E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vibrant resonators (#1792)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #177
Jz
Colonel
 
Jz's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i / '14 F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,012
iTrader: (18)

Just to clarify, if I wanted to add vibrant resonators on a stock exhaust setup, I would use the 1790 ones instead of the 1792 correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1790-B...tyle+Resonator


Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I just installed some AR catless DPs two weeks ago, and I have the CP-e exhaust system already installed for a while....It sounds great but there is an occasional rasp at low rpms since I have a AT..The occasional rasp note is only apparent when I am in D mode and not DS mode....The rasp is not bad, but I want to see if I can get rid of it all together and make it perfect...I asked a couple of forum members and they told me to add some resonators to the exhaust and that should reduce the raspyness, so I ordered a pair of Vibrant Performance model #1792 resonators measuring 12 inch by 3.5 in diameter from StreetSideAuto.com and they arrived today...Two pairs of these resonators cost me 95 bucks shipped...The resonators looks to be good quality and the welds are really nice and they are made in China...My exhaust shop is closed until Monday, so I will have installed next week....I am going to install them in the midpipes section where there is a straight section where I can cut and weld these suckers into place...Here are some pics of the resonator..
Jz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #178
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
 
Drives: '11 335is Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Previously on the Bundesautobahn

Posts: 180
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz
Just to clarify, if I wanted to add vibrant resonators on a stock exhaust setup, I would use the 1790 ones instead of the 1792 correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1790-B...tyle+Resonator


Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I just installed some AR catless DPs two weeks ago, and I have the CP-e exhaust system already installed for a while....It sounds great but there is an occasional rasp at low rpms since I have a AT..The occasional rasp note is only apparent when I am in D mode and not DS mode....The rasp is not bad, but I want to see if I can get rid of it all together and make it perfect...I asked a couple of forum members and they told me to add some resonators to the exhaust and that should reduce the raspyness, so I ordered a pair of Vibrant Performance model #1792 resonators measuring 12 inch by 3.5 in diameter from StreetSideAuto.com and they arrived today...Two pairs of these resonators cost me 95 bucks shipped...The resonators looks to be good quality and the welds are really nice and they are made in China...My exhaust shop is closed until Monday, so I will have installed next week....I am going to install them in the midpipes section where there is a straight section where I can cut and weld these suckers into place...Here are some pics of the resonator..
JZ: there should be no performance difference between the two except 2.5" (1792) vs 2.25" (1790) in/outlet diameters. For 1792 you'd need couplers to match the stock 2.25" mid-pipes diameter...so more welding and shop work! My vote is 1790...

Sidebar: now that I have had my kittyless c-PE DPs on for a while, I'm loving the sound (especially the pops & gurgles which are due to unburnt fuel). The only cons are, just like the OP said, waking up the neighbors in the morning (crazy loud starts) and the dreaded rasp.

Question: we know from the OP's testimony that installing Vibrant will completely kill the rasp and loud starts, but will it also tame the 'normal driving' sounds? My car sounds mean, till I get to 5k when it gets Civic like...essentially returning the car to stock sound?
No_curebimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #179
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,255
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
It will for sure take the cruise part of the sound from exhaust and make it not as loud The gurgles and burps will be still there but not as loud and tin can sound of a gurgle. If you like the loud exhaust note I think this mod is probably going to be too much for you especially if you have secondary cats also. I just like to be catless with a slightly stock like exhaust tone.
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #180
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
 
Drives: '11 335is Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Previously on the Bundesautobahn

Posts: 180
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic
It will for sure take the cruise part of the sound from exhaust. The gurgles and burps will be still there but not as loud and tin can sound of a gurgle
Sorry CN, what do you mean by "cruise part of the exhaust"? I can live with everything else in my car, sans rasp and crazy loud starts...
No_curebimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #181
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,255
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
When your just cruising around town the exhaust note will be dampen and soften compared to after the resonators.
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #182
AU335i
Captain
 
AU335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i E92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, AL

Posts: 884
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Sorry CN, what do you mean by "cruise part of the exhaust"? I can live with everything else in my car, sans rasp and crazy loud starts...
go watch the video I posted... that guy had catless downpipes and stock e92 exhaust... sounds perfect for a daily driver in my opinion
AU335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #183
x-ception
Captain
 
x-ception's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 935
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Damn that's a lot of precision cutting there! Why did they use heat wrap on the welded ends? Did they weld them or just use clamps?
Thanks steve for answering all my annoying questions haha, they are welded and that's heat wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
I'm completely catless, took out 2ndery cats + resonator, i dont mind the loudness...But for gods sake i hate the Pops and Gurgles i get....Would someone tell me how to kill that, please! lol I'm sick n tired of those pops n gurgles on low rpm's...I just get too much of it, Anyone with the answer to eliminate this gets a free beer!
from my understanding the 2008 stock exhaust doesnt have any resonators so adding resonators almost kill all the low rpm pops and gurgles ... I have to put my car in DS to get them back.
__________________
COBB |DINAN CAI|AA FMIC|VK|OSS| Arkym

COTM Pics Here
x-ception is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #184
x-ception
Captain
 
x-ception's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 935
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz View Post
Just to clarify, if I wanted to add vibrant resonators on a stock exhaust setup, I would use the 1790 ones instead of the 1792 correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1790-B...tyle+Resonator
YES, and that where i bought them from Amazon ftw.
__________________
COBB |DINAN CAI|AA FMIC|VK|OSS| Arkym

COTM Pics Here
x-ception is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #185
BES335xi
Colonel
 
BES335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: FBO+ N54xi
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NYC

Posts: 2,133
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Damn that's a lot of precision cutting there! Why did they use heat wrap on the welded ends? Did they weld them or just use clamps?
Thanks steve for answering all my annoying questions haha, they are welded and that's heat wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
I'm completely catless, took out 2ndery cats + resonator, i dont mind the loudness...But for gods sake i hate the Pops and Gurgles i get....Would someone tell me how to kill that, please! lol I'm sick n tired of those pops n gurgles on low rpm's...I just get too much of it, Anyone with the answer to eliminate this gets a free beer!
from my understanding the 2008 stock exhaust doesnt have any resonators so adding resonators almost kill all the low rpm pops and gurgles ... I have to put my car in DS to get them back.
I have an e90 335xi 2007 and yes there was a Resenator there, it just became even more so annoying with the pops n gurgles i get when i took the 2ndary cats out...Will try putting back resenator and see how that works out..
__________________
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
.
BES335xi is offline   Albania
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #186
gegezz
New Member
 
gegezz's Avatar
 
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 135i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: vancouver

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

bottle resonators

im just wondering if these resonators will fit BMW PE for the 135i with DP's and if they do...which one? 1790 with the 2.25 diameter? thx in advance
gegezz is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #187
beemerboy305
Lieutenant
 
beemerboy305's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa/Sarasota Fl

Posts: 591
iTrader: (1)

Omggggg sounds fantastic. I just got done with my custom exhaust full 3" no cats only stock res and added 2 vibrant res no muffler sounds amazing !!!!! I have asboulsty lil drone that's not annoying and zero rasp
__________________
E90///M3 - IB - 6MT - Velgen Wheels - FBO
[IMG]http://******************/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/logo.png[/IMG]
beemerboy305 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #188
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,255
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy305 View Post
Omggggg sounds fantastic. I just got done with my custom exhaust full 3" no cats only stock res and added 2 vibrant res no muffler sounds amazing !!!!! I have asboulsty lil drone that's not annoying and zero rasp
Glad you custom tuned your exhaust with these resonators I bet it sounds awesome and you get the best of being catless!
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #189
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
 
Drives: '11 335is Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Previously on the Bundesautobahn

Posts: 180
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post
Not true, I have 1790 installed on my stock e92 exhaust along with secondary cats.
x-ception, I'm going to follow suit and install a pair of 1790 resonators just like you...thanks for posting it!

I just came from my local muffler shop: they looked underneath and the only concern they might have is fitting it underneath the heat shield. Did you have to bend it so that they would fit?

EDIT: I plan on keeping the 2ndary cats...
No_curebimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #190
x-ception
Captain
 
x-ception's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 935
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
x-ception, I'm going to follow suit and install a pair of 1790 resonators just like you...thanks for posting it!

I just came from my local muffler shop: they looked underneath and the only concern they might have is fitting it underneath the heat shield. Did you have to bend it so that they would fit?

EDIT: I plan on keeping the 2ndary cats...
Not sure if the heat shield was bent but as long as its not touching anything it can be bent safely; I did it for my donwpipes, also my shop cut a little bit off the outer pipes of the resonators as they stick out too much.
__________________
COBB |DINAN CAI|AA FMIC|VK|OSS| Arkym

COTM Pics Here
x-ception is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #191
NjRep335i
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

I just had my mufflers deleted. They put in magnaflow resonators and used my stock tips. The work was done at AMSMotorwerks in Linden NJ. They did great job installing them and this by no means is there issue.

The sound is nice when you on the throttle hard, when you cruise at 2000 rpms
the drone is crazy. I myself can't deal with it and my Fiance gave me an earful on our way to dinner last night.

I've since ordered Magnaflow Part #14336 (Muffler), Magnaflow, Part #35125 (3.5 inch tips). I plan on having the resonators moved towards the center of the car and install these new items. This is the same thing that Mr.5 had done and reports that no drone is heard.

My car is 6mt and I thought I could get around the drone but apparently not the case. I'll report back once installed, at most gives us another option.
NjRep335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #192
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,255
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Having no mufflers is definitely drone city! I am sure after the muffler install it will get rid of most of the drone, if not then the magnaflow resonators are not doing their job.
I had some drone and alot of rasp, once the vibrant resonators were installed the drone was almost none existent and rasp was totally gone.
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #193
12beat
Second Lieutenant
 
12beat's Avatar
 
Drives: it's nice
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 2 cars ahead of you

Posts: 241
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Having no mufflers is definitely drone city! I am sure after the muffler install it will get rid of most of the drone, if not then the magnaflow resonators are not doing their job.
I had some drone and alot of rasp, once the vibrant resonators were installed the drone was almost none existent and rasp was totally gone.
+1
12beat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #194
beemerboy305
Lieutenant
 
beemerboy305's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa/Sarasota Fl

Posts: 591
iTrader: (1)

here is my setup its AWESOME!




AA DOWNPIPES NO CATS STOCK RES AND 2 VIBRANT RES
beemerboy305 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #195
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,255
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
That sounds incredible! Niiice
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #196
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts unknown

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy305 View Post
here is my setup its AWESOME!




AA DOWNPIPES NO CATS STOCK RES AND 2 VIBRANT RES
When you say 2 res and stock res do you mean each exhaust has a total of 3 resonators per side? You also have no muffler too right?
N54_Fan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #197
beemerboy305
Lieutenant
 
beemerboy305's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa/Sarasota Fl

Posts: 591
iTrader: (1)

noo i took out mufflers and added vib res on each pipe.
beemerboy305 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #198
NjRep335i
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy305 View Post
noo i took out mufflers and added vib res on each pipe.
Does your exhaust drone?
NjRep335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST