E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wavetrac or Quaife?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #67
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
*Quaife* has a very large line-up.
They have a front diff for the Xi, I can't imagine not having a rear for a DCT.

Wavetrac has less variety, so you may be stuck here... You may just need to get a standard 335 pumpkin and use that.

-scheherazade
quaife offers a lsd for the dct, wavetrac doesn't. changing pumpkin would mean a big change in final drive which I do not want.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #68
scheherazade
Major
30

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area


Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
quaife offers a lsd for the dct, wavetrac doesn't. changing pumpkin would mean a big change in final drive which I do not want.
With your DCT, left in auto mode, you'd be exceptionally well positioned to take advantage of 6MT's relatively* short final drive gearing. (*relative to DCT's 2.56:1. Typically you'd be over 4:1 to be called short geared.)

Your transmission would bang out the shifts so fast. You'd be a hole-shot monster

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #69
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
With your DCT, left in auto mode, you'd be exceptionally well positioned to take advantage of 6MT's relatively* short final drive gearing. (*relative to DCT's 2.56:1. Typically you'd be over 4:1 to be called short geared.)

Your transmission would bang out the shifts so fast. You'd be a hole-shot monster

-scheherazade
I have checked the impact of the gearing and IMO with a 3.08 the gearing becomes too short.

2.56 2.81 3.08

1st 46.1 41.9 38.3
2nd 72.0 65.6 59.8
3th 102.5 93.4 85.2
4th 131.1 119.5 109.0
5th 158.6 144.5 131.8
6th 183.6 167.3 152.6
7th 220.3 200.7 183.1
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #70
scheherazade
Major
30

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area


Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
I have checked the impact of the gearing and IMO with a 3.08 the gearing becomes too short.

2.56 2.81 3.08

1st 46.1 41.9 38.3
2nd 72.0 65.6 59.8
3th 102.5 93.4 85.2
4th 131.1 119.5 109.0
5th 158.6 144.5 131.8
6th 183.6 167.3 152.6
7th 220.3 200.7 183.1
I presume that's mph.

60 at the top of 2nd looks perfect.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #71
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

yup, these are mph. 2nd is ok, sure, but 4th and higher are getting too short IMO. With a M this would be nice, as the power band is much smaller, with a 335i with all the torque I do not see the point. (as my car is mainly daily driving, not tracking) Driving on the German highway hitting almost the speed limiter in 7th gear...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #72
scheherazade
Major
30

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area


Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
yup, these are mph. 2nd is ok, sure, but 4th and higher are getting too short IMO. With a M this would be nice, as the power band is much smaller, with a 335i with all the torque I do not see the point. (as my car is mainly daily driving, not tracking) Driving on the German highway hitting almost the speed limiter in 7th gear...
155 is vs 183, looks like you can still hit the limiter just fine
Should be around 6000 rpm - lots of power a that rpm.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #73
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Hi Eugen,

did you read this?

Matter-of-fact, I found it virtually impossible to get BMW to mod the diff. They can/will not open the diff, the neither have the knowlegde nor the tools for that. If you ever wondered why the BMW shops are so clean, this is the reason: They simply don't open things that could contain oil.

I had to go through a ZF shop in Munich to do the mod. On the other hand, they could not get the diff out, lacking the BMW tools. Thus, work had to be split and it was quite a costly operation (1200 for the parts, 400 for diff replacement and 400 for the diff mod).

After all, I'd recommend to get a full diff replacement from Birds including the cover. Granted, it costs more, but any BMW shop can do the exchange, plus you can sell the spare part, which is impossible when you do it the other way.
I got a feedback from my dealer today that they can install the Quaife, no problem. They would open the differential, and provide me the welded gearring which I would sent to Birds. After receiving it back, they would mount it again. It would be no problem to leave the car in the shop for 2 weeks. Would cost about 400-450 Euro. Sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #74
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
155 is vs 183, looks like you can still hit the limiter just fine
Should be around 6000 rpm - lots of power a that rpm.

-scheherazade
scheherazade, what would your suggestion for a Drexler setup? 40/20 lock?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #75
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

update. After evaluation of the Quaife and the Drexler LSD I decided to go for the Drexler LSD. Order is placed today. Quaife was more expensive here in Switzerland the one from Drexler, which is crazy, especially when you compare this to the prices from Birds. I also checked to order directly at Birds at arrange the install, but this got really complicated. My dealer give me a quote to do the built in / out, but after asking them again this quote of 400-450 euro was only to built in / out the pumpkin. The could not build in the diff. At that point I gave up.
I have a good shop next to the ring who will arrange the Drexler install. They will straight away install the M3 rubber mounts for the rear axle (good to combine this in one go) and the M3 strut brace. I am now discussing with them what king of set-up of I want, as Drexler customizes the LSD to your need. If anybody has suggestions...?

Cannot wait till April
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #76
Renus
Lieutenant
18

 
Renus's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 524
iTrader: (1)

Hey Marcel, can u pls tell what is the best combination for DCT? Quaife + gearset 3.08?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #77
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
Hey Marcel, can u pls tell what is the best combination for DCT? Quaife + gearset 3.08?
For me the gears would be too short with a 3.08 gearset, especially as I use it as a daily driver. With the 7 gears, the gears are already shorter then with a 6AT or manual. See the impact on the speed (mph) in an earlier post in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #78
scheherazade
Major
30

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area


Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
scheherazade, what would your suggestion for a Drexler setup? 40/20 lock?
I haven't used it so I can't say.

I'm sure it'll be a blast with default settings.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #79
tomtom
Captain
Canada
49

 
tomtom's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ontario


Posts: 986
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
They will straight away install the M3 rubber mounts for the rear axle (good to combine this in one go) and the M3 strut brace.

please explain which mounts and what difference they have?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #80
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
please explain which mounts and what difference they have?
there are several threads about this. The 4 rubber mounts of the rear axle carier of the 335i are quite soft. The ones of the M3 are much firmer resulting in a more settled rearend.

See part number 2 and 3 in the link below.
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9..._axle_carrier/
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #81
Renus
Lieutenant
18

 
Renus's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 524
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
For me the gears would be too short with a 3.08 gearset, especially as I use it as a daily driver. With the 7 gears, the gears are already shorter then with a 6AT or manual. See the impact on the speed (mph) in an earlier post in this thread.

So, 3.46 would be the best combination with Quaife? Is that true that only Quaife LSD is available for DCT drive?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #82
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
So, 3.46 would be the best combination with Quaife? Is that true that only Quaife LSD is available for DCT drive?
see post 71. I would not take a 3.46 having a DCT. The gearing will be far too short. I stay with 2.56 (standard).

Quaife offers something for the DCT, Wavetrac not (yet). Drexler offers also a LSD for the 335i DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:51 AM   #83
Renus
Lieutenant
18

 
Renus's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 524
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
see post 71. I would not take a 3.46 having a DCT. The gearing will be far too short. I stay with 2.56 (standard).

Quaife offers something for the DCT, Wavetrac not (yet). Drexler offers also a LSD for the 335i DCT.

Cool and thanks for your reply. So, you mean 2.56 is the stock's gearset, right?

Dexler seem quite expensive than Drexler, and according to Mr.5's Wavetrac istallation thread, I believe my garage can clearly know how to remove and install the LSD here in Hong Kong.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #84
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
Cool and thanks for your reply. So, you mean 2.56 is the stock's gearset, right?

Dexler seem quite expensive than Drexler, and according to Mr.5's Wavetrac istallation thread, I believe my garage can clearly know how to remove and install the LSD here in Hong Kong.
2.56 is indeed stock. Be carefull, you need a shop who can dismount the welded ring gear and attach it to the quaife (or wavetrac). You need some special tools for that.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #85
e.n335
Moderator
Austria
204

 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH


Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
2.56 is indeed stock. Be carefull, you need a shop who can dismount the welded ring gear and attach it to the quaife (or wavetrac). You need some special tools for that.

good luck!
Disagree somehow . Just request a 2.56 ring gear from diffsonline. Should be around $600. IMO the most cheap method for welded diffs.

Eugen
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #86
Renus
Lieutenant
18

 
Renus's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 524
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Disagree somehow . Just request a 2.56 ring gear from diffsonline. Should be around $600. IMO the most cheap method for welded diffs.

Eugen


Do you mean the welded ring gear doesn't need be removed from drive?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #87
e.n335
Moderator
Austria
204

 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH


Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
Do you mean the welded ring gear doesn't need be removed from drive?
exactly. this has been already discussed here. no need to remove or machine something in case you buy a new ring-gear and the quaife.
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #88
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
77

 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Disagree somehow . Just request a 2.56 ring gear from diffsonline. Should be around $600. IMO the most cheap method for welded diffs.

Eugen
you are right, this is an option as well I was however quoted quite a bit more...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335, jb3, lsd, quaife, wavetrac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST