E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windows and sunroof open by themselves!

02-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Windows and sunroof open by themselves!

Well, having just got the car back from the dealer Thursday night after long crank episodes, Friday morning all the windows and the sunroof were wide open when we went to get in the car!

Fortunately, we have a garage, so it wasn't a security problem, and even though it was raining, everything didn't get soaked. But, still...

This morning, they were all open again! Back to the dealer.

He speculates the remote in my wife's purse somehow gets crimped and the open button held down, which with Comfort Access will do what I described. She thinks it unlikely...the dealer is going to check it out, and we asked them to disable that feature of CA, in case that is what's going on. I'll note we've had the car since September and it never did this before. You know the old saying -- "Once, is chance, twice MIGHT be coincidence, but three times is enemy action!".

We were not particularly thrilled by this one, as you might imagine.
      02-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.

Drives: N54B30

I was going to say it seems like a malfunction with the unlock button getting held down somehow. Other than that, I'm not too sure. Fuse? Some sort of computer malfunction?

Could be a ghost
      02-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
vadim
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 E92 335i MT

This is not specific to CA - any remote will open the sunroof and the windows when the unlock button is pressed and held down for a while.

There have been many similar posts on this forum, and I have yet to see any malfunction reported. Put both remotes in clear sight to make sure it is not the button being accidentally pressed.
vadim is offline   United_States
      02-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
This is not specific to CA - any remote will open the sunroof and the windows when the unlock button is pressed and held down for a while.

There have been many similar posts on this forum, and I have yet to see any malfunction reported. Put both remotes in clear sight to make sure it is not the button being accidentally pressed.
But at least with CA, they can turn the function OFF! Not sure if that is possible otherwise. Once it's off, no more worries.
      02-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
sworks335i
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 E90 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
But at least with CA, they can turn the function OFF! Not sure if that is possible otherwise. Once it's off, no more worries.
But its such a sweet feature in the summer time!
sworks335i is offline   United_States
      02-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

turns out not to be the remote. Instead, they found the wiring harness connector to the driver's side lock assembly loose, tilted to one side, and the plug only partly in. Water inside the connector, likely it shorted the harness causing the windows to open.

Since there is no way to keep water out of the doors, the connector assembly is supposed to point down, so the connector socket hood covers the plug junction. Sideways and open, water was able to get in. Replaced the hood and plug, secured everything, and am told it shouldn't come back...

BTW, it turns out the dealer cannot just disable the window/roof override function on CA cars, without turning off the entire CA suite...bummer.
      02-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
str86diesel
Private

Drives: 2011 335xi

I had this same problem with my car and worked with the dealer to troubleshoot it for many months (non ca car). come to find out the dealer found on my car that the issue had to do with a faulty door accuator in which wasn't completely moisture sealed. They ended up replacing this unit with an updated model and then wrapped all of the accuators in a wrapping to keep them and the harnesses weather protected.
      02-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks, good to know. If the problem comes back I'll definitely mention that to the service guys.
      02-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
paulcheung
Captain

Drives: 2010 E92 335i BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str86diesel View Post
I had this same problem with my car and worked with the dealer to troubleshoot it for many months (non ca car). come to find out the dealer found on my car that the issue had to do with a faulty door accuator in which wasn't completely moisture sealed. They ended up replacing this unit with an updated model and then wrapped all of the accuators in a wrapping to keep them and the harnesses weather protected.

good to know
paulcheung is offline   No_Country
      02-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
faz
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 07 328i sedan, 11 535i 6MT

Good to know.
      02-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str86diesel View Post
Who would have known...
      03-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Well, this morning all the windows and sunroof were wide open, again! Back to the dealer. The "fix" didn't stay fixed very long, did it?
      03-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Very odd, but it is good to finally hear of an actual problem and solution for this issue. We've had at least a half dozen threads where windows and sunroof mysteriously opened. Wearing tight jeans is usually identified as the culprit. Interesting that it also could be the actuators, not user error after all.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
      03-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

This is definitely an electrical problem, because the doors were locked when I found everything open! I don't have the "relock" option set in the key preferences (deliberately), so if it had been the keyfob, the doors would have been unlocked if the button had been held down.

A thread in another forum about the same exact problem in an '08 328 suggests it could be the receiver amplifier or the "general module" as well as the lock module itself.
      03-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor

Drives: '10 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
I was going to say it seems like a malfunction with the unlock button getting held down somehow. Other than that, I'm not too sure. Fuse? Some sort of computer malfunction?

Could be a ghost
INCORRECT. This malfunction exists and IS NOT error. Happened to my 07 during a monsoon (8" of rain in one weekend). There is a housing in the A-pillar that is not properly weather-sealed and (in my case) pins 18/19 malfunctioned, opening my sunroof, windows and trunk overnight, outdoors in my driveway during a rainstorm.

Actuator housing is, yes, poorly engineered. I suppose the poor EE department couldn't get resources from drivetrain and suspension during the annual budget process. Thanks, Munich.
      03-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene Hat View Post
INCORRECT. This malfunction exists and IS NOT error. Happened to my 07 during a monsoon (8" of rain in one weekend). There is a housing in the A-pillar that is not properly weather-sealed and (in my case) pins 18/19 malfunctioned, opening my sunroof, windows and trunk overnight, outdoors in my driveway during a rainstorm.

Actuator housing is, yes, poorly engineered. I suppose the poor EE department couldn't get resources from drivetrain and suspension during the annual budget process. Thanks, Munich.
Was there any damage and did BMW fix/reimburse you for it?
      03-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #17
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Update: Dealer had the car for 2 1/2 days, brought the "regional engineer from BMW" in to look at it, then replaced the entire driver's side (master) lock assembly.

While they were at it, they tested the HPFP again, at my request (more long cranks) and this time it failed the pressure test, so that has also been replaced.

Picking it up in the morning...
      03-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #18
chenx15
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i/accord

i love this feature
      03-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #19
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
i love this feature
You'd love it less if it happened on the street in a downpour!
      03-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene Hat View Post

Whoa!

Would have been nice to have a garage then, eh?
      03-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Comfort access doesn't work properly. I'm hoping there is a "reprogram" other than the entire computer, i.e. for the fobs or the system specifically.

It's pretty ridiculous to say your wife's purse and the fob inside is causing your stuff to open. So is the solution to take the fob away from your wife? Give me a break.

Again, I do understand, when the dealership doesn't know what to do, they're human too, what can they say? I'm sure they get pretty lame answers from BMW. On my car, the car locked when you want it to unlock. SA witnessed it. BMWNA told him it's normal.
      03-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #22
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
It's pretty ridiculous to say your wife's purse and the fob inside is causing your stuff to open. So is the solution to take the fob away from your wife? Give me a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Again, I do understand, when the dealership doesn't know what to do, they're human too, what can they say? I'm sure they get pretty lame answers from BMW. On my car, the car locked when you want it to unlock. SA witnessed it. BMWNA told him it's normal.
Seriously? Wtf? Doesn't seem like a normal feature. Just my opinion, though