E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OFT - Breaking the 1.28 Bar Ceiling

09-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
DesertDude
Private

Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

OFT - Breaking the 1.28 Bar Ceiling

I've been playing with the OFT maps for my 335is for a while now.

I developed my own XDF files for my ROM when the OFT first came out. Shiv helped me out with a couple of tweaks and the last few values I hadn't tracked down yet.

I've been able to make some pretty good progress toward developing an E50 map. I'm running 18.5psi in the mid range tapering down to 14 up top. Timing is in the 12 to 15 range above 3000 RPM.

I would like to run a bit more boost, but cannot get past the 1.28 Bar ceiling in the DME. If I stack my Procede I can hit 21psi with my current timing without any timing drops, so I know the car can run that high of boost.

I could continue to run stacked with the Procede, but I'm always up for a new challenge.

If I increase the Boost Ceiling (bar) value above 1.28, my car will not hold idle. It'll start, sputter a bit and then die. My searches on several forums seem to indicate this happens to others with other Flash options as well.

It appears that some tuners are able to push beyond this limit, but the information about how to do this is not being made publicly available. There is some information that eludes to it requiring some reprogramming of the logic in the DME rather than table adjustments, but I'm not so sure.

I've got some ideas on how to overcome this limit, but I wanted to see if anyone else using OFT has any experience in this area.
      09-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post

I developed my own XDF files for my ROM when the OFT first came out. Shiv helped me out with a couple of tweaks and the last few values I hadn't tracked down yet.

I've been able to make some pretty good progress toward developing an E50 map. I'm running 18.5psi in the mid range tapering down to 14 up top. Timing is in the 12 to 15 range above 3000 RPM.

I would like to run a bit more boost, but cannot get past the 1.28 Bar ceiling in the DME. If I stack my Procede I can hit 21psi with my current timing without any timing drops, so I know the car can run that high of boost.

I could continue to run stacked with the Procede, but I'm always up for a new challenge.

If I increase the Boost Ceiling (bar) value above 1.28, my car will not hold idle. It'll start, sputter a bit and then die. My searches on several forums seem to indicate this happens to others with other Flash options as well.

It appears that some tuners are able to push beyond this limit, but the information about how to do this is not being made publicly available. There is some information that eludes to it requiring some reprogramming of the logic in the DME rather than table adjustments, but I'm not so sure.

I've got some ideas on how to overcome this limit, but I wanted to see if anyone else using OFT has any experience in this area.
Yup......when I increased the boost ceiling beyond 1.28 I got the same result as you.

So far this is the best I can get out of the stage 1 OFT map tweaked to run stacked with my Procede on regular pump gas + meth.

Would love a little more boost up top....but so far the OFT maps seem to have an upper limit to them.

Shiv stated that he would be coming out with new maps for FBO's but so far

What tweaks did you get from shiv?
Attached Images

09-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
DesertDude
Private

Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
What tweaks did you get from shiv?
Just some adjustments to D-Factor to remove severe oscillations I was getting under partial throttle and showing me that I had 2D fuel scalar tables.
      09-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
georgelb
nsomneeak

Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.00]
It's not OFT, but I had to upgrade my ROM from I860S to I8A0S for Cobb to tune mine over 1.28 bar; running 20psi midrange now without stacking.

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | Alpina TCU Flash | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | RB PCV | M3 Control Arms | M3 Subframe Bushings | Defiv Lockdown Kit | Cool Carbon Pads | BBS CH | Conti DWS
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer | Got E85? Make sure you have it right.
georgelb is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
07tundra
Major

Drives: TUNDRA

If this could be accomplished via flash only would there be a need for any piggyback?
07tundra is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
135Pats
Can't decide....

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
If this could be accomplished via flash only would there be a need for any piggyback?
If you could easily control boost beyond 18.5PSI via flash only, personally I don't see the need of a piggy at that point. Maybe meth integration...but boost control is the biggest "plus" with piggys that I can see.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Dmacc
Colonel

Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
If you could easily control boost beyond 18.5PSI via flash only, personally I don't see the need of a piggy at that point. Maybe meth integration...but boost control is the biggest "plus" with piggys that I can see.
NLS is also a great feature for MT guys who are sick and tired of that bog post shift. But I agree flash only would be a lot easier as far as install and ease go.

thanks to MGallop
      09-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
07tundra
Major

Drives: TUNDRA

exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Exactly my point.....If no piggy is needed isn't there a lot of money to lose?
07tundra is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Wedge1967
Banned

Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post

I also did my own tuning when the OFT came out, but I'm also running Meth with Aquamist HFS-4 which has been a bit of a challenge as my AIT temps drop to 70 when I'm spraying.

RACE MAP v8 LOG

Ran really well at PIR in Portland last week at a track day on e85. Was eating up the M3's in the straights.

Shoot me an email at WedgePerformance @ gmail so we can compare notes and .bin files. Really interested in seeing what differences we have and how we can help each other as who knows when Shiv will actually post something. He's been MIA for the past few week.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: pickemuptruck

I was looking at this area of the HEX and I don't really see much of a pattern relative to other table sets... so I have a thought that this may not be a boost cap. As an experiment, you could change this cell by by value of -1 in hex and see what happens. If there's still drivability/idle issues may not have been defined correctly. This is all new to me though.

BTW wedge, have you increased the last 2 cells of the WGDC ceiling adder table... this should allow you to meet req boost in the top.
      09-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i

I was running Cobb w/ no piggyback and had the same issues; raised boost limit above 1.28 bar and the car wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. I think the DME sees this as a corrupt value and doesn't know what to do. I890S here.
Eleventeen is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Wedge1967
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
I was running Cobb w/ no piggyback and had the same issues; raised boost limit above 1.28 bar and the car wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. I think the DME sees this as a corrupt value and doesn't know what to do. I890S here.
Let me know if you want to flash up to I8A0S. All you need is the $30 INPA cable and the software which I can help you with.

If you're interested, shoot me an email at WedgePerformance at Gmail.
      09-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Wedge1967
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I was looking at this area of the HEX and I don't really see much of a pattern relative to other table sets... so I have a thought that this may not be a boost cap. As an experiment, you could change this cell by by value of -1 in hex and see what happens. If there's still drivability/idle issues may not have been defined correctly. This is all new to me though.

BTW wedge, have you increased the last 2 cells of the WGDC ceiling adder table... this should allow you to meet req boost in the top.
I tried logging the WGDC with BT and raised 800 - 1200 by 20% and over torqued, so I only did 880-1200 and noticed DC increased, but I'm still not hitting target. I wish they would hurry up and get the logging updates so we can actually log the WGDC so I can tell where in the table I'm undershooting target.

I also have new turbos and boost solenoids. So I understand why I'm overboosting, but do you think that my AIT's dropping into the 70's is causing the drop in boost? Shiv told me to change some of the AIT table settings, but I didn't notice a change when doing so.

Shoot me an email so we can talk offline a bit also.
      09-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
themyst
Major General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
running more than 1.28 bar flash only requires custom code which only Cobb had the ability to provide, and even then it can only be used for 6MT with IJE0S or I8A0S only as it caused issues on 6AT.
themyst is offline   South Korea
      09-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Let me know if you want to flash up to I8A0S. All you need is the $30 INPA cable and the software which I can help you with.

If you're interested, shoot me an email at WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Awesome! I may take you up on the offer (I do have the INPA cable). What is the boost ceiling with that software version? Thanks!
      09-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
Wedge1967
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
Awesome! I may take you up on the offer (I do have the INPA cable). What is the boost ceiling with that software version? Thanks!
At this point in time 18 psi, but I'm also hitting 15 deg of timing and the car is very happy.
      09-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
Allen@PTF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 135i

The 1.28 bar limit isn't just a limit table or a single line of hex. There is an enormous amount of work that must be done to exceed that limit and right now Cobb are the only ones that have it up and running and available to select protuners.
      09-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
BuraQ
Colonel

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
My PTF E50 map "holds" 19+ PSI after post shifts then tappers after 5500 to 16-17 psi

No piggyback needed.
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
      09-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
Wedge1967
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
The 1.28 bar limit isn't just a limit table or a single line of hex. There is an enormous amount of work that must be done to exceed that limit and right now Cobb are the only ones that have it up and running and available to select protuners.
So how many forms of confidentiality do I need to sign and how much will it cost me to have this information without buying a COBB AP? (although I'm on the fence about doing that anyway... Again... v3 is sweet)

BTW, I'm only a few miles from the boyz at Surgeline.
      09-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Wedge1967
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post

Spoke with Shiv two weeks ago and he's working in the WGDC logging into the next tablet update. So hopefully I can make some headway. Found a few more torque settings which I'm able to increase and hopefully that will let me target more load. Need to find time to play.

Shoot me an email and I'll share what I have. WedgePerformance at Gmail.
      09-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
MRJCB
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
running more than 1.28 bar flash only requires custom code which only Cobb had the ability to provide, and even then it can only be used for 6MT with IJE0S or I8A0S only as it caused issues on 6AT.
What kind of issues are you talking about for the AT. Dzenno did my AT and I'm running almost 20 psi midrange and car is happy. Got to much timing corrections on 21 psi.

grt
MRJCB
MRJCB is offline   Netherlands
      09-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
BuraQ
Colonel

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
So how many forms of confidentiality do I need to sign and how much will it cost me to have this information without buying a COBB AP? (although I'm on the fence about doing that anyway... Again... v3 is sweet)

BTW, I'm only a few miles from the boyz at Surgeline.
More than likely you will have to have a Cobb AP for it.
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States