E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #287
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,754
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phistyle View Post
do your dealership or SA ever call you guys to update on the status of your car or do they only call when the repair is complete? I brought in my car this morning and my SA told me that it may take more than a day to do my HPFP, but assured me it will probably be done today. So I'm sitting here and they still haven't called me or anything and the service department is closed and their service department doesn't open on weekends.
Seems to be SOP for BMW dealers. If they don't call you, it isn't done. Never once had a shop call me and say, sorry it's not done today, maybe tomorrow. Might have a heart attack if it happened!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #288
runT1ME
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 328Ci
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irvine, ca

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here. I have a 2008 328Ci and had my car shut off while I was in the drive thru last night! The dealership said the fuel pump is busted.

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident, or its related to the systemic failure of fuel pumps, but if it is, I'll reiterate, I have a 328, not a 335i.

Hopefully the issue isn't related though, and I'm just very unlucky, and the rest of the 328 drivers can be at ease though!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #289
BTM
Banned
United_States
183
Rep
10,314
Posts

Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Strange that your car's fuel pump would give out, but it seems to be an isolated incident. The issues addressed in this thread apply only to those with the N54 motor (and perhaps N55), namely the 135, 335, and 535.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #290
Cavman
Private
Cavman's Avatar
0
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2015 35d M-Sport Carbon Black
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Going in for long cranks/HPFP again on Friday

2010 335xi with 2250 miles on the odometer.

First HPFP replaced at 890 miles in January. Got the 881 part and knew it was just a matter of time.

1400 miles later and have been getting long cranks again for 2 weeks now.

Set up an appointment with request to just give me the new pump.

Very frustrated and embarassed to have spent so much on this car.

Will update the board next week with the diagnostic results and solution.

Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #291
gizmo335i
Colonel
gizmo335i's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
2,907
Posts

Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Jeez...BMW just has to do something...at the very least for having new ones go out right after you buy the damn thing....unbelievable..
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #292
kenni243
Second Lieutenant
kenni243's Avatar
2
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 335I Sedan - Black/Black
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Worcester

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know if the 10/120k warranty apply to issues related to HPFP? For example fuel injector, fuel valves? Due to the fact that HPFP keep on failing and it could damage components around it?

The reason I'm asking is my car at 55K miles...It been ok other then HPFP issues. I'm on my 3rd one now. I no longer have the factory warranty, and think getting "limited warranty" just to cover the major components.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #293
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,754
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni243 View Post
Does anyone know if the 10/120k warranty apply to issues related to HPFP? For example fuel injector, fuel valves? Due to the fact that HPFP keep on failing and it could damage components around it?

The reason I'm asking is my car at 55K miles...It been ok other then HPFP issues. I'm on my 3rd one now. I no longer have the factory warranty, and think getting "limited warranty" just to cover the major components.
I've never bought any kind of extended warranty before, but I may get one this time on the 335i when it approaches the end of the factory warranty, for this very reason. HPFP 10 yr/120K is all fine, but injectors, coil packs, head, etc...I don't think I want to fly naked with this one
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #294
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
Zippy7575's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
2010 335xi with 2250 miles on the odometer.

First HPFP replaced at 890 miles in January. Got the 881 part and knew it was just a matter of time.

1400 miles later and have been getting long cranks again for 2 weeks now.

Set up an appointment with request to just give me the new pump.

Very frustrated and embarassed to have spent so much on this car.

Will update the board next week with the diagnostic results and solution.

Sigh.
So, do the lemon law buyback, take the depreciation hit and maybe I'll get another bargain 335i off E-Bay. Americans (especially jaded BMW drivers) are spoiled and seem to forget that cars are full of complicated mechanicals and are not like refrigerators that run for years and years without a problem. Well-- some of the Japanese cars are-- but they also have the soul of a refrigerator. Personally, I'd be embarrassed driving a Lexus and knowing I'd spent $50k for a loaded Toyota.

Last edited by Zippy7575; 04-28-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #295
Weaselboy
Major
Weaselboy's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,101
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The extended 10 yr/120K mile warranty covers just the HPFP - and is for the U.S.A. owners only.
This does bring up a good point. If the extended warranty is for the pump only, it may not cover all the related failures we read about. It seems like many HPFP failures also result in jacked fuel injectors that require replacement (maybe crud from the broken pump clogs the injectors?). If that is not covered, it certainly changes things for those planning to keep their N54 cars long term.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #296
kenni243
Second Lieutenant
kenni243's Avatar
2
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 335I Sedan - Black/Black
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Worcester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoms@mac.com View Post
Well I live in Mexico and im having long cranks, half engine indicator and limited power on my 2008 e92 335.
As the warranty is over now,( 13,000 miles but the car is over 2 years old) I decided not to go to the dealer this time, they have the worst service, so I took the car to the best shop in town.

They have been trying a couple of things out, they found out that when they clean the oxygen sensors, the car starts with no problem, no long cranks, but after a couple of hours, the problems comes back, so we decided to put on a new sensor and things didnt improve.

I have asked the guy if he checked the HPFP and he said he checked it and it is working ok, no leaks and pressure is ok, the scanner didnt show any HPFP issues either.

So the question is......well two questions actually:
1.- Even if my HPFP seems to be working ok, could it still be the problem?
2.- As im out of warranty, how much does the HPFP costs?

Thanks!!
I can answer your question #1. Yes. even without fail code, it still can be defected. I had mine replaced without any HPFP code...Took them a week!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #297
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,754
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Anybody else get PM spam from a guy involved with a suit against BMW regarding the fuel pump issue? From the msg I got, it looked like he might have been spamming everybody who ever posted about a bad HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #298
Cavman
Private
Cavman's Avatar
0
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2015 35d M-Sport Carbon Black
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

We understand that cars are complicated....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7575 View Post
So, do the lemon law buyback, take the depreciation hit and maybe I'll get another bargain 335i off E-Bay. Americans (especially jaded BMW drivers) are spoiled and seem to forget that cars are full of complicated mechanicals and are not like refrigerators that run for years and years without a problem. Well-- some of the Japanese cars are-- but they also have the soul of a refrigerator. Personally, I'd be embarrassed driving a Lexus and knowing I'd spent $50k for a loaded Toyota.


We are frustrated because this same issue has been affecting this engine since it's launch in 2007.

We don't expect perfection, but to have the same issue unresolved for 4 years, despite repeated assurances from the company and our sales advisors that the issue had been resolved and/or was overstated, is unacceptable; thus our frustrations.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #299
gizmo335i
Colonel
gizmo335i's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
2,907
Posts

Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
We are frustrated because this same issue has been affecting this engine since it's launch in 2007.

We don't expect perfection, but to have the same issue unresolved for 4 years, despite repeated assurances from the company and our sales advisors that the issue had been resolved and/or was overstated, is unacceptable; thus our frustrations.
Very well put.

The fact that the BMW dealer here knows NOTHING whatsoever about this problem is rediculous. How could there be no bulletin out everywhere warning of this issue? How could a manager of ANY BMW dealer anywhere after this many years of a problem as big as this not know about it and know the part number for the new one?

This is not just a small mechanical issue either. This is something that will cause your car to die on the spot. That's something that should be fixed immediately and/or there should be a recall or something.....
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #300
John 070
Lieutenant General
170
Rep
11,555
Posts

Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Very well put.

The fact that the BMW dealer here knows NOTHING whatsoever about this problem is rediculous. How could there be no bulletin out everywhere warning of this issue? How could a manager of ANY BMW dealer anywhere after this many years of a problem as big as this not know about it and know the part number for the new one?

This is not just a small mechanical issue either. This is something that will cause your car to die on the spot. That's something that should be fixed immediately and/or there should be a recall or something.....
There are bulletins. I think two that circulated here were a N54 diagnostic tree, and another was a SIB for engine electrical systems. I think the problem is known, the solution is not, and the rest is a business process.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #301
ShastaMan
Colonel
ShastaMan's Avatar
1
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Shasta County, Calif.

iTrader: (0)

Are all owners aware of the California Emissions Warranty which is included in the Service and Warranty Information booklet? All 135i,335i, and 335xi are covered for 7 years or 70,000miles for defects in emission related components which include the following:
Catalytic converter, air duct filter housing to rear turbocharger (cyl 4-6),charge air induction tract, cylinder head cover gasket, engine control module, exhaust manifold gasket, exhaust pipe with catalyst, exhaust pipe gasket (between catalyst & turbocharger, fuel filler neck, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, intake manifold, rear oxygen sensor monitor, throttle body, torque converter, transmission control module, turbocharger, vanos adjustment unit.

This list is from the Warranty Booklet that came with my 2009 335i. The HPFP had a 7 yr or 70,000 mile warranty before it was extended to 10 yr or 120,000 miles. If you purchased your car in California you should have this warranty. Check your warranty booklet.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #302
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,754
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

ShastaMan --

Excellent point about the California emissions warranty. I had forgotten about this -- and I note it does include turbos and injectors.

Thanks for the on-point post!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #303
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
Zippy7575's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaMan View Post
Are all owners aware of the California Emissions Warranty which is included in the Service and Warranty Information booklet? All 135i,335i, and 335xi are covered for 7 years or 70,000miles for defects in emission related components which include the following:
Catalytic converter, air duct filter housing to rear turbocharger (cyl 4-6),charge air induction tract, cylinder head cover gasket, engine control module, exhaust manifold gasket, exhaust pipe with catalyst, exhaust pipe gasket (between catalyst & turbocharger, fuel filler neck, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, intake manifold, rear oxygen sensor monitor, throttle body, torque converter, transmission control module, turbocharger, vanos adjustment unit.

This list is from the Warranty Booklet that came with my 2009 335i. The HPFP had a 7 yr or 70,000 mile warranty before it was extended to 10 yr or 120,000 miles. If you purchased your car in California you should have this warranty. Check your warranty booklet.
That would explain why so many of the California lemon buybacks are showing up here in Arizona.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #304
hoopvillian
Private First Class
hoopvillian's Avatar
5
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dago

iTrader: (0)

I don't see injectors covered in the California Emissions Warranty, just the stuff below... is it a part of one of the items? Dealer said one of my injectors might need replacing.

CATALYTIC CONVERTER

CYLINDERHEAD COVERGASKET

ENGINECONTROL MODULE

EXHAUST MANIFOLDGASKET

EXHAUSTPIPE W/CATALYST

FUELFILLERNECK

FUELTANK

HIGHPRESSURE FUELPUMP

INTAKEMANIFOLD

OXYGENSENSOR

THROTTLEBODY

TORQUE CONVERTER

TRANSMISSION CONTROLMODULE

TURBOCHARGER

VALVETRONIC SENSOR

VANOS(VVT) ADJUSTMENTUNIT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #305
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,754
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Nope.
TrackRat and Hoop:

It appears the emissions warranty may vary by year and model -- I have in front of me the warranty book for my '08 335i sedan, and here is what's covered. (Note there are several different sections that cover emissions):

#1 -- 328 cars certified as SULEV are covered by CA SULEV emissions control warranty: anything that causes the car to fail a smog test for 15 years / 150K miles is covered. Unfortunately, this does not apply to the 335i!


#2 -- the following parts for the 335i are covered 7 yrs/70K miles, under the "CA Emission Control System Limited Warraty" (page 42 of the warranty book):

air duct filter housing to rear turbo

Catalytic converter(s)

Charge air induction tract

Cylinder head cover gasket

ECM

Exhaust manifold gasket

Exhaust pipe with catalyst

Exhaust pipe gasket

Fuel filler neck and fuel tank

HPFP pump (now 10 years/120K, of course)

HP fuel rail

Injection valve (fuel injector) ***NOTE***

Intake manifold

O2 sensor, rear

Throttle body

Torque converter

TCM

Turbos

VANOS adjustment unit

#3 -- Finally, there is a Federal Emissions Performance Warranty for cars in states that have approved emissions testing programs, for 8 years / 80K miles, on the following parts (pg. 38 of the warranty book):

Catalytic converter

ECM including OBD system

So, the emissions warranty(s) actually come in several different flavors, but according to my book the injectors specifically are covered under the CA warranty terms.

Just shows it pays to read the warranty coverage IN DETAIL
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #306
ShastaMan
Colonel
ShastaMan's Avatar
1
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Shasta County, Calif.

iTrader: (0)

That's why I specified that the info I posted applied to the 2009 335i that I have, Page 44 of the warranty booklet, injectors are covered as they are part of the emissions components.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #307
Cavman
Private
Cavman's Avatar
0
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2015 35d M-Sport Carbon Black
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Update on my 2010 335xi

Brought it in this morning with long cranks. Previously had the HPFP replaced at 890 miles and now I was back at the dealer with 2250 miles on the odometer.

The January visit was painless; I was in and out the same day.

This time is a different (and more frustrating) process.

My client advisor, who is a great guy, said that they are now forced to try to reprogram the software first and then test the car with the old HPFP. He said this has not worked for anyone yet and they are typically back at the dealer within weeks.

I told him I just wanted the new pump and to be on my way but he responded that BMW is forcing them through these hoops now.

Anyway, it appears that I will not have my car back until mid next week (at the earliest) as they want to drive it after the software update.

On a positive note, at least I have a loaner and he said they have like 8 of the new "943" pumps in stock.

Just wanted to give people a head's up that there are some new procedures in place, and getting the HPFP replaced is not as easy as it once was.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #308
nafoo
Major
nafoo's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,146
Posts

Drives: Boosted Bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Brought it in this morning with long cranks. Previously had the HPFP replaced at 890 miles and now I was back at the dealer with 2250 miles on the odometer.

The January visit was painless; I was in and out the same day.

This time is a different (and more frustrating) process.

My client advisor, who is a great guy, said that they are now forced to try to reprogram the software first and then test the car with the old HPFP. He said this has not worked for anyone yet and they are typically back at the dealer within weeks.

I told him I just wanted the new pump and to be on my way but he responded that BMW is forcing them through these hoops now.

Anyway, it appears that I will not have my car back until mid next week (at the earliest) as they want to drive it after the software update.

On a positive note, at least I have a loaner and he said they have like 8 of the new "943" pumps in stock.

Just wanted to give people a head's up that there are some new procedures in place, and getting the HPFP replaced is not as easy as it once was.
I took mine in Thursday and my CA told me the same thing. Software update -> test -> fail -> replace hpfp.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST