E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > HDMI Cable



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
jasonintoronto
Captain
Canada
15
Rep
703
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe (sold)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
hey man..i can get you the monster ones from futureshop for like 60 dollars or something. PM if you need it.

staff prices FTW
that's still expensive. it's like $5 at monoprice.
__________________
2007 Porsche Carrera 4
2007 BMW 335i Coupe (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #24
hawc
Private First Class
hawc's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
129
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Cayman
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution_GT View Post
I can get you monster cables for dirt cheap... pm for more info
So can I. Just go buy normal copper cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #25
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
6
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT MS + F25 35i AT
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (2)

But, but, but the Monster cable bubble packaging/labelling is the biz!! Feed a FutureShop employee, buy Monster! (sorry FS employees - I know you've had some lousy shifts this week....).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #26
MechUT
Captain
MechUT's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
846
Posts

 
Drives: 06 SG 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
HDMI is actually on incredibly difficult technology, with different versions, specs, standards etc... all laid out by the HDMi consortium - www.hdmi.org

Cheaper cables often stop working sooner (poor construction), won't support newer features, etc, etc, may oocasionally drop a frame, etc, etc. With more complex systems, the problems with cheaper cables quickly become apparent... on basic systems, you probably won't notice any difference though.

I have WireWorld Island HDMI cables, which are full 1.3b certified, for a reasonable E90post price - $30 for 1m, $35 for 2m, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #27
hawc
Private First Class
hawc's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
129
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Cayman
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana View Post
But the Monster cable is the biz!! Feed a Future Shop employee, buy Monster
I love when a Future Shop employee recommended Monster cable that cost MORE than the BluRay player I had just bought. Yeah, okay.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
Well Marbled's Avatar
11
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

iTrader: (1)

The only MonsterCable I have is to my subwoofer cause its a pretty long run. Other than that I just buy em where I find em on sale. I have a Samsung pn50b850 and I see no difference. If you aint seeing it on that, you aint seeing it on nothin'.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #29
DimSum
Banned
Canada
60
Rep
2,743
Posts

 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

iTrader: (10)

monster cable is snake oil, put it through oscilloscope and you won't see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #30
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Oulixes's Avatar
19
Rep
1,941
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi, 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Terra Borealis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by who's ur daddy? View Post
Does the ebay stuff work as well as the Monster stuff? I am not paying $60 for a Monster cable...

What should I be looking for? Gold plate? 28 AWG?
There is no measurable difference in performance when a generic cable is compared to a "special" cable of the same length.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:34 AM   #31
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
11
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
some cables will only carry a certain refresh rate .. ie 60hz is considered low
How is 60Hz low? I thought Blue ray players are only 24fps and HD games are max 60fps. What do you need more than 60Hz for?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
MechUT
Captain
MechUT's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
846
Posts

 
Drives: 06 SG 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
monster cable is snake oil, put it through oscilloscope and you won't see the difference.
Actually, you are wrong here. Your eyes may not see the difference, but the oscilloscope can see the difference between cables. Here's a cheap brand name HDMI cable, 30ft long, MSRP $175:
http://www.wireworldcable.com/produc...roma5_test.pdf

If that purple fuzz (signal) hits the red box, your digital 1s will become 0s, and that's no fun... as you can see it's almost there. Even slight interference (or a lower strength output from a player, etc) will drop that signal to the point where it won't work consistently, or won't work at all.

Here's another cable from the same company, where a 30ft long cable has an MSRP of $400. Even better, the test is from a 43ft cable. Testing an actual 30ft cable would yield even better results:
http://www.wireworldcable.com/produc...Iolet_test.pdf

Feel free to say that digital works or doesn't, or that you can't see the difference, but to say there is NO difference is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #33
MechUT
Captain
MechUT's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
846
Posts

 
Drives: 06 SG 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
How is 60Hz low? I thought Blue ray players are only 24fps and HD games are max 60fps. What do you need more than 60Hz for?
Movies on film (intended for the theatre) are usually shot at 24fps, and video (intended straight for broadcast) and games are made at 60fps.

TVs were originally made to display at 60fps, so when you watch a DVD movie that comes in at 24fps, there's some weird conversions to make 24fps into 60fps on your TV (since 60 doesn't divide by 24 very nicely). This made for some unnatural, jerky movie watching.

120Hz LCDs are nice because they play 60fps well by displaying every frame twice (60 x 2 = 120). They play 24fps well by displaying every frame 5 times (24 x 5 = 120). However, this all happens inside the TV, so the cable makes no difference - it just has to support a maximum of 1080P and 60Hz.

In a properly set up system, you may be watching all your blu ray movies at 1080P / 24fps, and all your HDTV (Rogers, Bell, etc) are 1080i / 60fps. You may never actually see 1080P / 60fps unless you have a video game made like that (a lot of games are 1080i or 720P). So in some of your systems (not all), your cheap HDMI cable may easily do 1080p/24 and 1080i/60, but will start to have problems at 1080p/60. I've seen it happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #34
Hedges
Major General
Hedges's Avatar
61
Rep
5,180
Posts

 
Drives: 12 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (8)

They all the same shiet and do the same stuff!

Get the least expensive set or no name ones is same as the Monster ones!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #35
hawc
Private First Class
hawc's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
129
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Cayman
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Monster Cable are a substantial source of revenue for electronic retailers. While the profit margins of DVD players and TVs may be low, the profit margins of Monster Cables are extremely high. Employees are trained to market and bundle Monster Cable and similar products so as to increase profitability.

Various reviews have reported that listeners and viewers are unable to tell a difference between substantially higher-priced Monster cables and inexpensive cables.

In one experiment, audiophile listeners could not distinguish between Monster cables and ordinary coat hangers. Another reviewer concluded that 16-gauge lamp cord and Monster cable are indistinguishable from each other.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #36
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
Well Marbled's Avatar
11
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

iTrader: (1)

I don't know where you're located but in the lower mainland RP Electronics is a good place for anything of this nature and a lot more too. Reasonable prices, good knowledge, no BS.

www.rpelectronics.com

no, i am not affiliated.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #37
JohnnyCanuck
Private First Class
Canada
1
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 328i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

It's a digital signal and all HDMI cables are capable of carrying the necessary bandwidth. That's why the HDMI Licensing has banned all references to version numbers on packaging. After existing inventory is burned, there will be no further reference to 1.3, 1.3a, or 1.4 on any HDMI packaging.

There is no difference between a cable from monoprice, FS/BB house brand (Rocketfish), The Source house brand (Nexxtech), Belkin, or Monster. None Whatsoever in terms of audio/video signal quality. That's true of any digital cable (eg. SPDIF (optical or coaxial)). Cables make a difference for analog signals. That has generated this myth about cables being important to digital signal quality. It isn't.

There is, however, a significant difference in the connector quality in some brands. Some cheaper cables are prone to breakage where the connector meets the sleeve. That is the only reason to pay any attention to what you're buying. However, as with all Monster products, they are ridiculously overpriced and their cables are, at best, mediocre. Belkin makes excellent cables (as in good connectors) at far more reasonable price points. NCIX is a great place to order Belkin cables. For those in Western Canada, London Drugs carries an Electrohome branded cable with good connectors for substantially less than Monster. As Well Marbled posted, RP is also good.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #38
Evolution_GT
Captain
Evolution_GT's Avatar
Canada
9
Rep
856
Posts

 
Drives: 08A22E93N52
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
hey man..i can get you the monster ones from futureshop for like 60 dollars or something. PM if you need it.

staff prices FTW
That's expensive...I can get em for around 20 to support 60hz and around 30 to support 120hz

and for those saying there's really no difference you should read what MechUT mentioned earlier...also one signifcant difference is the construction of the monster cables...which is far superior to the cheaper cables
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #39
MechUT
Captain
MechUT's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
846
Posts

 
Drives: 06 SG 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
It's a digital signal and all HDMI cables are capable of carrying the necessary bandwidth. That's why the HDMI Licensing has banned all references to version numbers on packaging. After existing inventory is burned, there will be no further reference to 1.3, 1.3a, or 1.4 on any HDMI packaging.

There is no difference between a cable from monoprice, FS/BB house brand (Rocketfish), The Source house brand (Nexxtech), Belkin, or Monster. None Whatsoever in terms of audio/video signal quality. That's true of any digital cable (eg. SPDIF (optical or coaxial)). Cables make a difference for analog signals. That has generated this myth about cables being important to digital signal quality. It isn't.

There is, however, a significant difference in the connector quality in some brands. Some cheaper cables are prone to breakage where the connector meets the sleeve. That is the only reason to pay any attention to what you're buying. However, as with all Monster products, they are ridiculously overpriced and their cables are, at best, mediocre. Belkin makes excellent cables (as in good connectors) at far more reasonable price points. NCIX is a great place to order Belkin cables. For those in Western Canada, London Drugs carries an Electrohome branded cable with good connectors for substantially less than Monster. As Well Marbled posted, RP is also good.
Since you seem to only tell half the story to support your position, you ought to be a real journalist!

HDMI licensing has not banned future reference to version numbers because all HDMI cables are the same.

HDMI licensing has REPLACED future references to version numbers (which are confusing to customers) with more descriptive terms, which applies to the 5 types of HDMI cables built to the 1.4 specs:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/tra..._logo_pub.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #40
JohnnyCanuck
Private First Class
Canada
1
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 328i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

I didn't say all HDMI cables were the same. I said that there is no difference in audio or video quality between any HDMI cable. While I might not have thoroughly commented on the HDMI Licensing position on labeling, and fair enough to point it out, the fact is that any certified HDMI cable will deliver as good image and sound quality as any other. Period. That's pure fact, not spin, and not "journalism".

My point remains the same as it was ... the only material difference between any HDMI cable is the actual durability of the connector. That is the only reason to even consider not buying the very first, or cheapest, HDMI cable one finds. That, however, does not mean that one needs to buy Monster or spend ridiculous amounts of money on a cable. Plenty of cheap HDMI cables have good quality connectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #41
MechUT
Captain
MechUT's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
846
Posts

 
Drives: 06 SG 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I didn't say all HDMI cables were the same. I said that there is no difference in audio or video quality between any HDMI cable. While I might not have thoroughly commented on the HDMI Licensing position on labeling, and fair enough to point it out, the fact is that any certified HDMI cable will deliver as good image and sound quality as any other. Period. That's pure fact, not spin, and not "journalism".

My point remains the same as it was ... the only material difference between any HDMI cable is the actual durability of the connector. That is the only reason to even consider not buying the very first, or cheapest, HDMI cable one finds. That, however, does not mean that one needs to buy Monster or spend ridiculous amounts of money on a cable. Plenty of cheap HDMI cables have good quality connectors.
LOL... this time, much better said.

To go back to the OP:

A CERTIFIED HDMI cable will work just as well (the cheapest ones you find may not be a certified cable) for short distances (usually 16ft or less) in most situations.

Expensive cables are not necessarily good cables, and cheap cables are not necessarily bad cables:
I've had a connector snap off a $400 HDMI cable as I took it out of the box.
I've had a $600 HDMI cable that did not carry 1080P - it was replaced with a $80 cable that worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #42
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
Well Marbled's Avatar
11
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

iTrader: (1)

while these guys are arguing over semantics (altho making some good points) I am going to tell you what you really need to know.

If you have $350 to spend you should budget it like this:

$50 for HDMI cable
$300 for a professional ISF calibration of your set.

THAT is the biggest impact on picture quality money can buy. Undisputable.
Anyone who tells you any different is probably trying to sell you an extended warranty as well.

What say the Crowd? Yay or Nay?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #43
Carbon4
Private
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: E90 - 328i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Markham

iTrader: (0)

$1.97 6ft HDMI 1.3a - monoprice today only!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) - ORANGE $1.97 USD!

Even with shipping it comes out to about $5 each (if you order 4).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #44
MechUT
Captain
MechUT's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
846
Posts

 
Drives: 06 SG 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Marbled View Post
while these guys are arguing over semantics (altho making some good points) I am going to tell you what you really need to know.

If you have $350 to spend you should budget it like this:

$50 for HDMI cable
$300 for a professional ISF calibration of your set.

THAT is the biggest impact on picture quality money can buy. Undisputable.
Anyone who tells you any different is probably trying to sell you an extended warranty as well.

What say the Crowd? Yay or Nay?
Yay AND Nay. A lot of people dislike calibrated pictures, because they find them too "dull" and would prefer a "sharper" and "more vivid" picture.

Probably the same people who think booming, jarring low frequency vibrations are good bass.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST