E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Brake Cooling Ducts for E90 DIY



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
BrianMN
Colonel
 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 2,429
iTrader: (7)

Brake Cooling Ducts for E90 DIY

Hey all, so yesterday I tackled the task of making brake ducts for my E90 335i. I must say, this project was more intense than I wished it was...I had to completely cut apart the plastic part that goes in front of the radiator and intercooler, and cut out the radiator/intercooler support brackets. I've rigged up a new bracket and hanger system to hold the radiator/intercooler in place, but it is only temporary until I can make a billet aluminum bracket in my college's machine shop. It can be said that once this is done, there is no easy way to revert to stock.

I will post pictures within the next few days with the billet mounting bracket for the radiator/intercooler and also the custom dust guards where the hoses will mate to. Also, I will be making a sheet out of ABS plastic to clean up the front of the bumper where the scoops reside.

The parts I used were sourced from hrpworld.com

I bought 11 feet of 3" aeroduct hose, and 2 small "headlight scoops"

Most of the things that must be cut are identical on both sides. The drivers side has more room to play with, as it doesn't have the oil cooler to deal with

So, on with the pictures. .

1) Stock
2) Where cuts need to be made, and where you must bend up the stock radiator support.
3) The piece of the wheelwell liner that must be cut out.
4 and 5) Where the hose will be routed.
6 and 7) The bracket to be screwed into the stock rubber radiator support. This is then hung via 'hanger tape' and bolted to the frame/bumper. I also have a hanger that is held by the intercooler mounting bolt. These will be replaced with the billet bracket I'm making.
8 and 9)The mock-up of the hose routing.
10) The front view of the completed duct. I will be making an ABS piece to clean up the front of the surrounding area.
Attached Images
          
BrianMN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
chaz58
Captain
 
chaz58's Avatar
 
Drives: 328iT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit Burbs

Posts: 701
iTrader: (0)

Very interesting, thanks. I noticed that BMW Performance @ tischler had something like this for the LCI cars. Wonder what was going on there that they didn't have it for the earlier cars - it wasn't too expensive either.

Does it attach to the wheel, or just hang there?

Koni yellows??? :-)
__________________
_________________________________________________

chaz58 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
boilerdan33
Adrenaline Junkie Extrordinaire
 
boilerdan33's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 335i Steptronic ZSP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 78
iTrader: (2)

Talked to two different service writers today and they both told me the same thing, that the LCI cars, as long as you use the M-tech or BMW Performance bumpers, there is a BMW performance aerodynamic kit you can buy to get air into the brakes. AND you can buy it seperately from the the whole Performance Aerodynamic kit.
My neice crashed my car, and it need a new hood, grill, bumper and headlights. I'm gonna upgrade to LCI, one of those bumpers, and get some nice cool air to my front brakes.

D
__________________
Auto Parts:
1. Light 2. Strong 3. Cheap -Pick Two
Women:
1. Hot 2.Sane 3.Single -Pick Two
boilerdan33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Eddy@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
Drives: E30 M3, 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 1,603
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerdan33 View Post
Talked to two different service writers today and they both told me the same thing, that the LCI cars, as long as you use the M-tech or BMW Performance bumpers, there is a BMW performance aerodynamic kit you can buy to get air into the brakes. AND you can buy it seperately from the the whole Performance Aerodynamic kit.
My neice crashed my car, and it need a new hood, grill, bumper and headlights. I'm gonna upgrade to LCI, one of those bumpers, and get some nice cool air to my front brakes.

D
All the factory "ducts" just blow air into the wheel well in front of the tire, they don't direct it to the veins of the brake rotor itself.
Eddy@ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
All the factory "ducts" just blow air into the wheel well in front of the tire, they don't direct it to the veins of the brake rotor itself.
They work alright on the rotors if you get rid of the brake dust shields.

Nothing like direct hose cooling, but they make a lil difference.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
yakev724
Brigadier General
 
yakev724's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 3,559
iTrader: (49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerdan33 View Post
Auto Parts:
1. Light 2. Strong 3. Cheap -Pick Two
Women:
1. Hot 2.Sane 3.Single -Pick Two
yakev724 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      04-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
dr.b.
New Member
 
dr.b.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 Sedan 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miramar

Posts: 24
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Can you post a pic showing how you terminate and distribute the air from the duct close to the rotor?
__________________
2008 E90 Sedan 335i, JB4, Quaife LSD, BMS Intake, Forge Diverter Valves, ER Charge Pipe
Forge Intercooler, Macht Schnell Downpipes, Bilstein Suspension, RB Turbos, BMS Meth Kit
M3 Hood, Bumper, Sideskirts, Custom 500hp Oil Cooler
18x8.5 & 18x9.5 wheels with 245/35R18 R6 & 275/35R18 Continental Cup Tires, 19x9 & 19x10 Forgestar F05 Wheels with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 245/35R19 & 275/30R19
dr.b. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
neilvosko
Major
 
neilvosko's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i e92 FBO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: miami

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN
Hey all, so yesterday I tackled the task of making brake ducts for my E90 335i. I must say, this project was more intense than I wished it was...I had to completely cut apart the plastic part that goes in front of the radiator and intercooler, and cut out the radiator/intercooler support brackets. I've rigged up a new bracket and hanger system to hold the radiator/intercooler in place, but it is only temporary until I can make a billet aluminum bracket in my college's machine shop. It can be said that once this is done, there is no easy way to revert to stock.

I will post pictures within the next few days with the billet mounting bracket for the radiator/intercooler and also the custom dust guards where the hoses will mate to. Also, I will be making a sheet out of ABS plastic to clean up the front of the bumper where the scoops reside.

The parts I used were sourced from hrpworld.com

I bought 11 feet of 3" aeroduct hose, and 2 small "headlight scoops"

Most of the things that must be cut are identical on both sides. The drivers side has more room to play with, as it doesn't have the oil cooler to deal with

So, on with the pictures. .

1) Stock
2) Where cuts need to be made, and where you must bend up the stock radiator support.
3) The piece of the wheelwell liner that must be cut out.
4 and 5) Where the hose will be routed.
6 and 7) The bracket to be screwed into the stock rubber radiator support. This is then hung via 'hanger tape' and bolted to the frame/bumper. I also have a hanger that is held by the intercooler mounting bolt. These will be replaced with the billet bracket I'm making.
8 and 9)The mock-up of the hose routing.
10) The front view of the completed duct. I will be making an ABS piece to clean up the front of the surrounding area.
That's pretty cool, I did the same thing but modified the brake shields for the 3 inch hose and welded aircraft duct coupling. You can search for my link "brake ducts"
neilvosko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST