E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Minneapolis Dinan Stage 2 Users



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #23
Nick.CBR
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 1,646
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
So as not to piss on your thread, I will stay out of the whole this tune blows, this one is better thing. Or try to anyway. Really, I only have first hand experience with one and it isn't Dinan.

My contribution will stem from my decision making process. Really it came down to cost benefit. Let's assume for a minute that Dinan has the smoothest power delivery, which is your concern. Is it $1700 better? I doubt it.

IMO, the only legitimate reason to pay for Dinan is for peace of mind due to Dinan's warranty.

As Los' point about the track, I wouldn't doubt that. However, I suspect that would be more because Los is a skilled driver than because of his tune.
I sold a v3 locally for 175 - can't beat that power/dollar as it made 330 to the tires on my car (6AT). The issue I have with Dinan or any other flash tune is that it's done once it's in there (unless things have changed now) - some people want this but for me, I want latest greatest. There is always new development on the Vishnu and JB3 boxes that are just a software update away (in the case of Vishnu or a chip for Terry's box). GIAC does updates as well but as I understand it, you need special tools to do this (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Both the PROcede and JB3/JB+ can also be "set and forget" as well - both will run just fine on the defaults. I think where things start to get dicey is with the heavier modding in which case I would only have a piggyback because of the available settings that can be adjusted based on the individual car.

I've was very happy with my v3 rev 1 and bought a v3 CANbus box used specifically for the v4 software which should improve over all driveability of the car. If warranty is your game, Dinan really is your only option; however, hearing that you can't get a factory extended warranty would also give me a moment of pause. With a piggyback, you can just take it out while under the bumper to bumper and have the factory extended warranty and continue to take it out as needed (again, if warranty is your game).

Just my two cents. It's a tough call if money and over all power gains aren't your top priority.

Nick
Nick.CBR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #24
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 319
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
$2400! That is ridiculous! BTW, your car is awesome, do you have any more pictures?
Thank you. I'll PM some links, don't want to derail the thread.
airwolf878 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
 
Ricer X's Avatar
 
Drives: like a man late for work
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: of what?

Posts: 7,859
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
If warranty is your game, Dinan really is your only option; however, hearing that you can't get a factory extended warranty would also give me a moment of pause. With a piggyback, you can just take it out while under the bumper to bumper and have the factory extended warranty and continue to take it out as needed (again, if warranty is your game).Nick
There are others with more knowledge on the issue than me, but from what I have researched, Dinan is required to report to BMWNA the vin numbers of any cars that they tune as part of their partnership. Keep in mind that the peace of mind comes in that Dinan warranties issues caused by their modifications when BMW won't. Thus the warranty is only as strong as Dinan or their insurers. The common novice misconception is that the the BMW's warranty is still in tact. It is and it isn't. It is only to the extent it is intact after tuning from any tuner.

At any rate, once you are reported by Dinan, BMW will no longer extend warraty.

Again, that is what I have researched. If anyone has any better info, please correct me. I'd like to know too.
__________________
Ihsanshaik - X/Vasillalov - X/Nood1es - X/Countless more I can't recall - X
Nobama 2012
Ricer X is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #26
CubanJJ09
Banned
 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 12,692
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
So as not to piss on your thread, I will stay out of the whole this tune blows, this one is better thing. Or try to anyway. Really, I only have first hand experience with one and it isn't Dinan.

My contribution will stem from my decision making process. Really it came down to cost benefit. Let's assume for a minute that Dinan has the smoothest power delivery, which is your concern. Is it $1700 better? I doubt it.

IMO, the only legitimate reason to pay for Dinan is for peace of mind due to Dinan's warranty.

As Los' point about the track, I wouldn't doubt that. However, I suspect that would be more because Los is a skilled driver than because of his tune.
u big hunk of man, i bet you say that to all the fellas
CubanJJ09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #27
CubanJJ09
Banned
 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 12,692
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
There are others with more knowledge on the issue than me, but from what I have researched, Dinan is required to report to BMWNA the vin numbers of any cars that they tune as part of their partnership. Keep in mind that the peace of mind comes in that Dinan warranties issues caused by their modifications when BMW won't. Thus the warranty is only as strong as Dinan or their insurers. The common novice misconception is that the the BMW's warranty is still in tact. It is and it isn't. It is only to the extent it is intact after tuning from any tuner.

At any rate, once you are reported by Dinan, BMW will no longer extend warraty.

Again, that is what I have researched. If anyone has any better info, please correct me. I'd like to know too.
i second this but ur bmw warranty is still intact, however if something goes wrong and it is traced back to the tune dinan will pick up the tab
CubanJJ09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #28
ajvee
Major
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
What trans are you running?
The thing that attracted me to the JB3 is the fact that you can switch the maps with mods and what suits you and yours needs. I think that the Dinan software is basic and does not allow for much play. What I would recommend is get a ride in a Dinan chipped car. Delivery is pretty sweet, but from what I have been reading and how Dinan has been doing there chip it is not worth the amount of money for the way it is done
Appreciate all the feedback. I have a manual transmission. How does this make a difference?
ajvee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #29
ajvee
Major
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
So as not to piss on your thread, I will stay out of the whole this tune blows, this one is better thing. Or try to anyway. Really, I only have first hand experience with one and it isn't Dinan.

My contribution will stem from my decision making process. Really it came down to cost benefit. Let's assume for a minute that Dinan has the smoothest power delivery, which is your concern. Is it $1700 better? I doubt it.

IMO, the only legitimate reason to pay for Dinan is for peace of mind due to Dinan's warranty.

As Los' point about the track, I wouldn't doubt that. However, I suspect that would be more because Los is a skilled driver than because of his tune.
Appreciate the input. I agree, I don't think it is $1700 better. From what I've read, it seems as if the PROcede and the JB3 will be comparable from a power delivery standpoint on the lower maps. I might consider this.

On another dimension, I want some inputs on a flash's ability to control more engine parameters than a piggyback. Theoretically, this would seem to translate into smoother, more consistent tune.

In this regard, practicality aside, I would think that GIAC would compare fairly well to the PROcede?

Regarding consistency, I've ready that some users feel that piggbacks don't feel the same day in and day out. I was hoping some of you can talk to this a little bit based on your experience.

(I am leaving the JB3 out, because it seems to be the more "harsh" tune for the lack of a better word).
ajvee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #30
CubanJJ09
Banned
 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 12,692
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
i wonder where (alex) vudoo is to stroke himself off about procede. someone enlighten him to this thread
CubanJJ09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #31
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
 
Ricer X's Avatar
 
Drives: like a man late for work
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: of what?

Posts: 7,859
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.38]
You know who I have talked to quite a bit and has done alot of research on the subject recently is Julius at WSTO. At this point, he does not sell any tuning products so he is fairly independent. However, I never found biases or independence to be an issue with those guys.
__________________
Ihsanshaik - X/Vasillalov - X/Nood1es - X/Countless more I can't recall - X
Nobama 2012
Ricer X is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #32
Kruz
Major
 
Kruz's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland

Posts: 1,066
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
As Los' point about the track, I wouldn't doubt that. However, I suspect that would be more because Los is a skilled driver than because of his tune.
He has a HUGE right foot.
__________________
07/07 E90 335xi SG
Black Dakota|Alum|ZSP|2AB|ZPP|ZCW|Nav|CA|6FL|PDC|Blackli nes|3M
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Kruz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #33
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
 
Darkcyd_Turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 1,588
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Darkcyd_Turbo Send a message via Yahoo to Darkcyd_Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
(I am leaving the JB3 out, because it seems to be the more "harsh" tune for the lack of a better word).
Minus the canbus features and clearing codes on the dme on the Proceed, BMS's JB3 2.0 that is being tested has some or most of the user adjustability features that the proceed has. And to the OP, I know you said you dont care much for overall power and more focused on delivery of that power, but when it comes to "modding" the car with things to increase hp, it's ALL about POWER. I want to try the Proceed to see how it compares to the JB3 but to be honest aside from Shiv's car, please name another Vishnu tuned and customer driven car that has run into the 11's. Also please refer me to the evidence that the JB3 is harsher than the GIAC and Proceed. Many have run all tunes safely without any problems. And from all the reading and research I've done on both piggyback tunes...both have their equal shares of "hiccups." Doesn't seem like $$$ seems to be a concern for you, but for me I want the best mod for the best price. I can have all the features that the Proceed has with the JB3 and BT tool for less money than the Proceed. I know I sound like a fan boy but liek I said I'd like to try out the Proceed and compare it to my JB3. But if your going to compare apples to apples, wait until the release of 2.0 on the JB3 and see everyone's comments. Also, I don't plan on tracking my car much or even at all but I want to know that the $$$ I spent is well worth the $$$ when I think of the power to dollar ratio.

As for the GIAC, unless BMW's somehow become like vw's and audi's where the dme's are interchangeable between cars, you'll never be able to sell it back when it comes time to get rid of the car. Thus the reason I went with a piggyback, if I ever want to I can sell it and try another tune and re-coop some of the money I put into the car, so it's not a total loss. Also, the fact that GIAC does NOT have a switcher yet, let's say you're worried about your warranty. Do you really want to chance a tech taking your car out for a test driving realizing that its boosting more than a stock 335? Say bye bye to your warranty. Not knocking down GIAC (had in on my b5 Audi S4 and currently on my wife's GTI with the map switcher), great company, but without the switcher I don't trust the flashes yet. Right now ESS is the only company that allows you to flash your car @ home. GIAC, as it sits without the switcher and the meth fail safes is best suited for a car without warranty or at the end of. With that said...DINAN is a waste of money. Sorry Los, still slower than me and you spent more with the dinan lol.

LOS, Dinan FTL!!! lol Wait until the spring when my heavier xi gives your dinan tuned "i" a run. Make sure you take a picture of my tail lights so I can see what my rear end looks like. Hehe...congrats on selling the exhaust. That was quick! Soooo, what's next? Stock for now?
Darkcyd_Turbo is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #34
ajvee
Major
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (13)

I apologize for not clarifying my statement. When I said "Harsher", I meant a more explosive power delivery and not in terms of safety or anything. I can't point you to a specific thread, but from general feedback, it seems that the JB3 offers instantaneous power whereas the PROcede and the flashes are smoother across the RPM range. Is this accurate based on your experience with the Jb3? I am eagerly waiting feedback on the JB3 2.0 and the PROcede V4 as well.
ajvee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #35
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
 
Darkcyd_Turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 1,588
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Darkcyd_Turbo Send a message via Yahoo to Darkcyd_Turbo
$2400 = Dinan STG 2 tune

or

$2400 = JB3, BT Tool, DCI, FMIC, & DP's and maybe Meth....and still have money left over for a couple tanks of gas = car easily into the low 12's all day long. Maybe even into the 11's.
Darkcyd_Turbo is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #36
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
 
Darkcyd_Turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 1,588
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Darkcyd_Turbo Send a message via Yahoo to Darkcyd_Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I apologize for not clarifying my statement. When I said "Harsher", I meant a more explosive power delivery and not in terms of safety or anything. I can't point you to a specific thread, but from general feedback, it seems that the JB3 offers instantaneous power whereas the PROcede and the flashes are smoother across the RPM range. Is this accurate based on your experience with the Jb3? I am eagerly waiting feedback on the JB3 2.0 and the PROcede V4 as well.
I actually really want to test the proceed so I can compare it to my JB3 but there's no way that'll happen because the mrs will chop my balls off if I have 2 tunes at the same time lol. My experience with the JB3 is that the power is intentaneous picking up more and more power the higher the rpm range I go. It feels like a kick in your pants that doesn't stop kicking. Feels like it pulls harder and harder the higher the rpms I hit. From the sound of 2.0....it is going to be a BEAST! Plus I enjoy knowing that I have tech support from the actual physical owner of the company if I have any issues. He responds within an hour or two of my email.
Darkcyd_Turbo is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #37
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
 
Darkcyd_Turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 1,588
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Darkcyd_Turbo Send a message via Yahoo to Darkcyd_Turbo
Either way, take a ride in cars with all 3 tunes. See which tune best suites YOUR style of driving. If you're ever in WI give me a shout, I'll be happy to take you for a ride. Best of luck choosing a tune!!! More powa =
Darkcyd_Turbo is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #38
CubanJJ09
Banned
 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 12,692
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
Well I wasn't going to say anything but since u called me out jb3 to me just seems to ramp up the psi with safety taking a backseat. Dinan to me seems more throughly thought out. It's more than just "hey I wanna be a dyno and drag strip queen".
CubanJJ09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #39
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
 
Darkcyd_Turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 1,588
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Darkcyd_Turbo Send a message via Yahoo to Darkcyd_Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
Dinan to me seems more throughly thought out. It's more than just "hey I wanna be a dyno and drag strip queen".
I'd say that too if my car were still slow a tune...lol

you know i keed i keed , well not about dinan being slow for the $$$.
Darkcyd_Turbo is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #40
Winston Wolf
Tax Paying, Gun Toting American Veteran
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 248
iTrader: (1)

I haven't been on here for a year talking about tunes. I can see things never change, and that's why I stay away. Someday you guys will realize that peak horsepower on a dyno doesn't mean dick out in the real world. I've said this before, you don't go around driving at full throttle all the time. It just doesn't happen. I'm sure if you spent a day driving around town with each of the tunes you would think a bit different..... and I don't care who you are, you can't notice 10 peak HP difference in a car like these. Get what you want, who cares what anyone else thinks, it's your money and your car to enjoy. People are alway bias to the tune or car or computer or phone or whatever they have. Don't get me wrong, there is some good info on this forum, but you have to sort through a lot of crap to get to the brass tax.
__________________
I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems...

Last edited by Winston Wolf; 01-06-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: .
Winston Wolf is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #41
CubanJJ09
Banned
 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 12,692
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
Very true. I'd say u were correct in everything u said except in this situation. Were just giving each other a hard time (mostly cause he doesn't care about longevity, safety or warranty). Usually I wouldn't engage a thread about tunes cause it's gonna be a endless bullshit filled conversation. But since were local I'm more willing to open up and do the whole back and forth thing
CubanJJ09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #42
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
 
Ricer X's Avatar
 
Drives: like a man late for work
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: of what?

Posts: 7,859
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.38]
Yeah, don't read too much into it. We Chi-boys just give each other a ton of shite on a regular basis.
__________________
Ihsanshaik - X/Vasillalov - X/Nood1es - X/Countless more I can't recall - X
Nobama 2012
Ricer X is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #43
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
 
Darkcyd_Turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 1,588
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Darkcyd_Turbo Send a message via Yahoo to Darkcyd_Turbo
I lub giving Los shite because he gives it back, so when it goes back and forth, it makes things more fun!

I love all you guys! (no homo of course! more like brothas!) We are just one big BMW family!!
Darkcyd_Turbo is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #44
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
 
Darkcyd_Turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 1,588
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Darkcyd_Turbo Send a message via Yahoo to Darkcyd_Turbo
if you haven't been on the the forums much, you have to know ALL tune related questions will get A LOT of biased opinions...with that said don't ever take it too serious!

to the original poster....like I said, each tune as you know is different and will accomodate different styles of driving. It's up to you to read through the bull, but also see what people's true opinions are based on their driving styles and make the best educated purchase you can. Most tuners allow you to test them out for a couple of weeks to help make that decision easier for you. Take a ride in all the tunes you're interested in and see what suites YOU best!

No matter what, just make sure YOU are happy with what you purchase, regardless of what other people say, myself included lol. Again, GOOD LUCK!
Darkcyd_Turbo is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST