E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > REVIEW:G2 Caliper Paint, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Slotted & Drilled Rotors, 22ple Wheel

12-09-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
matreyia
Private
Rep

Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

REVIEW:G2 Caliper Paint, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Slotted & Drilled Rotors, 22ple Wheel

Hello All, I am here to report my findings about the G2 Caliper Paint system, the Cool Carbon Brake Pads, the ECS slotted & cross drilled rotor set and the 22ple Rim and Metal Coating.

1. G2 Caliper Paint - works as advertised, looks decent, protects after curing and will not be damaged by brake cleaner after curing. It is advisable to have everything planned before starting as the paint is good for only 4-6 hours after activation with the catalyst ingredient. I recommend taking out brake assembly and painting on a table. I painted mine without removing the assembly and I wish I had taken the time to do otherwise. Unless you do not know how to dissassemble the brake calipers and harness, you should ignore the instructions that say "caliper removal not necessary". While it is not necessary, it sure does make the job considerably more clean and accurate...and efficient. - See photos after the last text item.

2. ECS Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors with Geomet coating. I have driven about 200 miles on them and they seem alright. They look infinitely better than the stock rotors and they work as advertised. I use them with the Cool Carbon pads. I did not hear any more noise than stock rotors even with the cross drill holes and slots.

3. Cool Carbon Pads. These pads really are low dust. But beware, the initial bedding process will produce lots of dust. Afterwards, the dust is minimal. I tried to bed the pads on the freeway at night on the 210 towards San Bernadino...THAT was a mistake. I ended up with uneven resin deposits on the rotors which caused a shimmy. The next evening, after carefully washing the initial dust and Geomet dust off of the rotors with Iron X, I took the car on a 120 mile trek on the Pacific 1 and the 23 (Decker Road) heading towards the 101. You cannot go faster than 40-50 mph on that road, however, you must stop so often that it makes up for the lack of speed. At the end of the journey, the rotors felt much smoother and grip seemed to have increased.

So what do they mean when they say "low dust"? Well, check out the photos I took after my 120 mile trek with some hard braking on hilly canyon roads. I also included photos of the dust buildup after the intitial bedding process. After cleaning that dust off and bedding the rotors for the second time...there was very little dust at all...even after the harsh 120 mile drive.

4. 22ple Metal and Rim sealant. Take the wheels off, use Iron X, brush and clean inside and out and then polish the wheels with some compound to get them smooth and shiny. Then wipe down with isopropyl and a rag. Then apply 22ple and buff off after 4 mins. Wait 6 hours and add a second coat. If you use only one coat...it will not work as well. Also, do not use a machine to buff of the 22ple coating, otherwise it will be too powerful and take off all the 22ple and you have little to no protection. After 2 coats, the wheels seem to be easy to clean with iron x. Spray on Iron x and rinse off with pressure washer. I jacked up my car to get access to the inside of the wheels. I turned each wheel by hand one section at a time in order to spray each inner section thoroughly.

Photos:
Attached Images

Last edited by matreyia; 12-09-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: missing info
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #2
matreyia
Private
Rep

That last image is the huge dust buildup after the first bedding session. The rest of the other wheel images are after the second bedding session on the canyon roads. As you can see, it really is considerably less dust when properly bedded.

Previously, after washing the wheels, there would be visible dust with the stock pads and rotors even after a short trip to the city and back. Like less than 50 miles.

So you can imagine how impressed I am with the low dust after 120 miles on a super hilly curvy canyon road!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
cpie168
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 328i Sport

Thanks for your sharing bud. I've ordered the exact same rotors and pads and will be putting them in when my next service is due. Nice caliper paint by the way!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
seanay12
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 328i Coupe E92

I got the rotors drilled and slotted few weeks ago and they are solid, good price, no squeal with oem pads which were 90% at time of replacement. Was worried I was gonna get a lot squeal but perfect so far and they have great customer service.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
matreyia
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Thanks for your sharing bud. I've ordered the exact same rotors and pads and will be putting them in when my next service is due. Nice caliper paint by the way!
You're welcome man.

I have to say, the car with the new rotors and painted calipers looks more "special" to me now. As if there is a secret lurking behind that stock body...because it actually has a Dinan S2, BMW Performance Exhaust, Dinan Intercooler, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake and Sprint Booster Module...

This combination is hell on wheels. The other day, there was a stock M3 (i hope it was stock) that was teasing me and so I thought, "what harm could be done if I see how close I can get to this guy." He was about 300 ft ahead and his engine was loud as thunder and he kept going...I switched to sport mode, maximum sprint throttle response and not only caught up but passed him until I was 500 ft ahead, then I looked down at the speedo and was horrified so I slowed down to normal speeds. Only a fool would incriminate himself so I will not say what that speed was.

That guy's face...sitting next to his girlfriend... priceless. He tried to do it again, but I had no desire to go to jail that night.

Anyways, the rotors and painted calipers now officially match the aggression of the car.

Happy Motoring.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
cpie168
Private First Class
Rep

Great story bro! Glad to hear you got the win.

I've yet to paint my calipers cuz it's too darn cold up here in Canada. I wish I was down in Texas with the balmy weather there....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
matreyia
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Great story bro! Glad to hear you got the win.

I've yet to paint my calipers cuz it's too darn cold up here in Canada. I wish I was down in Texas with the balmy weather there....
What's the octane in canada? In texas it is 93 octane....along with the cold winter weather, and all the dinan upgrades, the car really goes insanely fast. Much better than in los angeles where gas is 91 octane.

I was just curious.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
cpie168
Private First Class
Rep

All gas stations offer 87, 89, and 91. But one chain (Petro-Canada) offers Ultra 94. That's 94 octane.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
mike3000fl
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matreyia View Post
You're welcome man.

I have to say, the car with the new rotors and painted calipers looks more "special" to me now. As if there is a secret lurking behind that stock body...because it actually has a Dinan S2, BMW Performance Exhaust, Dinan Intercooler, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake and Sprint Booster Module...

This combination is hell on wheels. The other day, there was a stock M3 (i hope it was stock) that was teasing me and so I thought, "what harm could be done if I see how close I can get to this guy." He was about 300 ft ahead and his engine was loud as thunder and he kept going...I switched to sport mode, maximum sprint throttle response and not only caught up but passed him until I was 500 ft ahead, then I looked down at the speedo and was horrified so I slowed down to normal speeds. Only a fool would incriminate himself so I will not say what that speed was.

That guy's face...sitting next to his girlfriend... priceless. He tried to do it again, but I had no desire to go to jail that night.

Anyways, the rotors and painted calipers now officially match the aggression of the car.

Happy Motoring.
shit like this makes me want a 335.

Appreciate 0