E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What is the best battery for longevity?

12-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

What is the best battery for longevity?

I've been doing some research but haven't found too much solid information on what the best route is for replacing the battery. Now I have a local coder in town so I was going to replace my battery myself and have it registered. My car is an 07 328i without navigation. The battery is 5-6 years old currently and I can tell it's getting tired so I just want to figure out what I want to do when the time comes. My dad owned the car before me and I know the last battery replacement was around $500 at the dealer and I find that outrageous so I want to see if aftermarket will last just as long as the OEM battery.

-Should I go aftermarket or OEM?
-Standard or AGM? I don't know what the car currently has.

Thanks
      12-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

AGM batteries are really awesome. I put 1 in my '66 Chevelle in '09. The car sits for extended periods and it always starts. The AGM is kinda like having a deep cycle and a regular starting battery. They are significantly more expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I bought a Sears Diehard AGM to replace my original equipment BMW non-AGM battery last year some time. It has been excellent, car is always ready to go electrically. Programmed it with the Carly app.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep

Well if it will last the longest then I will definitely consider it. My feelings about the battery are right. Tonight the cranks are definitely a lot weaker all of a sudden. Pretty sure it's going to kick the bucket by morning.
      12-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep

Got an AGM battery from Advanced Auto parts as suggested by my local coder. He registered it for free and I'm all set.
      12-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

You should now notice all those annoying electrical gremlins have disappeared and everything works as you would have expected. Which battery did you get? Did he code it to AGM as well as register it?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
You should now notice all those annoying electrical gremlins have disappeared and everything works as you would have expected. Which battery did you get? Did he code it to AGM as well as register it?
Autocraft H8 AGM from Advance Auto Parts. Never had any electrical gremlins. Only drove it for 40 miles before it was registered.
      12-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #8
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post
Got an AGM battery from Advanced Auto parts as suggested by my local coder. He registered it for free and I'm all set.
If you switched from non-AGM to AGM, the battery should be coded, then registered.

AGMs charge a bit differently than non-AGMs and you may have decreased life/performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
Ali-323i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i (Cdn) 4dr E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 323i  [4.25]
Not only going from non-agm to agm, but also if the battery capacity (ah) has changed, coding is required.

Registration only tells the car there's a new battery.
Coding tells the car the type of battery.

Both are required to optimize life and quality of your new battery, unless new batt is the same spec as old, in which case registration alone is sufficient.
      01-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
If you switched from non-AGM to AGM, the battery should be coded, then registered.

AGMs charge a bit differently than non-AGMs and you may have decreased life/performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Not only going from non-agm to agm, but also if the battery capacity (ah) has changed, coding is required.

Registration only tells the car there's a new battery.
Coding tells the car the type of battery.

Both are required to optimize life and quality of your new battery, unless new batt is the same spec as old, in which case registration alone is sufficient.
The coder had me get a specific AGM battery that is the same specs as the OEM battery so he only needed to register it. He told me it would make no difference if it was coded to AGM. He's been doing BMW coding for all the Houston area guys for a long time so I took his word on it. I did ask him about it because all the research I did, suggested that the car be coded for the AGM.
      01-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
Ali-323i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i (Cdn) 4dr E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 323i  [4.25]
Quote:
The coder had me get a specific AGM battery that is the same specs as the OEM battery so he only needed to register it. He told me it would make no difference if it was coded to AGM. He's been doing BMW coding for all the Houston area guys for a long time so I took his word on it. I did ask him about it because all the research I did, suggested that the car be coded for the AGM.
If you went from non-AGM to AGM, even with the same specs, I would get it coded. There's a reason the different charging profiles exist for AGM/non-AGM, I would be weary of using the wrong profile if your goal is to maximize the new battery life.
      01-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Like I said, AGM and non-AGM batteries charge differently. Coding the car for the correct battery type is more important than registration.

Also unless your coder looked at your car prior to replacing and registering the battery, he has no idea what kind or capacity battery you have. Every car is different depending on how its optioned. There are at least 10+ different battery combos
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #13
mweisdorfer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I've been doing some research but haven't found too much solid information on what the best route is for replacing the battery. Now I have a local coder in town so I was going to replace my battery myself and have it registered. My car is an 07 328i without navigation. The battery is 5-6 years old currently and I can tell it's getting tired so I just want to figure out what I want to do when the time comes. My dad owned the car before me and I know the last battery replacement was around $500 at the dealer and I find that outrageous so I want to see if aftermarket will last just as long as the OEM battery.

-Should I go aftermarket or OEM?
-Standard or AGM? I don't know what the car currently has.

Thanks
AGM is the best battery for longevity.

If you can find a Bosch AGM battery, that battery should last 7 to 8 years or more under "normal" conditions.

You will need to code it so the ECU knows it's a AGM battery, if your battery in the car now is not an AGM. If it's a white battery and it's the original battery it's not an AGM. If it's black and it's the original battery, then it's an AGM.
Appreciate 0