E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Navigation Night/Day Mode Automatic Setting?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
knbcpab
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
32
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Navigation Night/Day Mode Automatic Setting?

have a 2010 335d with Navigation. Unlike my Toyota, Mercedes and Lexus you have to manually switch from day to night mode. On my other cars when the headlights went on the navigation screen would change to night or dark. Anyone know if there is an automatic setting?.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
tlak77
Private
United_States
0
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marion, IA

iTrader: (0)

No, no automatic option, you can assign one of the buttons to do it for a quick change.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
ct335i
BMW 4 LIFE
ct335i's Avatar
Canada
9
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
On my 07 335i, the Nav/I-drive screen is adjusted automatically when headlight is on /off. However there is a brightness option for the screen you can set manaully to your preference.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i |Sparkling Graphite |Sport PKG | Nav with I-Drive| Bluetooth |Comfort Access | Blackline Tail Lights | Rear trunk spolier | CF Splitters
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
pagefault
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct335i View Post
On my 07 335i, the Nav/I-drive screen is adjusted automatically when headlight is on /off. However there is a brightness option for the screen you can set manaully to your preference.
Night mode has nothing to do with the screen brightness level, it's a different color scheme.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
mahutchi
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
47
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UT

iTrader: (0)

My 07 335 shows the nav screen the same brightness day or night. How do you get it to adjust? looked all through the owners manual and didnt find a thing.
__________________

335i 6MT, Sport, Prem, iDrive, OEM aero kit, fake 19" BBS LS1, JB3 2.0, HFE intake, 1.21 jigawatt flux capacitor
Tell the wifey I went for a drive...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
paulcheung
Captain
paulcheung's Avatar
No_Country
7
Rep
622
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i BSM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (1)

im just wondering why does this matter?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
pagefault
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahutchi View Post
My 07 335 shows the nav screen the same brightness day or night. How do you get it to adjust? looked all through the owners manual and didnt find a thing.
Screen brightness is adjustable under the main menu, settings screen, at least on the 2010s.

But Night mode is entirely separate from brightness.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
pagefault
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcheung View Post
im just wondering why does this matter?
Why does it matter that it's not automatic, or why does night mode matter?

Night mode matters because having light colors at night is distracting and bad for your night vision. Night mode switches to muted blues and grays.

Does it matter that it's not automatic? Maybe not, but it sure seems like it would be more convenient if it were.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
MichTa73
Private
MichTa73's Avatar
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i Cv
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328xi  [0.00]
This seems like a sad oversight. I mean, the stereo gets louder the faster the car goes, so it would make sense to go into night mode when the headlights turn on.

Personally, I like it when things make sense.
__________________

2010 335i Cv | Le Mans Blue | Black/Gray Poplar
AT | M Sport | ZPP | ZCW | NAV | Logic7 | CA | PDC
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
13
Rep
465
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 Space Gray 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichTa73 View Post
This seems like a sad oversight. I mean, the stereo gets louder the faster the car goes, so it would make sense to go into night mode when the headlights turn on.

Personally, I like it when things make sense.
I'm with you and the OP. Although it's not needed, with all the "auto" settings on this car, I thought this would surely be one of them. If the auto lights can detect when to flip on, why not this?

Oh well, not the end of the world as someone mentioned, but it would be nice
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
6
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT MS + F25 35i AT
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (2)

I've set my #6 button to toggle between day and night mode. Works well. Just go to the Options menu, select the night mode check mark and press and hold your configurable button of choice. If set properly, when you touch the button (before pressing it) it should indicate its toggling the day/night mode of the nav screen at the top of the screen.

Maybe in the 2011 models it'll be automatic?

Is there any way to update the 3D building maps?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
bman8
Private
bman8's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: 09' E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

I ended up leaving it in the night mode all the time. I can't believe idrive can't provide such a simple feature, at the very least it should allow setting a time to automatically switching between the two modes.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
JSTDR1V's Avatar
No_Country
38
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana View Post

Maybe in the 2011 models it'll be automatic?

Is there any way to update the 3D building maps?

Nope, still not automatic in 2011... you'd figure it would be at this point.


I think the 3D maps are with a map update. 2011 updates are available now <09 you get the cds, LCI you have to go to the dealer to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Nope, still not automatic in 2011... you'd figure it would be at this point.


I think the 3D maps are with a map update. 2011 updates are available now <09 you get the cds, LCI you have to go to the dealer to install.
No, you can do Map updates yourself: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
The Automatic Day/Night mode is indeed in the MY2009-on CIC coding, but I have not been able to actually make it work, only to display the option in the screen:

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Automatic Day/Night mode is indeed in the MY2009-on CIC coding, but I have not been able to actually make it work, only to display the option in the screen:

I have a 2009 LCI E90, and I do not see that option. I just have a checkbox next to Night Mode. Nothing automatic or otherwise. Could it be that my navigation software is still 2009?
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #17
q96
Private
3
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: F31 330d Pack M
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

I've seen also this automatic mode on the new X3, but didn't had the possibility to check if it works or not ! And it didn't came to the screen like on your picture, you can see empty boxes on each line were there is no boxes on your picture - sorry I don't have the car to make a picture !!)

To Technic, have you tryed to remove some of the map options ? I remember that you can not have night mode visualy (even with your own choice) when some other options are chosen (If I remember well, it doesn't work when the traffic map option is on !?)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I have a 2009 LCI E90, and I do not see that option. I just have a checkbox next to Night Mode. Nothing automatic or otherwise. Could it be that my navigation software is still 2009?
That was shown thru custom coding, it is not normally displayed.

The point was that there is a variable in the CIC software that enables Automatic Day/Night, but either it requires another variable/coding (light switch, light sensor) or this feature simply does not apply to the 3-Series in particular.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by q96 View Post
I've seen also this automatic mode on the new X3, but didn't had the possibility to check if it works or not ! And it didn't came to the screen like on your picture, you can see empty boxes on each line were there is no boxes on your picture - sorry I don't have the car to make a picture !!)

To Technic, have you tryed to remove some of the map options ? I remember that you can not have night mode visualy (even with your own choice) when some other options are chosen (If I remember well, it doesn't work when the traffic map option is on !?)
Thanks... I don't have the Traffic map enabled and still it does not work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Thanks... I don't have the Traffic map enabled and still it does not work.
I turned off the traffic map, used one of the presets to toggle day/night mode, no problems now.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I turned off the traffic map, used one of the presets to toggle day/night mode, no problems now.
That's not the issue here -I have the Night mode also in a button, it is the Automatic feature that does not work after enabling it...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #22
SteveMD
Colonel
SteveMD's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,431
Posts

 
Drives: '12 X5 50i, '11 GTI DSG
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raventown!

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2012 X5 50i  [0.00]
09 here. I also have a preset button to switch from day to night and am amazed this isn't coded in. My $200 Garmin does it based on sunrise and sunset times in the map data.
__________________
2006 E90 330i (retired)
2009 E90 335i (retired)
2012 E70 X5 50i M Sport, JB Stage 1, 4.6 secs 0-60.
2011 VW GTI/DSG
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST