E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Raced a Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Raced a Mustang GT

I had a dream this morning that I raced a red 2004 style Mustang GT coming home from the gym. As I was pulling up to a light to make a left on 441, I saw this red Mustang in the left lane a car behind me (I was first in my lane). I took off a TINY bit aggressively just trying to get home in a timely manner. He eventually made it out into the clear and tried to do a fly-by. After I realized it was completely evident that he was going to scream past me, I put my car into DS mode and dropped two gears. I was going about 55 miles per hour (before I hit it) when he was still about 3-4 car lengths behind me. He made it about 4-5 car lengths ahead of me before it took me about 3 seconds to pass him easily..

We pulled up to the next light, both behind other cars, and I rolled down my window. He said, "I didn't know we were racing! I was just trying to get the water off my car!". He was kinda smiling because I'm sure he didn't believe I was falling for it - but you never know. I just laughed and told him to be careful. He ended up turning and did some burning out while chirping through a few gears.

But BOY was that easy! How much faster are the new GTs? Since I believe my dream was extremely accurate in regards to what would have happened in reality, I'm curious...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,391
iTrader: (1)

I think the Mustang GT is supposed to have around 315-324hp stock but to be honest with you the Mustang is not really a fast car.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Delta0311 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I think the Mustang GT is supposed to have around 315-324hp stock but to be honest with you the Mustang is not really a fast car.
I've always felt that anything in the 13s for the quarter mile is "fast" but by today's standards, that's not so true anymore...
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Psychorugby
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue/Saddle X5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 188
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Psychorugby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I think the Mustang GT is supposed to have around 315-324hp stock but to be honest with you the Mustang is not really a fast car.
Stock they are pretty peppy, but Ford are notoriously starved for air. Throw an intake and an exhaust on them with some bigger gears and you've got a car that will take on just about anything stoplight to stoplight. My 95 GT is probably quicker than my 325, but it can't hold a candle to the highway speeds and acceleration.
Psychorugby is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
DBFIU
Crack Addict
 
DBFIU's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida

Posts: 762
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DBFIU
That specific GT you are showing has the 4.6 SOHC which is a nice little motor, but no match for a tuned N54.
__________________
2009 - Titanium Silver - Steptronic - 135i - Nasty
DBFIU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General
 
Jon335iFL's Avatar
 
Drives: This----------->
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jrz :)

Posts: 4,827
iTrader: (14)

kinda the same thing happened to me coming home from PBIR. I let a 2010 camaro creep up on me then i would puch it and not let him get in front of me and give him the hazards it was hilarious.......crazy camaro tryin to take a tuned n54 in 50 degree weather lol.
__________________


.
Jon335iFL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
That specific GT you are showing has the 4.6 SOHC which is a nice little motor, but no match for a tuned N54.
Yeah, they're not exactly fast by today's standards.. How does the new GT compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
kinda the same thing happened to me coming home from PBIR. I let a 2010 camaro creep up on me then i would puch it and not let him get in front of me and give him the hazards it was hilarious.......crazy camaro tryin to take a tuned n54 in 50 degree weather lol.
Cool.. This was a Camaro SS?
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General
 
Jon335iFL's Avatar
 
Drives: This----------->
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jrz :)

Posts: 4,827
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
Yeah, they're not exactly fast by today's standards.. How does the new GT compare?



Cool.. This was a Camaro SS?
2010 SS RS yep
__________________


.
Jon335iFL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Wow. And you just toy'd with him like that? Nice......
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General
 
Jon335iFL's Avatar
 
Drives: This----------->
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jrz :)

Posts: 4,827
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
Wow. And you just toy'd with him like that? Nice......
we would be head to head and the second i poped 3rd it would be a 2-3 car jump... It might have been the hardest i ever laughed while driving .
__________________


.
Jon335iFL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
In other news, I'm having a misfire issue so I'm going to have to bring my car in for service.. I'm going to ask about getting a BMW oil cooler installed (I think it might be only $300.00), Dinan Stage 3 flash, Dinan cold air intake and Dinan intercooler. I'm interested in avoid the need to remove stuff every time the car needs to be serviced - which I have a feeling will be quite often. But who knows? Maybe I'll uninstall everything and find it easy enough to be comfortable doing in the future...
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
UndergroundEuros
Banned
 
Drives: 335I Alphina White
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,222
iTrader: (9)

full dinan package is like 10G installed.
UndergroundEuros is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Actually, I think I'll have to do the Stage 2 ($2199.00) which pushes boost up from 8.8 to 13.0 psi. It produces (with Dinan Free Flow Exhaust) a maximum output of 384 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 421 lb-ft torque at 4300 rpm* - since I don't have a stock oil cooler. I'll see if I can have one added for that $300.00 or so we discussed at the meet a couple of weeks ago.

Stage 3 gives about 14 more horsepower and 7 foot pounds of torque but costs $500.00 more and requires a $2500.00 Dinan high performance oil cooler. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of benefit when I need to buy this expensive cooler along with it.

Plus, I'll be using a modified JB+ as well - and that should basically give me a Stage 3 type tune... I'll do the Dinan intake at the same time - so my total cost would be about $3200.00 plus installation...
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
m3kerry
SCCA STU
 
m3kerry's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Dinan stage 2 / 1 M
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Little Rock

Posts: 603
iTrader: (0)

I race a 2007 Shelby Mustang in SCCA F Stock that has won some Pro-Solo events (autox with that drag start) and a 2007 335i stage 2 car (see sig). The 335i is faster from a dig, roll, anyway you want to go at it.

A Shelby comes with a CAI, and a ECU return as part of the package. So, picking on GT's is probably easy kills.
__________________
Thanks to: Hixson BMW, Race-Keeper, Koni, BimmerHaus, & Hoosier
2012 SUMMER NATIONALS SCCA PRO-SOLO BONUS CHALLENGE WINNER
2012 SUMMER NATIONALS SCCA PRO-SOLO A STOCK CHAMPION
2012 SCCA DIXIE A STOCK CHAMPION
www.facebook.com/thatsrightracing
m3kerry is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
jt335i
Second Lieutenant
 
jt335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)

I have 2005 Mustang GT (5-speed) in addition to my 335i. I've owned it since it was new and my GT definitely has a good burst of acceleration off the line.
Now since I'm still going through the break-in (purchased on 12/30/2009) with my 335i, I have yet to open it up and get a good feel of it, but from what I have felt in drving it, so far, it it is pretty quick off the line.
Stock for stock, I would say they're pretty close, but the Stang may have the edge. However, to get a good measure, I would have to get a friend to drive one car, pair them up, and see how they stack up off the line.
I'll back to you all on that.

Now, if you add some mods like a Dinan stage 1 or stage 2, and take on a stock 2005+ Mustang GT then, of course, the 335i will have the edge.
However, if both cars were modded, the Mustang could have the edge because there are tons different kinds of mods (Turbo, Supercharger, tunes, exhaust mods, aluminum driver shaft, intakes, etc, etc, etc.) that one can to do it and boost the HP to over 400HP. It depends one how much $$$ they want to spend on them and they're not too expensive.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport package/Auto-STEPTRONIC shift
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
jt335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
I have 2005 Mustang GT (5-speed) in addition to my 335i. I've owned it since it was new and my GT definitely has a good burst of acceleration off the line.
Now since I'm still going through the break-in (purchased on 12/30/2009) with my 335i, I have yet to open it up and get a good feel of it, but from what I have felt in drving it, so far, it it is pretty quick off the line.
Stock for stock, I would say they're pretty close, but the Stang may have the edge. However, to get a good measure, I would have to get a friend to drive one car, pair them up, and see how they stack up off the line.
I'll back to you all on that.

Now, if you add some mods like a Dinan stage 1 or stage 2, and take on a stock 2005+ Mustang GT then, of course, the 335i will have the edge.
However, if both cars were modded, the Mustang could have the edge because there are tons different kinds of mods (Turbo, Supercharger, tunes, exhaust mods, aluminum driver shaft, intakes, etc, etc, etc.) that one can to do it and boost the HP to over 400HP. It depends one how much $$$ they want to spend on them and they're not too expensive.
Both cars stock with equal drivers, the 335i is faster to 60 and the quarter mile. For about $579, you can add 100 horsepower to the BMW and then move on from there. I'd say it would be difficult for the GT to keep up even with modifications. Of course, the Mustang is less expensive... So if you're talking about speed for money, the GT will be faster for less.. I'd bet that most of us here aren't too held back financially.
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
jt335i
Second Lieutenant
 
jt335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
Both cars stock with equal drivers, the 335i is faster to 60 and the quarter mile. For about $579, you can add 100 horsepower to the BMW and then move on from there. I'd say it would be difficult for the GT to keep up even with modifications. Of course, the Mustang is less expensive... So if you're talking about speed for money, the GT will be faster for less.. I'd bet that most of us here aren't too held back financially.
DOH! My bad. I must correct myself.
Yeah. I was under the impression that the stock 2005+ Mustang GT had a slight edge in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. On some online car site, I remember seeing some specs where the 335i did 0-60 in the mid 5 secs and a high 13's. Must've been a sedan or the testers didn't do a very good test on it. I shoulda checked other sites. Opps!

Anyway, you're right about finance.
I get to drive the best of both worlds since I can afford a Mustang GT and BMW, in addition to my gas sipper Toyota and classic Benz. Some day I'd like to take the Stang and the 335 to the nearby Bradenton track and give them some good runs in the 1/4 mile. I just need to finish up with the break-in on the 3 and hope and pray that it doesn't get hit with the HPFP bug.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport package/Auto-STEPTRONIC shift
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 02-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.
jt335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
That's okay! The sedan and coupe are both getting a 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.. I'm sure the coupe weighs less so I'm not sure how that is.. As for the HPFP, I get a funny feeling it has something to do with driving on a very, very low tank of gas to fill with race fuel at the track. I could be wrong. In any event, I hear there's a new replacement fuel pump from BMW that's going to fix the problem. Though this is the third attempt - so who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
DOH! My bad. I must correct myself.
Yeah. I was under the impression that the stock 2005+ Mustang GT had a slight edge in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. On some online car site, I remember seeing some specs where the 335i did 0-60 in the mid 5 secs and a high 13's. Must've been a sedan or the testers didn't do a very good test on it. I shoulda checked other sites. Opps!

Anyway, you're right about finance.
I get to drive the best of both worlds since I can afford a Mustang GT and BMW, in addition to my gas sipper Toyota and classic Benz. Some day I'd like to take the Stang and the 335 to the nearby Bradenton track and give them some good runs in the 1/4 mile. I just need to finish up with the break-in on the 3 and hope and pray that it doesn't get hit with the HPFP bug.
__________________
Sal Collaziano - Certified Cadillac Nut

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
jt335i
Second Lieutenant
 
jt335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
That's okay! The sedan and coupe are both getting a 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.. I'm sure the coupe weighs less so I'm not sure how that is.. As for the HPFP, I get a funny feeling it has something to do with driving on a very, very low tank of gas to fill with race fuel at the track. I could be wrong. In any event, I hear there's a new replacement fuel pump from BMW that's going to fix the problem. Though this is the third attempt - so who knows?
Alrighty. Gotcha!

I'm knocking on wood and hanging a rabbit's foot on the mirror that my car won't get affected. At just over 1,200 miles, it's been running fine so far. Although, I've heard of at least one owner with a 2010 having his replaced at 600 miles. I just heard that the same person is having it replaced a second time at 1,200 miles. This HPFP issue is like playing Russian Roulette.
YIKES!!!

I don't know if it's the brand of gas people are using? I mostly hear people running Shell, Chevron, or Exxon.
I've been running BP on all my cars and I've haven't had any issues using it.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport package/Auto-STEPTRONIC shift
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
jt335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST