E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod permanently on the glove compartment?

11-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
lecatrache
Five Star General

Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
iPod permanently on the glove compartment?

Since my new iPod interface was installed, I keep my iPod in my glove compartment almost permanently. I actually bought the 80MB iPod just for my car, and when I travel overseas (about 3 times per month).

I just noticed the iPod screen is always on when the iPod is in the glove compartment, even if the car is off.

Will the car's battery drain because of this?
Will the iPod's screen be damaged?

I'd like to find a way to make the screen go off while the iPod is connected, but I don't have a clue as to how or if it's possible at all.
lecatrache is offline   United_States
      11-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
whippersnapper
Captain

Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I wouldn't leave it in. I have a mini in my center console and it gets way too hot if left in the car, enough for the LCD display to distort. So now it goes in my pocket up to my office each day
      11-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
tirana
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 335i 6MT MS + F25 35i AT

If you are going to leave the car for more than a few days, then simply disconnect the adaptor from the ipod (just squeeze the plug on each side and it releases. Li+ ion batteries will fail if they get too hot or too cold so its best not to leave the iPod in the car on hot days (its not like you are going to encounter the deep freeze in FL....).

BTW, the power draw on the car's battery is almost insignificant but you could also go into the Settings menu on the iPod and set the backlight timer to "off". I also bought an 80 Gb iPod for the car. That's a lotta songs
tirana is offline   Canada