E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extended MAINTENANCE - what should I expect $$



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
richmondmike
Enlisted Member
richmondmike's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i Black Coupe Loaded
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (1)

Extended MAINTENANCE - what should I expect $$

Hi,

I'm about to plunk down for an extended maintenance plan, wanted to be sure what I'm paying is lining up. I hear BMW is making this a pretty cut and dry thing, but in my searching I'm finding difference.

It's for my wife's 328i Sport Wagon with 35K on the clock, and it's a CPO with the 100K warranty.

Dealer is quoting us $2195 for maint' to be covered until 2013 or 100K.

Consistent?

And thank you,

m
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
mandalyn
New Member
1
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondmike View Post
Hi,

I'm about to plunk down for an extended maintenance plan, wanted to be sure what I'm paying is lining up. I hear BMW is making this a pretty cut and dry thing, but in my searching I'm finding difference.

It's for my wife's 328i Sport Wagon with 35K on the clock, and it's a CPO with the 100K warranty.

Dealer is quoting us $2195 for maint' to be covered until 2013 or 100K.

Consistent?

And thank you,

m
Hi. I was told by my dealer that the extended maintenance paid for everything just like the original and got told it would cost about $2200 for an extra 2 years/50,000 miles basically taking my car to the same as your wife's. Now from what I am understanding on here, the extended maintenance is not so much worth it, but that is my dilemma at the moment is whether to get the extended maintenance or not. I'm leaning towards not right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
DrGP's Avatar
45
Rep
1,916
Posts

 
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalyn View Post
Hi. I was told by my dealer that the extended maintenance paid for everything just like the original and got told it would cost about $2200 for an extra 2 years/50,000 miles basically taking my car to the same as your wife's. Now from what I am understanding on here, the extended maintenance is not so much worth it, but that is my dilemma at the moment is whether to get the extended maintenance or not. I'm leaning towards not right now.
Not sure what your time frame of ownership is, but as I understand it, you can buy the extended warranty anytime as long as original factory warranty is in effect. So you don't have to buy it initially. You can decide if you need it down the road so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Duhst
That Go
Duhst's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
7,415
Posts

 
Drives: AW e90
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vegas?

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Duhst
FINALLY, i have the same thing on my mind. but my clock is at 45k so i need to make a choice QUICK! just trying to figure out if its worth it...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
mandalyn
New Member
1
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
Not sure what your time frame of ownership is, but as I understand it, you can buy the extended warranty anytime as long as original factory warranty is in effect. So you don't have to buy it initially. You can decide if you need it down the road so to speak.
I have 12,000 to go before I have to decide (and I do alot of driving) so that's why I'm trying to get advice/opinions now. I don't mind changing my own oil or doing the small basic stuff, it's just stuff that the extended warranty might cover that might make it more worth my while to buy it. In the grand scheme of things $2200 isn't all that much, but if it's not really worth spending the money then I don't want to shell it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
sleepyx637
Captain
10
Rep
949
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: troll land

iTrader: (0)

You guys should note that extended maintenance and extended warranty are two different items. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like extended maintenance is worth it. However, if your car has had a history of problems and you still want to keep it, you should definitely consider an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
ucdbiendog
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
265
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi 4dr
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Millbrae, ca

iTrader: (0)

i think I paid $2200 for the extended maintenance plan (+2 yrs/50k mi), but have read numerous times that people have gotten it for less than 2k (~$1700 sounds right?). If you think it's worth it at 2200, then you didn't get screwed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
elektra_e90
Private First Class
elektra_e90's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i electric red
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: sf bay area, ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
i paid ~$1500 plus tax for the extended maintenance when i bought additional 2 years maintenance when i got my cpo car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
Bulldog 6's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i TiAg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondmike View Post
Hi,

I'm about to plunk down for an extended maintenance plan, wanted to be sure what I'm paying is lining up. I hear BMW is making this a pretty cut and dry thing, but in my searching I'm finding difference.

It's for my wife's 328i Sport Wagon with 35K on the clock, and it's a CPO with the 100K warranty.

Dealer is quoting us $2195 for maint' to be covered until 2013 or 100K.

Consistent?

And thank you,

m
This is one of my biggest frustrations. I wish I could find required maintenance with labor (at least an estimate) and match the cost. That would be the easiest way to figure out if the extended maintenace is worth it. My current driving habits will put me at 30K miles in Jan 2011 when my 4 years is up...so in my case I don't think the extended maintenance or warranty are worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,516
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

My hunch is maintenance is predictable, so the rate will be in favor of BMW. I plan to go for the warranty, because what will break is not predictable. What is predictable, I'm told, is that on a 335, things will break, and they will be expensive.

I would like to see more posts where people say how they negotiated the price down, as I heard one does NOT have to pay list for these plans. Two dealers I initially contacted wouldn't budge....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
I335
Brigadier General
I335's Avatar
59
Rep
4,251
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

iTrader: (11)

I may go with extended warranty at some point but I really don't think extended maintenance is worth the money - at least for me. The extra mileage doesn't help at all unless you drive 25,000 miles or more a year (I drive less than half of that) so that's meaningless to me. So the question is, will my car need $2000 worth of maintenance during the next 2 years? I highly doubt it. Even a full brake job is quite a bit less than that I believe. Also, I'm sure my indy could do all the maintenance over the next 2 years for WAY less than paying BMW up front to do it.

The extended warranty is similar to gambling as you're betting against the house (BMW) that one or more things (adding up to more than you pay for the extended program) on your car will fail. And the odds are always in favor of the house. But, that's not exactly the same as gambling as it's also a level of insurance. I'm still up in the air on this one but I'm thinking it may be worth the peace of mind. The maintenance though - almost a guaranteed loss IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
richmondmike
Enlisted Member
richmondmike's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i Black Coupe Loaded
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (1)

$2200

Yes, warranty and maint' - 2 different things. Right now we have warranty covered under CPO. Wouldn't drive a Bimmer any other way - well, anymore anyway - I used to have old fiver's and M3's.

But the $2200 I'm getting quoted for maint covers to 100K, not 50K. Or to may of 2013. So yeah, I think it's worth it. We'll be keeping the car.

We were offered the maint' when we bout it CPO this summer for $1800. But sounds like BMWNA has made their numbers consistent now.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
Bulldog 6's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i TiAg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondmike View Post
Yes, warranty and maint' - 2 different things. Right now we have warranty covered under CPO. Wouldn't drive a Bimmer any other way - well, anymore anyway - I used to have old fiver's and M3's.

But the $2200 I'm getting quoted for maint covers to 100K, not 50K. Or to may of 2013. So yeah, I think it's worth it. We'll be keeping the car.

We were offered the maint' when we bout it CPO this summer for $1800. But sounds like BMWNA has made their numbers consistent now.
With this extended maint is there a timeframe tied to it like 2 years 100K miles, or is it straight up 100K. If it is the miles I will do it too.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
richmondmike
Enlisted Member
richmondmike's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i Black Coupe Loaded
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (1)

yeah....

...I guess that's my next question.

My dealer is saying it's from the inservice date - 6 years, or 100K.

So for me, the maintenance would expire in May of 2013, or 100K.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
myfirst
Private
3
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (6)

I hear that because maintenance is only done according to what the car tells you, the service intervals are spaced pretty far apart where you will only get 3-4 oil changes, 2 air filters and a brake job out of it. But then, at the 100,000 mile service, I've been told that it includes spark plugs, hoses, belts, transmission, tune-up and everything to make up for the rest of the cost.

If you have a good indie shop, you can probably do it cheaper than the cost of maintenance. If you only have the dealer available, I'd take the extended maintenance (because dealers charge... alot).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
2,376
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

What "plan" did you ask for to get the extended WARRANTY vs. maintenance? I *thought* I was getting warranty, but I wish I hadn't paid $2200 for oil changes. I don't even know what I want to ask the dealer for at this point.

Best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
Bulldog 6's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i TiAg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondmike View Post
...I guess that's my next question.

My dealer is saying it's from the inservice date - 6 years, or 100K.

So for me, the maintenance would expire in May of 2013, or 100K.
If thats the case I am definately out. By year six I will be at 45,500 miles. I just won't get there with my current driving habits.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
richmondmike
Enlisted Member
richmondmike's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i Black Coupe Loaded
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (1)

But....

....you can't forget about Inspection 2 at 50K, it can cost $600-700 alone. At the dealer of course. And I'm only talking about maintenance. Not warranty here. I'm all set there.

Anyway, to each his own. I just started this thread to determine if the costs are consistent. Sounds like they are.

m
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
rambalu80
Captain
rambalu80's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lake Jackson TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I have both extended maintenance and extended warranty. I bought extended maintenance when I bought the car and paid $995.00 for it back in May 2007. At that price, I am still not sure if it will be worth and only time will tell. I'll probably get 2 - 3 oil changes, 1 brake fluid change, 2 sets of wiper blades, 1 micro filter and maybe a set of brake pads. I guess all of this might just add up to $995.00 but certainly not over $2,000.00.

In September just before the car hit 25,000 miles, I bought a 3rd party extended warranty, recommended by my SA and also based on how it came in handy for a friend of mine with a 2006 325i. I paid $1861.00 for the extended warranty that is good up to 85,000 miles on the odo or until Sep 2015.
__________________
Alpine White/Terra | 6MT | Navi | Premium Package | OEM Chrome Tips | HO C30 Tint | OEM Aluminum Pedals | Rear Fogs Enabled | 17" OEM Style 159 Wheels | Hella Whitelines | USDM Bi-xenons w/ 4300k D1S HID Bulbs

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #20
I335
Brigadier General
I335's Avatar
59
Rep
4,251
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondmike View Post
....you can't forget about Inspection 2 at 50K, it can cost $600-700 alone. At the dealer of course. And I'm only talking about maintenance. Not warranty here. I'm all set there.

Anyway, to each his own. I just started this thread to determine if the costs are consistent. Sounds like they are.

m
I think you can get inspection 2 covered by the original maintenance program - bring your car in for it just a couple hundred miles short and I think most dealers will do it (I know mine will). If it ends up being a problem I'll have my indy do it and I'm guessing it'll be 1/2 of what BMW would charge.

So richmondmike - are you on a path to put 100k miles on your car by 2013? If not, than the 100k miles means absolutely nothing. The way I look at it is for most people you're really only getting 2 extra years of maintenance as most people don't drive 100k miles in 6 years. And even if you did, it's still all done in 2 years. Any way you look at it, I just don't understand where the 100k miles comes into play and I can't see the value in it. Perhaps I'm missing something - am I?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
I335
Brigadier General
I335's Avatar
59
Rep
4,251
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
I have both extended maintenance and extended warranty. I bought extended maintenance when I bought the car and paid $995.00 for it back in May 2007. At that price, I am still not sure if it will be worth and only time will tell. I'll probably get 2 - 3 oil changes, 1 brake fluid change, 2 sets of wiper blades, 1 micro filter and maybe a set of brake pads. I guess all of this might just add up to $995.00 but certainly not over $2,000.00.

In September just before the car hit 25,000 miles, I bought a 3rd party extended warranty, recommended by my SA and also based on how it came in handy for a friend of mine with a 2006 325i. I paid $1861.00 for the extended warranty that is good up to 85,000 miles on the odo or until Sep 2015.
You may have gotten a great deal at $995 because in addition to the items you mention, you'll probably get a full brake job by then as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #22
bmwgrsv
Private
United_States
0
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate, SC

iTrader: (0)

I know the cost for the BMW Maintenance to the dealer is 1695.00 so that is where you should be aiming to get it for. I didn't get it on my car cause honestly I don't think it's worth it considering I do most of the work myself and feel more comfortable doing it that way anyway.

335i's get spark plugs at 45,000 so that's a big check mark off the list of stuff to do after the maintenance is done..

Extended warranty on CPO is up to 100k though so I'm happy I have that..
__________________
07 Jet Black E90 6spd
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST