E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Blower doesnt work when the car is Cold? WTF?

12-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
bluskye
Registered

Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
^^ will look for it.

But I think I can fight them for the whole $50 copay if I wanted to, but its not worth it, for those that know me since I joined here, I have had a ton of minor yet annoying issues come up with my used cpo 3 series, but so far everything until this has been 100% free goodwilled work.

Also it froze again this morning at 14F and once the inside of the vehicle started to warm up, (10 mins) Boom right back working again, but squealing at the same time on low levels.

Oh well our babies were meant for Florida or the Bahamas and shyt not the cold. At least the way I have been hearing anyways.

PS the washer fluid still is not frozen since switching to Rain X de-icer HAHAHHAHA
Was this issue resolved for you? I am having the same problem during cold days.
      12-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
goff
///M Tech

Drives: E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to goff
Condensation gets onto the blower motor, rusting the shaft. The blower will start to stick and eventually just stop moving.

Check for any water leaks, most of the time come from improper windshield installs or a lifting cowel at the base of the windshield. The blower needs to be replaced either way...
goff is offline   United_States
      12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #25
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←

Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goff View Post
Condensation gets onto the blower motor, rusting the shaft. The blower will start to stick and eventually just stop moving.

Check for any water leaks, most of the time come from improper windshield installs or a lifting cowel at the base of the windshield. The blower needs to be replaced either way...
Its ODD you say this since I had to have the windshield reset and the cowl was warped bad too.

UPDATE:

I just got my vehicle back this morning from dropping it off yesterday and they did the following:

1. Replaced blower motor (part #64119144200)
2. Reset the Cowl seal on lower windshield, which is still not 100% perfect
3. Checked my starter out, said the minor grinding is not bad enough to warrant a swap out yet, but it is noted on my acct and I will not be charged the CPO fee when or if it goes bad.
4. Inspected for leaks for entire washer fluid system because I had that freeze up 2 weeks ago and I was afraid of a leak or cracks somewhere, BUT none were found.
5. Steering wheel volume button clicking, but they said its within spec and noted on acct if it stops working, it will be replaced for free.

So all in all I got to drive a 2008 535i series overnight and got a new blower motor assm. and had the above all done for an out of pocket cost of $60. ($10 gas for loaner and $50 fee for CPO copay)

I added up the labor and part cost for all the above and it would of been $525.18 if I did not have CPO warranty.

P.S. on the included pic it was #11 that was replaced
Attached Images

MrDummy is offline   United_States
      12-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #26
Hoog_23
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i/535i

Interesting. I had 2 replacemenet windshields on my 330.

I just traded it so I'll never know what the blower issue was. It may have been battery related since I suspect it was on the way out.
      12-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #27
goff
///M Tech

Drives: E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to goff
Quote:
Its ODD you say this since I had to have the windshield reset and the cowl was warped bad too.
There's a service bulletin regarding this. Plus I'm a tech so I see this all the time
goff is offline   United_States
      12-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #28
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
^^^ so if the cowl rubber seal is not flush onto the bottom of the windshield will it cause an internal leak?

The tech I ask yesterday said NO, the water just runs under the cowl and onto the ground?

Also do you know what specific area the tech had to remove to get to the blower motor? I always like to double check their work to make sure they didnt rush and miss a screw or not tighten something correctly?

On the service paperwork it said they took cowl completely apart and re-installed it since a seal was not all the way down causing it to be a little warped, now it is clicked into place but one side feels loose and has a small gap in it where water can get down there.

THANKS for any comments on this. OH and I wonder if I should of fought paying for it due to the fact that I had the windshield problem. They told me it slid down and they had to reset it cause it was pushing the cowl out of place.

Oh well I guess its only $50 , but still.
      01-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #29
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant

Drives: AW 07 e90 335i

does anyone know exactly what has to be removed to get to the blower?

mine's not working and the stealership wants almost $600 to fix (no warranty). i'll take a look when i get the car back, but i'm guessing i'll just start removing cowls and seals until i see it? anyone have experience with this? thanks
      01-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #30
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I was told by tech that it is right behind the glovebox and you have to remove the pass. kick panel
      01-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #31
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant

Drives: AW 07 e90 335i

Quote:
I was told by tech that it is right behind the glovebox and you have to remove the pass. kick panel
thanks