E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Window mechanism freezing in cold temperatures.

12-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Nafta
Elite Member

Drives: E92 328

Window mechanism freezing in cold temperatures.

For the E92ers and possibly the rest of the E9Xers.

Have your windows gotten stuck in the winter? I was able to open my door this morning, but wasn't able to close it properly because the window wouldn't go down that centimeter or so to tuck underneath the frame.

In warmer weather, the window normally slides down slightly when I open the door and then slides back up as soon as the door shuts.

Any advice? It worries me a little when I leave the car unattended while at work and the door/window won't closing properly....especially in winter weather.
Nafta is offline   Canada
      12-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Kylekuu
Captain

Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

had the same problem, went out and bought some silicone spray, not really a name brand, just goto local store. Spray it on a towel and then wipe the over the seals.

Also, with windows another thing is the window seal thing, theres another spray i used. prestone, de-icer, it's in a yellow spray bottle and that works well too. works for both the wipers freezing onto windsheild and the window seals, just need to spray it on the outside.

There's another spray but i don't see it as often anymore, but it's called "the night before spray" some crap like that, but it prevents ice from forming on windsheilds, i use it for my windows and that worked too
      12-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
DJKhan85
Major

Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

Same problem here as well. I just walk out with some warm water but that deicer spray seems like the ticket. I'm also going to treat the rubber seals and see if that does anything. I fell like an ass sitting there with my door opened waiting for the window to slide down.
DJKhan85 is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
      12-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Socom
BMWCCA since '03

Drives: 2015 435i

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...urce=AS%206500
Socom is offline   United_States
      12-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
e60_M5_2020
Private First Class

Drives: Red on Chrome

When I had my last BMW I used a credit card to free the window by gently running it between the window and the seal. I have to open my window every morning, so I need to make sure it's not iced over before I head to work. I plan to do this with the coupe, before I open the door, to let the autodrop work.

For serious icing, I've always had to use a tool, but I might look into a de-icing spray.

http://www.prestone.com/products/iceFighters.php