E90Post
 


Bimmertech
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission fluid choices for AT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #133
samchoi604
Colonel
 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

Posts: 2,316
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Yes, please. I am curious about that TYK* part number too.
It seems that TYK500050 might be fluid for 1 quart. LRN13754 is for 1 liter. This is the response I get for requesting quote for TYK500050.

"part number given incorrect..... if you require trans fluid #LRN13754 $16.66"

I'm not 100% sure though, any of you guys want to verify with your local LR dealers as well?
samchoi604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #134
997turbo
Private
 
997turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: civic
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ca

Posts: 55
iTrader: (4)

has used the landrover transmission fluid ?

Last edited by 997turbo; 08-19-2010 at 03:54 PM.
997turbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #135
samchoi604
Colonel
 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

Posts: 2,316
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997turbo View Post
has used the landrover transmission fluid ?
Nope. I've been working at home since May and I've barely put any miles on the car. Car is still at 42k miles only. I would like to wait longer, and also would like to hear more feedback regarding the topic first.

Anyone else have any update to this topic of which ATF to use?
samchoi604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #136
Chriztofor
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (1)

I used Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. No problems and within spec (see attached sheet)

If anyone is interested here is my DIY http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367729
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Castrol Import Multi-vehicle specs.pdf (191.8 KB, 161 views)
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #137
samchoi604
Colonel
 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

Posts: 2,316
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I used Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. No problems and within spec (see attached sheet)

If anyone is interested here is my DIY http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367729
Thanks for the info Chris. Please keep us posted (in this thread or in your other thread) how things go with the castrol ATF.
samchoi604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #138
scorpion1
scorpion1
 
Drives: non-owner (dealer employee)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: florida

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

6HP OIL

I am really surprised at the responses some of you got from dealers.
83.22.0.406.929 is simply a number to sell a 1/2 litre from 20L drum of the 516 fluid.
I had to find an alternative when 516 was backordered and I used Jag equivalent, but it was Retail $48 per litre, I had to pay $41.

I sell Retail customers 516, if they bring me a container, for $15.87 per 1/2.
We all wish BMW would sell tranny fluid in litres, it would make our lives easier.

After reading all kind of forums, etc., I wouldn't use anything but 516, but I can't afford to be wrong. Some of my wholesale customers have a line on ZF Lifeguard.
scorpion1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #139
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,202
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I used Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. No problems and within spec (see attached sheet)

If anyone is interested here is my DIY http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367729
Let us know how it works out and your drain interval. Personally I've never been a fan of multi-vehicle ATF so I'm interested in this experiment.
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #140
jaybird124
Captain
 
jaybird124's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 335d Sport
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida

Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

Chriztofor how many miles do you have on your car since the fluid change?

BTW, I haven't seen this link posted: http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=c...parent=61&pg=1

Another obvious dilemma of changing the tranny fluid on a 2yr/30k schedule is it becomes cost prohibitive. You'll get to the point that it would be the same or cheaper to just buy a new transmission.

Hopefully, this thread will keep going and we can get to the bottom of this!
__________________
'09 335d Alpine White/Beige Dakota, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, iDrive, PDC, CA, iPod, Premium Sound

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport
jaybird124 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #141
Chriztofor
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
Thanks for the info Chris. Please keep us posted (in this thread or in your other thread) how things go with the castrol ATF.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Let us know how it works out and your drain interval. Personally I've never been a fan of multi-vehicle ATF so I'm interested in this experiment.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
Chriztofor how many miles do you have on your car since the fluid change?

BTW, I haven't seen this link posted: http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=c...parent=61&pg=1

Another obvious dilemma of changing the tranny fluid on a 2yr/30k schedule is it becomes cost prohibitive. You'll get to the point that it would be the same or cheaper to just buy a new transmission.

Hopefully, this thread will keep going and we can get to the bottom of this!
1) Good link. The filter alone would be worth it. However not sure about lifeguard fluid. What I have read on this forum is that Castrol has better stability than lifeguard 6. Sidenote: People in that same thread stated that Mercon SP isn't ideal for anything other than minimal commuting. Also, "Castrol has KV 100C of 8! Not bad for mineral oil based stuff! Won't hurt our trans, and its bound to have better thermal stability that LG6." http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363648
So, as far as mineral oil is concerned Castrol looks like the favorite.

2) Changed it 2x in 12,000 miles because I didn't flush it. Car has 61,xxx miles. Plan on changing it every 20,000 miles. Not so cost prohibitive if you DIY. Castrol Import Multi-vehicle is only $5 a quart. I will change the filter every 80,000 miles. Knock on wood.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #142
jaybird124
Captain
 
jaybird124's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 335d Sport
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida

Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Will do.



Will do.



1) Good link. The filter alone would be worth it. However not sure about lifeguard fluid. What I have read on this forum is that Castrol has better stability than lifeguard 6. Sidenote: People in that same thread stated that Mercon SP isn't ideal for anything other than minimal commuting. Also, "Castrol has KV 100C of 8! Not bad for mineral oil based stuff! Won't hurt our trans, and its bound to have better thermal stability that LG6." http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363648
So, as far as mineral oil is concerned Castrol looks like the favorite.

2) Changed it 2x in 12,000 miles because I didn't flush it. Car has 61,xxx miles. Plan on changing it every 20,000 miles. Not so cost prohibitive if you DIY. Castrol Import Multi-vehicle is only $5 a quart. I will change the filter every 80,000 miles. Knock on wood.
Yeah this whole thing is discouraging and giving me a headache. It looks like they concluded Castrol Transmax Z ATF was the way to go, although that's not available in the US.
I'm too early in my warranty to risk going rogue on the ATF. Can't afford $6k for a new tranny.
I do wish we had more people trying this out so we could get some clear answers. Thanks for doing your part to pave the way.
__________________
'09 335d Alpine White/Beige Dakota, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, iDrive, PDC, CA, iPod, Premium Sound

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport
jaybird124 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #143
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
I am really surprised at the responses some of you got from dealers.
83.22.0.406.929 is simply a number to sell a 1/2 litre from 20L drum of the 516 fluid.
I had to find an alternative when 516 was backordered and I used Jag equivalent, but it was Retail $48 per litre, I had to pay $41.

I sell Retail customers 516, if they bring me a container, for $15.87 per 1/2.
We all wish BMW would sell tranny fluid in litres, it would make our lives easier.

After reading all kind of forums, etc., I wouldn't use anything but 516, but I can't afford to be wrong. Some of my wholesale customers have a line on ZF Lifeguard.
You are aware though, that we found out that ZF lifeguard 6 is nothing more than re-labelled motorcraft mercon SP, which retails here in the us for $4:00/quart? With that kind of insane rip-off, you wonder why they call you guys the stealership?

Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 02-17-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #144
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
Yeah this whole thing is discouraging and giving me a headache. It looks like they concluded Castrol Transmax Z ATF was the way to go, although that's not available in the US.
I'm too early in my warranty to risk going rogue on the ATF. Can't afford $6k for a new tranny.
I do wish we had more people trying this out so we could get some clear answers. Thanks for doing your part to pave the way.
I answered your question in the previous thread. You can chose to do nothing during the warranty, but once its done, you had better change that fluid if you want your transmission to last.

Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 02-16-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #145
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
1) Good link. The filter alone would be worth it. However not sure about lifeguard fluid. What I have read on this forum is that Castrol has better stability than lifeguard 6. Sidenote: People in that same thread stated that Mercon SP isn't ideal for anything other than minimal commuting. Also, "Castrol has KV 100C of 8! Not bad for mineral oil based stuff! Won't hurt our trans, and its bound to have better thermal stability that LG6." http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363648
So, as far as mineral oil is concerned Castrol looks like the favorite.
First of all chris, I applaud you for being one of the early pioneers on this site regarding trans fluid. You were one of the brave guys who changed it, I think right after I did, and posted about it. I am with you on somethings, mainly that castrol multivehicle isn't bad, but I'm not sure how much better it is than mercon SP, on the 335I. Please note that you have a 325I, and your transmission is different. It isn't seeing the kind of torque output that ours is. So yes you could put either Mercon or castrol in a 335I, but neither should be along term deal, or used for any type of racing. Stuff for extended drain intervals must have a synthetic base stock, like castrol transmax z, pentosin ATF 1, or royal purple ATF. Lastly Castrol multivehicle import ATF is no longer listed on ZF TE ML 11 A or B, so it really shouldn't be put in a 335I transmission long term.
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #146
Chriztofor
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (1)

^ No problem being the guinea pig for 325i owners. Now who will be the guinea pig for 335i owners?

Edit: As for the Castrol import multi-vehicle oil. I have no intentions on leaving it in there passed 20,000 - 25,000 miles. I don't use the syntheitc stuff because I don't flush and feel like I am wasting the fluid. When I change my oil I change it once then again several thousands miles later then next change at 20,000 - 25,000 miles, and then repeat.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 02-17-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #147
E90dima
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orlando, Florida

Posts: 258
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Hey guys ive been driving in Castrol Multi-import auto oil for over 30k miles. Its perfect. No problems whatsoever. Safe for 2007 328i!
E90dima is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #148
Chriztofor
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90dima View Post
Hey guys ive been driving in Castrol Multi-import auto oil for over 30k miles. Its perfect. No problems whatsoever. Safe for 2007 328i!
Excellent, by the way at 30k you need to change it again.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #149
HPIA4v2
Captain
 
Drives: E60, E71, E92
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington

Posts: 671
iTrader: (3)

As far as the ATF for ZF trans goes, use the recommended by ZF period.

I did a flush on my X5 3 years ago using Esso LT71141, no problem whatsoever; meanwhile others who use RL/RP/exotic brand have problems with whinning during acceleration, hard shift when hot etc.

http://www.peterschmidtransmission.c..._oil_guide.asp


Not only ZF the mfg knows what best for their trans, you can't flush all of the ATF fluid, cause more than half stuck inside the TC so you are mixing different kind of fluids and may clog the valve-body if they coagulate as chemical reaction. I heard so many stories how people kill their trans after a flush.


As far as fluids go, dealer will sell in "unit", for Esso LT71141 it was a 1-litter/unit and for LG6 it's .5l/unit. And customer must bring their own containers cause dealer gets them in 5-gallon drums, unless you want to buy the whole drum worth of fluid.
This is what both Seattle/Bellevue part dept guys told me and what my SA told me when fixing the mechatronic sleeve on my 6HP19Z 535i trans. Cause I was thinking to pay out of pocket for filter/flush but my SA told me my car needed 11 unit of ATF (5.5L) and it'll cost me close to $88 per unit (which I think he got it mixed up), part guy told me one unit is $44 and it's about half a litter. So I just let my SA fixed the mechatronic w/o flush under waranty, yes they filled back the old fluid into trans for that repair.
HPIA4v2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #150
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

my 335i is at 65k and I too just paid 700 for a mechatronic seal repair with two units of new fluid. After reading all of this tranny fluid business i am considering changing the fluid with fresh, I have no idea nor really think it was ever changed before.
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #151
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
As far as the ATF for ZF trans goes, use the recommended by ZF period.
been using Pentosin ATF 1 since 40K, now I'm at nearly 100K, no problems, so what are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
I did a flush on my X5 3 years ago using Esso LT71141, no problem whatsoever; meanwhile others who use RL/RP/exotic brand have problems with whinning during acceleration, hard shift when hot etc.

http://www.peterschmidtransmission.c..._oil_guide.asp
This is the 3 series forum, sir, not X3. Different types of cars buddy.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Not only ZF the mfg knows what best for their trans, you can't flush all of the ATF fluid, cause more than half stuck inside the TC so you are mixing different kind of fluids and may clog the valve-body if they coagulate as chemical reaction. I heard so many stories how people kill their trans after a flush.
We've corresponded with zf, on here, and those jokers think the fluid is lifetime too. You can take out 7 liters by sucking it all out with the proper equipment like I did, or since its a 10.5L capacity, you can drain and fill 5 liters and drive, then drain and fill.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
As far as fluids go, dealer will sell in "unit", for Esso LT71141 it was a 1-litter/unit and for LG6 it's .5l/unit. And customer must bring their own containers cause dealer gets them in 5-gallon drums, unless you want to buy the whole drum worth of fluid.
This is what both Seattle/Bellevue part dept guys told me and what my SA told me when fixing the mechatronic sleeve on my 6HP19Z 535i trans. Cause I was thinking to pay out of pocket for filter/flush but my SA told me my car needed 11 unit of ATF (5.5L) and it'll cost me close to $88 per unit (which I think he got it mixed up), part guy told me one unit is $44 and it's about half a litter. So I just let my SA fixed the mechatronic w/o flush under waranty, yes they filled back the old fluid into trans for that repair.
6HP19 takes lifeguard 6 trans fluid, rebottled by ZF. It is actually well known now to be motorcraft mercon sp, which retails for $3:99/quart.
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #152
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,202
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
been using Pentosin ATF 1 since 40K, now I'm at nearly 100K, no problems, so what are you talking about?

.
Just an FYI..100k miles you're now in the "lets see how this turns out" phase of transmission life. Good luck!
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #153
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Just an FYI..100k miles you're now in the "lets see how this turns out" phase of transmission life. Good luck!
Sorry, Socom, I didn't mention 40-100K miles on pentosin, with quite a few track events as well. Just did a full flush last weekend with the fluid, and I'm doing 3 track events this year, so its a 100K+ trans that was not babied. Since pentosin is Voith approved for extended drain intervals in daily used european buses, I'm confident I can hit 200K, no problems.
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #154
jaybird124
Captain
 
jaybird124's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 335d Sport
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida

Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Sorry, Socom, I didn't mention 40-100K miles on pentosin, with quite a few track events as well. Just did a full flush last weekend with the fluid, and I'm doing 3 track events this year, so its a 100K+ trans that was not babied. Since pentosin is Voith approved for extended drain intervals in daily used european buses, I'm confident I can hit 200K, no problems.
Whats been the specific drain method you've used? How many quarts are you using? How often are you changing out the filter? What would you say your total cost is per change?
__________________
'09 335d Alpine White/Beige Dakota, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, iDrive, PDC, CA, iPod, Premium Sound

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport
jaybird124 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST