E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

01-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #859
GTiceman
Parrothead

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.70]
update to mine

my software was not updated due to a VO modification I had to my car so it will not be completed til later this week when they ship my DME out ... the new pump and i believe injectors are in though ... no real difference or maybe i am not seeing anything yet without the changed parameters
      01-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #860
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada

Drives: E92 335xi MSport Coupe

I had my HPFP replaced two days ago and so far it is working amazingly well. I noticed immediately my start up time is significantly faster.

I was experiencing early signs of HPFP failure, my car almost stalled out 3 weeks ago on start up and the car went into limp mode upon driving it. The new pump is great so far though, hopefully it stays that way.

You need to make sure that when you do replace the HPFP that the part number is: 1351 7 616 446. This should be the newest release from BMW.

E92 335xi MSport Coupe - Dinan Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #861
RaZCaL
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 Alpine White 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake335xi View Post
I had my HPFP replaced two days ago and so far it is working amazingly well. I noticed immediately my start up time is significantly faster.

I was experiencing early signs of HPFP failure, my car almost stalled out 3 weeks ago on start up and the car went into limp mode upon driving it. The new pump is great so far though, hopefully it stays that way.

You need to make sure that when you do replace the HPFP that the part number is: 1351 7 616 446. This should be the newest release from BMW.

Now I'm annoyed. I asked my service adviser specifically what pump was being installed on my car and if it was the newest one that came out. He said, "Its the latest and newest pump." I see on the paperwork, its actually PN: 13-51-7-613-933.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #862
SCMike
[classified title]
United_States

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagMode335i View Post
Got to give credit to M-Rated over at the fest for this one; it's a classic by now...............

Mein Gott - this is FABULOUS!

2009 335i Coupe: Crimson Red / Saddle Brown, Step. w/paddles, Sport / Premium / Cold Weather Pkgs, 19" Style 230 Wheels, Active Steering, but no iDrive.
{Gone but not forgotten: 2006 M3 Coupe, Imola Red/Cinnamon, SMG}
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #863
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
Now I'm annoyed. I asked my service adviser specifically what pump was being installed on my car and if it was the newest one that came out. He said, "Its the latest and newest pump." I see on the paperwork, its actually PN: 13-51-7-613-933.
Dude that sucks! Are you going to complain to him? If he balks and says that is the latest and greatest HPFP part, tell him to go on a computer and look up the N54 engine on Wikipedia. It even says right there that the part number I quoted is the latest one.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #864
RobNH
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
Mein Gott - this is FABULOUS!
That is epic!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #865
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
BMW's tech bulletin allows the dealer to use either the 933 or 446 HPFPs as according to BMW they are equivalent (re-manufactured), HPFPs.

My guess is the 446 pump is supplied by Bosch and the 933 pump by Continental/Siemens but that both HPFPs are identical in design. The 933 HPFPs have been confirmed to fail so we'll have to wait a bit to see if the 446 HPFP also fails like the seven prior model part numbers which were all claimed to be "the cure".

I hope BMW eventually determines the real root cause(s) of the N54/N55 HPFP failures and properly fixes all x35i models sold. The safety issues can't be ignored.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware the two P/Ns were due to different manufacturers. Keeping my fingers crossed the 446 put in mine doesn't fail.

How many times have you had to replace your HPFP? I'm seeing some people have gone as high as 8-9 times which is just outrageous. On my first for mine, hopefully it stays that way.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #866
LagMode335i
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware the two P/Ns were due to different manufacturers. Keeping my fingers crossed the 446 put in mine doesn't fail.

How many times have you had to replace your HPFP? I'm seeing some people have gone as high as 8-9 times which is just outrageous. On my first for mine, hopefully it stays that way.
Three times. I noticed you received the 446 pump number; after it was installed, did your low pressure fuel pump prime when the door unlocked? I noted mine does not prime anymore and I just had the work done.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #867
LagMode335i
Private First Class

Never mind previous post; the car only primes when coming out of sleep mode and unlocking the door. The new priming is also super quiet for some reason. I am checking with the SA to see if any changes occurred with the software for priming with the 446 HPFP recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #868
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagMode335i View Post
Never mind previous post; the car only primes when coming out of sleep mode and unlocking the door. The new priming is also super quiet for some reason. I am checking with the SA to see if any changes occurred with the software for priming with the 446 HPFP recall.
I'll have to look into that for myself. How can you tell when it is priming? I think you can hear it but I might be wrong.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #869
LagMode335i
Private First Class

Quote:
I'll have to look into that for myself. How can you tell when it is priming? I think you can hear it but I might be wrong.
I am just used to the sound of my car after unlocking the door after the initial software change, but don't get me wrong. I can't guarantee anything. I know I hear something that lasts for the duration of the old priming sound( could just be a loud relay). That's why I called the SA to see if this is a issue with my car specifically or if its something involved with the recall. Not sure if others are hearing the same as me. Hey, it may be perfectly normal, but considering all the things I've gone through with this car, I can't see why BMW would get rid of the priming step. I told the SA I am willing to bring the car back in out of curiosity; everything is repeatable without a doubt.

Just on a note, the car is running great after recall regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #870
Turkeybaster115
Banned

Drives: 335I

I had my HPFP recall done last week, and I am happy to say that the car has been really smooth since. My gas mileage has also gone up. While driving the same route to work each day before the change I averaged 26.4mpg (measured by the vehicle), my mileage is now averaging 27.3mpg average.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #871
Clark Kent
Private
United_States

Drives: 335i Monaco, Oyster

Haven't read all the pages here but had an interesting experience I thought was worth sharing. I have a 2009 335i (picked up on 11/15/2008, build date early October 2008) and had never received a recall notice. When I took it in for service today, the SA said there was only a software update required for my car and that my build date didn't fall under the HPFP recall.

One of the things I was getting serviced, however, was a long crank at start-up. Turns out the problem that was causing the long crank was in fact a faulty HPFP so they processed my car as a recall and replaced the HPFP. I haven't seen which part they used (933 vs 446) since I'm picking the car up tomorrow but still thought I'd share for anyone facing a similar build date issue on their N54 ride.

*** Edit ***
I later found out that BMW actually didn't approve the HPFP replacement so I never got it swapped out. The dealer thought it should be replaced, but after running it by BMW, they only reprogrammed the software. Go figure.

Last edited by Clark Kent; 01-20-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #872
RobNH
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

So I'm kind of confused about something.

According to what I've read here in the forums, the recall covers some VINs or some VIN ranges. However, the general consensus based upon the HPFP replacements that have been done is that BMW still isn't sure what's causing the failures, etc.

So if in fact the recall covers only certain VINs, that would lead me to believe that BMW knows which fuel pumps (presumably by part number) are failing. Am I correct?

Previous: 2008 E92 335xi Coupe
Previous: 2004 330xi Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #873
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
I had my HPFP recall done last week, and I am happy to say that the car has been really smooth since. My gas mileage has also gone up. While driving the same route to work each day before the change I averaged 26.4mpg (measured by the vehicle), my mileage is now averaging 27.3mpg average.

Mine is pretty smooth as well now. My gas mileage went up just slightly, mind you I have Dinan Stage 2 in my car so I wasn't expecting that much of a mileage increase.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #874
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Haven't read all the pages here but had an interesting experience I thought was worth sharing. I have a 2009 335i (picked up on 11/15/2008, build date early October 2008) and had never received a recall notice. When I took it in for service today, the SA said there was only a software update required for my car and that my build date didn't fall under the HPFP recall.

One of the things I was getting serviced, however, was a long crank at start-up. Turns out the problem that was causing the long crank was in fact a faulty HPFP so they processed my car as a recall and replaced the HPFP. I haven't seen which part they used (933 vs 446) since I'm picking the car up tomorrow but still thought I'd share for anyone facing a similar build date issue on their N54 ride.
I was originally told my VIN number did not show up on the recall as well, it wasn't until a few months later that it did come up. The Service rep said that BMW is a bit slow getting to all the vehicles that require the recalled part. In BMW's defence however, they do have thousands of vehicles to get to with the recall in both the US and Canada.

I also noticed that the crank decreased significantly with the new HPFP. My car starts almost instantly, even during the -24 degree Celsius temps we had last week.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #875
jrr

Drives: 08 335i

Jake
Curious re the reflash with the recall and if you then reloaded the Dinan. I also have stage 2 on my 08. I have been advised that the reflash will replace the Dinan which in turn will replace the reflash. This seems necessary but ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #876
LagMode335i
Private First Class

It was the same for the initial software change for the priming of the fuel pump. They loaded the software and they laid the Dinan software over top. Since the recall adds software to HPFP, I would say they clear everything, put in the HPFP software and lay the Dinan software over top which enables the "prime" to be maintained. Maybe the Dinan software only overlays certain folders in the software. There's no charge to reload the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #877
Clark Kent
Private
United_States

Change of Plans

Quote:

So I just got off the phone with my dealer and he backtracked on everything posted above. Apparently BMW didn't approve a replacement under the recall so they're just going with a software re-program even though they initially thought the HPFP should be replaced.

...and so begins my personal experiences with this all too pleasant issue...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #878
laperacfo
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2012 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
So I just got off the phone with my dealer and he backtracked on everything posted above. Apparently BMW didn't approve a replacement under the recall so they're just going with a software re-program even though they initially thought the HPFP should be replaced.

...and so begins my personal experiences with this all too pleasant issue...
Did this fix the long crank issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #879
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr View Post
Jake
Curious re the reflash with the recall and if you then reloaded the Dinan. I also have stage 2 on my 08. I have been advised that the reflash will replace the Dinan which in turn will replace the reflash. This seems necessary but ridiculous.
Actually I was told the reflash was not necessary. My recall was a straight HPFP hardware replacement with no software update what so ever. My Dinan Stage 2 therefore remained unchanged.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #880
Clark Kent
Private
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperacfo View Post
Did this fix the long crank issue?
It seemingly did fix the crank issue. I say seemingly because I only had the car in my possession for ~12 hours before I had to give it back to the shop for non-crank related issues (the version of the software they installed wasn't compatible with my model year, causing a number of problems in the communications interface / iDrive). I'm picking up the car later this afternoon and hopefully the software update they ran today still fixes the crank issue.

Somewhat related question: if they haven't replaced my fuel pump but have only reprogrammed my ECU (which is one of remedies specified as an option in the recall notice), am I still entitled to having my warranty extended 120,000 miles?
Appreciate 0