E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Black Lower Grills! (INTERCOOLER OVERSPRAY FIX!!)



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY: Black Lower Grills! (INTERCOOLER OVERSPRAY FIX!!)
D.yi
02-19-2010
What you need:
1 Can of Plastidip
1 roll of blue Painters tape
Paper to make the overspray
3 regular sized balloons

I know there are plenty of DIY for painting the lower grills however i could not find a solution for solving the overspray on the...
  #22  
By I335 on 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
So ingenious - love it!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
By michael1284 on 06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiE92 View Post
that looks great. very creative. what's the best kind of plastic spray paint to use?
i just went to home depot and picked up the spray paint that's for plastic...no primer needed. here's a pic. [LEFT BOTTLE]

Reply With Quote
  #24  
By ironman1982 on 07-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
5
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 100%
Super easy and such an innovative workaround with a fantastic outcome. Performed it about a month ago and most of the work was spent taping up the edges of the grilles with painters tape and newspapers for the overspray. The balloons took all of a few minutes to get setup! Great DIY!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
By coh4777 on 07-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
For the left and right side mesh, is there nothing behind that will be damaged or affected by the overspray? So no need to protect it as you did with the intercooler right?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
By ZombiE92 on 07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
i just did this last weekend, but i think i found an even easier and cleaner way of doing this... not to threadjack or anything, and i think the balloon idea is super creative...

i taped off and sprayed the right and left side grills just like the OP. right and left sides don't have anything behind them so no need to prevent overspray.

the kicker: the middle mesh grill can actually be easily removed from the car without tools at all. just push back on the grill starting on the bottom and work your way around, undoing the clips. then slide it to one side, and pull it out at an angle. it is very easy to remove, and you won't feel like you're going to break anything.

i gave everything 2 good coats of krylon for plastic... and it came out great!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
By jonas9000 on 07-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Ok, but you can buy black lower grills cheap !
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
By coh4777 on 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiE92 View Post
i just did this last weekend, but i think i found an even easier and cleaner way of doing this... not to threadjack or anything, and i think the balloon idea is super creative...

i taped off and sprayed the right and left side grills just like the OP. right and left sides don't have anything behind them so no need to prevent overspray.

the kicker: the middle mesh grill can actually be easily removed from the car without tools at all. just push back on the grill starting on the bottom and work your way around, undoing the clips. then slide it to one side, and pull it out at an angle. it is very easy to remove, and you won't feel like you're going to break anything.

i gave everything 2 good coats of krylon for plastic... and it came out great!
Wait you can just take out the middle mesh without removing the bumper? Is it easy to re-install once you've painted it?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
By coh4777 on 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas9000 View Post
Ok, but you can buy black lower grills cheap !
Where and how much? I think I remember seeing that Tischer sold black lower mesh grills for around $60. Not a lot of money, but would rather not spend it if all I need to do is spend an hour or two to paint them myself! Also I think to remove the side grills you definitely need to take off the front bumper.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
By jonas9000 on 07-30-2010, 03:02 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
Where and how much? I think I remember seeing that Tischer sold black lower mesh grills for around $60. Not a lot of money, but would rather not spend it if all I need to do is spend an hour or two to paint them myself! Also I think to remove the side grills you definitely need to take off the front bumper.
29$ for 24X98CM in Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
By jonas9000 on 07-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Talking

And itīs much nicer then the OEM grill !
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #32  
By ZombiE92 on 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
Wait you can just take out the middle mesh without removing the bumper? Is it easy to re-install once you've painted it?
Yes. Everyone!!! It's extremely easy to remove the middle mesh without removing the bumper. Took me 45 seconds, no tools, no damage. It's a little tougher getting it back in... maybe 90 seconds, but that's just bc u want to be a bit more careful not to scratch the paint. I'll post pics later if I remember...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
By ZombiE92 on 07-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
EASIEST Center Grill Method

Here are the pics...

Remove your license plate bracket first if you have one. It's ugly anyways, worth the risk of getting a ticket IMO. I've since plugged the unsightly holes in the bumper with plugs from O'Reilly for $2.48. Perfect black color match too
Attached Images
        
Reply With Quote
  #34  
By MAZINGER on 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
How about the plastic grill on each side? Same technique?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
By coh4777 on 07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Awesome thanks zombie!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
By coh4777 on 07-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
How about the plastic grill on each side? Same technique?
I'm pretty sure the side ones you cannot remove unless you take off the front bumper. But if you are just painting, then you don't have to worry about overspray like you do with the center one because there is nothing behind the side grills.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
By MAZINGER on 07-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
I'm pretty sure the side ones you cannot remove unless you take off the front bumper. But if you are just painting, then you don't have to worry about overspray like you do with the center one because there is nothing behind the side grills.
Good to know! I think "Plastic Dip" (something like this) is the ideal paint, right?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
By ZombiE92 on 07-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
How about the plastic grill on each side? Same technique?
right, just paint in place. nothing behind them to worry about overspray. good luck guys!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
By ZombiE92 on 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
Good to know! I think "Plastic Dip" (something like this) is the ideal paint, right?
i just used krylon for plastic... available at walmart, home depot, ACE, etc.

two coats, no primer, no sanding. it looks great!
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #40  
By donsgolf2012 on 08-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 93%
Just finished doing my lower grills. I removed the middle one and it was really easy. I was using Plasti-dip and put about 5 coats on all the pieces. Turned out great. When removing the paint watch the coating sticking to the tape and the grill. Remove it slowly and you should have no problems.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
By NoCarrier on 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, Krylon Fusion is perfect for jobs like this.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
By I335 on 08-23-2010, 07:26 PM
OK - so it's easy to remove the middle grill, but how do you reinstall it?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
By spdy330 on 08-23-2010, 09:51 PM
That was definatly a good idea.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST