E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wavetrac Differentials vs. Quaife ATB Differential for RWD 335i

View Poll Results: Wavetrac Differential or Quaife ATB Differential
Wavetrac LSD Differential 67 45.58%
Quaife ATB LSD Differential 73 49.66%
Other... 7 4.76%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

03-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #67
Belarus
Brigadier General

Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
You can purchase a complete Quaife or Wavetrac Final Drive, then have a local shop install it. Return the core for a credit. You are done!
Yes, I'm aware of that option, however would like to avoid paying the premium with going that route, plus I live in Canada so shipping a whole differential across the board and etc. will be a killer.... vs. finding a reputable shop with CNC equipment that will be able to do the conversion by separating a welded ring gear from the stock, machine it and drill it to allow bolt mounting to a new Wavetrac or Quaife...

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Belarus is offline   Canada
      03-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #68
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General

Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
. Except in my case I have a welded ring so I'm SOL and will need to use a shop...
I have a welded ring as well.
      03-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #69
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that option, however would like to avoid paying the premium with going that route, plus I live in Canada so shipping a whole differential across the board and etc. will be a killer.... vs. finding a reputable shop with CNC equipment that will be able to do the conversion by separating a welded ring gear from the stock, machine it and drill it to allow bolt mounting to a new Wavetrac or Quaife...
Be ready to spend $700-1000 for the machine process. You may have to destroy a final drive or two to get the process just right.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
      03-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #70
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 1M Coupe

or buy a ring gear from Diffsonline which you attach to the Quaife or Wavetrac so you do not need to dismantel the welded gearring. This is probably the cheapest / savest solution.
      03-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #71
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Be ready to spend $700-1000 for the machine process. You may have to destroy a final drive or two to get the process just right.
Sounds like I have a bolted one based on double checking you've done... So now I have to wait when Wavetrac will have LSD in production for my month/year 335i make....

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
      03-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #72
dmi3rus

Drives: e92 335i

Question

Quote:
Any lack getting resolution ?

Have you spoken to WaveTrac customer support and/or the shop that did installation for you ?
I got my diff installed at Bird's (one of the top bmw tuners in the UK I believe). It was their first Wavetrac install, but I doubt installation is an issue for them since they are Quaife's authorised dealer in the UK and installed hundreds probably.
They did mention the noise during the handover but said they've never had this with Quaife. The diff does seem to work fine: in the wet traction is a lot better and with traction control off both wheels spin at the same time.

I guess I should just write to Wavetrac and ask them about the problem. It's not a major nuisance, but I would still obviously not have it at all.

I will post here if I find out what the issue is.
      03-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #73
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmi3rus View Post

I guess I should just write to Wavetrac and ask them about the problem. It's not a major nuisance, but I would still obviously not have it at all.

I will post here if I find out what the issue is.
That's certainly would be my next step, unless you bought yours from one of the forum Sponsor Vendors, then I would include them also. Considering how finicky I'm about my cars, I certainly would be chasing after getting an answer and resolution.

Please do keep us posted, I certainly would love to hear from another forum member on their experience dealing with Wavetrac customer service and/or technical support.... Wish you all the best to get it resolved

03-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #74
creaminz
Major General

Drives: E90 LCI

looks like Wavetrac LSD isn't available for 07+ build AT 335i
creaminz is offline   United_States
      03-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #75
Topless 335i
Captain

Drives: AW E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
Not yet but they're looking for a test car. I'm probably just gonna go with quaife.
Topless 335i is offline   Armenia
      03-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #76
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
From what's been communicated it's in testing and will be available for production in 2-3 weeks...

Last edited by Belarus; 03-26-2010 at 04:09 AM.
      03-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #77
mid-corner fun
Major

Drives: e92

Quote:
Yes, it is. I'm getting a Wavetrac installed on my 07+ e92 next week.

While Wavetrac does not yet sell a "kit" for 07+ cars, there are shops that can prebuild modified diffs with existing Wavetrac kits for you (i.e. new core). You get credit back for the core once they get your old one off your car.

Last edited by mid-corner fun; 03-23-2010 at 11:40 PM.
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
      03-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #78
creaminz
Major General

okay so it will be available in two weeks...that's nice. So what's total otd for wavetrac installed? what's the down time? few hours? few days? or few weeks??
      03-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #79
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
okay so it will be available in two weeks...that's nice. So what's total otd for wavetrac installed? what's the down time? few hours? few days? or few weeks??
Into which production year does your 335i falls into ?

Information I've received and understood:

All 335i models built up to 3/2007 have bolted differential

335i with M/T built after 3/2007 have welded differential and Wavetrac does have install "KIT" available

335i with A/T built between 3/2007 and 9/2007 have welded differential and Wavetrac does have install "KIT" available

All 335i A/T built after 9/2007 have bolted differential with Wavetrac slated for release in May/June of this year.

If anyone has different information please jump in....

03-27-2010, 04:31 AM   #80
creaminz
Major General

Quote:
Into which production year does your 335i falls into ?

Information I've received and understood:

All 335i models built up to 3/2007 have bolted differential

335i with M/T built after 3/2007 have welded differential and Wavetrac does have install "KIT" available

335i with A/T built between 3/2007 and 9/2007 have welded differential and Wavetrac does have install "KIT" available

All 335i A/T built after 9/2007 have bolted differential with Wavetrac slated for release in May/June of this year.

If anyone has different information please jump in....
built after 9/2007.
      03-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #81
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
built after 9/2007.
AT or MT ?

03-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #82
creaminz
Major General

Quote:
AT or MT ?
AT!
      03-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #83
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
AT!
Look on the bright side at least you don't have the headache of welded differential...

Any reputable shop should be able to do the swap, back-lash tuning and etc. in 3-4 hours.

Since you live in California and don't really have to worry about snow and ice you do have an option of Quaife LSD that's available for post 09/2007 335i production models. Can't go wrong with it but it's $200+ more expensive...

03-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #84
creaminz
Major General

Oh so welded diff only apply to MT? Damn why did I think I have welded diff all this time lol okay that's a good news!
      03-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #85
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
Oh so welded diff only apply to MT? Damn why did I think I have welded diff all this time lol okay that's a good news!
Looks that way...except for 335i with A/T built between 3/2007 and 9/2007

03-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #86
fluidkaos
It's like Chaos, only smoother.

Drives: like a madman.

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [4.87]
Seems to me that the choice between Wavetrac and Quaife is down to personal preference. The "open diff" when one wheel in the air argument in favor of the Wavetrac is a null point for most of us. We will never have one wheel in the air. If you do, you'll probably be worrying about more things than "Is my LSD acting as an open diff?" like "Oh, @#$%!! Tree!" Not to mention that the video with one wheel jacked off the ground, really just showed one wheel spinning, and the car moving 5 feet. I'm sure you could do the same thing with a Quaife, and a little light brake modulation. Which is, by the way, the recommended way to regain traction with one or more wheels in the air for most off-roading vehicles. I know we don't do any off-roading in a 3 series, but the point is the same; light brakes = more traction in an open diff situation. Just a little tap. That said, I haven't decided which one I want for my 335.
      03-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #87
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance

Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
I got my Quaife before Wavetracs were available. If I had to do it over again, I would still buy the Quaife.

This time, I avoided the temptation (and my normal inclination) of becoming an early adopter of new things and new technology...until things shake out and the product proves itself over time through documentation of its capabilities.

Quaife, with its lifetime warranty and proven, documented performance, seemed the right match, and once installed, met all my performance expectations. Not only does it make my ride a better handler, it has become a primary must-have for safety reasons.

Unless you plan to rally your precious, flying over undulating roads like Steve McQueen in the movie, "Bullitt," a Quaife will do just fine. I'm not knocking Wavetrac, but the Wavetrac $200 difference in savings is minor compared to a Quaife product with a "track" record.

No doubt, Wavetrac will soon have a baseline of experiences in no time, but I also want to enjoy my ride maintenance-free, which is a side benefit of the "plug-n-play" nature of the Quaife. No need for a mechanical break-in period--Break-in period is really for the driver to get adjusted to the new dynamics of the car.

I also own a M-B E350 4MATIC, so I can appreciate the drifting nature of my new Quaife-induced stealth sedan beast. Turn off the nanny controls and you have a 21st century equivalent of the positraction-equipped muscle cars of the 1960-70s era, albeit with much better handling characteristics inherent within our 3-Series. No use having all that muscle without the ability to put the power to the pavement. For example, the stock Corvettes and Vipers possess TREMENDOUS straight-line POWER, but try tracking them...reality is not a straight road...all the time....nor do we lift our rear legs...all the time...driving the streets of San Fran...unless you're Steve McQueen...driving like you stole it...in Baghdad...LOL

BMWCCA Member # 414198 Slightly Modded|e90|SGM|6MT|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|Blackline |219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix|AR Catted|Cobb
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
flip4335 is offline   United_States
      03-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #88
Belarus
Brigadier General

Garage List
Great input. My main biases towards Wavetrac is certainly not for it ability to handle situations of me lifting my rear wheel nor do I see it even possible with 4000lbs Vert, unless I do completely something stupid.

However I do drive it all year round almost daily and live in a climate where we do get good amount of snow and ice during winter. The ability of Wavetrac to handle zero traction condition and minimize my risk of getting stack or going up the hill during the winter gives me that additional piece of mind and value add towards upgrading my e-diff. If it wasn't for the climate I drive in I would pull the trigger on Quaife with its solid reputation and history, and avoid the current non availability of Wavetrac and risk associated with a new product.

Also based on the pricing I've been able to find, I'm looking at over $300 in savings when Wavetrac LSD becomes available for my production month and year.