E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Struggling between buying a used 07 328xi - been looking at 2 cars



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

Struggling between buying a used 07 328xi - been looking at 2 cars

I can't decide if I'm making a mistake buying with 100k miles. The cars retail for 10k, the other for 12k. Slightly negotiable on both. The silver 07 with 100k has rare sport seats and 17s. The 07 with 77k is in montego blue, has aftermarket 16s though. Style is cool, size is a bit small. Options on these 2 cars?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7367/overview/

http://motorwerks-inc.ebizautos.mobi...-15006722.html

Last edited by elite.; 05-06-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
delmarco
Second Lieutenant
delmarco's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Westchester County, NY

iTrader: (1)

That blue colour is really nice but the silver car looks cleaner and more adult-owned.

I love blue on cars so my biased is towards the blue car but I think the silver car maybe a safer bet.

As for the cars the silver car has sport package which will give you better seats and a much better steering wheel as well as sportier handling and suspension.

That blue car is base package all the way. Also it has a 11/2006 production date on it so keep that in mind. But you can easily swap in a sports package steering wheel and get some oem BMW sport package rims.


I don't know I would get the blue car for exterior looks and the silver car I would get because the interior looks better. The silver car seems like it would have less surprises.

I don't know I would pass and keep looking.
__________________



VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:
E90 - http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

If I can get the silver car for 9k.....what do you think? Silver car also has new tires and brakes. Your opion is the mileage isn't the biggest deal it seems. This is a 2nd car so I can keep my 09 e93 335 clean and miles low and hang on to that for a few years. This will serve as a daily for a year or 2 averaging maybe 6-7k per year. If I can flip the silver in 2yrs and not have to many repairs and still get 6-7k maybe it isn't a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
AM330i
Private First Class
United_States
9
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: 08 535xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

I would go for the silver one because of the sport package. I wouldn't be too concerned about miles. As long as it is properly maintained these cars can be reliable. I have the same wheels as the blue car on my 535 except they are 18's, they were on the car when I bought it. Not really my style but I don't mind them.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
delmarco
Second Lieutenant
delmarco's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Westchester County, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
If I can get the silver car for 9k.....what do you think? Silver car also has new tires and brakes. Your opion is the mileage isn't the biggest deal it seems. This is a 2nd car so I can keep my 09 e93 335 clean and miles low and hang on to that for a few years. This will serve as a daily for a year or 2 averaging maybe 6-7k per year. If I can flip the silver in 2yrs and not have to many repairs and still get 6-7k maybe it isn't a bad deal.
Yeah the silver is a safer bet. Mileage don't mean much once these cars are able to make it past 60,000 miles without any major issues. On these cars when shit goes wrong it goes wrong bad so the mileage alone is a testament to the car being good.

The trial by fire period on these cars are the 50,000 miles to 100,000 miles range. If an E90 makes it past that without getting written off due to maintenance issues or set on fire by it's owner then it will make it to 200,000 fine.

I don't know if it is me or on account of the rims but that blue car looks tampered with...
__________________



VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:
E90 - http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 05-06-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

In a perfect world I could nab the car for 8500 but he's willing to show me he's got 9k in it so .....in the event the car is 9500, am I doing OK? Seems strong.....seen many asking more with more miles. Also clean Carfax, not that that means anything lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
62
Rep
399
Posts

Drives: 07 e91 Alpine
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SEA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
I can't decide if I'm making a mistake buying with 100k miles. The cars retail for 10k, the other for 12k. Slightly negotiable on both. The silver 07 with 100k has rare sport seats and 17s. The 07 with 77k is in montego blue, has aftermarket 16s though. Style is cool, size is a bit small. Options on these 2 cars?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7367/overview/

http://motorwerks-inc.ebizautos.mobi...-15006722.html
Silver one has had 3 owners. Had a production date of 2006-10-18, and will have a GA6-L45R Transmission. So this is a very early production car. It does have Adaptive headlights, but the options package is not inspiring. No comfort access, no lights package, no nav (which is nice if you want to retrofit the backup camera), and you won't be able to do the Alpina Flash if you want to on this model's transmission.

The blue one was produced 2006-11-15, so same transmission issue (not an issue, but not flashable), completely uninspiring options package.

Both cars have the most basic stereo. You can do much better than both of these cars.

For peace of mind I'd be looking in less salty areas for a car. Get familiar with bmwvin.com to check the options on cars you are looking at. Learn what the options are.

The n52k is, in my opinion, the more desirable engine. Get one built AFTER March 2007 as you'll have the option of putting the Alpina flash on the transmission.

Things you will want done immediately.

Complete fluids change, especially the transmission. There's a specific procedure for it. See if the dealer will do it before you get the car. Do the diffs too at this mileage. When I bought mine it had fresh oil so I had them put Liqui-Moly engine flush in and run it for 15 minutes and dump all the oil. Them we put all new Liqui-Moly oil in, with a full bottle of Ceratec. I also ran a full bottle of Seafoam in the gas for 4 full tank fills to make sure the injectors got cleaned up.

Plan on the dampers being shot. New FSD's are about $7-800, Koni Oranges are about a fair bit cheaper. a decent DIY job for someone with reasonable wrenching skills. There are multiple DIY vids online.

Be prepared for new plugs and coils. Plugs are cheap, coils are $20-25 a piece. Simple job for the DIY'er. You may also want to change the Vanos solenoids (~260.00 in parts and 15 min). All are about due at 100k. You'll also be due for a belt, tensioner and idler pullety at that age, along with air and cabin filters. Also a cheap ($200.00) DIY job for belt, tensioner & all filters.

Things you may want in the options:

Comfort Access
Lights Package
Nav (gets you iDrive and a screen for the backup camera)
Professional Audio
17 Wheels
Adaptive Xenon Headlights
Sport Seats
Heated Seats (winter package)
Folding rear seats (most don't)
Three spoke multi-function wheel


There are a million of these cars, that seems to be the price range, for a well optioned car, neither of these is in the 'well optioned' category.

Just FYI, I looked for mine for 3-4 months to get everything I wanted. I'm glad I did.

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 05-06-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #8
delmarco
Second Lieutenant
delmarco's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Westchester County, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
In a perfect world I could nab the car for 8500 but he's willing to show me he's got 9k in it so .....in the event the car is 9500, am I doing OK? Seems strong.....seen many asking more with more miles. Also clean Carfax, not that that means anything lol
Which car is this the blue car? What do you mean he has 9k in it? Is this 9k he has invested in modifications and maintenance-upkeep?


Yeah $8500 would be a steal.
__________________



VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:
E90 - http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
summilux
New Member
4
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

I'd go with silver just because of the sports seats. I don't think the mileage is that much of a big deal except for suspension. My suspension parts started to wear out beginning at the 150K km (100K miles) point so you may want to set aside a few grand to keep the suspension tip top over the next few years.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

Blue car is 12, the more expensive one. Silver car had 9k in buying and doing tires, brakes etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
delmarco
Second Lieutenant
delmarco's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Westchester County, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Silver one has had 3 owners. Had a production date of 2006-10-18, and will have a GA6-L45R Transmission. So this is a very early production car. It does have Adaptive headlights, but the options package is not inspiring. No comfort access, no lights package, no nav (which is nice if you want to retrofit the backup camera), and you won't be able to do the Alpina Flash if you want to on this model's transmission.

The blue one was produced 2006-11-15, so same transmission issue (not an issue, but not flashable), completely uninspiring options package.

Both cars have the most basic stereo. You can do much better than both of these cars.

For peace of mind I'd be looking in less salty areas for a car. Get familiar with bmwvin.com to check the options on cars you are looking at. Learn what the options are.

The n52k is, in my opinion, the more desirable engine. Get one built AFTER March 2007 as you'll have the option of putting the Alpina flash on the transmission.

Things you will want done immediately.

Complete fluids change, especially the transmission. There's a specific procedure for it. See if the dealer will do it before you get the car. Do the diffs too at this mileage. When I bought mine it had fresh oil so I had them put Liqui-Moly engine flush in and run it for 15 minutes and dump all the oil. Them we put all new Liqui-Moly oil in, with a full bottle of Ceratec. I also ran a full bottle of Seafoam in the gas for 4 full tank fills to make sure the injectors got cleaned up.

Plan on the dampers being shot. New FSD's are about $7-800, Koni Oranges are about a fair bit cheaper. a decent DIY job for someone with reasonable wrenching skills. There are multiple DIY vids online.

Be prepared for new plugs and coils. Plugs are cheap, coils are $20-25 a piece. Simple job for the DIY'er. You may also want to change the Vanos solenoids (~260.00 in parts and 15 min). All are about due at 100k. You'll also be due for a belt, tensioner and idler pullety at that age, along with air and cabin filters. Also a cheap ($200.00) DIY job for belt, tensioner & all filters.

Things you may want in the options:

Comfort Access
Lights Package
Nav (gets you iDrive and a screen for the backup camera)
Professional Audio
17 Wheels
Adaptive Xenon Headlights
Sport Seats
Heated Seats (winter package)
Folding rear seats (most don't)
Three spoke multi-function wheel


There are a million of these cars, that seems ti be the price range, for a well optioned car, neither of these is in the 'well optioned' category.
DAMN! You are thorough with it! I wish you were around when I was shopping for my car. "Less salty areas...BMWvin options...Transmission origins" all stuff I never would have thought about.

Yeah I also think he can do better than these two cars.
Cars like the blue one I would normally gravitate to but this one with the Kmart Rims looks like little Billy Jr tampered with it to impress the high school parking lot hang outs.

The silver one is a safe bet. Sadly safe as in the boring and incomplete sense of the word.

If I was the OP I would try to get my budget up to $10,000 and get a car with more options and less miles.

But in the OP defense he did say this is to be his "second" [beater] car alongside his current E93. So maybe looks and options are not as important as price and reliability for him.
__________________



VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:
E90 - http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 05-06-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

I'm OK spending another grand but I'm not finding much out there isn't so much out there. Ppl are asking 12-14k which I don't need to spend on a 2nd car. Also only seen one other sport package which isn't that important and rarely see comfortable access and premium logic7. Many are basic cars.....with that said the Kmart wheels are a bit ehh, but love the color. I'm in Michigan. I'm sure out west there are more but buying sight unseen and spending 800 to ship.....rather buy close and see it. Thanks for the lengthy reply also. Really good info. As far as flash that's not necessary but good to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
tlow98
Lieutenant
58
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Silver one has had 3 owners. Had a production date of 2006-10-18, and will have a GA6-L45R Transmission. So this is a very early production car. It does have Adaptive headlights, but the options package is not inspiring. No comfort access, no lights package, no nav (which is nice if you want to retrofit the backup camera), and you won't be able to do the Alpina Flash if you want to on this model's transmission.

The blue one was produced 2006-11-15, so same transmission issue (not an issue, but not flashable), completely uninspiring options package.

Both cars have the most basic stereo. You can do much better than both of these cars.

For peace of mind I'd be looking in less salty areas for a car. Get familiar with bmwvin.com to check the options on cars you are looking at. Learn what the options are.

The n52k is, in my opinion, the more desirable engine. Get one built AFTER March 2007 as you'll have the option of putting the Alpina flash on the transmission.

Things you will want done immediately.

Complete fluids change, especially the transmission. There's a specific procedure for it. See if the dealer will do it before you get the car. Do the diffs too at this mileage. When I bought mine it had fresh oil so I had them put Liqui-Moly engine flush in and run it for 15 minutes and dump all the oil. Them we put all new Liqui-Moly oil in, with a full bottle of Ceratec. I also ran a full bottle of Seafoam in the gas for 4 full tank fills to make sure the injectors got cleaned up.

Plan on the dampers being shot. New FSD's are about $7-800, Koni Oranges are about a fair bit cheaper. a decent DIY job for someone with reasonable wrenching skills. There are multiple DIY vids online.

Be prepared for new plugs and coils. Plugs are cheap, coils are $20-25 a piece. Simple job for the DIY'er. You may also want to change the Vanos solenoids (~260.00 in parts and 15 min). All are about due at 100k. You'll also be due for a belt, tensioner and idler pullety at that age, along with air and cabin filters. Also a cheap ($200.00) DIY job for belt, tensioner & all filters.

Things you may want in the options:

Comfort Access
Lights Package
Nav (gets you iDrive and a screen for the backup camera)
Professional Audio
17 Wheels
Adaptive Xenon Headlights
Sport Seats
Heated Seats (winter package)
Folding rear seats (most don't)
Three spoke multi-function wheel


There are a million of these cars, that seems to be the price range, for a well optioned car, neither of these is in the 'well optioned' category.

Just FYI, I looked for mine for 3-4 months to get everything I wanted. I'm glad I did.
I thought the alpina trans flash was for the N54 motor/ZF trans cars only?

The n52 only came with the ZF trans for a short period early in production. It was then changed over to the Gm trans.

Am I to understand the alpina flash is possible on the n52/GM combo?

I know active autoworks has a GM trans flash, but was not aware of anyone else.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
62
Rep
399
Posts

Drives: 07 e91 Alpine
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SEA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I thought the alpina trans flash was for the N54 motor/ZF trans cars only?

The n52 only came with the ZF trans for a short period early in production. It was then changed over to the Gm trans.

Am I to understand the alpina flash is possible on the n52/GM combo?

I know active autoworks has a GM trans flash, but was not aware of anyone else.

Thanks
My understanding is that cars after 3/07 are flashable. I've heard this from multiple people who've done it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
fareast1
Private First Class
fareast1's Avatar
28
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: 2006 330I
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Silver one has had 3 owners. Had a production date of 2006-10-18, and will have a GA6-L45R Transmission. So this is a very early production car. It does have Adaptive headlights, but the options package is not inspiring. No comfort access, no lights package, no nav (which is nice if you want to retrofit the backup camera), and you won't be able to do the Alpina Flash if you want to on this model's transmission.

The blue one was produced 2006-11-15, so same transmission issue (not an issue, but not flashable), completely uninspiring options package.

Both cars have the most basic stereo. You can do much better than both of these cars.

For peace of mind I'd be looking in less salty areas for a car. Get familiar with bmwvin.com to check the options on cars you are looking at. Learn what the options are.

The n52k is, in my opinion, the more desirable engine. Get one built AFTER March 2007 as you'll have the option of putting the Alpina flash on the transmission.

Things you will want done immediately.

Complete fluids change, especially the transmission. There's a specific procedure for it. See if the dealer will do it before you get the car. Do the diffs too at this mileage. When I bought mine it had fresh oil so I had them put Liqui-Moly engine flush in and run it for 15 minutes and dump all the oil. Them we put all new Liqui-Moly oil in, with a full bottle of Ceratec. I also ran a full bottle of Seafoam in the gas for 4 full tank fills to make sure the injectors got cleaned up.

Plan on the dampers being shot. New FSD's are about $7-800, Koni Oranges are about a fair bit cheaper. a decent DIY job for someone with reasonable wrenching skills. There are multiple DIY vids online.

Be prepared for new plugs and coils. Plugs are cheap, coils are $20-25 a piece. Simple job for the DIY'er. You may also want to change the Vanos solenoids (~260.00 in parts and 15 min). All are about due at 100k. You'll also be due for a belt, tensioner and idler pullety at that age, along with air and cabin filters. Also a cheap ($200.00) DIY job for belt, tensioner & all filters.

Things you may want in the options:

Comfort Access
Lights Package
Nav (gets you iDrive and a screen for the backup camera)
Professional Audio
17 Wheels
Adaptive Xenon Headlights
Sport Seats
Heated Seats (winter package)
Folding rear seats (most don't)
Three spoke multi-function wheel


There are a million of these cars, that seems to be the price range, for a well optioned car, neither of these is in the 'well optioned' category.

Just FYI, I looked for mine for 3-4 months to get everything I wanted. I'm glad I did.
Great response!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

I have logic7, CA, all the jazz on my e93. Only thing I absolutely want is cold weather package and a car that starts lol. The rest is just icing on the cake. I'll look more forna later 07 build date and see if I can find additional options. Stereo, heated wheel, sport, etc. I drive sucks so if it doesn't have nav I'm good with that. Above reply was great. It's a little challenging to figure out what's what but a great resource.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #17
fravel
Major
fravel's Avatar
United_States
264
Rep
1,320
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati

iTrader: (1)

What's your timeline? If you're not in a rush I would flush out your "must-haves" list a little more, that will help knock down your options considerably.

For example, sport package is an absolute must for me for the seats alone. Would make your current debate an easy choice for me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

I've been scouring and I literally found 2 out of a gazillion with sport package.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
Nitrousbird
Lieutenant Colonel
266
Rep
1,548
Posts

Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Powell, OH

iTrader: (2)

Both are overpriced. Low option, automatic E90 328's have the worst resale of pretty much any E9x car, simply because they are the most common & worst performers of the lineup. I would be offering up bottom dollar for either (if I was buying a 328 for my wife - I wouldn't drive one). They are a dime a dozen and you can find plenty more everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #20
shuaige
Private First Class
38
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
If I can get the silver car for 9k.....what do you think? Silver car also has new tires and brakes. Your opion is the mileage isn't the biggest deal it seems. This is a 2nd car so I can keep my 09 e93 335 clean and miles low and hang on to that for a few years. This will serve as a daily for a year or 2 averaging maybe 6-7k per year. If I can flip the silver in 2yrs and not have to many repairs and still get 6-7k maybe it isn't a bad deal.
I would recommend you just DD your 335. Why take 10K that you could invest in something that appreciates in value and buy another car that you have to pay insurance for?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #21
Greyfox
Captain
Greyfox's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
693
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi E91
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Okay, first glance at the pictures.

Blue one... those are some of the ugliest ass wheels I've ever seen.

Silver one... has a busted light switch...ie someones knee has slammed the knob back into the switch.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #22
elite.
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

I'm passing lol. You guys talked me out of it. What about an even wore reselling 528xi lol.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST