E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > How do I start, E90 Angel Eye Shopping



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
aznmidude
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

How do I start, E90 Angel Eye Shopping

Hi guys,

Looking to switch out my angel eye bulbs on my 2006 E90 sedan. I've read a few threads here and there, but I'm at a loss as to how to even figure out which one would work best for me. I would like to get a white LED if possible. What bulbs out there would you guys recommend? Where to buy? Are there better alternatives? Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
170
Rep
4,088
Posts

Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

you start with the searchbar. of all the topics discussed on e90post, angel eye replacements has been beaten to death.
__________________

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
elcheapoloco
douchebaggo
13
Rep
592
Posts

Drives: stick
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

I just don't get the point of posting statements like "Do a search yourself, it has been discussed before". Is being helpful and courteous to others that difficult? But I digress...

OP, you will need to read the post below. IMO your best bet will be LUX or Mtec for your pre-LCI. LUX is quite expensive at over $200 with not much advantage over the Mtec. I paid around $120 for my Mtec years ago and never had any issue.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=mtec
Appreciate 1
SMH15

      06-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
453
Rep
21,810
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

It depends on your budget, value and how much output you want.

Some angel eyes have great output but blow the budget. Others offer the same output for better value.

Then other people just regurgitate what they have or "think" is the best. I typically take forum information with a grain of salt.

The lighting forum and my competition has been so strong against me I can't even mention something I sell.

Keeping that in mind, search the vendor listings and contact some vendors with questions.
__________________
|Facebook Coupons||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |AR Design| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB LED / HID| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
RobertRichy
New Member
0
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It depends on your budget, value and how much output you want.

Some angel eyes have great output but blow the budget. Others offer the same output for better value.

Then other people just regurgitate what they have or "think" is the best. I typically take forum information with a grain of salt.

The lighting forum and my competition has been so strong against me I can't even mention something I sell.

Keeping that in mind, search the vendor listings and contact some vendors with questions.
PM'd ya
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Austin618
New Member
Austin618's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: '07 Titanium Silver 335i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'd suggest the Lux E90 V6 AEs. Just purchased a set myself!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
63
Rep
1,594
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
I just don't get the point of posting statements like "Do a search yourself, it has been discussed before". Is being helpful and courteous to others that difficult? But I digress...

OP, you will need to read the post below. IMO your best bet will be LUX or Mtec for your pre-LCI. LUX is quite expensive at over $200 with not much advantage over the Mtec. I paid around $120 for my Mtec years ago and never had any issue.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=mtec
over 200?

they're $125 for LUX at their own website...

http://luxangeleyes.com/products/lux-e90
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
453
Rep
21,810
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
over 200?

they're $125 for LUX at their own website...

http://luxangeleyes.com/products/lux-e90
He's referring to the Lux H8 160 which are over $200.
__________________
|Facebook Coupons||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |AR Design| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB LED / HID| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
63
Rep
1,594
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
He's referring to the Lux H8 160 which are over $200.
Completely irrelevant to the OP's 06 e90, but it's a free internet I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
453
Rep
21,810
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
Completely irrelevant to the OP's 06 e90, but it's a free internet I guess
LOL
__________________
|Facebook Coupons||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |AR Design| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB LED / HID| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:21 AM   #11
aznmidude
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. It's just overwhelming to take in so much info, I didn't know how to begin, but I knew that this place was the best place to find out. I'll check out those suggestions for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
3,662
Posts


Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmidude View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. It's just overwhelming to take in so much info, I didn't know how to begin, but I knew that this place was the best place to find out. I'll check out those suggestions for now.
I would recommend going with the suggestions from the members of this forum, i mean that is the point of the forum isnt it? We have always been designing our own products from day 1 and we fully support everything we make and sell. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me directly and i can help you out as well: sales@luxAngelEyes.com
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:37 AM   #13
aznmidude
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
I would recommend going with the suggestions from the members of this forum, i mean that is the point of the forum isnt it? We have always been designing our own products from day 1 and we fully support everything we make and sell. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me directly and i can help you out as well: sales@luxAngelEyes.com
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the Lux AE's, and they look pretty nice. What's the track record with them? How long has this product for the '06 E90 been out and have you had any complaints with them?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 02:06 AM   #14
Blown_by_TWINS
Private
2
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: Bmw 335i e90
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: sugarland, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmidude View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the Lux AE's, and they look pretty nice. What's the track record with them? How long has this product for the '06 E90 been out and have you had any complaints with them?
check out one of the posts by Mike @ extreme power house. they have been doing some really nice stuff!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 03:39 AM   #15
Austin618
New Member
Austin618's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: '07 Titanium Silver 335i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Check my thread about the new E90 V6 AEs.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144142

My phone made the Lux look a bit yellow, but they're pure white. They match your stock HIDs perfectly. Worth every dime I spent on them. I've had them in for about 4 days and have had several compliments on them already.
__________________
07' 335i Titanium Silver
HPB Interior LEDs | LUX E90 V6 | BMS DCI | Alpina B3 Flash | MHD Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #16
mweisdorfer
Captain
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
747
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Just make sure the bulbs are pre-LCI compatible.

I think the two main bulbs most people use are M-tech and Lux. Lux tend to cost about $50.00 more on average.

So, I guess it's a $50.00 question. Is the Lux worth the extra $50.00 or not? There are plenty of pics on this forum that have side by side comparisons of an M-tech bulb and a Lux bulb. You decide.

The other thing is the install. It's a relatively easy install, if you have the right tools. You will need a jack, a torque wrench, a 17mm socket, a long, star bit (torx bit) screw driver, both 8 and 10mm sockets and some patience. I can't remember what size torx bit you need; maybe a 25? It takes about an hour from start to finish. It also doesn't hurt to apply a little dialectic grease to the electrical fittings before you install the new bulb. Its not too difficult to figure out how it all goes back together once your have the old bulb out.

Personally, I'd go with the M-tech and save the $50.00 for something else (maybe an LED interior light set).

http://www.sonictuning.com/catalogse...lt/?q=Mtech+v4
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
L0B5TA
I cant swim!
L0B5TA's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I have $30 amazon LED(ones on icon pic). it looks better than stocks but i was not happy with the light output. after doing research i ordered LUX V6. ill give you my amazon ones for free if you come pick them up lol.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
3,662
Posts


Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Just make sure the bulbs are pre-LCI compatible.

I think the two main bulbs most people use are M-tech and Lux. Lux tend to cost about $50.00 more on average.

So, I guess it's a $50.00 question. Is the Lux worth the extra $50.00 or not? There are plenty of pics on this forum that have side by side comparisons of an M-tech bulb and a Lux bulb. You decide.

The other thing is the install. It's a relatively easy install, if you have the right tools. You will need a jack, a torque wrench, a 17mm socket, a long, star bit (torx bit) screw driver, both 8 and 10mm sockets and some patience. I can't remember what size torx bit you need; maybe a 25? It takes about an hour from start to finish. It also doesn't hurt to apply a little dialectic grease to the electrical fittings before you install the new bulb. Its not too difficult to figure out how it all goes back together once your have the old bulb out.

Personally, I'd go with the M-tech and save the $50.00 for something else (maybe an LED interior light set).

http://www.sonictuning.com/catalogse...lt/?q=Mtech+v4
I think you might be getting confused with the H8 lights we offer, not the ones for the OP who has a E90 pre-LCI Sedan. The lights we offer for his car are not more expensive. Just wanted to clarify that.

For all the information and pricing for the E90 pre-LCI Sedan lights please see our posting in the Vendor section: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651035
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #19
L0B5TA
I cant swim!
L0B5TA's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Just make sure the bulbs are pre-LCI compatible.

I think the two main bulbs most people use are M-tech and Lux. Lux tend to cost about $50.00 more on average.

So, I guess it's a $50.00 question. Is the Lux worth the extra $50.00 or not? There are plenty of pics on this forum that have side by side comparisons of an M-tech bulb and a Lux bulb. You decide.

The other thing is the install. It's a relatively easy install, if you have the right tools. You will need a jack, a torque wrench, a 17mm socket, a long, star bit (torx bit) screw driver, both 8 and 10mm sockets and some patience. I can't remember what size torx bit you need; maybe a 25? It takes about an hour from start to finish. It also doesn't hurt to apply a little dialectic grease to the electrical fittings before you install the new bulb. Its not too difficult to figure out how it all goes back together once your have the old bulb out.

Personally, I'd go with the M-tech and save the $50.00 for something else (maybe an LED interior light set).

http://www.sonictuning.com/catalogse...lt/?q=Mtech+v4

the Lux V6 is $10 less than MTEC V4
(with shipping)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:37 AM   #20
aznmidude
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone had any experience with umnitza brand? I've heard that they are pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
872
Rep
22,332
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (14)

1- What is your budget
2- Are you looking for a plug and play or custom headlights
3- Check the vendor forum to get a better idea of the kits available
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #22
aznmidude
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
1- What is your budget
2- Are you looking for a plug and play or custom headlights
3- Check the vendor forum to get a better idea of the kits available
1: I don't want to break the bank... but I'm not looking for the cheapest options either. Something in the middle for a solid product that will last a long time.
2: I would like something along the lines, that just involves replacing bulbs, lol I'm not much of a mechanic, but I just replaced my own xenon bulbs, so I think I can do something similar.
3: Thanks for the direction.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST