E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Rebuilt front brakes in my E92

05-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
Rebuilt front brakes in my E92

The dust boots in the front calipers of my E92 had been torn for a while. I've put it off long enough. Since rust started to developed in my calipers, I decided to rebuild and paint them. The end result is pretty good IMO.

Torn dust boot (driver side)

Torn dust boot (passenger side)

New dust boot and seal

Cleaned piston

Cleaned caliper bore

New dust boot and seal installed

All painted

Front caliper painted

Rear caliper painted

Front caliper installed

Rear caliper installed

Front caliper installed with wheel

Rear caliper installed with wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [5.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I'm not usually a fan of painting stock calipers bright colors, but that's not bad! The 335 has big enough calipers to pull it off I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

good job on the rebuilding...the red not sure about.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Static E92

Great job on the rebuild, what did you use to lube the piston back in and i'm guessing you had to rebleed your brakes?
      05-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Body painted reflectors would make the red pop IMO.

Great DIY skills otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

good change!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is space grey

Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
Great job on the rebuild, what did you use to lube the piston back in and i'm guessing you had to rebleed your brakes?
I just used some fresh brake fluid to lube the bore, the piston, and the new seal. And since the brake line had to come off, the piston went in quite easily.

Yes, I had to rebleed the brakes (it was a disaster, more on this later). It's been couple of years since the last time I changed out the brake fluid, so this was a good opportunity to get everything done.

So bleeding the brakes is normally very easy for me since I have the Motive Power Bleeder that doesn't require an assistant to pump the brake. However, the damn hose broke after I pressurized the system. Brake fluid sprayed all over the underside of the hood, windshield, driver side fender, and some part of the driver side door. Depressurized the tank, then proceeded to wipe the brake fluid off the paint. I then cut off the broken section of the hose, reattached the hose back to the tank, and used zip-ties to secure the hose down (the hose clamp that came with the Power Bleeder was the type that can't be reused once it is removed). Pressurized the system again, and as I was about to loosen the bleed screw on the passenger rear caliper, I heard some hissing sound. @#$%@ Damn hose broke in a different location. Fixed the hose again, and tried for the third time. Fortunately, the hose held up and I was able to bleed the brakes.

After the disaster, I had to do an emergency wash in the engine bay and the entire car. Luckily, the exterior paint appears to be fine. I don't know about the painted surfaces in the engine bay. Hopefully the wash can remove the brake fluid from the mishap.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh, regarding the red. I was very indecisive at the beginning. I never had the intention to paint the calipers. But since rust started to develop on the calipers, I wanted to make them "look" better. I love red calipers (had them in my Prelude and Integra), but I also wanted something subtle like black or silver. I actually made 3 different trips to the store. The first 2 trips I literally stood in front of the paint racks several minutes trying to decide the color. I ended up leaving without buying any paint in those 2 trips. The 3rd trip, I said "screw it, I'm going back to my Honda days" and went for the red.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
smithf80
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 428 MSport

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to smithf80
How did you determine or know that that small piece of rubber was bad? Is it something worth checking?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
How did you determine or know that that small piece of rubber was bad? Is it something worth checking?
When you change your brake pads, you'll see whether this dust boot is good or bad. Just do a visual inspection next time you change your brake pads.

If the seal is bad, you'll lose brake performance and require this to be replaced right away.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Great job painting your calipers. I want to paint mine but I can't decide if I want to leave them on the car to paint them (so I don't have to bleed the brakes) or remove them from the car to paint them (so it'll be easier to paint) Either way, yours look great, although I would personally have painted the black parts red as well. The front brakes (being so big) look kind of funny red with a giant black square in the middle of them. Rear brakes are smaller so it's not as noticeable, but peeking out behind the wheels all I can see is that giant black square.
'08 BSM E92 335i 6MT/KW V1s/matte black grills/blacked out side markers/complete LED interior kit/DCI/M-aero front lip/Alcantara shift boot/Clutch stop/CDV delete/LED reverse lights/7" VRSF FMIC/Cobb AP V3/muffler delete/2500k angel eyes/
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565365&stc=1&d=1405361  850
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
SRanch335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2008 335I

nice
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Static E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
I just used some fresh brake fluid to lube the bore, the piston, and the new seal. And since the brake line had to come off, the piston went in quite easily.

Yes, I had to rebleed the brakes (it was a disaster, more on this later). It's been couple of years since the last time I changed out the brake fluid, so this was a good opportunity to get everything done.

So bleeding the brakes is normally very easy for me since I have the Motive Power Bleeder that doesn't require an assistant to pump the brake. However, the damn hose broke after I pressurized the system. Brake fluid sprayed all over the underside of the hood, windshield, driver side fender, and some part of the driver side door. Depressurized the tank, then proceeded to wipe the brake fluid off the paint. I then cut off the broken section of the hose, reattached the hose back to the tank, and used zip-ties to secure the hose down (the hose clamp that came with the Power Bleeder was the type that can't be reused once it is removed). Pressurized the system again, and as I was about to loosen the bleed screw on the passenger rear caliper, I heard some hissing sound. @#$%@ Damn hose broke in a different location. Fixed the hose again, and tried for the third time. Fortunately, the hose held up and I was able to bleed the brakes.

After the disaster, I had to do an emergency wash in the engine bay and the entire car. Luckily, the exterior paint appears to be fine. I don't know about the painted surfaces in the engine bay. Hopefully the wash can remove the brake fluid from the mishap.
That sounded like a nightmare I felt like doing what you did by taking out the calipers just to paint them but I don't have a power bleeder so I just kept it on to paint it, none the less you got it all back on the car and did it properly so for that.

Hope to see more mods from you
      05-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
swagon
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E82|N55|6MT

Garage List
You could have washed the fenders and wheel barrels too while you were at it.
      05-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
mashimarho
BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Tee View Post
good job on the rebuilding...the red not sure about.
+1

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
BBS&Forgestar///ER///BMS///AirLift///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
ninny11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Method for dust boot install?

Vwong, or anyone,

Can you give me any hints on installing the dust boot around the lip on the caliper body successfully? I tried once, and tore two small holes in the boot. I'm waiting on a replacement and hopefully I'll find a better method. I'd appreciate any helpful comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninny11 View Post
Vwong, or anyone,

Can you give me any hints on installing the dust boot around the lip on the caliper body successfully? I tried once, and tore two small holes in the boot. I'm waiting on a replacement and hopefully I'll find a better method. I'd appreciate any helpful comments.
Yeah, it was quite tricky to get the boot on. It's a press-fit type boot. I used a small flat-head screwdriver to push it in lightly at several places. I tried to place the screwdriver at the area that had less chance of tearing a hole. You can also put some tape on the tip of the screwdriver. Basically, just work your way around the boot little a time. Be patient!!! I wasn't patient when I did the same with my Honda Prelude years ago, and tore holes in the new boots. I learned my lesson back then, so this time I was being patient.

Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hey I had the same thing happen to me with the Motive hose. If you call them you can get new hose and clamps for really cheap. After a while the hose gets thin and will break under pressure. good job on the brakes
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #20
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

very nice job on the DIY. i would've painted the clip red as well but to each his own.
      06-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #21
EPT535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535I

Looks good, how hard was it to take off the 2 caliper bolts that are 16mm. I just bought new cross drilled/slotted rotors and I need to install them. Thanks
      06-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #22
ninny11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Vwong, thanks for the suggestion. I started working on it tonight, and was prepared for a delicate battle with the boot, but this one popped right on. Guess there's a decent amount of variation from one to the next. Thanks again for your quick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
Yeah, it was quite tricky to get the boot on. It's a press-fit type boot. I used a small flat-head screwdriver to push it in lightly at several places. I tried to place the screwdriver at the area that had less chance of tearing a hole. You can also put some tape on the tip of the screwdriver. Basically, just work your way around the boot little a time. Be patient!!! I wasn't patient when I did the same with my Honda Prelude years ago, and tore holes in the new boots. I learned my lesson back then, so this time I was being patient.

Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0