E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i Drag Racing Obsession

01-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #45
I335
Brigadier General

Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown09 View Post
Have you ever done the 1/4? It is fun! I am also looking at road racing and hope to try it soon. I imagine it get's expensive though. Grand touring on I-10 is cool and all, but you will get in trouble for going over 100mph. Working on improving your times and doing modifications and seeing the results is fun too. I agree though some take it overboard but doing a few mods and keeping it clean doesn't hurt and 1 gallon of water in my trunk doesn't bother me.
Yes, many times and I love it too. I just don't do this sort of thing with my BMW. When I think of drag racing, only American muslce cars & trucks (we used to race pickups for fun) come to mind and absolutely NOTHING else. Any non-American car just looks wrong to me on a drag strip...
      03-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #46
krnnerdboy
Colonel

Drives: v10 m6

for me it's about hitting goals, kicking tires, learning about cars, and yes obsession w/ anything to do w/ cars. but I'm not limited to drags as I track it every so often as well. It just takes too much prep to get a weekend off from my business, while the drags are still open even after my business is closed

imports are definitely the underdogs at drags, but by your definition of muscle my old 300 srt8 falls under it. And my M is quicker

this is like a biker asking you, what you enjoy about 4 wheels pushing through corners when two wheels turn into corners? I like them all 2 or 4 wheels, straight or curvy, skinny or chunky, bald or hairy

W463, f30, 640i gc , gt3
Recent past: z4m, x5 lci, boss 302, c6 z06, m6

Last edited by krnnerdboy; 03-25-2010 at 11:49 AM.
krnnerdboy is offline   United_States
      03-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #47
DR_E92
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Yes, many times and I love it too. I just don't do this sort of thing with my BMW. When I think of drag racing, only American muslce cars & trucks (we used to race pickups for fun) come to mind and absolutely NOTHING else. Any non-American car just looks wrong to me on a drag strip...
I know this is your own personal opinion but do you think ppl were only doing drag racing in the US? car guys existed all over the world since cars were invented and guys have always been trying to push their car to the limit.

You may think they look wrong but just take a look at this thread. One is used for the JGTC and the other has set numerous track records and they can still beat any american car at the 1/4 mile track
      03-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #48
hotrod182

Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydorty View Post
I know this car in stock trim isn't perfect for a road course either, but neither was my M3. After two laps at 80-90%, the stock brakes were mush.

A couple of your replies seem to get what I was talking about - drag racing is fun and relatively cheap but that seems to be many many owners' sole concern.

Again, to each his own. I'm not trying to make any enemies here, its just a completely different world here.
I have found my car to be great at many things:

Runs low 11's at the dragstrip. Stunning some of these people with loud/mean sounding V8 muscle cars.

Driving home from the drag strip I can get 25-30mpg on the fwy, in a car that is so quiet on the FWY, you don't even hear the engine.

The next day I can go canyon racing against sport bikes/Lotus (see my youtube videos).

In fact, the last autocross event I went to, I beat a few M3s, and the top street car time was achieved by a 335i sedan, not by one of the many M3s there.

And lastly, some of us just love the torque/thrust/acceleration of the 335i. We will gas it anytime we have a chance, launching away from an intersection, coming out of a sweeper, etc. Most people have no idea how fast these sleepers are. It pretty addicting. .
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph (N54 trap speed WR)
60-130mph: 6.95 seconds stock turbo WR (.16% slope)
      03-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #49
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
It's the easiest way for the vendors to gauge how well their products work. They test and develop products using drag racing as a benchmark.
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
      03-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #50
M3_WC
Colonel

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydorty View Post
That being said, I'm not judging nor badmouthing those of you who "live their lives a quarter mile at a time". I'm just curious, why the 335i and not something better suited for the 1/4 mile?
The draggers came when BMW decided to put twin turbos in what use to be their entry-level car. Simple as that.

Also a lot of the import car kids of the 90's have now graduated college and have some money. They have purchased their first German car. Why not BMW's twin turbo platform.

Without addressing cooling issues, the 335i can be a pain in the ass at a road course. BMW is no longer just building great handling cars with average power.

I know Jap import car guys in the past had always talk crap on BMW owners. Now that BMW threw in some turbos and little money makes them go fast, they have shut up. I am willing to bet some of the crap talkers might now be driving a N54 powered car.

Last edited by M3_WC; 03-26-2010 at 12:42 AM.