E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MP3 problem



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2007, 02:32 AM   #23
acizek
Second Lieutenant
 
acizek's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Budapest

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Question

tried burning again with Nero and settings from this forum... still same result, doesn't show last folder at all and from the one before last (7th) shows only one album and in that album only 2 songs.
looks like there is an issue with "how much" in terms of either size in GB or "how many" folders and/or tracks the iDrive can read from a DVD.
anyone encountered similar issue???
acizek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2007, 02:35 AM   #24
acizek
Second Lieutenant
 
acizek's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Budapest

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
looking at the size it can read my assumption is that my (any other?) iDrive has issue with accessing second layer of a two layer DVD...
acizek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #25
bakdraft
Private First Class
 
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool England

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek
looking at the size it can read my assumption is that my (any other?) iDrive has issue with accessing second layer of a two layer DVD...
From memory, my first Double layer DVD had something like 2,200 Tracks on, about 200 Artists ( and thus folders ) and Ocupied 8Gb. Currently I cannot verify exact stats as another kind forum member has it to test it for themselves... maybe they could verify the exact stats...

My iTunes conversion ( 70Gb) over from AAC to mp3 is going slowly.... my original estimate of 7 days maybe out due to everytime it finds a slightly glitched track or a track that reqs authorisation it just stops, and as I am not monitoring it 24/7, this means I only notice say 5 or 6 hours later wasting tons of time. Still it is slowly getting there... it is up to E..... only 21 to go... So it will be a little time yet before I can verify for myself.

Dave
bakdraft is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #26
rob72
/dev/random
 
rob72's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Europe

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

Could also be that it hits a filename of a certain length or a filename with a character that it does not like and it just stops scanning the directory structure any further.

I have not done any test, but the DVD drive does not seem to like for instance the Microsoft Joliet extension for Navigation DVDs. So you might try burning a DVD with the filesystem set to ISO9660, file length set to ISO Level 2 (max 31 chars) and the character set to ISO 9660.

Again this is just a guess. For all I know it indeed does not like DL (Dual Layer) media.
rob72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #27
acizek
Second Lieutenant
 
acizek's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Budapest

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Dave
and were you able to see/play all songs on that DVD? I don't have a problem with playing anything above it, but than based on seomthing the iDrive just doesn't show the rest of folders and songs...
would really like to know why...
acizek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #28
bakdraft
Private First Class
 
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool England

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek
Dave
and were you able to see/play all songs on that DVD? I don't have a problem with playing anything above it, but than based on seomthing the iDrive just doesn't show the rest of folders and songs...
would really like to know why...
For the short time I had it, it worked perfectly... ALL Artists/ songs etc scrollable.... Hundreds... all playable... I am sure my friend will pickup and be able to answer more definitevly.

Dave
P.S. Just ggot home... now on H.. yawn!
bakdraft is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #29
Scottie
Scottie
 
Drives: BMW 320Dse E90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

MP3 Problem

Hi guys from UK

I have just joined the forum after looking around at various posts

Thought I might help on the IDrive controller issue being discussed.

I have just had the CIP updated on my E90 - BEFORE Version 23 MP3 functionality worked from 09 2005 build onwards with NO issues on scrolling - ie resistance after the initial screen

Now after updating to 24.2 the resistance is there and is quite strong.

Same thing happens on telephone scoll listing and that is a bigger pain

BMW are aware this is an issue and have undertaken to issue a fix during the next cip update to Version 25 which is due here in Europe in March

The other issue which Version 24.2 makes is that the firmware on the DVD navigation drive is "updated" also - means it won't read copied discs - only originals

If anyone has a way around this I would be glad to know !

My guess would be that this is a deliberate move by BMW to avoid copying - The NAV discs are around GBP 200 here + taxes

I know they are also trying in future to limit the disc to be played only on one specific car and making you validate and authenticate the software

I was told also that the next version 25 will likely be able to read from USB stick or some such device - Wait till we see the new 5 series I guess


Hope that helps from a newcomer

Scottie is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #30
bakdraft
Private First Class
 
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool England

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Hi guys from UK

I have just joined the forum after looking around at various posts

Thought I might help on the IDrive controller issue being discussed.

I have just had the CIP updated on my E90 - BEFORE Version 23 MP3 functionality worked from 09 2005 build onwards with NO issues on scrolling - ie resistance after the initial screen

Now after updating to 24.2 the resistance is there and is quite strong.

Same thing happens on telephone scoll listing and that is a bigger pain

BMW are aware this is an issue and have undertaken to issue a fix during the next cip update to Version 25 which is due here in Europe in March

The other issue which Version 24.2 makes is that the firmware on the DVD navigation drive is "updated" also - means it won't read copied discs - only originals

If anyone has a way around this I would be glad to know !

My guess would be that this is a deliberate move by BMW to avoid copying - The NAV discs are around GBP 200 here + taxes

I know they are also trying in future to limit the disc to be played only on one specific car and making you validate and authenticate the software

I was told also that the next version 25 will likely be able to read from USB stick or some such device - Wait till we see the new 5 series I guess


Hope that helps from a newcomer


A few comments on your comments...

My car has just come back from being updated to Progman 24 a week ago.

I found the resistance a little bit harder than 22.... BUT there was always resistance after the first 5 tracks.

Regarding the not reading copied discs... I have a copied disk in my car and it is reading it fine with no issues... That said it had already read the copied disk before the upgrade... so now I am concerned about the future..

I will await other UK user views...
bakdraft is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #31
vivekk
THE Viv
 
vivekk's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SE
Join Date: May 2005
Location: the North, UK

Posts: 4,740
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft View Post
A few comments on your comments...

My car has just come back from being updated to Progman 24 a week ago.

I found the resistance a little bit harder than 22.... BUT there was always resistance after the first 5 tracks.

Regarding the not reading copied discs... I have a copied disk in my car and it is reading it fine with no issues... That said it had already read the copied disk before the upgrade... so now I am concerned about the future..

I will await other UK user views...
Sorry to go off topic, but...

My view is that BMW & Navteq are simply taking the f***ing p*ss, regarding SatNav updates.

They charge a relatively large amount for software, which, in my opinion, is worse than the likes of the combined hardware & software of the cheaper TomTom One, in terms of user friendliness.

The incorporation of the USB flashdrive-reading software & hardware (retrofittable I expect) is welcome, as it will allow for a far bigger audience for portable music.

It's just a shame we'll be unlikely to use the device to update the satnav map data with our own, easily editable POIs & addressbook info.

Viv
__________________
[TiAg ▪ Dakota Black ▪ Active steering ▪ Sports suspension ▪ 162s ▪ Sports seats ▪ Al trim ▪ Bi-Xenons ▪ F&R PDC NavPro ▪ Voice control ▪ Bluetooth ▪ 6CD Logic7]


vivekk is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST