E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine coil failure & cylinder misfire

01-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
aesfah
Max Powers

Drives: E90 330i

Engine coil failure & cylinder misfire

My wife called and said the car was shaking really bad at stops and low-speeds and the CEL was on. Dealer diagnosed problem as bad engine coil #3, leading cylinder #6 to misfire. They replaced the coil and everything's fine now. Just wondering,
1) what could've caused this;
2) is this any indication of future coil problems; and
3) should I have insisted the dealer replace the spark plugs?

On a side note, both this and a vanos cover/gasket leak was covered by my CPO warranty.
      01-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
aesfah
Max Powers

Drives: E90 330i

bump...anyone?
      01-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits

Drives: E92 335i

Had this problem on my old Maxima. This was a very common issue. No indication it will go and sometimes it just resets itself. What is described is exactly what happened on my car. 3 got replaced under warrany and then I ended up fixin 2 others as needed. In my old car, they were bad units out of the factory. Think HPFP but with coil packs on the 99 Maxima's. As of the spark plugs, mine all got changed when they replaced the first 3, and then I did it again when I changed the 2nd one, but alas, they needed replaced anyway.

Id chalk it up to a bad unit and you got it. Just keep an eye on it.
Dackz is offline   United_States
      01-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesfah View Post
... Dealer diagnosed problem as bad engine coil #3, leading cylinder #6 to misfire. They replaced the coil and everything's fine now. Just wondering,
1) what could've caused this;
2) is this any indication of future coil problems; and
3) should I have insisted the dealer replace the spark plugs?
1) It just happens. The "coil" produces a fairly high voltage for its size - it may fail, but it does not fail very often. From the point of view of ignition voltage delivery, the new system is better than the old one that used a distributor.
2) No.
3) No.
      01-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Rando
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Yup, don't worry. Had this problem with my 03 330i, they replaced (multiple) coils, and all was fine.
      01-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

I should have added in my answer above that you should not worry. IMO, what you had was an isolated bad luck event, and your ignition will be OK now.
      01-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
BKV122
Major

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Just had this on my '06 330 had a misfire in #5 and replaced the coil. Kinda think of it as a light bulb, it has the chance to eventually blow.

Damn it was covered under CPO, figured it wouldn't, i did it myself could of saved $80

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States
      02-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
bim
Registered

Drives: 2006 bmw 330i white

i started having this problem abou two weeks ago...ive just been driving really easy as not to harrase my 2006 330i..out of warranty but i forgot i purchased an extended warranty and now its covered. cars in shop now replacing ignition coils 3 and 5 .i hope this doesnt happen again...thanks for information..really love this forum...solid infromation available here
bim is offline   United_States
      02-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim View Post
i started having this problem abou two weeks ago...ive just been driving really easy as not to harrase my 2006 330i..out of warranty but i forgot i purchased an extended warranty and now its covered. cars in shop now replacing ignition coils 3 and 5 .i hope this doesnt happen again...thanks for information..really love this forum...solid infromation available here
Usually it is just one coil that fails, but with BMW diagnostics and warranty you have, I would take both coils if they are offered. You usually find that the cars with the problems caused by high voltage breakdowns are most objectionable at idle, because the spark is hottest at low engine speeds and the irregularities is most noticeable. Good luck with your 330i - it has a really sweet engine.
      02-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
HRC
MAUI BUILT

Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
...Good luck with your 330i - it has a really sweet engine.
+1

It's special indeed.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
HRC is offline   United_States
      02-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Nightfly
Private

Drives: 09' E93

For what its worth:

Last summer I was going through Kentucky near Lexington at a pretty good pace when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, followed by limp mode. Managed to get into Knoxville and took it to the dealer.

Misfire codes were thrown on a couple of the cylinders. SA initially thought HPFP, but they rattled around the coil assemblies, swapped units between cylinders, cussed and spit a little bit, and sent me on my way. I've not had any issues since. Happened with 1600 mi. on the clock.

As I understand it, if the coil unit works or gets loose or isn't seated tight, it's enough to make things go gunny sack quickly. SA seemed to indicate, while not common, it's not unheard of either and didn't portend future problems. If it didn't need plugs prior to problem, it didn't need plugs post-problem.
Nightfly is offline   United_States
      02-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post
For what its worth:

Last summer I was going through Kentucky near Lexington at a pretty good pace when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, followed by limp mode. Managed to get into Knoxville and took it to the dealer.

Misfire codes were thrown on a couple of the cylinders. SA initially thought HPFP, but they rattled around the coil assemblies, swapped units between cylinders, cussed and spit a little bit, and sent me on my way. I've not had any issues since. Happened with 1600 mi. on the clock.

As I understand it, if the coil unit works or gets loose or isn't seated tight, it's enough to make things go gunny sack quickly. SA seemed to indicate, while not common, it's not unheard of either and didn't portend future problems. If it didn't need plugs prior to problem, it didn't need plugs post-problem.
Good point - all the coils have to be seated the same way and the fit is quite tight. Most of these problems tend to happen on low mileage cars. I am not sure if BMW recommends to apply dielectric fluid or grease when seating the coils, but most high voltage connectors use one or the other. In any case, once the problem is solved, it rarely returns during the lifetime of the spark plugs. With the car diagnostics, it is not a guessing game - it can be tracked using a scanner and fixed.
      02-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
Moz_e90
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 325 e90 Sparkling Graphite

You guys are LUCKY it was under warranty. My warranty expired only in November.

Had all the same symptoms described above just yesterday. Shaking, Service Engine Soon... Only 28k miles on my mildly driven 2006.

Bad ignition coil. Dealer in SF hit me for $650 (about $520 in labor). Had I opted out of the repair, I would've owed about $300+ in diagnostics, plus I don't have a 2nd car, so I just needed it back. Shouldn't they buy you a drink before they "F" you like that?!?

Good to hear the problem is not historically a recurring one.
      02-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
elcheapoloco
douchebaggo

Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz_e90 View Post
Shouldn't they buy you a drink before they "F" you like that?!?
Only if you're hot.
      01-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
AlB
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 330i MT gry/blk

change your plugs, ignore BMW service recommendation

as the plugs age gap gets bigger, requires more voltage resulting in coil
failure
      01-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
AlB
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 330i MT gry/blk

Change to Peter Pan

Quote:

Had all the same symptoms described above just yesterday. Shaking, Service Engine Soon... Only 28k miles on my mildly driven 2006.

Bad ignition coil. Dealer in SF hit me for $650 (about $520 in labor). Had I opted out of the repair, I would've owed about $300+ in diagnostics, plus I don't have a 2nd car, so I just needed it back. Shouldn't they buy you a drink before they "F" you like that?!?

Payed 125 for a new coil at Peterpan today...ask for Jeff Johnston BMW SF SUCKS
      01-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
koreez88
Всем привет ;)

Drives: 2011 SG e90 335d

Send a message via Skype™ to koreez88
I had my car diagnosed and 2 coils replaced before on my old 325i, for a bit over $300 including labor.

People in SF, in you need car maintenance for cheap let me know, I know a great place to go.
koreez88 is offline   Russian Federation
      01-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Quote:

See my sig., you need to invest in one of those tools.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      01-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
JIM E92
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

Sounds like it may be smart to keep a spare coil pack in the trunk. Maybe someone could start a Group Buy from one of our vendors?
      01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
youngnastyman
Major

Drives: E92 M3

good to see this was covered under CPO. My car has a Misfire on Cylinder 3 and its shaking like im driving down a bumpy ass road.. Called the dealer and I'm taking it in tomorrow ( after i remove my mods of course )
youngnastyman is online now   United_States
      01-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
MacR6
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

I had this same problem. They changed out the coil and the plug. Very next day it was having the same symptoms. Found out it was the fuel injectors and my car was not on the tsb for injectors. Six new plugs and injectors later she's finally running.
MacR6 is offline   United_States
      01-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
Me_Hi
Major

Drives: *

I have the same thing now...the car shakes like crazy.
I'm starting to see a trend in this 3 series.
N54 has its issues anytime that we all know but the N52 starts having issues also after 100,000 Km.
I mean from all the posts, it's a combination of valve cover leaks due to broken bolts. ignition coil, injectors, transmission oil leaks, ....