E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Hard water spots....



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Zero.7
Colonel
 
Zero.7's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Msprt
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SOC

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (6)

Hard water spots....

Hey everyone. I can't complain too much about the weather in sunny Socal, but recently, we have had some rain (I know, boo hoo...).

Well, I don't mind the rain, BUT here in Socal, it'll rain for a few hours, then suddenly, it gets sunny for an hour or so, then maybe rain again! So, of course, when it's sunny after the rain, my car get these annoying hard water/rain spots. I have BSM, so I have to be so careful as not to induce swirls. So, what do you guys recommend to remove stubborn hard water spots. Thank you so much for any advice/recommendations.
__________________

'09 e90 AW 335i M-sport
6-speed Manual
BMW PPK 1 / BMW Perf. Exhaust and Gloss black grilles / 19" BMW 313 Perf. wheels / BMW Perf. aero side skirts and rear diffuser
Zero.7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
 
TOGWT's Avatar
 
Drives: 630i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL / London, UK

Posts: 767
iTrader: (0)

Removal of Water Spots http://************/kvgmf3

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
TOGWT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
 
UncleWede's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

Posts: 2,317
iTrader: (0)

Wax/sealant before it rains. Rain in SoCal really shouldn't cause hard water spots. It may look that way because the dirt pooled and dried. Wax/selaant will protect the surface so that when your slightly dusty car gets a few drops, the winds of driving will whisk most of it off before it can dry.

Best regards,
Wede
UncleWede is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,133
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Removal of Water Spots http://************/kvgmf3

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Very nice write up
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Zero.7
Colonel
 
Zero.7's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Msprt
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SOC

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Wax/sealant before it rains. Rain in SoCal really shouldn't cause hard water spots. It may look that way because the dirt pooled and dried. Wax/selaant will protect the surface so that when your slightly dusty car gets a few drops, the winds of driving will whisk most of it off before it can dry.

Best regards,
Wede
Maybe "hardwater" wasn't the right word. But yeah, my car had been sealed about 1.5 months ago. I know what you mean about the little "dirt" spots, but when you look really closely at the paint, you can see the outlining borders of these spots! The center is clear, but you can see the edges of these spots. There seem almost to be etched in or something
__________________

'09 e90 AW 335i M-sport
6-speed Manual
BMW PPK 1 / BMW Perf. Exhaust and Gloss black grilles / 19" BMW 313 Perf. wheels / BMW Perf. aero side skirts and rear diffuser
Zero.7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Zero.7
Colonel
 
Zero.7's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Msprt
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SOC

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Removal of Water Spots http://************/kvgmf3

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Wow. Great write up. I will give some of your suggestions a try. I don't have all the necessary equipment/product, but do have similar products. Thanks again
__________________

'09 e90 AW 335i M-sport
6-speed Manual
BMW PPK 1 / BMW Perf. Exhaust and Gloss black grilles / 19" BMW 313 Perf. wheels / BMW Perf. aero side skirts and rear diffuser
Zero.7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
BK
Smiling politely
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 7,914
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
Maybe "hardwater" wasn't the right word. But yeah, my car had been sealed about 1.5 months ago. I know what you mean about the little "dirt" spots, but when you look really closely at the paint, you can see the outlining borders of these spots! The center is clear, but you can see the edges of these spots. There seem almost to be etched in or something
Some of them will etch. That's just how it is for a DD. If you clean regularly and keep your car protected, it keeps this to a minimum, but occasionally, one or two spots will just be a PITA and leave their mark behind.

I take very good care of my paint, yet every six months or so, I have a few water spot marks that need to be polished out, along with the usual mild swirls that you get over time. I've learned to accept it as something beyond my control.
__________________

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Zero.7
Colonel
 
Zero.7's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Msprt
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SOC

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Some of them will etch. That's just how it is for a DD. If you clean regularly and keep your car protected, it keeps this to a minimum, but occasionally, one or two spots will just be a PITA and leave their mark behind.

I take very good care of my paint, yet every six months or so, I have a few water spot marks that need to be polished out, along with the usual mild swirls that you get over time. I've learned to accept it as something beyond my control.
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that you take really good care of your car, yet will still get these marks. I consider myself pretty diligent too when it comes to taking car of my car's exterior. But you're right, somethings are just out of your hands. I will try the 2:1 water:isopropyl combination. Have you tried that before?
__________________

'09 e90 AW 335i M-sport
6-speed Manual
BMW PPK 1 / BMW Perf. Exhaust and Gloss black grilles / 19" BMW 313 Perf. wheels / BMW Perf. aero side skirts and rear diffuser
Zero.7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 7,914
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
I will try the 2:1 water:isopropyl combination. Have you tried that before?
I've used clay, paint cleanser, vinegar, and Scratch-X by hand, and have had varying levels of success. I use IPA as a wipedown when I polish, but haven't tried it on water spots. If you do this, make sure you re-wax or re-seal the spot, because IPA will strip your LSP. Well, I guess all those things will strip the LSP.

In any case, I just don't worry about them so much anymore. I know that's not the greatest answer for a detailing forum. But if you wash often, you should have very few spots that actually etch. When I see water spots, I clean them the best I can and if there is etching left behind (rare, but it happens), then it's pretty much impossible to see except with a bright directional light source, so I'll just take care of it the next polish. When I polish every six months, there's bound to be at least one or two on the trunk, maybe one or two on the hood or roof, too. Since my car is my daily driver, I've come to grips with letting a few things go... but just a few, and only if it isn't visible to anyone except other detailers.
__________________

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
 
pander5's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I had a customer that wanted severe water spots removed from the passenger side. She gets the "sprinkler" side of the driveway at home! I used Zaino ZPC and before buffing spritzed the panels with white distilled vinegar straight. I ran the risk of ZPC and the vinegar not being chemically compatible but it worked like a charm. Obviously I replaced the LSP that was removed by the process.

I also like Zaino All In One chemical cleaner for lighter spotting. Don't be afraid to exert some pressure and slow down your passes.
__________________
M3 + trailer hitch = oxymoron
pander5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
TOGWT
Captain
 
TOGWT's Avatar
 
Drives: 630i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL / London, UK

Posts: 767
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
Wow. Great write up. I will give some of your suggestions a try. I don't have all the necessary equipment/product, but do have similar products. Thanks again
Thank you for those kind words. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
TOGWT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST