E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > can you install an aftermarket cd/dvd player with an idrive unit?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
weezyf
New Member
3
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: still looking
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

can you install an aftermarket cd/dvd player with an idrive unit?

reason why I ask is because I am sort of an audio geek and I hate hooking up my system to stock stereos.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
United_States
74
Rep
6,562
Posts

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (8)

I'd post in the Audio section.
__________________
'15 i3 REX // Capparis // ZGW // ZTD // HK // 20"
20% Tint, Coding, LED High Beams/Signals, Painted Reflectors, MAX2 Hardwire
Past: F30 335i, E90 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
weezyf
New Member
3
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: still looking
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

can a mod move this thread for me?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel
34
Rep
1,866
Posts

Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta GA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
you probably can if you're willing to give up the idrive screen, BT, nav, radio, gongs, etc as well of a slew of error codes.

you'd have to bypass the car amp and run new speaker wiring and find a installation kit (for mounting unit).

alternatively, you can move the current CCC unit (thing you put dvd's / cd's into) to another location (eg trunk / glovebox / etc). Outside extending the electrical wiring, you'd have to extend fiber optic lines too. Once moved you can plug your new unit into your stock "aux" connector.

or you can buy a idrive screen interfacing unit that allows you to inject a composite video signal from a camera or a dvd player while still keeping your idrive functions in tact.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
dimabimmer's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
1,884
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn to SoHo NYC

iTrader: (0)

on '08 or later i-drive is DVD capable, and you can watch movies, videos when car is in "park", but there is a chip that overrides that. There have been numerous posts on that here.
__________________
'11 E92 M3 ZCP SG 6MT Tech Sound USB Heat Cloth Aluminium Sunshade
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422151
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
143
Rep
7,090
Posts

Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
You can probably wire a cd palyer to the aux input but as for video it looks like the only option is the tvandnav2go (I think that's what it's called). Pretty pricey though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
DJKhan85
Major
DJKhan85's Avatar
Trinidad_and_tobago
12
Rep
1,190
Posts

Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
on '08 or later i-drive is DVD capable, and you can watch movies, videos when car is in "park", but there is a chip that overrides that. There have been numerous posts on that here.
09 and above. I can not play DVDs in my 08 iDrive.
__________________
2011 VW GTI 4dr-6mt-Sunroof-Nav-Xenons
OLD:
08 335i AW/CR/Poplar 6mt-ZSP-ZPP-ZCW-iPod-iDrive-PDC-Style 230s w/FK 452-Dinan LSD
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
dimabimmer's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
1,884
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn to SoHo NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
09 and above. I can not play DVDs in my 08 iDrive.
True, '09 and above.

If you find the way to get this work on '08, I would like to know as well...

How much is the i-drive replacement unit at the dealer? I was thinking it should be around $2k, and maybe '08 unit could be swapped for an '09... problem solved. Most likely only part of i-drive needs to be replaced, not the entire unit, so it should be a lot cheaper than $2k.
__________________
'11 E92 M3 ZCP SG 6MT Tech Sound USB Heat Cloth Aluminium Sunshade
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422151
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Kilgore Trout's Avatar
22
Rep
1,375
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
I don't think you can. Well, there is an old saying "never say never". If my guess is correct, when you remove the i-drive CD unit your i-drive will stop working. Someone please confirm.
The CIC and the DVD/CD player are one and the same. You can't replace one without the other. They are contained in the exact same unit. My CD player had to be replaced earlier this year because it was making a popping noise. BMW replaced the entire CIC to address the issue.

Other features of the sound system, like the Sirius receiver, can be replaced - not the CD player.

You probably could wire an aftermarket CD player in the trunk area, but that would not lead to any sound improvements. The limitations in the stock systems are mostly in the speakers and amp.

The easiest solution to upgrading sound is replacing speakers. And, that is pretty much true in any decent OEM system on the market.
__________________
E91 Montego Blue gray leather burl walnut , Idrive, PDC, Logic7, CA, Sirius, xenons, 6FL, ZPP, heated seats, 17" tires.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
1616
Rep
13,459
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
you probably can if you're willing to give up the idrive screen, BT, nav, radio, gongs, etc as well of a slew of error codes.

you'd have to bypass the car amp and run new speaker wiring and find a installation kit (for mounting unit).

alternatively, you can move the current CCC unit (thing you put dvd's / cd's into) to another location (eg trunk / glovebox / etc). Outside extending the electrical wiring, you'd have to extend fiber optic lines too. Once moved you can plug your new unit into your stock "aux" connector.

or you can buy a idrive screen interfacing unit that allows you to inject a composite video signal from a camera or a dvd player while still keeping your idrive functions in tact.
Include coding out the unit or any type of update or CIP sessions will fail as the VO will always be looking for these devices.

OP: The stock radio is very good, amps/speakers is what needs attention - depending on music preference.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
dimabimmer's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
1,884
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn to SoHo NYC

iTrader: (0)

I think the entire '08 i-drive swapped for '09...with '09 LCD screen and dash, would make DVD's playable, figure $2k+labor etc,.... still is cheaper than getting the whole new car....
__________________
'11 E92 M3 ZCP SG 6MT Tech Sound USB Heat Cloth Aluminium Sunshade
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422151
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
luigialtamirano
Registered
Peru
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2009 318i LCI Euro
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lima

iTrader: (0)

Question CIC Optical Drive Repair/Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The CIC and the DVD/CD player are one and the same. You can't replace one without the other. They are contained in the exact same unit. My CD player had to be replaced earlier this year because it was making a popping noise. BMW replaced the entire CIC to address the issue.

Other features of the sound system, like the Sirius receiver, can be replaced - not the CD player.

You probably could wire an aftermarket CD player in the trunk area, but that would not lead to any sound improvements. The limitations in the stock systems are mostly in the speakers and amp.

The easiest solution to upgrading sound is replacing speakers. And, that is pretty much true in any decent OEM system on the market.

I have a E90 post-LCI 318i European version (manufactured 11/2008), with Professional Navigation package (CIC iDrive, with optical drive and hard disk included in the head unit). CIC faceplate has preset buttons marked 1 to 8 (I mention this as I have seen others with only 6 presets)

The CD/DVD drive isn't working, as I can't read any music CDs o movie DVDs. Everything else works OK. I believe this has happened because of lack of use, the previous owner tells me he hasn't used the CD/DVD drive for 3 years. When I insert CDs or DVDs I get "Unknown" in the CIC display. I bought a lens cleaner CD but this didn't fix it. I realized it wasn't a problem with the lens, it seems that the disc isn't even spinning because the sound emitted by the drive was very low, I can just hear an intermittent brief hum every 3 seconds.

I have read everywhere that the optical drive cannot be replaced separately. This post (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...43&postcount=9) supports this view also. However, according to page 18 of a CIC Service Manual I found

(http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...hmentid=244402)

the "DVD/CD player including the CIC housing cover" is an individual replaceable component of the CIC module.

I wonder that I could remove the CIC, and take only the optical drive module to a technician with general knowledge so that hopefully he can repair it. In Peru, where I live in, I haven't found technicians specialized in BMW electronic equipment repair. The BMW dealership I believe won't try to fix the optical drive, they will just opt to replace the whole CIC module (they sell it here for USD$4000) which is VERY expensive.

Please advice as to which would be the better solution to this problem. Is it possible for a technician with general knowledge to fix the optical drive? Where could I buy just the optical drive and replace it myself? Is my only option to buy the whole CIC?

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
mathematics
Captain
mathematics's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

I took idrive out and had errors coded out. Kenwood double din in place of CIC and an alpine screen mounted where the idrive screen was which connected to the kenwood. It displayed either navigation or DVD video while I did other things with the kenwood simultaneously.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:22 AM   #14
heinrich
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2007 E93
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I'm considering doing this, unless I can move the CCC to the trunk. Do you find you've lost anything?

iDrive is:
Nav (I find mine useless, using my phone)

Radio (I would probably feel the loss of this when I install the Pioneer SPH-DA120 but honestly I use radio exclusively for music and having modern carplay / pandora / USB will probably be compensation enough)

DVD & CD (once I have USB, these will never be used anyway)

Service information (I DO find this very useful)

Time (this will be taken care of with the aftermarket unit)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
I took idrive out and had errors coded out. Kenwood double din in place of CIC and an alpine screen mounted where the idrive screen was which connected to the kenwood. It displayed either navigation or DVD video while I did other things with the kenwood simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #15
mathematics
Captain
mathematics's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

You don't need the service info. It's all on the cluster. I don't miss a single thing. Remember, the cars without iDrive have to give the same service info.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
heinrich
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2007 E93
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for replying, mathematics. A few questions:
Did you have L7?
What did you do for PDC (parking distance)?
ctuna recommends against this (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255074), and that sort of scares me ... I have thought much about it. As "cool" as L7 and the existing setup is, it is old, and truthfully never served my needs. So what if I can listen to the radio and CD's in high quality.

Here's what I want, which can all be provided cheaply with aftermarket HU:

1) good nav (because (2) below and also I prefer Google Maps
2) touch screen (because entering addresses with iDrive is useless to me)
3) Pandora / Internet Radio
4) USB (perhaps the most important)
5) Web connectivity / email / text etc

So it seems the only real option here is to tear out L7 and CCC and figure out:
1) Parking PDC (very important)
2) Amp -> 9 speakers (this may be the biggest hurdle)
3) Warning tones (I think if I get PDC figured out, this may follow?)


And therefore the options are:
1) relocate CCC to trunk
- I thankfully have wiring & free fibre there
- seems I'd have to have the CCC reprogrammed to output analog, presuming I toss L7
- requires new amp no matter which option I choose because L7 amp takes nothing after-market (except one HU I'm not interested in)
- not sure if iDrive controller works all the way to the trunk / how connected. If it doesn't, then relocation of CCC is not an option.
- other than PDC which needs stereo to be practical, nothing prevents me from having CCC reprogrammed to analog & connect it un-amplified to 2 after-market simple stereo speakers for the sole purpose of PDC & chimes , so:
- can PDC output be located / redirected to 2 aftermarket speakers?

2) say goodbye to CCC altogether
- can PDC & warnings be directed as mentioned above, to separate simple stereo speakers, without CCC?
- Figure out what to do with the dash display - aka either let it sit dark or buy after-market screen with (HDMI) input from new HU
- requires reprogram (I've done this myself with a laptop in the past, not too difficult)

3) drive the car and act like I like the 2007 technology





Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
You don't need the service info. It's all on the cluster. I don't miss a single thing. Remember, the cars without iDrive have to give the same service info.

Last edited by heinrich; 04-30-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #17
mathematics
Captain
mathematics's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

I did not have logic 7 nor PDC.

I'm not sure about retaining PDC without the head unit in place.

iDrive controller should still work because it's really just power, ground, and can hi/lo.

I have nothing where factory screen was right now because I'm still trying to figure out if I am going to just add a screen and mirror my phone to it and have backup camera or add a small android tablet there for other functions among rear camera. when I had my kenwood double din. I had an aftermarket screen up top that received video out from the head unit. that allowed me to output either navi or movies to the top screen while maintaining radio and control functionality on the bottom screen.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #18
heinrich
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2007 E93
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Did you have to loop the MOST and use / enable another fiber line in the trunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
I did not have logic 7 nor PDC.

I'm not sure about retaining PDC without the head unit in place.

iDrive controller should still work because it's really just power, ground, and can hi/lo.

I have nothing where factory screen was right now because I'm still trying to figure out if I am going to just add a screen and mirror my phone to it and have backup camera or add a small android tablet there for other functions among rear camera. when I had my kenwood double din. I had an aftermarket screen up top that received video out from the head unit. that allowed me to output either navi or movies to the top screen while maintaining radio and control functionality on the bottom screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #19
mathematics
Captain
mathematics's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrich
Did you have to loop the MOST and use / enable another fiber line in the trunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
I did not have logic 7 nor PDC.

I'm not sure about retaining PDC without the head unit in place.

iDrive controller should still work because it's really just power, ground, and can hi/lo.

I have nothing where factory screen was right now because I'm still trying to figure out if I am going to just add a screen and mirror my phone to it and have backup camera or add a small android tablet there for other functions among rear camera. when I had my kenwood double din. I had an aftermarket screen up top that received video out from the head unit. that allowed me to output either navi or movies to the top screen while maintaining radio and control functionality on the bottom screen.
No. Why would I? I didn't keep anything that was OEM.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aftermarket cd player, idrive

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST