E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > g35's overhyped?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #23
henryyxyu
Lieutenant
No_Country
17
Rep
585
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, F22 228i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

i still prefer the 350z over the G35.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #24
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
38
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

iTrader: (0)

i'd take the g35 over the 350z.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #25
Alpine3
Lieutenant Colonel
Alpine3's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
1,663
Posts

 
Drives: E92 328i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryyxyu View Post
i still prefer the 350z over the G35.
yea lighter n space only for u n ur girl i should have gotten a 2 seater maybe a z4?
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 8 points: (High visibility jacket; Strip Club; Pizzeria; Sobriety Test; E9x dressed for Halloween, Billiards, Oil Change, Orange Cone)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #26
EJ2000
Private First Class
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 G37
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3 View Post
well i was originally comparing a 328 coupe vs 280hp G coupe ...ive beaten the auto n was neck and neck with stick....i guess the g is too heavy for the 280 ponies
But my point is that the old body style coupes could have been 260, 280, or 298 horsepower. Unless you know the specifics of the what model year or could identify the model based on the facelift - it's hard to know which one you went against.

In other words, it'd be like racing a debadged 325i and then saying 328i's or 330i's are overhyped... I wouldn't be surprised if it was close between a 260 hp G35 and a 328i - but it wouldn't be with a 298 horsepower G35.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #27
Ender514
General
Ender514's Avatar
United_States
210
Rep
20,999
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2000 View Post
But my point is that the old body style coupes could have been 260, 280, or 298 horsepower. Unless you know the specifics of the what model year or could identify the model based on the facelift - it's hard to know which one you went against.

In other words, it'd be like racing a debadged 325i and then saying 328i's or 330i's are overhyped... I wouldn't be surprised if it was close between a 260 hp G35 and a 328i - but it wouldn't be with a 298 horsepower G35.
in reality, the coupes, no matter what model year, were basically the same performace wise. yes, the 05-07's have the REV-UP 298hp motor, but they also loss 10 lb/torque over the 03-04's. they all ran around a 14.0 sec 1/4 mile.
__________________
09' E92 335i | 6MT | Montego Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Sirius | Comfort Access | iPod and USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #28
EJ2000
Private First Class
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 G37
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender514 View Post
in reality, the coupes, no matter what model year, were basically the same performace wise. yes, the 05-07's have the REV-UP 298hp motor, but they also loss 10 lb/torque over the 03-04's. they all ran around a 14.0 sec 1/4 mile.
That's a good point about the hp/torque differences. Although maybe I'm nitpicking a bit, but in my experience (I previously had a rev-up manual G35 coupe), the rev-up engine was definitely faster. I test drove the old non-revup motor and the newer 6 speed and auto coupes and found that the stick felt quickest. Even if the performance varied between 14.0 and 14.5, that still puts the slowest G35's slightly faster than a 328i (getting back on topic).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #29
Ender514
General
Ender514's Avatar
United_States
210
Rep
20,999
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2000 View Post
That's a good point about the hp/torque differences. Although maybe I'm nitpicking a bit, but in my experience (I previously had a rev-up manual G35 coupe), the rev-up engine was definitely faster. I test drove the old DE motor and the HR 6 speed and auto coupes and found that the stick felt quickest. Even if the performance varied between 14.0 and 14.5, that still puts the slowest G35's slightly faster than a 328i (getting back on topic).
oh i agree. i think any model year G should beat a 328. though, the autos were a bit slower than the manuals. so that could make the difference.

the G coupes never got the HR motor. only the sedans did.
__________________
09' E92 335i | 6MT | Montego Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Sirius | Comfort Access | iPod and USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #30
EJ2000
Private First Class
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 G37
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender514 View Post
oh i agree. i think any model year G should beat a 328. though, the autos were a bit slower than the manuals. so that could make the difference.

the G coupes never got the HR motor. only the sedans did.
ok - then we're agreed.

Yeah, I realized I misspoke on the engine references and tried to edit it quickly - apparently you are too fast!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #31
Ender514
General
Ender514's Avatar
United_States
210
Rep
20,999
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2000 View Post
ok - then we're agreed.

Yeah, I realized I misspoke on the engine references and tried to edit it quickly - apparently you are too fast!
ha!

so you have a G37 now?

i miss my old G35. i loved the car.
__________________
09' E92 335i | 6MT | Montego Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Sirius | Comfort Access | iPod and USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #32
EJ2000
Private First Class
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 G37
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender514 View Post
ha!

so you have a G37 now?

i miss my old G35. i loved the car.
Yeah, I picked up my G37 in late 2007. On a daily basis, I appreciate a lot of the creature comforts and luxury. It is a bit quicker and I do think the styling looks great (especially in black). But I always get nostalgic when I see a tasteful G35 coupe drive by! I cross shopped the e92 335i - and it was an amazing car as well. Once my lease is done, I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it out, go LCI e92 335i, used M3, or maybe even something else... We'll see!

How is your 335i treating you? I have to say, there is a low mileage CPO 08 e92 335i by me... it's the dark silver, and it passes my dealbreaker test as it is 6MT with NAV and no front license plate bracket... and is awfully tempting!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #33
Ender514
General
Ender514's Avatar
United_States
210
Rep
20,999
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2000 View Post
Yeah, I picked up my G37 in late 2007. On a daily basis, I appreciate a lot of the creature comforts and luxury. It is a bit quicker and I do think the styling looks great (especially in black). But I always get nostalgic when I see a tasteful G35 coupe drive by! I cross shopped the e92 335i - and it was an amazing car as well. Once my lease is done, I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it out, go LCI e92 335i, used M3, or maybe even something else... We'll see!

How is your 335i treating you? I have to say, there is a low mileage CPO 08 e92 335i by me... it's the dark silver, and it passes my dealbreaker test as it is 6MT with NAV and no front license plate bracket... and is awfully tempting!
i heard the transmission is a little better on the G37. i always thought it was rough on the G35.

i love the 335. i'm very happy with it i would say you wont be disappointed if you switch thats for sure.
__________________
09' E92 335i | 6MT | Montego Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Sirius | Comfort Access | iPod and USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #34
Alpine3
Lieutenant Colonel
Alpine3's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
1,663
Posts

 
Drives: E92 328i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2000 View Post
But my point is that the old body style coupes could have been 260, 280, or 298 horsepower. Unless you know the specifics of the what model year or could identify the model based on the facelift - it's hard to know which one you went against.

In other words, it'd be like racing a debadged 325i and then saying 328i's or 330i's are overhyped... I wouldn't be surprised if it was close between a 260 hp G35 and a 328i - but it wouldn't be with a 298 horsepower G35.
there is no 260 hp coupe..only sedans r 260 n they r slow as fu**...there are 275hp, 280hp, and 293 coupes....i raced a 280hp auto one and a 280hp stick one...its a bimmer forum n u guys dont believe in the 328 ..lol il make a video n post it
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 8 points: (High visibility jacket; Strip Club; Pizzeria; Sobriety Test; E9x dressed for Halloween, Billiards, Oil Change, Orange Cone)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #35
balance
Colonel
balance's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,081
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OC

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.50]
g35s are pretty slow
back when i was stock i ran into a modded one and we were neck and neck until about 60 and then i started passing him
when we stopped he rolled down the window and asked if my car was fully bolted
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #36
number335
Second Lieutenant
number335's Avatar
5
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

G35's were known for the best value in the luxury sports car segment when they first came out. Not only that, they were gorgeous looking cars at the time. The 3 series needed a makeover and people were buying the G. Now that the looks have worn off and the G37 is now priced about 10k more than the G35, it's no longer the bargain it used to be. Spend a little more now and you can get a 335.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #37
bulldog x6
Major General
65
Rep
5,022
Posts

 
Drives: x6 panzer
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: probably work

iTrader: (28)

they are slow... put several bus lengths on a g37 that revved at me at a light with DCI and JB3 1.3 map 5
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #38
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
5,192
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
I got a fully loaded G35C in 2004 and it was $36k. That's a pretty damn good value and the car looked and performed great for the time. Looks are subjective but it sure got a great deal of attention when I first bought it and to say the car is *slow* is pretty exaggerated. It moved pretty good in 2004 and don't forget, at that time the E46 M3 was doing mid 4sec 0-60 and that was a $50k+ car. That's now what the 135i does out of the box.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #39
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
5,192
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
they are slow... put several bus lengths on a g37 that revved at me at a light with DCI and JB3 1.3 map 5
You beat a probably stock G37 with a generously tuned twin-turbo I6 and are calling the G "slow?" The G37 is not slow... you are just very fast!
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 01-12-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #40
josephr25
Major
United_States
18
Rep
1,458
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
they are slow... put several bus lengths on a g37 that revved at me at a light with DCI and JB3 1.3 map 5
As slow as your thinking?

Why don't we compare F1 cars while we're at it; it makes sense.

G35s were cool in the day... obviously the Nissan bits showed but otherwise a good deal then.
__________________
"Yeah; well, my interior is better."
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #41
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
38
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
to say the car is *slow* is pretty exaggerated.
More than exaggerated.


Its bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #42
joeygambino
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: E300
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

drove a g35 many times and the bmw impressed me so much more
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #43
hiimwayne
Private
hiimwayne's Avatar
4
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (1)

I loved my old 2003 G35 coupe. But I love my 335i more!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #44
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
8
Rep
682
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Back in 2006 I test drove a G35 and a 330i back-to-back. Dealerships were a couple hundred yards apart. G35 was impressively fast, moving around but holding firm around a tight, bumpy 40km turn at about 120. Then I drove the 330i.............same corner, same speed, but I could have been sipping a cup of coffee while driving one-handed in the 300i. That sealed it, BMW was worht the extra $$$, bough one about a week later. Never regretted the decision once.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST