E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Best Diesel for 335d?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
knbcpab
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: bmw 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Best Diesel for 335d?

Just picked up a 335d. New to this Diesel thing. Any idea which company sells the best fuel?. i.e. Chevron, Mobil, Shell, Union 76, etc. Does Diesel have ratings like Octane for gasonline?.
knbcpab is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Jz
Colonel
 
Jz's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i / '14 F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,015
iTrader: (18)

this should go in the turbo section, since the 335d is a FI car
Jz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
E46M54325Ci
Lieutenant Colonel
 
E46M54325Ci's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,568
iTrader: (4)

as long as you use ultra low sulfur diesel, which I think all CA and US diesel is by now, you should be fine. diesel isn't like gas is in terms of octanes as far as I know
E46M54325Ci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
knbcpab
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: bmw 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Found this on a TDI site...

***Cetane levels by fuel company. To ensure accuracy if you have a level to add to the list please forward an email from a corporate office to me, and I will add it to the list. Please bear in mind that the current minimum from refiners in North America is 40. Depending on the quality of the oil used as well as refining processes you'll find 40-42 from refiners in the US and Canada. Anything above that has to do with specific companies additive packages. When companies give a minimum value then it will be listed as a single number. When a company gives a range of numbers bear in mind that more often than not you'll probably find the lower number rather than the higher number. If 40 is listed then it generally means that fuel is bought as is from the refiner--if someone messes up and doesn't put in enough additive at the refinery then that can cause major problems for your fuel system. It's recommended therefore that if you get the inexpensive fuel with low cetane you use a cetane booster (PowerService, Redline 85+ or Stanadyne are all great choices), or run a little biodiesel in the tank. If something higher than 42 is listed then the retailer adds their own additive package in addition to the standard refinery additive package. Generally speaking as long as 49 or higher is listed you do not need to worry about adding any additives yourself.

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Chevron, 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets
ConocoPhillips through the 76 stations (California) 47-53
PetroCanada, 47-51
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40
knbcpab is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
knbcpab
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: bmw 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

TDI Link for Diesel Fuel Cetane Ratings

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...200694&page=19
knbcpab is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

RBP (Rolling Big Power) CA Sulfur2.

and ur in the wrong section
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
E46M54325Ci
Lieutenant Colonel
 
E46M54325Ci's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,568
iTrader: (4)

what would the right section be?
E46M54325Ci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (0)

We in Quebec even have V-Power Diesel, which I believe has additive and +2-3 cetane booster it's europeen premium diesel like.
Should I say that I add cetane booster on top of the V-Power and on my 335d, it almost eliminate diesel sound completely.
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
archaicbark
New Member
 
archaicbark's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

I am a forum noob, but why are so many people saying this is in the wrong section. Is the 335d not a E90? Man some touchy/picky people in these forums.
Maybe just other noobs with diesel envy.
I used to have that envy.
Who can blame them?
archaicbark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
archaicbark
New Member
 
archaicbark's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

Turbo Diesel discussions- 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by knbcpab View Post
***Cetane levels by fuel company. To ensure accuracy if you have a level to add to the list please forward an email from a corporate office to me, and I will add it to the list. Please bear in mind that the current minimum from refiners in North America is 40. Depending on the quality of the oil used as well as refining processes you'll find 40-42 from refiners in the US and Canada. Anything above that has to do with specific companies additive packages. When companies give a minimum value then it will be listed as a single number. When a company gives a range of numbers bear in mind that more often than not you'll probably find the lower number rather than the higher number. If 40 is listed then it generally means that fuel is bought as is from the refiner--if someone messes up and doesn't put in enough additive at the refinery then that can cause major problems for your fuel system. It's recommended therefore that if you get the inexpensive fuel with low cetane you use a cetane booster (PowerService, Redline 85+ or Stanadyne are all great choices), or run a little biodiesel in the tank. If something higher than 42 is listed then the retailer adds their own additive package in addition to the standard refinery additive package. Generally speaking as long as 49 or higher is listed you do not need to worry about adding any additives yourself.

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Chevron, 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets
ConocoPhillips through the 76 stations (California) 47-53
PetroCanada, 47-51
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40
Thanks for this great list by the way.
PS. Costco has great nitrile gloves box of 200 for $10, great for protecting hands from those nasty diesel handles.
archaicbark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
 
kcgman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335d
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: At the state line

Posts: 475
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
RBP (Rolling Big Power) CA Sulfur2.

and ur in the wrong section
Huh? How so?
kcgman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
rvladescu
335d
 
rvladescu's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

I live in QC also what additive you add

What is your average consumption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
We in Quebec even have V-Power Diesel, which I believe has additive and 2-3 cetane booster it's europeen premium diesel like.
Should I say that I add cetane booster on top of the V-Power and on my 335d, it almost eliminate diesel sound completely.
rvladescu is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvladescu View Post
I live in QC also what additive you add

What is your average consumption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
We in Quebec even have V-Power Diesel, which I believe has additive and 2-3 cetane booster it's europeen premium diesel like.
Should I say that I add cetane booster on top of the V-Power and on my 335d, it almost eliminate diesel sound completely.
There is a reason why BMW recommend to change oil after 18000km. It needs to brak in properly and marriage rings and cylinder , we will only have accurate L/100km after this time!
My average is now between 720km-870km ( 60% highway 40% city)
Around 5000km on the cluster
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvladescu View Post
I live in QC also what additive you add

What is your average consumption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
We in Quebec even have V-Power Diesel, which I believe has additive and 2-3 cetane booster it's europeen premium diesel like.
Should I say that I add cetane booster on top of the V-Power and on my 335d, it almost eliminate diesel sound completely.
There is a reason why BMW recommend to change oil after 18000km. It needs to brak in properly and marriage rings and cylinder , we will only have accurate L/100km after this time!
My average is now between 720km-870km ( 60% highway 40% city)
Around 5000km on the cluster
JBD set at 80%
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knbcpab View Post
Just picked up a 335d. New to this Diesel thing. Any idea which company sells the best fuel?. i.e. Chevron, Mobil, Shell, Union 76, etc. Does Diesel have ratings like Octane for gasonline?.
Best diesel is freshest diesel
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
TreborDrolet
Panfilo
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328iX Sport
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montreal Off Island West

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
We in Quebec even have V-Power Diesel, which I believe has additive and +2-3 cetane booster it's europeen premium diesel like.
Should I say that I add cetane booster on top of the V-Power and on my 335d, it almost eliminate diesel sound completely.
Who are the vendors of V-Power Diesel in Quebec?
TreborDrolet is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
DnA Diesel
Major
 
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborDrolet View Post
Who are the vendors of V-Power Diesel in Quebec?
Shell.
__________________
2009 335d Sport - Space Grey, Gloss Black on Black Leather (pics)

DnA Diesel is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
itsbrokeagain
 
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

Posts: 15,737
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
Look for stations that sell 45+ cetane. It is a huge difference compared to the regular 40 they sell here. It cost a little more but a lot of my friends with TDis notice the difference.
__________________
AUTOCouture Motoring: Handling reflector installs to turbo upgrades and superchargers, and everything in between
15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fairlawn NJ 201-666-3500

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,364
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
On a related topic, there is a way to get a Cetane index from the OBC (using ISTA/D). Can anyone do it with NCSexpert? Marius76?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B 13 02 10 - Fuel Quality Detection.pdf (17.5 KB, 272 views)
__________________
taibanl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
CT_335D
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Connecticut, USA

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

Here is CT I can't find any gas station that sells diesel with cetane rating of 45 or higher. Everywhere I go all I see is diesel with a cetane rating of 40.

Anyone out there in CT found any gas stations that sell premium diesel with cetane rating of 45 or higher?
CT_335D is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
135i_vs_
Lieutenant
 
135i_vs_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M5(sold), 135i(sold), 335d
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

There is none is NY higher than "Min 40". I think by Law they have only the "Min 40" sticker available in NY. The actual cetane rating at the station might actually be much higher.

Thanks to Taibanl's post, hopefully there is a way to read the BMW electronics that calculates the fuel quality. I am very interested into figuring this out, as this "Min 40" cetane rating drives me nuts!
135i_vs_ is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
There is none is NY higher than "Min 40". I think by Law they have only the "Min 40" sticker available in NY. The actual cetane rating at the station might actually be much higher.

Thanks to Taibanl's post, hopefully there is a way to read the BMW electronics that calculates the fuel quality. I am very interested into figuring this out, as this "Min 40" cetane rating drives me nuts!
Definitely. Thanks Taibani! Can anyone confirm that this test can be performed via BT tool? If so, I will rush my purchase of one.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST