Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Falken Ziex 512 Tires Review

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
bavarian19
General
United_States

Drives: Car

Falken Ziex 512 Tires Review

I finally had enough of the noisy and bumpy RF tires on my 162's. I also needed a good all season tire that would still perform well in all driving conditions...

So I ended up purchasing the Falken Ziex 512's in the 225/40 and 255/35 sizes (same as OEM). They have a similar rim protection as the Bridgestone RF's which was a key addition in comparison to the old Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S tires I had.

Driving impressions so far:

- The Falkens are MUCH more quiet than the Bridgestone RF's. I felt as if the Bridgestones were roaring at just about any speed (tires had about 15k spirited miles on them).

- The Falkens provide a much less jarring ride than the nazi sidewalled RF's... I have not pushed the car, but they seem to be pretty grippy so far...

- The car itself already feels much more responsive. I dont know weights, but I can certainly tell you that the Falkens weigh much less than the RF's.

- PRICE!!! I shopped around for the best price on these. I got quoted for mounting and balancing of these tires at $750 for the set by a local shop. I ended up ordering them online at the cheapest place possible (Discounttirezone.com). I paid $480 shipped for the tires... And without getting into it, I ended up getting them mounted and balanced for free. I would have ordered them through Tire Rack, but they do not carry Falken Tires...

After a few miles, I will see if I can report back with driving characteristics. If they can perform well in dry/wet/snowy conditions, these might be the best alternative to the bridgestones yet!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Cloud9
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Fast!

Thanks for the review. I'm at the point where my RF are get noisy and was looking at the Falkens as replacement.

My Exs: '03 540, '01 330ci and '00 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
kuthair
Captain

Drives: 07 335i Sedan 6MT

thanks for the review.... what are you doing about a spare?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuthair
thanks for the review.... what are you doing about a spare?

I already have the fix a flat for the around town nail punctures. I actually have an extra 162 front wheel that I had my old RF tire mounted on. So for long trips, I will just suck it up and carry the spare wheel and jack with me.

I can not begin to say how great these tires have been so far!!! Much better than the Bridgestone's... I would suggest to anyone considering going with a non-RF all season to get these tires...

I still want to test them in the snow... The Pirelli AS tires I had on before were pretty good last season...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
bavarian19
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9
Thanks for the review. I'm at the point where my RF are get noisy and was looking at the Falkens as replacement.

I have been pleasantly surprised so far. I need to put some miles on them so I can really test them out grip wise. They seem good so far...

As I said, the noise level is GREATLY reduced, responsiveness is much better... As of now, I would say go for it!!!
Appreciate 0