E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ATI ePOD from Bimmerworld **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

02-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

ATI ePOD from Bimmerworld **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

Anyone that reads any of my posts knows that I sincerely believe that we need a place to put gauges that are in direct sight of the driver. Trust me when I say this, I have searched long & hard for a solution. At this point I feel the ATI ePOD is probably the best solution I have come up with. There are a couple of negatives, but to me the positives far out weigh the negative and this is the reason I have it on my car. In this review I will cover the installation, quality, and positives/negatives of the ePOD.

Once I decided to buy the ePOD, I went back to Brian at Bimmerworld because I knew they carried the item and have been very easy to work with in the past. So with this my review begins.

Experience with ATI / Bimmerworld

Purchasing from Brian at Bimmerworld has been very easy in my two purchases with them. They always keep me informed and shipping is always fast. When I placed my order for the ATI ePOD, I had tracking info fast and the package was drop shipped from ATI directly.

During this process, I got a chance to chat with Calvin Eng at ATI and I will say he has been very helpful along the way. Clearly he is interested in the N54 community and we are a priority to his company.

When the package arrived at my house, it was well protected in peanuts for the trip.

The ATI ePOD box was in the larger box.

Upon opening the package, I found every item bubble wrapped and the directions included.

With superior packaging, the items were perfect and scuff free. Notice the hardware and tool to tighten the pods once you set the location. Also you can see the sharp ATI logo on the steering column itself.

The pods themselves hold 52mm gauges. A rubber insert is used to safely secure the gauges to the pod.

Ordering from Bimmerworld again was a very pleasant process and ATI was tremendously helpful along the way.

Installation

The tools you will need to remove the stock steering column are:

- Needle Nose Pliars
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Small Flathead Screwdriver

In essence the stock steering is held on only by plastic snaps that are pressure released. The rear "leather" section is held by 4 plastic tabs, so this is an easy job. If you plan on reusing the stock steering column again, I would just use a little caution to protect the item. I used a piece of cardboard between the screw driver and steering column to protect the plastic. Start by lifting up on the steering column in the middle as shown here.

Then use the small screwdriver to seperate the top and bottom steering column until it "pops" open. Notice the location of the small screwdriver on exact location where the snap is located.

Once you unsnap both sides, then you will lift the column up.

The only thing at this point holding in the column is the "leather" covering on the back of the column. It is held on by four snaps that I highlighted with blue arrows below. Simply use the needle nose pliars to release them and take the column out.

Before you install the ePOD, run the wires for your gauges up through the steering column! LOL!

Now, it is time to install the ATI ePOD. The first step is to install the pods onto the ATI steering column. You can see the screws on the pods that you use to mount the pods onto the column. Make sure the bronze looking hex screw is facing away from the center of the column to assure you can lock the pods in place after a test fitting.

Here is what an assembled ATI pod looks like with a test fitting of the gauges.

Once you have pod assembled, simply reverse the order of the removal process. This is really a very easy install.

It is important to note, that you do not want to secure the orientation of the pods themselves yet because you want it perfect in the car.

When I first decided to use this pod, I had the BMS Tuning Tool on the right side and made a simple 52 mm mounting cup with Lexan. I then painted it matte black and the result is what you see above. For those interested, here is what was used to make the 52 mm pod.

Since I first installed the ATI ePOD, I changed my gauge setup, so my current look is different now. In addition, the BMS Tuning Tool will be discontinued so I don't want to DIY something that isn't available anymore.

Regardless of what gauges you select, wire up the gauges and you will need to test fit them, and finally lock the pods in place. Below is a picture of the hex screw on the bottom mounting point on the pod.

I simply faced the pods as far away from the center of the steering column as possible to maximize my view. Use the included tool I showed above to secure the hex locking screw on the pod and you are done.

Results

I have held off on this review for a while only because I know there are strong positives with some negatives. I will be the first to say that some will not accept some of the negatives and others could care less. The bottom line is I want to present all the facts and you can decide if the ATI ePOD is right for you.

The ATI ePOD is absolutely perfectly matched to the stock steering column material. Here is a side by side comparison.

As you can see the match is perfect.

Next, we need to talk about how the gauges look and what do they cover up. Here are numerous shots with the gauges mounted.

I think it is safe to say you cannot see below 1/2 tank on your gas gauge while sitting in the driver's seat without angling your body to look. Second, I think it is safe to say you cannot see oil temperatures past about the half way point on the oil gauge. That is about 250 degrees if I am correct.

At the same time, it is very clear that this is the single most visible place for a gauge setup that I have seen bar none. The ATI ePOD is superb in its ability to allow you to watch the road and still see the gauges. For things like boost, A/F, Methanol flow, and other displays you must be able to see, I have not found a better solution and this is the reason I have this still on my car.

Finally, we need to look into how secure the gauges are on the top of the ePOD steering column. Initially I had a small bounce on one of my gauges when I drove around. I immediately contacted ATI and they replaced the pod. After a combination of replacing the pod and changing the gauge setup, I do not have any bounce to the gauges.

Conclusions

Bimmerworld once again was very easy to place my order with and helpful through the entire purchase. If you are interested in purchasing from them, here is the link I bought from.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/shared/...t=products.asp

ATI has been particularly helpful as well. Calvin Eng from ATI is clearly a BMW enthusiast and I was pleased with the time he spent trying to make sure I got a wobble free pod.

Finally, you must decide what is best for you. These are the facts:

1. The ATI ePOD is the only gauge pod I know that is in the line of sight.
2. The ATI ePOD is very well priced versus other options on the market.
3. The material is a spot on OEM match.
4. The fit is absolutely OEM.
5. Installation is easy.
6. The pods should be wobble free from my experience.
7. You will not be able to see below 1/2 tank on the gas gauge without leaning to the side to see it.
8. You will not be able to see above 250F on the oil temperature gauge without moving.

These are the facts and I hope they help you decide if the ATI ePOD is for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

you've done it again!

have a question since you had IS, remember the stand-alone fog light mod on IS so that we can turn it on and off without turning the lowbeam on? do you think we can do that on our car too?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

another good review
      02-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great review again....thanks....

I always point out things that I love and don't like...Love the setup, but the BMS square gauge kills the whole entire look of it and makes it not uniform....Putting a square box in a round hole...you get the idea

Great setup for two round gauges for sure!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Great review again....thanks....

I always point out things that I love and don't like...Love the setup, but the BMS square gauge kills the whole entire look of it and makes it not uniform....Putting a square box in a round hole...you get the idea

Great setup for two round gauges for sure!!
That gauge is not on my car anymore. There is something new in there that I hope to cover next week.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
That gauge is not on my car anymore. There is something new in there that I hope to cover next week.
As always... great reviews... looking forward to what you have in store next.

From what I am counting, you now have 4 gauges? (vent boost, epod meth&ait, and AFR ?)

I want to see a WIDE angle shot of all the gauges in your car... must look sweet all lit up
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

as usual thanks for this review
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun77777 View Post
you've done it again!

have a question since you had IS, remember the stand-alone fog light mod on IS so that we can turn it on and off without turning the lowbeam on? do you think we can do that on our car too?
hun77777, thanks for the kind words.

I do not have a standalone fog mod, but if I get time maybe I can put a little effort into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
another good review
Sniz, thanks. Since everyone wanted the review, I felt it should be a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
As always... great reviews... looking forward to what you have in store next.

From what I am counting, you now have 4 gauges? (vent boost, epod meth&ait, and AFR ?)

I want to see a WIDE angle shot of all the gauges in your car... must look sweet all lit up
Rix, thanks for the compliments.

I have the P3 vent gauge (which will never leave my car), the Snow Performance flow gauge, the Snow Performance Stage 3 controller, and one other item. I will post more on that soon. I will post the info as soon as I can and many pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
as usual thanks for this review
enrita, no problem. I am glad I could help.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Very cool. I love how detailed and indepth your reviews are.
      02-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
SSDD
Reading > Posting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Very informative as always. Thanks again for blazing the trail for us.
      02-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
really nice
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
BadBoostedBMWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36m,F80,G80;TRX; 992 TTS; F95

Thanks for the review/DIY!! Its a shame that you can't get a circular boost gauge.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Very cool. I love how detailed and indepth your reviews are.
ArmyBimmerDude, thanks for the kind words. I am glad they help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDD View Post
Very informative as always. Thanks again for blazing the trail for us.
SSDD, no problem at all. More to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
really nice
Thanks mkPOTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoostedBMWM3 View Post
Thanks for the review/DIY!! Its a shame that you can't get a circular boost gauge.
The spot where the BMS Tuning Tool was is already being used by another gauge. I will give more info in a future review.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

thanks for the review!
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Former:
are you sure that the manufacturer has fixed the initial guage bounce problem u had ?
For us overseas guys - I do not want to have to send the pod back for adjustment / fix !

Great review - i think i will be getting a pod myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

I support your threads.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

nice review boosted!!

i was going with the same setup a few weeks back i seen that member running it some time ago.. *Katanna* or something like that

i'm gonna do Coolingmist CMgs W/ AEM Digital Boost Gauge.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #18
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

I just ordered one but I ordered it from here https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...eries-e90.aspx They sell it for $92 and $9 shipping, rather than bimmerworld $104 and $12 shipping.
      02-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #19
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
thanks for the review!
Chefcg1, no problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
Former:
are you sure that the manufacturer has fixed the initial guage bounce problem u had ?
For us overseas guys - I do not want to have to send the pod back for adjustment / fix !

Great review - i think i will be getting a pod myself.
midlife, I can only speak to my experience. I did have a small bounce and they took care of me, so that is good enough for me. I wish I could make guarantees, but that would be a question to ATI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
I support your threads.
lpphreakx06, thanks my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald-335i View Post
nice review boosted!!

i was going with the same setup a few weeks back i seen that member running it some time ago.. *Katanna* or something like that

i'm gonna do Coolingmist CMgs W/ AEM Digital Boost Gauge.
Donald, I suspect it will work beautifully for that application!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
I just ordered one but I ordered it from here https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...eries-e90.aspx They sell it for $92 and $9 shipping, rather than bimmerworld $104 and $12 shipping.
Terrance, I emailed Bimmerworld that link. Let's see if they will match.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
MrUpscale
UpscaleAutomotive.com
Rep
Drives: 2004 Subaru STi GT30R 406whp

Thanks for the order Terrance! The pod was shipped 2/24 and is set for delivery 3/1! Also, our price is currently $94.49, not but $2.49 more than $92
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #21
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Dang I didn't know you guys were on this site, its good to know.
      02-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
MrUpscale
UpscaleAutomotive.com
Rep
Drives: 2004 Subaru STi GT30R 406whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Dang I didn't know you guys were on this site, its good to know.
We have an account now thanks to you ! Thought it would be worthwhile to publicly share a status update on this and be available for questions etc

VERY nice E92 by the way!!
Appreciate 0