E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OFT - Breaking the 1.28 Bar Ceiling



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
DesertDude
Private
 
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Desert...dude!

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

OFT - Breaking the 1.28 Bar Ceiling

I've been playing with the OFT maps for my 335is for a while now.

I developed my own XDF files for my ROM when the OFT first came out. Shiv helped me out with a couple of tweaks and the last few values I hadn't tracked down yet.

I've been able to make some pretty good progress toward developing an E50 map. I'm running 18.5psi in the mid range tapering down to 14 up top. Timing is in the 12 to 15 range above 3000 RPM.

I would like to run a bit more boost, but cannot get past the 1.28 Bar ceiling in the DME. If I stack my Procede I can hit 21psi with my current timing without any timing drops, so I know the car can run that high of boost.

I could continue to run stacked with the Procede, but I'm always up for a new challenge.

If I increase the Boost Ceiling (bar) value above 1.28, my car will not hold idle. It'll start, sputter a bit and then die. My searches on several forums seem to indicate this happens to others with other Flash options as well.

It appears that some tuners are able to push beyond this limit, but the information about how to do this is not being made publicly available. There is some information that eludes to it requiring some reprogramming of the logic in the DME rather than table adjustments, but I'm not so sure.

I've got some ideas on how to overcome this limit, but I wanted to see if anyone else using OFT has any experience in this area.
DesertDude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

Posts: 2,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post
I've been playing with the OFT maps for my 335is for a while now.

I developed my own XDF files for my ROM when the OFT first came out. Shiv helped me out with a couple of tweaks and the last few values I hadn't tracked down yet.

I've been able to make some pretty good progress toward developing an E50 map. I'm running 18.5psi in the mid range tapering down to 14 up top. Timing is in the 12 to 15 range above 3000 RPM.

I would like to run a bit more boost, but cannot get past the 1.28 Bar ceiling in the DME. If I stack my Procede I can hit 21psi with my current timing without any timing drops, so I know the car can run that high of boost.

I could continue to run stacked with the Procede, but I'm always up for a new challenge.

If I increase the Boost Ceiling (bar) value above 1.28, my car will not hold idle. It'll start, sputter a bit and then die. My searches on several forums seem to indicate this happens to others with other Flash options as well.

It appears that some tuners are able to push beyond this limit, but the information about how to do this is not being made publicly available. There is some information that eludes to it requiring some reprogramming of the logic in the DME rather than table adjustments, but I'm not so sure.

I've got some ideas on how to overcome this limit, but I wanted to see if anyone else using OFT has any experience in this area.
Yup......when I increased the boost ceiling beyond 1.28 I got the same result as you.

So far this is the best I can get out of the stage 1 OFT map tweaked to run stacked with my Procede on regular pump gas + meth.

Would love a little more boost up top....but so far the OFT maps seem to have an upper limit to them.

Shiv stated that he would be coming out with new maps for FBO's but so far

What tweaks did you get from shiv?
.
.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Sticky is an idiot
Ilma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
DesertDude
Private
 
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Desert...dude!

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
What tweaks did you get from shiv?
.
.
Just some adjustments to D-Factor to remove severe oscillations I was getting under partial throttle and showing me that I had 2D fuel scalar tables.
DesertDude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
georgelb
nsomneeak
 
georgelb's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 RB 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW, TX

Posts: 485
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.00]
It's not OFT, but I had to upgrade my ROM from I860S to I8A0S for Cobb to tune mine over 1.28 bar; running 20psi midrange now without stacking.
__________________

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | Alpina TCU Flash | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | RB PCV | M3 Control Arms | M3 Subframe Bushings | Defiv Lockdown Kit | Cool Carbon Pads | BBS CH | Conti DWS
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer | Got E85? Make sure you have it right.
georgelb is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
07tundra
Major
 
Drives: TUNDRA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Mexico

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (9)

If this could be accomplished via flash only would there be a need for any piggyback?
07tundra is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
135Pats
Can't decide....
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,377
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
If this could be accomplished via flash only would there be a need for any piggyback?
If you could easily control boost beyond 18.5PSI via flash only, personally I don't see the need of a piggy at that point. Maybe meth integration...but boost control is the biggest "plus" with piggys that I can see.
__________________
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
If this could be accomplished via flash only would there be a need for any piggyback?
If you could easily control boost beyond 18.5PSI via flash only, personally I don't see the need of a piggy at that point. Maybe meth integration...but boost control is the biggest "plus" with piggys that I can see.
NLS is also a great feature for MT guys who are sick and tired of that bog post shift. But I agree flash only would be a lot easier as far as install and ease go.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
07tundra
Major
 
Drives: TUNDRA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Mexico

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (9)

exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
If you could easily control boost beyond 18.5PSI via flash only, personally I don't see the need of a piggy at that point. Maybe meth integration...but boost control is the biggest "plus" with piggys that I can see.
Exactly my point.....If no piggy is needed isn't there a lot of money to lose?
07tundra is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post
I've been playing with the OFT maps for my 335is for a while now.

I developed my own XDF files for my ROM when the OFT first came out. Shiv helped me out with a couple of tweaks and the last few values I hadn't tracked down yet.

I've been able to make some pretty good progress toward developing an E50 map. I'm running 18.5psi in the mid range tapering down to 14 up top. Timing is in the 12 to 15 range above 3000 RPM.

I would like to run a bit more boost, but cannot get past the 1.28 Bar ceiling in the DME. If I stack my Procede I can hit 21psi with my current timing without any timing drops, so I know the car can run that high of boost.

I could continue to run stacked with the Procede, but I'm always up for a new challenge.

If I increase the Boost Ceiling (bar) value above 1.28, my car will not hold idle. It'll start, sputter a bit and then die. My searches on several forums seem to indicate this happens to others with other Flash options as well.

It appears that some tuners are able to push beyond this limit, but the information about how to do this is not being made publicly available. There is some information that eludes to it requiring some reprogramming of the logic in the DME rather than table adjustments, but I'm not so sure.

I've got some ideas on how to overcome this limit, but I wanted to see if anyone else using OFT has any experience in this area.
I also did my own tuning when the OFT came out, but I'm also running Meth with Aquamist HFS-4 which has been a bit of a challenge as my AIT temps drop to 70 when I'm spraying.

RACE MAP v8 LOG

Ran really well at PIR in Portland last week at a track day on e85. Was eating up the M3's in the straights.

Shoot me an email at WedgePerformance @ gmail so we can compare notes and .bin files. Really interested in seeing what differences we have and how we can help each other as who knows when Shiv will actually post something. He's been MIA for the past few week.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: pickemuptruck
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 1,708
iTrader: (7)

I was looking at this area of the HEX and I don't really see much of a pattern relative to other table sets... so I have a thought that this may not be a boost cap. As an experiment, you could change this cell by by value of -1 in hex and see what happens. If there's still drivability/idle issues may not have been defined correctly. This is all new to me though.

BTW wedge, have you increased the last 2 cells of the WGDC ceiling adder table... this should allow you to meet req boost in the top.
Joshboody is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Jersey

Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)

I was running Cobb w/ no piggyback and had the same issues; raised boost limit above 1.28 bar and the car wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. I think the DME sees this as a corrupt value and doesn't know what to do. I890S here.
Eleventeen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
I was running Cobb w/ no piggyback and had the same issues; raised boost limit above 1.28 bar and the car wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. I think the DME sees this as a corrupt value and doesn't know what to do. I890S here.
Let me know if you want to flash up to I8A0S. All you need is the $30 INPA cable and the software which I can help you with.

If you're interested, shoot me an email at WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I was looking at this area of the HEX and I don't really see much of a pattern relative to other table sets... so I have a thought that this may not be a boost cap. As an experiment, you could change this cell by by value of -1 in hex and see what happens. If there's still drivability/idle issues may not have been defined correctly. This is all new to me though.

BTW wedge, have you increased the last 2 cells of the WGDC ceiling adder table... this should allow you to meet req boost in the top.
I tried logging the WGDC with BT and raised 800 - 1200 by 20% and over torqued, so I only did 880-1200 and noticed DC increased, but I'm still not hitting target. I wish they would hurry up and get the logging updates so we can actually log the WGDC so I can tell where in the table I'm undershooting target.

I also have new turbos and boost solenoids. So I understand why I'm overboosting, but do you think that my AIT's dropping into the 70's is causing the drop in boost? Shiv told me to change some of the AIT table settings, but I didn't notice a change when doing so.

Shoot me an email so we can talk offline a bit also.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
themyst
Major General
 
themyst's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,601
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
running more than 1.28 bar flash only requires custom code which only Cobb had the ability to provide, and even then it can only be used for 6MT with IJE0S or I8A0S only as it caused issues on 6AT.
themyst is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Jersey

Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Let me know if you want to flash up to I8A0S. All you need is the $30 INPA cable and the software which I can help you with.

If you're interested, shoot me an email at WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Awesome! I may take you up on the offer (I do have the INPA cable). What is the boost ceiling with that software version? Thanks!
__________________
[insert list of gas guzzling, warranty voiding, environment destroying, pocket emptying mods that still make you smile, here]
Eleventeen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
Awesome! I may take you up on the offer (I do have the INPA cable). What is the boost ceiling with that software version? Thanks!
At this point in time 18 psi, but I'm also hitting 15 deg of timing and the car is very happy.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
Allen@PTF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: VA

Posts: 533
iTrader: (0)

The 1.28 bar limit isn't just a limit table or a single line of hex. There is an enormous amount of work that must be done to exceed that limit and right now Cobb are the only ones that have it up and running and available to select protuners.
Allen@PTF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,920
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
My PTF E50 map "holds" 19+ PSI after post shifts then tappers after 5500 to 16-17 psi

No piggyback needed.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
The 1.28 bar limit isn't just a limit table or a single line of hex. There is an enormous amount of work that must be done to exceed that limit and right now Cobb are the only ones that have it up and running and available to select protuners.
So how many forms of confidentiality do I need to sign and how much will it cost me to have this information without buying a COBB AP? (although I'm on the fence about doing that anyway... Again... v3 is sweet)

BTW, I'm only a few miles from the boyz at Surgeline.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I was looking at this area of the HEX and I don't really see much of a pattern relative to other table sets... so I have a thought that this may not be a boost cap. As an experiment, you could change this cell by by value of -1 in hex and see what happens. If there's still drivability/idle issues may not have been defined correctly. This is all new to me though.

BTW wedge, have you increased the last 2 cells of the WGDC ceiling adder table... this should allow you to meet req boost in the top.

Spoke with Shiv two weeks ago and he's working in the WGDC logging into the next tablet update. So hopefully I can make some headway. Found a few more torque settings which I'm able to increase and hopefully that will let me target more load. Need to find time to play.

Shoot me an email and I'll share what I have. WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
MRJCB
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rotterdam

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
running more than 1.28 bar flash only requires custom code which only Cobb had the ability to provide, and even then it can only be used for 6MT with IJE0S or I8A0S only as it caused issues on 6AT.
What kind of issues are you talking about for the AT. Dzenno did my AT and I'm running almost 20 psi midrange and car is happy. Got to much timing corrections on 21 psi.

grt
MRJCB
MRJCB is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,920
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
So how many forms of confidentiality do I need to sign and how much will it cost me to have this information without buying a COBB AP? (although I'm on the fence about doing that anyway... Again... v3 is sweet)

BTW, I'm only a few miles from the boyz at Surgeline.
More than likely you will have to have a Cobb AP for it.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST