E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > How much difference will Snow tyres make?

01-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #89
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant

Drives: 530d F11

Send a message via MSN to the_rangdo
Got 16" on mine
the_rangdo is offline   United Kingdom
      01-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #90
squid2010
Registered

Drives: E90 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The best size of winter wheels for your 335d will be 8J x 17" all round, with an ET34 offset.

Tyres to suit will be sized 225/45/17

16" wheels don't fit over the brakes, and 18" wheels end up costing more as a combination
One more question, would an offset of 35 still be ok?
      01-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #91
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid2010 View Post
One more question, would an offset of 35 still be ok?
Yes ET35 will be fine, that's just 1mm in towards the car than the ideal ET34.

No probs.

When I ordered my 18" reps the shop stated they were ET35, but they were stamped Et34 when they arrived!!
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
      02-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #92
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant

Today's wet snow on wet/frozen ground was a challenge.

Not had any issues in the snow since getting the tyres but had to reverse off our drive to let my wife get up, tried moving back up the drive and nothing except wheel-spin. Had to roll down the hill and try and get a run-up.

The turn-in to our road was similar, I didn't take it quickly at all, just the same as the last lot of snow but it was major drift time.

Next door has an A4 Quattro with Vred Ultrac Sessantas on, not had any issues until today, he struggled up the road. There's another beemer at the bottom of the hill that's going nowhere, so at least I made it home
      02-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #93
doughboy
Major General

Ha Ha!!

Leaving Stalybridge tonight 2" snow and slush eveywhere, the wintracs were a dream.

Steep hill with tight t junction at the top - no problems.

Tried an emergency stop from 30 and the ABS barely cut in, no difference to wet.

Hard acceleration in 2nd ON SLUSH, barely any wheel spin,

Undertaking folks on roundabouts at 30odd on pure slush with full grip.

Eat my shorts summer tyre wearers....
      02-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #94
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant

This was on Wintracs though
      02-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #95
firebod
Private First Class

Drives: E91 320d edition M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Sport View Post
I ordered mine winter alloys and tyres on Monday, for the B3BT. Alpina recommend a different set up being:

Alloys - Alpina Classic 8" x 18" EH2 34 offset
Tyres - 235/40 R18 95V M+S Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3

For all four wheels.
how are you getting on with the michelins?

I am still planning to be ready for next winter so i'm still keen to hear how people are getting on, Vred's are looking good so far. Are your PA3's runflat?
firebod is offline   United Kingdom
      02-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #96
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Alpina B3 BiTurbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebod View Post

I am still planning to be ready for next winter so i'm still keen to hear how people are getting on, Vred's are looking good so far. Are your PA3's runflat?
Still waiting for them to arrive at least I only paid a deposit, some suppliers want full amount up front.

When they do arrive they will not be run flats. Got a mobility kit in the boot.

I am having to be very careful at the moment any quick action on the accelerator DSC flashes and and car twitches. The current tyres are too wide and rubber is too hard for the current freezing very cold conditions. Just cant get power down without some wheel spin although not surprising with 360bhp and 500Nm torque .
      02-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #97
firebod
Private First Class

Drives: E91 320d edition M sport

hope they turn up soon for you. look forward to an update when you have them.
firebod is offline   United Kingdom
      02-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #98
doughboy
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
This was on Wintracs though
Must be the 'wrong sort' of ice?

If its frozen / ice then for sure any tire without studs will struggle, and I did get a bit of back end out action on the way to nursery yesterday morning, but there is still traction there during a slide and the grip returns quickly when you correct, unlike summers which once sliding go to zero grip and keep on sliding to the next hard object.

But wet slush/snow which had everyone at work sliding and spinning all over the place is just non existent with the wintracs.....

I was the only car in the slush bound lanes round Ashton, even quick hill starts onto roundabouts etc were no problem.
      02-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #99
pscs
Registered

Drives: 320d Touring

I got Blizzaks on my car this winter (just after the January snow - because I had to import them). In the recent snow, they were wonderful. There were a couple of slippy moments, but at least it moved.

I had an Audi Allroad before my 320d, and with the winter tyres on, the BMW can go in the snow at least as well as the Allroad, and it can stop much better. (The Allroad could go well, but when you put the brakes on it was as if nothing had happened...)

I'm now a winter tyre evangelist around here now - I think everyone's fed up with me...
      12-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #100

Drives: E91

Hi guys, just looking for some advice. My 55 330i e91 (Auto) with 255/35 R18 rear and 225/40 R18 fronts can't get up a small hill out of my house, so I am snowbound. To make matters worse I turned on DTC trying to get up the hill and after about 10 minutes of people pushing and DTC cutting in and out I got a bunch of failures (ABS/DTC and Flat Tyre) which doesn't go away.

Firstly - do I need to take to a dealer to get them to fix the DTC fault (or can I go to an independant - I am near Aylesbury, Bucks anyone know of any) - and am I safe to drive it without for the time being.

Secondly - Thinking of getting winter tyres but not sure exactly how they will work. I guess I buy another set of wheels and have to spend a couple of hours with the jack and spanner when it snows to switch the wheels when I need them (or is there a better way - cheap tools to speed the process up - like an F1 pitstop team for instance? ;-) )

Also and more importantly, should i get wheels/tyres the same size as my current ones or should I (can I) get something a bit thinner and less low profile to help with traction ( and possibly a bit thinner?)? So if I got 17" rims instead what aspect ratio can I then go to for front/backs given my current sizes - or is there some documented alternatives somewhere for my car (isn't mantioned in the manual that I can see)

Thanks for any thoughts. I would get autosocks but it doesn't appear that anyone has any stock...

Thanks for any help!
      12-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #101
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

The failures messages... typically sort themselves once on a decent piece of road again. May be after a start up and it can recalibrate/reset itself. Whether any have had to visit garages, I'm sure you will hear.

Wheels... 17" will work, 8" rims on all corners is best, with 225/45 spec'. I'm using 225/45 R17 94V XL winter's on the 330d Touring.

Winter tyres... chalk and cheese, compared to summer tyres.

HighlandPete
      12-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #102
Tunna_uk
Captain

Drives: BMW 325i M sport

Garage List
loads of advice on here, loads of threads. Winter tyres may be difficult to get hold of now due to high demand.
Those fault indicators might go away if you reset the tyre pressure warning system, its probably triggered due to you spinning / sliding all over the place. try resetting first, easy to do, again
My first winter with the right tyres on. I won't be going back.

Highland pete just beat me to it -
      12-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #103

Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The failures messages... typically sort themselves once on a decent piece of road again. May be after a start up and it can recalibrate/reset itself. Whether any have had to visit garages, I'm sure you will hear.

Wheels... 17" will work, 8" rims on all corners is best, with 225/45 spec'. I'm using 225/45 R17 94V XL winter's on the 330d Touring.

Winter tyres... chalk and cheese, compared to summer tyres.

HighlandPete
Thanks HighlandPete that is good news about the system failures - I guess maybe that the system is disabling the abs etc if it thinks you have a puncture in order not to stress the punctured tyre any more than it has to?

Thanks for the advice on the wheel sizes I think that sounds best but I still don't entirely understand the details of the wheel sizing so forgive me for my ignorance. As I have wider tyres at the back, do I not need to get different offset's or something for the back ones or can I just get 4 identical wheels and they will work ok?

I have found a good calculator on http://alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp that can help work out the right size tyre (or equivilents going from low profiles to standard and vice vera.

Are XL's enough - as I don't have a spare and only runflats - I was trying to find some runflats but it seems they are mostly xl's - are XLs just tougher (less likely to puncture/burst) or can you drive them on flats anyway?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have been searching and reading a lot of posts but couldn't find answers to the specific questions here lots of guys have different size wheels and not m-sport kit etc..
      12-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #104
335diesel
Brigadier General

Drives: 335d Touring

Garage List
16" 235/85 Grabber TRs (mud and snow rated) work a treat in snow and ice.

225/45 17" CSC3s? Dunno. Not tried them in the ice and don't intend to...

Drove in some incredibly harsh conditions this weekend - snow covered compacted ice. All I saw were Defenders! Delivered 100 litres of heating oil to a damsel in distress who was stranded with her little girl in the middle of nowhere (husband in Afghanistan flying helicopters) - my discovery? Pouring 4 x 5 gallons of oil into a tank in the wind is VERY hard and I reeked of oil all weekend! Landy stinks of it too (some leaked) but they're warm now so that's all that matters.

DB - impressive stuff with all that power. I guess the snow tyres and LSD make a lot of difference?

E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
      12-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #105
chris330D
Major

Drives: A45 AMG

Garage List
To the OP, there has been a lot written on winter tyres on here and as usual a number of different oppinions! With your set up IMHO the first choice you need to make is if you want to keep the original wheel size. The plus for keeping the original sizes is that there are no insurance implications however it is cheaper to use smaller size tyres. FWIW I have the standard 18" MSPort set up on two sets of wheels, summer and winter.
chris330D is offline   United Kingdom
      12-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #106
Carjack
Stormtrooper

Drives: 320D M-Sport Estoril Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebod View Post

I have a set of michelin TS830P 205/55 contiseal R16 and am very happy. Never had so much confidence in the powder n frozen snow. I actually look forward to going out in it!
The only prob is ground clearance on my M-Sport when the snow between the wheels is deep. OK perhaps in the powder, but get nervous once it has a frozen crust/ice.
The traction is really excellent!
I've had them a couple of weeks but only learnt yesterday that I should be running them at 3 psi above normal pressures. Oh well!
Cheers!
Carjack is offline   United Kingdom
      12-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #107
doughboy
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 View Post
Secondly - Thinking of getting winter tyres but not sure exactly how they will work. I guess I buy another set of wheels and have to spend a couple of hours with the jack and spanner when it snows to switch the wheels when I need them (or is there a better way - cheap tools to speed the process up - like an F1 pitstop team for instance? ;-) )

Thanks for any help!

You only change wheels twice a year, winters on in early november and off in mid to late march - that's it, they're cold weather tyres not 'snow' tyres.
      12-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #108
MOB
Major

Drives: Alpine White 118d M Sport

I bought a set of 16" alloys for £100 and a set of 4 winter dunlops with 5mm tread 6 months ago for £100, both off eBay

You dont have to spend big bucks
      12-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #109
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

What stands out to me most driving around at the moment is that people are too heavy on the throttle.

Even with winter tyres on the car, if I try to boot it when pulling away I will get wheelspin. As soon as that happens traction is lost.

Unfortunately, I have seen a hell of a lot of people try to get it back by reving harder and harder. Which doesn't work.

Best advice I have ever had is to pull away at idle using only the clutch and zero throttle. This will get you out of all sorts of trouble. Once you are moving you can gradually increase the revs.
      12-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #110
e92_grn
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 325d SE

Question for you - I have ordered some winter tyres via BMW Dealer on steel rims. I told them I am running a 325d e92 on 17" rims at the mo, but was told 16" are fine and will fit. I'm now just have a nagging doubt whether this is right?

Thanks in anticipation!