E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer damaged my car - Thoughts

02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #23
sn0wwhite335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i MSPORT.

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I'm wondering why the fact that a customer "gave up" arguing after two days definitively shows that he was full of sh*t... There are many people that aren't that keen on extended arguments about a taillight, and many people whose time is easily worth $1000/day or much more.
you have to understand the whole situation. if you are sure something wasnt your fault you would fight it stronger than this gentleman did. he obviously knew he was at fault and just tried placing blame on us so we would pick up the tab. no letters or emails were written, no more than 3 or 4 phone calls were placed, epecially considering the car was purchased only 2 months earlier from us (he should have been extremely heated) If you truly believe something, you display that in your actions/words, this guy didnt. That is why i advised the OP to keep his argument consistent and get whomevers attention he can. it will make a difference.

'10 e92 335i m-sport; AW/Blk | ZPP | ZCW | NAV | Alarm | Logic7
19' 225s | JB+ | BMS DCI | CF TRiM | OEM PERF SHIFT/EBRAKE KIT

sold: 07 e92 328xi & 07 e90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #24
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
I'm wondering why the fact that a customer "gave up" arguing after two days definitively shows that he was full of sh*t... There are many people that aren't that keen on extended arguments about a taillight, and many people whose time is easily worth $1000/day or much more.
Agreed. Time is money, and I'm not willing to waste much time over a $100 item either. (5 minutes on the phone maybe?) However, if the damage truly was your dealership's fault, I'd avoid throwing any future business your way.
      02-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #25
FLA 335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i (SOLD) !!!!!

Braman messed up the paint on my car, scratched EVERY panel when i went to pick up my car... i pointed this out to the porter that drove my car around and he said he doesn't know anything, to speak to someone inside (it was 7pm mostly everyone was gone)... i grabbed the the first person which had a tie on and walked him outside and said listen up buddy, your dealership just scratched my brand new car that has not been washed a single time since i purchased it... he asked me when i purchased it (i said look at the paper tag... less than 30 days)... i said please note this on my file, i want your name, and i want you to put it on paper that i made this complaint, i will be back tomorrow... next day at 7am i was in the managers office waiting for him to arrive and i spoke him... they played dumb (he said oh we don't wash cars here, im confused... i told him to quiet down, walk with me outside and look at the damage his car washing guy did)... during this time i was very professional and very persistent and had a witness as well as documentation to the matter they had NO choice but to fix it... of course they just wax the car cause they don't know any better, well i had to pay Dominic Sheer (independent detailer) couple hundred bucks but they car is now in showroom condition again...
      02-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, I'm still waiting for them to call me back... they said they would get back to me by noon (its 4PM now). Anyways, I just hope that the person responsible talks when he's questioned, whoever he is. If they say "no, you are lying" I'll just keep climbing up the ladder to the next person in charge.

Its so frustrating, like I said I just got it 2 months ago and it was in perfect condition before I dropped it off at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I had the same happen to my car as it was serviced.

Passenger door got damaged, but I didn't notice it till 2 days later (since I don't use passenger door)

SA totally denied doing the damage (ofcourse, what else is new). SM even lied to me saying they looked at security cam and saw nothing... but I know damage was done when car was test driven.

I eventually call BMWNA to resolve the problem... and instead of coming to some kind of settlement, I get a call back from Service Department and they tell me "Don't bring your car here anymore, we are not going to service it" That's it.

I had to fix the door myself. Dealer won, I lost. Since this dealer services over 200 cars every day, to them kicking me out was not any loss at all. Sad story... and I bought this '07 335i from them...

Whatever happens, don't call BMWNA, it is a useless joke. They have no power over dealer (unless it is a warranty issue)... it is true BMWNA rep told me that herself.

Instead, turn your case around into a positive one... there is no other way of winning with them.

Stay away from BMW of Manhattan.

Last edited by dimabimmer; 02-25-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #28
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

A walk around is always a good idea, but the dealership should be walking around the car with you, pen and pad in hand with a diagram of your car, marking out any damage on the vehicle prior to taking it in.... In fact, you should insist that they do so because like the OP said, it comes down to your word, against theirs.

This happened to me after a wash, after i asked them DIRECTLY, in store, NOT to wash it... it came back scratched to shit!!! They did offer to fix it, so that was a kind offer, but it was recommended that i shouldnt let in house detailers give it a shot...so i paid to have it done on my own. BMW wouldnt help me out with the costs.

The sad thing is, you went with BMW for a reason...their customer service should be 5 star, just like their vehicles.

I hope you get compensated. I hate being anal about my car, many think im too particular about it sometimes, but the truth is...nobody gives a shit about your car, other than you. so sometimes it means going that extra mile to ensure your vehicles safety
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #29
FLA 335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i (SOLD) !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
A walk around is always a good idea, but the dealership should be walking around the car with you, pen and pad in hand with a diagram of your car, marking out any damage on the vehicle prior to taking it in.... In fact, you should insist that they do so because like the OP said, it comes down to your word, against theirs.

This happened to me after a wash, after i asked them DIRECTLY, in store, NOT to wash it... it came back scratched to shit!!! They did offer to fix it, so that was a kind offer, but it was recommended that i shouldnt let in house detailers give it a shot...so i paid to have it done on my own. BMW wouldnt help me out with the costs.

The sad thing is, you went with BMW for a reason...their customer service should be 5 star, just like their vehicles.

I hope you get compensated. I hate being anal about my car, many think im too particular about it sometimes, but the truth is...nobody gives a shit about your car, other than you. so sometimes it means going that extra mile to ensure your vehicles safety
because they AREN'T paying the 500-1000 dollars a month to drive these cars... WE are!!! that's where the problem begins...
      02-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
+1. -no time for that crap.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #31
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA 335 View Post
because they AREN'T paying the 500-1000 dollars a month to drive these cars... WE are!!! that's where the problem begins...
oooooooooook, and the fact that we are paying 5oo to 1ooo dollars a month to drive these cars

Lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #32
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wwhite335 View Post
you have to understand the whole situation. if you are sure something wasnt your fault you would fight it stronger than this gentleman did. he obviously knew he was at fault and just tried placing blame on us so we would pick up the tab. no letters or emails were written, no more than 3 or 4 phone calls were placed, epecially considering the car was purchased only 2 months earlier from us (he should have been extremely heated) If you truly believe something, you display that in your actions/words, this guy didnt. That is why i advised the OP to keep his argument consistent and get whomevers attention he can. it will make a difference.
Perhaps, but people react differently to similiar situations. 3 - 4 calls seems like more than enough effort to get a dealership to fix a broken tail light. How much more effort would you have expected to get from this individual before you believed his story? And is getting your recent customers to the position of becoming "extremely heated" standard operating procedure? Maybe the guy was trying to pull one over on your dealership, but I can assure you that plenty of honest customers would have stopped calling after 3 or 4 calls.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #33
sn0wwhite335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i MSPORT.

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgman View Post
Perhaps, but people react differently to similiar situations. 3 - 4 calls seems like more than enough effort to get a dealership to fix a broken tail light. How much more effort would you have expected to get from this individual before you believed his story? And is getting your recent customers to the position of becoming "extremely heated" standard operating procedure? Maybe the guy was trying to pull one over on your dealership, but I can assure you that plenty of honest customers would have stopped calling after 3 or 4 calls.
we decided we would take the guy seriously if he was willing to set something up to come by and show us the damage. he didnt.... he has since been back for services (which really proves he was bullshitting) ... And no it is not our intention to get any of our customers heated .. we are actually the complete opposite (having the 2nd best CSI in the region for several straight months now).. but being taken advantage of is not on our to-do list. it becomes easy to read people when you deal with your customer everyday.

'10 e92 335i m-sport; AW/Blk | ZPP | ZCW | NAV | Alarm | Logic7
19' 225s | JB+ | BMS DCI | CF TRiM | OEM PERF SHIFT/EBRAKE KIT

sold: 07 e92 328xi & 07 e90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #34
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

My dealer and I look over the car when I drop it off and we sign a form where we both agree where damage (if any) exists. When I pick my car up I look it over before leaving.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #35
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

that sux...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #36
goowatchi
Chairman of the Board.
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Unless you witnessed it happen and have adequate proof of it happening at the dealership, there's no way a dealer would believe/compensate for the damage... especially since you drove off the dealer lot before making the complaint. With that said, good luck and I hope your dealership practices excellent customer service.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #37
RUS0628
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Agreed.
      02-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #38
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

... here is my thought,

http://www.viddler.com/explore/failblog/videos/458/
      03-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #39
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

Update 3/8/10

Okay, so the Service Manager questioned the Tech that replaced the fuel pump and also talked to the kid that delivered the car to me that afternoon and none of them admitted to any of the damage on the car.

The service manager offered to pay 50% of the total cost of the repairs, I agreed making it clear that I was only agreeing because I wanted my car back! (It had been almost 2 weeks already). I wrote an email to the person above the Service Manager and I'm still waiting for a response.

So... I got the car back today. I had to pay $300 for the alignment, wheel repair and side skirt paint. total was $600. I think I'm still going to write the general manager and maybe file a complain with the BBB. I just want to make it clear that I wasn't making it up and that they did damage my car and now I have a repaired wheel, painted sideskirt and $300 less on the bank.

Anyways I am happy that I got the car back! Here is pic of it:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #40
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

That totally stinks that you had to even pay a penny. I feel your frustration. But, I guess in this case, where you couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was their fault, $300 is not the end of the world. You got your car back and it's running fine and the skirts are like new. Still s*#ks, but could've been worse I guess (ie, you having to pay the full amount).

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #41
TWSnow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I xDrive coupe

Wright a letter to head quarters!!!!
      09-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
psubmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wwhite335 View Post
im a service advisor. we have had this happen at my dealership on maybe one or two times. your best bet is to stick with your story and be consistent. it shows that your not lying. I had some guy come in here and argue that we broke his taillight. after a day or two of back and forth he finally gave up, which showed us that he was full of shit. just be persistent and nag the shit out of them.

youll get somewhere, hopefully. good luck & sorry !!
You're right on sn0wwhite335.

Unfortunately, yesterday I picked up my 2011 335i for a routine brake flush, wipers, and hvac filter. When I picked it up, everything looked ok. I got a quarter mile down the road and looked over at the passenger door panel, immediately notice a slice in the panel.

I took it back and told the guy what happened, and also found 2 other places that were damaged inside. The car was also fairly clean when I dropped it off. I didn't ask them to wash it, and when I picked it up, there was a big greasy smear all over the passenger side of the windshield.

I asked the guy why someone would have been in the passenger seat and he, of course, couldn't think of a reason. He then said that maybe they could repair the door panel. I told him that is not fair; I don't want a repaired panel when I didn't do the damage.

The other two spots are less noticeable, but I just can not get over the fact that this stuff happens at a BMW dealership. One of the reasons I bought a BMW was so that I didn't have to deal with issues like this from dealerships of less expensive cars.

Anyway, the SA said he'd talk to the manager and that it all sounds odd. I agreed. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #43
DetectiveLoki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

If I remember right, whenever you take your car into BMW dealership, they do a walk-around your car and inspect for dents, and make you sign the paper. Did your dealership do that? If they did, then there's your proof. However, since you drove off and went home, did you take any picture of it? Since they closed, you could've taken a picture of the car and have the date/time watermark in the photo (it helps to some degree).

If you take it to court, you have the burden of proof. Make sure your story is consistent. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #44
psubmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveLoki View Post
If I remember right, whenever you take your car into BMW dealership, they do a walk-around your car and inspect for dents, and make you sign the paper. Did your dealership do that? If they did, then there's your proof. However, since you drove off and went home, did you take any picture of it? Since they closed, you could've taken a picture of the car and have the date/time watermark in the photo (it helps to some degree).

If you take it to court, you have the burden of proof. Make sure your story is consistent. Good luck!
If your response is to me, yes, they did a walk around. Yes I signed the form that said that nothing was wrong. I did not drive home, but I did drive off the lot. I got a quarter mile down the road, saw the mark, and immediately returned to the dealership.
Appreciate 0