E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > aFe Intake just installed

10-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #23
Lucid4000
Major

Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Lucid4000
As I said let me know how much you want for it. I might be interested.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Lucid4000 is offline   United_States
      10-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #24
Driv3r
Colonel

Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
yea that was my fujita position!
      10-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #25
ksfrogman
Major General

Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
What's the weather like in MD? Is it hot?
      10-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #26
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.

Drives: 08' E70 X5, 12' E92 335is

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.88]
Send a message via MSN to yamazaho
Ummm, I know I ain't no tech, but I know that disconnecting the battery should be part of the step installing an intake. I know this guy who's a tech at this local body shop and he said that disconnecting your battery reset your air sensor for the higher air flow coming from the less restrictive intake. So definitely try that first and hopefully you will get your issue solved ASAP!!
      10-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #27
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Send a message via AIM to ALPINE6SPD
I have the bimmian and had had not one problem plus it sounds great.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
ALPINE6SPD is offline   United_States
      10-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #28
wideopenthrottle

Drives: Electric Red 325i

My car is running much better now......

I took that piece of crap aFe intake off! :mad:

I tried disconnecting the battery,..... no improvement.

I ran the gas extremely low, then topped off the tank with premium gas. (I was starting to think maybe I had bad gas, or accidently put regular gas in it)....... but, no improvement.

I took the filter off completely and ran it around the block, thinking maybe the filter was to restrictive, but no improvement.

So, I put the stock intake back on, and the car's running great! More responsive, and greater power.

Apparently, for my car atleast, stock is best.

Now I wish I had applied that nearly $400 towards an Eisennman Exhaust.

Lucid, I'll let you know if I'm gonna sell it.

I'll be calling aFe again on Monday, they don't respond to emails.
      10-25-2006, 05:24 PM   #29
f1sprint

Drives: 957 Cayenne

I had the same experince with afe as well. I bought an intake system for my F250 and paid like $400. From day one I kept getting a CEL. I kept calling afe to no success or reply. Finally I got ahold of someone and he got me to the guy that designed the kit Eric Bajza. He said to disconnect the battery to clear the code. Of course this did not work so I kept calling and i kept getting the "We are working on a fix and should have one available soon" Worst customer service ever! I gave up and bought a K&N and it works fine now. I was considering one for the 330 but f-that after such a bad experince with them the 1st time never again. I decided on Gruppe M and im completely satisfied.
Here is his info

AFE
attn: Eric Bajza
191 Granite St
Corona, CA 92879
Tel: 866-503-9911 ext.7108
Fax: 951-493-7177
eric@afefilters.com
      10-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #30
RichP
Major

Drives: V-Power

Put the stock box back in; that will tell you if you broke your MAF in the process of install. I am not familiar with the AFE install, but be sure you didnt cause a leak further down stream, such as on one of those rubber couplers that go between the throttle and intake. Also be sure that rubber hose is still connected to the intake tube by the throttle body. Sounds like an air leak so the MAF isnt measuring the amount of air it should.
      01-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #31
f1sprint

Drives: 957 Cayenne

HIT UP 330WHAT His car had the afe intake and his car has the same problem. His car has been at the delaership for over a week waiting on some sensors that were damaged guess the intake foueld two sensors.
      01-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #32
Chesmu
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Chesmu
[quote=westwest888;670784]
Every performance upgrade has a tradeoff or downside. [quote]

With all due respect, an UPgrade shouldn't have a DOWNside.

Re-read your own post objectively. Nothing you said would remotely encourage me to buy an aFe filter.

If all I'm gonna get out of a new intake is sound, then I think the silencer delete mod is where I'm headed.
      01-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #33
Chesmu
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Chesmu
Our definition of "upgrade" is different. I was gonna leave it at that. I was fine with your post until that last sentence, so...

People who need to talk about what "real men" do are not ones I really pay attention to. They are often people who feel the need to define themselves according to some sort of standard that they feel they have not lived up to. So if you feel that modding your car makes you "cool" or even "a real man" that's fine. Don't presume that because I have an opinion that is different from yours that I am a "girl". By the way, how do you know I'm not a girl? Are girls not allowed to drive cars as cool as yours? Nikki might disagree. Bella would kick your *ss.

Do girls drive 325's instead of 330's? Do girls need BMW assist because they can't change a flat tire? CA because your too f*cking lazy to press a button to unlock your door? Or just trying to show off with "clothes" that there's no "man" underneath.

See how bad presumptions/assumptions can be?

And just so you know, go to the DIY section and search for my user name. I may actually meet your definition of "a real man"... even if I don't want to.

Mark or Jason,

I'm sorry. This won't happen from me again.

Hey Westy, respond all you want...I'm outta here.

Last edited by Chesmu; 01-31-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Chesmu is offline   United_States
      01-31-2007, 10:09 PM   #34
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise

Drives: circles around you

can I be a real man like you? wow you must be a chick magnet, with testosterone oozing out of you
you're so cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
There's no such thing as a free upgrade. A formula 1 car is an upgrade from a street car, but needs the engine rebuilt every time you drive it. An F-18 fighter is an upgrade from a twin prop, but requires a crap load of spare parts every 100 engine hours. If you ever actually mod your car instead of just removing or misaligning an OEM part and not replacing it, you will find trade offs including but not limited to reduced gas mileage, harsher ride, etc. Real men mod their cars. Little girls whine about comfort and quiet rides.

My previous post is a "full disclosure" for the benefit of the community. Like if you had to confess every thing you've ever done wrong since you were 16. I had to reach to think of these things. While I wrote a paragraph about trade offs, I could write an entire book on how great upgrading your intake is. Obviously, I haven't put the stock one back on and don't intend to unless I sell my car to a girl, or you.
      02-02-2007, 02:20 AM   #35
ahnh77
chichen

Drives: e90 325xi

Send a message via AIM to ahnh77 Send a message via MSN to ahnh77 Send a message via Yahoo to ahnh77
this usually happens with new intakes that come with new cone filters...some new cone filters are over oiled.....oil particles get on the maf sensor....sometimes..the oil particles eventually come off the maf sensor and it fixes itself....but...if there is too much oil particles....the car feels like it lost almost all it's power...or if little over oiled...it sporadically loses power at open-throttle....

this has been rare but seen with many turbo cars that suck up large quantities of air through these over oiled intake filters...i've had same problems before with many new cone filters..or after it has been oiled....the solution..never install a new oiled cone filters straight out of the bag...i take it out and let is sit next to the heater....for weeks sometimes...dry out the oil a bit....because...once maf sensor is damaged...usually it needs to be replaced...unless the particles eventually come off if it was only contiminated just a bit...i've heard of do it yourself cleaning fix to maf sensor to make them work again..but if you ever seen the inside of the maf sensor..it's very fragile...

i never had any cel or maf sensor problems with the hks or greddy dry "mushroom shaped" intake filters...in any of my past turbo vehicles...it's usually not the design of the intake that creates problems...it's the oiled intake filter cones....honestly..design of intake makes minimal hp/torque difference....it's usually the intake filter used...how easily the air is sucked in..and how consistantly smooth the airflow is what makes the difference...

02-02-2007, 03:01 AM   #36
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter

Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnh77 View Post
this usually happens with new intakes that come with new cone filters...some new cone filters are over oiled.....oil particles get on the maf sensor....sometimes..the oil particles eventually come off the maf sensor and it fixes itself....but...if there is too much oil particles....the car feels like it lost almost all it's power...or if little over oiled...it sporadically loses power at open-throttle....

this has been rare but seen with many turbo cars that suck up large quantities of air through these over oiled intake filters...i've had same problems before with many new cone filters..or after it has been oiled....the solution..never install a new oiled cone filters straight out of the bag...i take it out and let is sit next to the heater....for weeks sometimes...dry out the oil a bit....because...once maf sensor is damaged...usually it needs to be replaced...unless the particles eventually come off if it was only contiminated just a bit...i've heard of do it yourself cleaning fix to maf sensor to make them work again..but if you ever seen the inside of the maf sensor..it's very fragile...

i never had any cel or maf sensor problems with the hks or greddy dry "mushroom shaped" intake filters...in any of my past turbo vehicles...it's usually not the design of the intake that creates problems...it's the oiled intake filter cones....honestly..design of intake makes minimal hp/torque difference....it's usually the intake filter used...how easily the air is sucked in..and how consistantly smooth the airflow is what makes the difference...

02-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #37
turpiwa
Aussie in TX

Drives: E90 330i Sports

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Installed - there is a difference but had to take it straight off!!!

Guys.

I just instlled the AFE Intake and it is pretty nice - probably a little louder than I had hoped but if it's kept under 3000 there is relatively no additional noise.

I definitely noticed a little kick - for thise who said they didn't, did you turn the DSC off - may sound silly but that extra kick for me - in 1st and 2nd translated to some chirping - which you won't notice if DSC is on.

Anyway - onto my main reason for posting. The intake tube from the filter housing to the intake manifold rubs on the bottom of the Power Steering reservoir bracket - rubbing away material from the tubing and causing a slight burning smell - noticable when revving stationary.

Anyone else had this problem - I must admit I should have pegged to it earlier as it was a bit of adog to get on and you guys all made it sound so easy.

Also - what type 'spacer' di you get for the MAF sensor?

Appreciate your help.

Last edited by turpiwa; 02-02-2007 at 05:27 PM.
turpiwa is offline   United_States
      02-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #38
turpiwa
Aussie in TX

Drives: E90 330i Sports

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedbimmer View Post
hmm, i think all the kits come with the same stuff, man. i think it was more of a gasket than a spacer and i dont have any rubbing. can you re-route the tube at all?
What do you mean with the DSC off? is that the button under the hazard lights? is it on when the light on your display is on or is it off? i want to be able to cut the ass of my car lose from time to time, do i need to push that button or leave it "unpushed"?
Yeh - at least that's what the manual says

Just hold it for about 5 seconds to turn DSC totally off.
turpiwa is offline   United_States