E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > our (new to us) '09 328i...photo journal and intro - it's a WAGON!!!!!!

02-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
s3touring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 Dinan S3 540 Wagon-sold

barbera/oyster e91 3/11/10 update: detailed, 1 mod, a few shots

CLICK HERE FOR THE MOST RECENT POST & PICS...

well, first off, wanted to say 'thanks' to those who have answered my questions, especially about the wheel sizes.

our 328i finally arrived after a long journey from new york. i'll post more pics in the next few days as time allows. it's barbera red metallic, but after it got loaded off the transport, it might as well have been barbera BROWN metallic.

i wish they never drilled the front bumper license plate holes. oh well, that's what i get for buying used.

it was already 4p our time, and we had to rush off to the dmv and get in line to a snake-like procession of pilgrims paying their dues. (blame ca dmv for not allowing me to register the car because it was purchased out-of-state.) to no one's surprise, it was 530p when we left.

getting dark, but sure did not stop me from giving it its well-deserved water bath.

here's a first for me. only bmw i know with 'overcooked pasta syndrome' windshield wipers! it just does not sit right with me.

finally, the barbera showing her true colors...

why barbera? i know there's an official barbera thread. not many cars at all. not my first choice, nor second, nor thirteenth. but that's a whole 'nother story.

-----

prior ride: this, my beautiful beast.

it was a 2003 540i wagon. supercharged. the short story is it was NOT supposed to sell so quickly, if at all. what happened was it was snatched at my full price in 11 hours. loved, and will be missed. if any of you want the gory details of its saga from beginning to end, go ahead and click on my sig where it says 'the mother thread.' i DARE you. 4-year running thread with over 900 posts. not for the faint of heart.

------

that sudden sale sent me scurrying across the 'net. i contacted over 2 dozen dealers, and that's just for bmw, not to mention other brands. this time though, i wasn't shopping for myself, but for my wife. her beloved '03 x5 4.4i was lemoned in dec of '08. a mini cooper s did temp duty for a year - she never really loved it, though it was a fun ride. i wanted to bless her, so i set off with a rather broad and clean slate. for a second, we almost left the bmw fold. that lasted about a week.

first night in our garage...

but those wheels. those style 282s...take a good look. ehh, not ugly. it has its own beauty. but just a tad small. (x5 had 20s, 540 wagon had 19s, e46 m3 had 19s...) BUT - this will remain stock. for the most part. there are no performance mods planned. got maybe a handful of minor ones. my wife's comment: hmmm - (from the initial dealer pics) "they look like hubcaps."

just one other major update coming up. for those who know me, don't worry. this will not even come anywhere close to epic proportions.

thanks for checking it out! good night.

"The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away, blessed be the name of the LORD."

Last edited by s3touring; 03-11-2010 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: updated title
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

congrats...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Congrats!
      02-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Jeez! Did they go off-roading with your car?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

take more pics of it clean during the day. i love the color . congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

congrats.
that 328 found a good home.
mod her well.
      02-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
Blacksapphiref06
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F06

Garage List
2013 BMW F06  [9.87]
2007 BMW M6  [8.50]
nice car, congrats!

i always loved the barbera red too

07 BMW M6 E63 [ Space Grey on Black Nappa Leather ]

13 BMW 640i F06 [ Black Sapphire on Cinnamon Brown Leather ]
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
s3touring
Second Lieutenant
Rep

part 2...

thanks for the views and cheers...here's the second half.

ok, cat's out of the bag. it's a WAGON!!!! being unloaded.

barbera's really interesting, to say the least. here's a flash shot to show the pigment.

without the flash, this is how it appears more to my eye.

clean shot with the 282s...really, not that bad. i just wished they made it in 17s, even non-staggered. would have been a keeper. not to mention 18s. that would have been killer looking. might be a good p-shop challenge.

see the stuff peeking out from the rear?

why, time for a swap! two side shots for comparison...

bought these wheels before the car even got here. came down to 162 or 189. (actually, i was wanting a set of the non-staggered style 285 in 17s...) THANKS to my335i for these spotless 189s.

(and for my335i, here's the screen shot of mileage. let's see how much we get out of the tires.)

---
quick detour: so why barbera? as i hunted across the country, my wife's requests were: nav & heated seats. very well, then. the initial contender was a local car, a cpo'd '07, monaco blue + beige, with only 17k miles, also non-sport, but certainly enticing with the bmw 0.9% financing carrot. decision was made to buy it late sunday night, and while i was checking the vin with my dealer, internet manager from beverly hills tells me IT'S GONE! (hence my questions about '07 vs '09.)

actually, blessing in disguise. the #2 candidate not only had my wife's minimum requirements, but a lot more. cost a bit more, no special financing. 0.9% was free money, but anything else wasn't worth doing.

sticker of options (and thanks to mallard for decoding my vin. we bought the car not knowing it had logic 7, and a few little details (not listed in the dealer for sale ad.)

the car turned out to be a bmw corporate car, in service date of 4/09. 19k miles - thanks to google, stumbled on the manheim auction insight report.
report link here

bottom line - out of a possible 5.0, it got a 4.9. nice. except for the blurb about the dirty oil. turns out it was never done.

but, that's what the 4yr/50k takes care of, plus the fact that i have all that documented. 19k miles? yes, a bit much, even by socal standards. but my intention was: NOT to keep it beyond the 6yr/100k which i will do (both extended and service extension). that gives us 80k over 5.5 years. if we try hard, we'll do 1,000 miles monthly. so no problem. and in 5.5 years, someone will get to buy a well-cared for and properly serviced gem. we already know it will be a hard one to say good-bye to.

i have to admit, not a fan of dark colors, as far as maintaining it. i love other people's dark cars...but the combo of the barbera + oyster and black dakota two-tone interior admittedly dropped my jaws. it was the closest thing to a bmw individual interior for little money, that or the feel of a 7 series level of luxury. stunning is a good word. it was nice to see my wife's expression as she saw those pics.

ride height - yes, not sport package low and mean, but very pleased with the stock height. front:

rear:

alright, enough chit chat. pictures will speak for themselves. (you can see the subtle changes in the color as the sun was setting.)

oh yes. price? by the grace of God, i feel we got a killer deal. $33,385. thumbs up to the dealer out in new york, tony at sutherland auto.

my 2-day ownership review:
power: adequate. played with the steptronic. i was amazed to see the 7k redline! it has punch...

idrive: having a lot of fun reading the manual and playing with everything.

suspension/ride quality: i have had 328i loaners before. non-sport. it is impressive to me that even their 'budget' cars have amazing ride quality. had my wife take a joy ride yesterday (it's her ride...) as acting instructor. she loved it. (that's saying a lot as she is used to the much stiffer x5 sport, and never mind my previous wagon's stage 3 dropped and aggressively cambered suspension.)

most impressive feature: the logic7 bass. wow. yes, it's upgraded from the basic, but don't get me started on the 03 wagon's dsp with a teeny-weeny woofer, or even my e46 m3's harman kardon. good job, bmw.

have to say - not the fastest or most powerful, but we already know it'll be a wagon that will be loved and enjoyed. and yes, already got an awesome detailer to come over and give it a thorough job, at least once in its lifetime!

thanks for reading.

ps: a few of us were wondering a bit about the car. for one to be very much richly appointed on the inside, with a color combo that was initially not available, we were guessing it was driven by a lady.

1. what guy would not want the sport package, if that was the only option he selected? i'm a geek and even i want the sport package! the original sticker suggests it was spec'd internally.

2. overall condition - at almost 20k miles and just 2 little nicks on the hood/front fender, something says it was not driven hard and fast. tires still have about 8/32nds, amazing considering the 140 tread wear rating of the bridgestone run-flats. i know that from experience - our x5 had nary a dimple, while both my cars had sandblasted and pebble-kissed bumpers. the interior is nuts. almost no creases on the front passenger, and definitely spotless on the rear bench.

3. with apologies to the fairer sex, the thing about the oil change ignored and not done at 19k.

again, plain old conjecture, but it sure made for interesting banter and conspiracy theories.

shameless plug and request: know anyone who is willing to swap their chrome grill inserts for my black oem inserts?
PLEASE CLICK AND READ! Thanks.

Last edited by s3touring; 02-18-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
congrats and really nice! i'm a huge E91 fan though i own an E90...kind of want both.

you were prolly joking about the limp wiper blades (sorry if i didn't get the sarcasm) but they're supposed to have that curve in them for adhesion to the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Hot E91, very nice! I think the only thing it needs is bigger wheels. Awesome color combination though - really unique!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
1smooth6
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i w/ZSP,ZPP,Xenon

Congrats on your new ride! What a difference the wheel swap made!

I have to ask...Why did you sell the great looking 540it Motorsport?

I mean...I love my E90 but.....the E39, especially a clean and well cared
and nicely modded example like yours was. Kind of like the ultimate, to me anyway. Maybe I'm showing my age here...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Wow, what an color combo, very nice.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Great looking wagon and story...enjoy her!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Congrats on the E91. Looks great. I'm looking to buy one as you might remember (you posted on my thread.)

I probably would never consider Barbera but I have to say it looks very nice, esp under diffuse light.

Those 189s make a huge difference on the looks. Good choice.

Next mod is to kill the amber reflectors. On some colors they really kill the looks and Barbera is one of those colors, imho.

Again, congrats and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Wagons don't get enough love. Nice car.
      02-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

nice! congrats!
      02-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

congrats

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
my335i
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Jack...very nice...looks even better with the 189s...lower it...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Very nice wagon! The 189 wheels really sets the car off. If you like Barbara Red, you are lucky since it is going to be discontinued for 2011 models.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Congrats. To echo earlier comments, I also love that exterior/interior color combo. Nice.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
s3touring
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear_Fan View Post
Jeez! Did they go off-roading with your car?!?!
it crossed my mind. even my humble corolla has never been that filthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
take more pics of it clean during the day. i love the color . congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335Ci View Post
nice car, congrats!
i always loved the barbera red too
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Wow, what an color combo, very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
Very nice wagon! The 189 wheels really sets the car off. If you like Barbara Red, you are lucky since it is going to be discontinued for 2011 models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
Congrats. To echo earlier comments, I also love that exterior/interior color combo. Nice.
the color combo has been truly amazing. my wife had entertained a much brighter red. inside we though beige. we've always wanted an imola something. had the chance with my spec'd e46 m3 but chickened out last minute. we're both in our mid-40s, and the very deep red wine look to it (haha, even though we don't even drink) lends a very elegant and sophisticated touch to it. the oyster/dakota is simply out of this world for us. i had to change my own opinion of the 3 series. nothing wrong with it being sporty, which is just fine. even entry-level as far as the bmw lineup is concerned. but the handful of people who've seen it, even the fairly jaded dealership folks who have seen everything, make it like a little condo in a ritzy neighborhood, beautifully and richly appointed on the inside. it certainly blows away the interiors of all our previous bmws, 3 (e46 m3, 4.4 x5, s3 wagon) of which were about TWICE the price of this little e91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiE90 View Post
congrats.
that 328 found a good home.
mod her well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my335i View Post
Jack...very nice...looks even better with the 189s...lower it...
ok. very well then. here's the mod list:
1. complete m-sport body kit, except the front to have the m3 front fascia
2. bmw performance suspension
3. advan rs, 19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear, on mich rfts
4. paddle-shift steering wheel retrofit
5. heated rear seats
6. send to dinan for engine transplant - either stroker engine from the m3, or at least the 3.0 liter twin turbo with dinan software to get up to 400 hp
oh wait! that was a dream! nooooooooooooooooooooo! what a ride that would be!

kidding aside, here is the REAL mod list:
1. wheels. (done, got the 189s on. 282s will be up for sale shortly.)
2. grill inserts - going oem chrome. it's fairly cheap, but because i'm even cheaper, i know someone will trade me for my black ones.
3. oem rubber mats (front, rear and trunk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
congrats and really nice! i'm a huge E91 fan though i own an E90...kind of want both.
you were prolly joking about the limp wiper blades (sorry if i didn't get the sarcasm) but they're supposed to have that curve in them for adhesion to the windshield.
absolutely. i was just surprised, i thought i had bent and broken the normally stiff metal that holds the wipers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Hot E91, very nice! I think the only thing it needs is bigger wheels. Awesome color combination though - really unique!
bigger wheels? it graduated from 16s to 18s overnight! it's even a tad bigger than what i had wanted, as i was shooting for 17-inch non staggered, like this: (style 285) in fact, if a pristine set comes up, i MIGHT still jump on it and sell the 189s...i think i'm done with kissing potholes for a while, even in socal. the 18s with 225/40 and 255/35 are very much like the sidewalls i had on my 19s. looks fantastic, but it's still in the back of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smooth6 View Post
Congrats on your new ride! What a difference the wheel swap made!

I have to ask...Why did you sell the great looking 540it Motorsport?

I mean...I love my E90 but.....the E39, especially a clean and well cared
and nicely modded example like yours was. Kind of like the ultimate, to me anyway. Maybe I'm showing my age here...
that wheel swap was the one thing that made the package. even the dealer where i went to, that was the owner's remark. love it - the 189s do deliver on a great balance of sporty and elegant. (of course, that's after agonizing on all the wheel choices. i will confess to downloading hundreds of e9x pics among a dozen different oem wheel choices...)

as to why my wagon sold? long story. very, very loooooooooong story. grab a cup (or tub) of caffeine, and read this.
CLICK THIS.

ultimate? for me? no kidding. it was a hard decision, but the right decision. if you follow through on the link above, you';; see things turned out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
congrats...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Great looking wagon and story...enjoy her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post
Wagons don't get enough love. Nice car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender514 View Post
nice! congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeclueless View Post
congrats
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Congrats on the E91. Looks great. I'm looking to buy one as you might remember (you posted on my thread.)

I probably would never consider Barbera but I have to say it looks very nice, esp under diffuse light.

Those 189s make a huge difference on the looks. Good choice.

Next mod is to kill the amber reflectors. On some colors they really kill the looks and Barbera is one of those colors, imho.

Again, congrats and enjoy
of course! eagerly awaiting to see your e91 when you get it. who said i even considered barbera? i did not even KNOW there was a barbera! it is gorgeous, and makes for stunning photography. my silver need strong backgrounds. for BR, a blank canvas will suffice. sadly () the ambers are staying. thanks!

--

anyways, planning on dropping by the ltbmw opening today. this car should at least attend one meet.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #22
2009BMW335
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
nice car
Appreciate 0