E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Anyone get LoJack?

11-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #23
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92M CP SG; 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwhite330i
Why wouldn't you fill out the police report immediately and call the number immediately?

I'm not sure how you're expecting to find the car any faster, short of installing your own GPS tracking device on the car. Police will be much more efficient at finding your vehicle than you alone, and I'm sure the police wouldn't help you out until you fill out a police report, anyway.

There's also the argument that nobody would want a stolen car back ANYWAY by using LoJack, but that's a totally different argument all-together.
What if your car is stolen 5 minutes after you park it for the night and you don't know it's stolen for another 8-12 hours? I thought that LoJack was activated if someone broke into your car... If it isn't, then it does seem like the BMW assist would be a redundant system. Except for the issue of parking garages...
      11-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #24
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch
What if your car is stolen 5 minutes after you park it for the night and you don't know it's stolen for another 8-12 hours? I thought that LoJack was activated if someone broke into your car... If it isn't, then it does seem like the BMW assist would be a redundant system. Except for the issue of parking garages...
If you get lojack with the early warning system. The secound your car moves they contact you... email phone... etc and can also contact someone else if you arent reachable. If you did not move the car the police will be contacted. So if your car is stolen 5 min after you park it... you will be called almost immediately to verify you didnt move it - if you didnt the police will be called. So by 10 min after you park it the police are on the chace.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #25
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat
If you get lojack with the early warning system. The secound your car moves they contact you... email phone... etc and can also contact someone else if you arent reachable. If you did not move the car the police will be contacted. So if your car is stolen 5 min after you park it... you will be called almost immediately to verify you didnt move it - if you didnt the police will be called. So by 10 min after you park it the police are on the chace.
Thank you... That's how I thought it worked. Then the problem with BMW assist is that you have to actually know your car is stolen first... Both at work and home, I park in a parking garage and it could be many hours before I knew it was gone.
      11-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #26
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch
Thank you... That's how I thought it worked. Then the problem with BMW assist is that you have to actually know your car is stolen first... Both at work and home, I park in a parking garage and it could be many hours before I knew it was gone.
Same here. I think the early warning is great. You can be out of town and if your car is stolen they can still recover it. With BMW assist if your out of town and your car gets stolen... your SOL till you get back.

Mat
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #27
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl323
This might be off topic but I'm wondering if it's necessary to get a vehical recovery system since newer BMW's (with 128 bits encryption) are hard to start without the key?
I think that the blinking red light of the alarm will probably ward off the casual dirt bag looking for a stereo or something. I think professional thieves likely know that a BMW is difficult to steal and depending on their skills, would just leave it alone and opt for the car next door. But, if someone is skillful and the market is right for your car's parts, they'll get your car no matter what you have in it. The question is, do I really want my car back if someone steals it?