a surprise. You think the American troops and generals would prefer a way for us to sneak on Iwo Jima to catch the Japanese off guard instead of them being ready to defend the island?

What is meant when people say Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack is that there was no declaration of war before the attack. Nothing that says, " We could be attacked any second now". If the declaration of war was given 30-60 minutes before the attack was supposed to take place, we would still know( maybe not the intended target) that an attack was possible any second and we wouldn't be standing going, "WTF!?!! WHY DID YOU JUST ATTACK US??"
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #22
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
There are millions of jewish people that would be debate this statement with you. You ever hear of the Holocaust?