E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SOOOO i got to put in downpipes and...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
prowheelie92
Private
prowheelie92's Avatar
0
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

SOOOO i got to put in downpipes and...

long story short i was getting downpipes installed. halfway threw the installation my mechanic saw oil literally dripping from the turbo at the inlet. i called bmw and told them about this and he said theres a oring at the inlet which can cause little oil leaks. Now what are your guys recommendations how long will the turbos last like this?
__________________
Sold: CBR 600 F4i, 1991 BMW 323ci
Garage: E90 335I, E39 m5
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
glachhman
Banned
15
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: '07 335i e90
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Didnt you just get them changed at the dealer following my recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
prowheelie92
Private
prowheelie92's Avatar
0
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
Didnt you just get them changed at the dealer following my recommendation?
my vehicle warranty was done i only had the 82k turbo warranty recall. i talked to many service advisers about the oil leak and they said that warranty is for the waste-gate rattle not turbo oil leaking.my warranty was over a while ago back in october.
__________________
Sold: CBR 600 F4i, 1991 BMW 323ci
Garage: E90 335I, E39 m5
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Tony@vargasturbotech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tony@vargasturbotech's Avatar
62
Rep
1,314
Posts


Drives: N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

If its the rear turbo, that can be normal as the PCV system vents directly into the rear inlet, and the stock PCV system is known to leak. If this is the case, you can help with an upgraded PCV valve, or using a BMS OCC.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant
15
Rep
597
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC/Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

Get an OCC like stated above.

On a separate note, how does the PCV valve help?
__________________
2007 335i coupe. Jet Black on Saddle Brown | 3 Pedals


instagram.com/merritt_detailing
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
prowheelie92
Private
prowheelie92's Avatar
0
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@vargasturbotech View Post
If its the rear turbo, that can be normal as the PCV system vents directly into the rear inlet, and the stock PCV system is known to leak. If this is the case, you can help with an upgraded PCV valve, or using a BMS OCC.
im also curious to how the pcv valve helps? Also the mechanic said" right by the rear turbo inlet there was a ton of oil dripping." i asked and called up the dealership service manager, and he said theres a o ring in the inlet that could cause the oil leaks. service manager also stated is common to leak oil in that area. i asked my mechanic about this and he said there should be no oil near the turbos and there going to blow soon only a matter of time.
__________________
Sold: CBR 600 F4i, 1991 BMW 323ci
Garage: E90 335I, E39 m5
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
Tony@vargasturbotech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tony@vargasturbotech's Avatar
62
Rep
1,314
Posts


Drives: N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowheelie92 View Post
im also curious to how the pcv valve helps? Also the mechanic said" right by the rear turbo inlet there was a ton of oil dripping." i asked and called up the dealership service manager, and he said theres a o ring in the inlet that could cause the oil leaks. service manager also stated is common to leak oil in that area. i asked my mechanic about this and he said there should be no oil near the turbos and there going to blow soon only a matter of time.
It sounds like both parties are ignorant of turbocharger operation, there is no O-ring in the let that will keep oil in. Also seeing some small amounts of oil in the inlet tract, or the charge piping can be normal depending on the current state of your motor, how much crankcase pressure it sees, the PCV system health. There are many factors that can cause oil in both the intets and charge pipe tracts. Also turbos do not use a positive seal, they use piston rings, which are inherently going to leak small amounts of oil past them, the compressor is creating a very heavy suction on the inlet side of the turbo, this can and does such small amount of oil past the compressor side piston ring, and gets distributed in the inlet, and charge pipe tracts. While you can see some, you should not see tons, BUT if this is the only rear turbo, and the PCV is stock, this could indicate a PCV issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 12:23 AM   #8
glachhman
Banned
15
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: '07 335i e90
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Yeah it sounds like you are getting a ton of wrong information.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
prowheelie92
Private
prowheelie92's Avatar
0
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@vargasturbotech View Post
It sounds like both parties are ignorant of turbocharger operation, there is no O-ring in the let that will keep oil in. Also seeing some small amounts of oil in the inlet tract, or the charge piping can be normal depending on the current state of your motor, how much crankcase pressure it sees, the PCV system health. There are many factors that can cause oil in both the intets and charge pipe tracts. Also turbos do not use a positive seal, they use piston rings, which are inherently going to leak small amounts of oil past them, the compressor is creating a very heavy suction on the inlet side of the turbo, this can and does such small amount of oil past the compressor side piston ring, and gets distributed in the inlet, and charge pipe tracts. While you can see some, you should not see tons, BUT if this is the only rear turbo, and the PCV is stock, this could indicate a PCV issue.
Seems like its a good idea to get the upgrade the PCV that you and rb turbo sells along with cleaning out the ports in the valve cover. prob getting a oil catch can as well. but after all this is said it done, how can i still be sure it wasnt the turbo that was leaking oil?
__________________
Sold: CBR 600 F4i, 1991 BMW 323ci
Garage: E90 335I, E39 m5
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
MiniXP
Lieutenant
MiniXP's Avatar
11
Rep
533
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Do you know exactly where the turbo is leaking from? Could it be coming from one of the oil lines on the turbo? I believe that is fairly common and you can just get an oring or replace the line.
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic228641_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
007_e350
Major
007_e350's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,292
Posts

Drives: 335i 2008 JB4'd / x5d E70
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

I had that too and I just put an O-ring ontop of that and screwed it in as tight as I could, never had oil drippin again

Note: it happens if you take intake out and wiggle it a lot, the turbo inlet pipes are just pushed in, nothing holds them in place except two bolts far away from the inlet port
__________________
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, Alpina B3 Flash Tunes: JB4 G5 : OFT : Cobb V2 (Sold) DIYs: VCG : OF&CG : Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
prowheelie92
Private
prowheelie92's Avatar
0
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
Do you know exactly where the turbo is leaking from? Could it be coming from one of the oil lines on the turbo? I believe that is fairly common and you can just get an oring or replace the line.
it was leaking right at the inlet of the rear turbo. i asked about the other turbo and they said they dont know as they can see it. is it possible to replace the line without taking off downpipes? at first im going to take care of the pcv issue with pcv upgrade and the catch can. then see if theres any oil build up after fixing pcv.
__________________
Sold: CBR 600 F4i, 1991 BMW 323ci
Garage: E90 335I, E39 m5
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST