E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Drop in air filter help

02-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #23
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
How does that work Matt?

I thought stage 3 inherently included downpipe /exhaust / FMIC etc etc.???

Stage 1 is stock hardware and so on?
I meant because Stage 1 is 500 for a map on its own and gets 390 bhp whereas Stage 3 is 3000 altogether for about 450 bhp...

Hence I will skip straight to Stage 3 because if I dont.. then I will stick with Stage 1...

Does that make sense?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I meant because Stage 1 is 500 for a map on its own and gets 390 bhp whereas Stage 3 is 3000 altogether for about 450 bhp...

Hence I will skip straight to Stage 3 because if I dont.. then I will stick with Stage 1...

Does that make sense?

Matt
Ah - I misread what you were saying - I thougt you were saying they did a stage 3 for 500!!!!

Evolve'site says +100bhp for stage 3, i.e. 406.... or are they just being conservative??

Is 390 realistic for stage 1 when other tuners need hardware mods to get over 380?

Even DMS is only about 375 for stage 1 I believe?

But I supposed a lot of it is down to difference is calculated flywheel power, if we dealt in wheel-power it would be a bit more accurate...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
nmack8
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 4 Wheels & 4 Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
We have tested all types of intakes on the 335i. Gruppe M, Simota, AFE Dual cone with heatshield - and none of them have made any power - althought throttle response is improved. a BMC panel will will do much the same for a lot less money.
I fitted this - http://www.burgertuning.com/dcintake.html before I Installed the JB3, best bang per buck i've ever spent! Ok it increases the intake noise slightly but not by much.

Intersesting Dyno chart - albeit at 13.5psi .... on a std car it may not make more power but i reckon it makes it much much quicker, the car feels so much more alive!

If you have a real close look at the standard airbox you'll wonder how on earth it lets any air through - sooooo restrictive!

There is also a link to 'Hot Intake Air Myth Testing' which makes an interesting read...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #26
DrunkenMonkey
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Drives: e90 335ise

Quote:
We have tested all types of intakes on the 335i. Gruppe M, Simota, AFE Dual cone with heatshield - and none of them have made any power - althought throttle response is improved. a BMC panel will will do much the same for a lot less money.
Improved throttle response is what I'm after from the filter (sorry should have been clear about that), for 50 squid it's worth the gamble.

LSD - Am currently making enquiries. From the reviews Ive read on this site its the best way to use the gains from any power enhancments.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #27
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah - I misread what you were saying - I thougt you were saying they did a stage 3 for 500!!!!

Evolve'site says +100bhp for stage 3, i.e. 406.... or are they just being conservative??

Is 390 realistic for stage 1 when other tuners need hardware mods to get over 380?

Even DMS is only about 375 for stage 1 I believe?

But I supposed a lot of it is down to difference is calculated flywheel power, if we dealt in wheel-power it would be a bit more accurate...
Good to talk this through I must say.

From what I can tell - the Evolve map is like most others in that it lands around 380+ although from what I can also tell, Evolve aim quite high without being irresponsible and that is why I like them.

The Stage 3 was RR'ed on their Dyno at something like 430 recently, I believe... there was a thread on the Technical section and if I had a mastery of two tabs at once, I would find it for you!!!!

I am hoping to add an exhaust and oil cooler to the Stage 3 (I guess making it a Stage 4) and along with the Quaiffe Diff, I am hoping I can spend the whole day with Imran or as much as he will allow working towards a very safe and driveable figure...

I may, perhaps overexaggerate the Stage 3/4 figure to justify in my own mind the cost I will incur to move from Stage 1 to 4 because the 3000 for Stage 3 doesn't include the exhaust which will inevitably sting me for another 1000 on top.

So don't take my figures as red mate, wait and see what the Dyno says but I am definately hoping for a decent figure.

As I have discussed with Tony before, I may be a bit of a Dick, but I am primarily after a car which will perform consistently well. The 'Ring will test me to my limits and I certainly don't want to die, nor do I want to blow the wheels off hence why I want the uprated Oil Cooler.

The next big decision is do I go for an uprated cooler, or a second unit? The second unit is bloody 900 more fitted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #28
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonkey View Post
Improved throttle response is what I'm after from the filter (sorry should have been clear about that), for 50 squid it's worth the gamble.

LSD - Am currently making enquiries. From the reviews Ive read on this site its the best way to use the gains from any power enhancments.
IF you are genuinely interested mate, I am trying to get one for my 1 series before April from Birds.

I am sure that we may be able to use this as very mild leverage to perhaps get us another 1 or 2% off the usual forum price for going together... maybe... it will be worth asking

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #29
DrunkenMonkey
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
IF you are genuinely interested mate, I am trying to get one for my 1 series before April from Birds.

I am sure that we may be able to use this as very mild leverage to perhaps get us another 1 or 2% off the usual forum price for going together... maybe... it will be worth asking

Matt
Hey mate, genuinley interested in the LSD, but that will be much later in the year. At the moment Im looking at cooling options and just making the car run better. (thats where immediate funds will be going)

Had quite a few problems with limp modes due to engine over heating when I run the car hard. Had my actuator rods replaced recently under warranty with the newer 8mm ones. This seemed to have cured the problems, no limp modes since and the oil temp on my dash hasnt exceeded 110/120c since the repairs - and thats driving hard.

Have seriously been considering aftermarket intercoolers and oil coolers, as well as the BMW performance upgrade ( which seems to offer alot of engine enhancments, albeit less power than any other tune - which maybe perfect for me ). Ill be making enquiries and further researching over the weekend for this.

I must say though, the low air temperatures in London recently makes my car pull like a train at the mo
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #30
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hey mate, genuinley interested in the LSD, but that will be much later in the year. At the moment Im looking at cooling options and just making the car run better. (thats where immediate funds will be going)

Had quite a few problems with limp modes due to engine over heating when I run the car hard. Had my actuator rods replaced recently under warranty with the newer 8mm ones. This seemed to have cured the problems, no limp modes since and the oil temp on my dash hasnt exceeded 110/120c since the repairs - and thats driving hard.

Have seriously been considering aftermarket intercoolers and oil coolers, as well as the BMW performance upgrade ( which seems to offer alot of engine enhancments, albeit less power than any other tune - which maybe perfect for me ). Ill be making enquiries and further researching over the weekend for this.

I must say though, the low air temperatures in London recently makes my car pull like a train at the mo
Ok mate,

Well I will let you know how I get along at Evolve as I am basically doing all the mods you have quoted here with the exception on the cheapest (panel filter) which I may now chuck in too lol!!

Mine is a 135i, but no different really under the bonnet.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #31
DrunkenMonkey
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok mate,

Well I will let you know how I get along at Evolve as I am basically doing all the mods you have quoted here with the exception on the cheapest (panel filter) which I may now chuck in too lol!!

Mine is a 135i, but no different really under the bonnet.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #32
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Quote:
Yahoo do you mean BMC?
Yes - it has been a long week.

Discussions here are bang on imo. Cooling and air flow are essential to accompany any significant increase in boost pressure. The longevity of our stock turbos is questionable at boost pressures above 12 psi (the max they will run stock in high temp, high altitude conditions). An upgraded FMIC with reduced pressure drop and reduced AITs is definately a wise move.

I have got an AMS FMIC on order at the moment, and have modified my stock air box to increase airflow under high boost conditions. DPs would also help - but present larger warranty risks than upgraded intakes and intercoolers.

Once you are running at a comfortable 400bhp @ 13-14 psi, an LSD is important to ensure that the power if getting to the road.

The other thing to consider at this pressure is a decent oil catch can - blow by is a real problem on our cars, even at stock power levels.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #33
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The next big decision is do I go for an uprated cooler, or a second unit? The second unit is bloody 900 more fitted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
If I was after an oil cooler, I would be all over this group buy http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337083

A really high quality piece of kit
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #34
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
and have modified my stock air box to increase airflow under high boost conditions.
How have you done that?

Oil Catch Cans? I used to put a Carling can over the end of motorbike crankcase breather pipes, surely you can't mean a similar method? (carling or otherwise)...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How have you done that?
I have plumbed some silicone hose into the stock intake and run it through to a K&N filter in front of my near side wheel:

Quote:
Oil Catch Cans? I used to put a Carling can over the end of motorbike crankcase breather pipes, surely you can't mean a similar method? (carling or otherwise)...
Not quite a carling can - you can buy catch cans with piping that intercepts oil and moisture before it is recirculated into the engine. Oil is deposited into the can, moisture is recirculated. This prevents blow by oil from getting deposited within the intercooler and piping, making it less efficient. These are highly recommended in any high boost application - particularly on the N54.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #36
Ant Man
Major
England
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red

Quote:
What about E92 M3 Imran. Is the gruppeM any good for power / torque or just make a wonderful noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #37
Ant Man
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I have a K&N on my car. Cleaning it is not difficult or time consuming, just leave it overnight to properly dry.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #38
Ant Man
Major
England
Rep

Yahoo,
if you thought of that yourself, then I salute you

I pioneered the cold air feed from M3 to my 330
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #39
DrunkenMonkey
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Yahoo - thank you for all the info and quality pics man
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #40
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

No probs. The idea came from an approach that a vendor in the US has produced. It is a method that retains stock looks, benefits of the stock air box and provides adequate cool air for cars pushing more boost - it gives me peace of mind when raising boost pressures (particularly when we get some warmer weather . . . sometime).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #41
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ever heard of the old Dave.F kit on E36?

Think you could do that again for real monies??? I'm in. Some of us appreciate innovation but lack the skill or inclination to repeat it!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #42
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

If there is real interest, I will publish links to the various parts required and a DIY to build the kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #43
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
If there is real interest, I will publish links to the various parts required and a DIY to build the kit.
Do it mate.

I'm sure between me and friends I'd give it a go.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #44
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Hey all

Owned my car for almost 2 years now and am contemplating some simple modifications; 20,000miles at present Im looking at getting a BMC drop in air filter.

http://www.bmcairfiltersuk.com/main/...ent-p-210.html

Have read various articles on this forum e.g http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...bmc+air+filter

Just got a few questions for anyone with after market air filters ( Im a noob so be gentle ! )

- Will it make any difference on a stock car ? Surely it would reduce stress on the turbos if anything ?
If you mean a noticeable difference in power, then the answer is clearly no. There have been detailed analyses about drop-in filters and the max. power increase is 1-2hp which you will not feel. However, throttle response may increase slightly, as well as cooling due to the better airflow.

I have the BMC drop-in myself, as Evotech (the tuner I got my remap from) suggested that to me in order to cure a half-engine light that I was getting. It didn't cure the problem, but I also didn't really notice any gains in power or responsiveness. Then, I simply may not be sensitive enough...
Quote:
- Will it give that annoying "whistle" sound ( mates got an induction kit on his M5, was nice at first ... )
No. It MAY increase the turbo sound ever so slightly should you remove the stock cats in the downpipes, but sincerely I don't think so.
Quote:
- Am I better of investing the money in a full induction kit - I am contemplating a tune
Better airflow is always better, in particular if you're running a tune as under added boost the engine will need more and cooler/denser air even more than in stock form. However, repeated tests with dual cone filters have shown that, depending on the testing conditions (i.e. outside temps, driving profile etc.) the gains through after market intakes is somewhat dubious. The best test I've seen has been made in the US forum by Former_Booster_IS who tested a DCI against a cold air intake (CAI, from STETT). The result was that the CAI reduced the IATs more than the DCI, but that both resulted in lower IATs and some (if lower than expected) power gains.

My 2c: I don't like the noise an open intake ( la DCI) makes and find them too ostentatious in the engine bay. As a CAI seems to perform at least as good I'll have a CAI installed in the next few weeks.

Another alternative is to get a complete new airbox, such as Dinan has recently released or the one that is on the market (albeit at a prohibitive price) from Gruppe M. Those look much better, but have - IMO - a very bad cost/performance ratio.
Quote:
- Any issues with these filters ? Ive read on the American side that larger pores in the filter may let debris in and damage turbos in the long run (sounds like BS)
No issues at all. Regular cleaning is advisable, but others have already elaborated on this so I won't repeat.

Alpina_B3_Lux