E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Steps to import a car from the USA.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #67
BavFan_08
Dreamer
 
BavFan_08's Avatar
 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

Posts: 823
iTrader: (2)

As the other poster said, you do not need to worry about the instrument cluster any more. Also, you can modify the DRLs yourself or get someone else to do it with out voiding warranty. There are instructions somewhere in the forum on getting it done.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrich View Post
This is a great write-up, thanks!

I contacted BMW Canada about the warranty, as I may be relocating to Canada and I want to know about the warranty situation if I bring up a BMW. They claim that the warranty will be void if I don't go through the BMW Canada dealers to have the instrument cluster and DRL changed out! Altogether that would cost CDN $2,500!!! Isn't that ridiculous?!

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/general/import/content.html

The BMW Canada webpage above actually did not specifically say that the warranty will be void but then the e-mail response I got from BMW Canada stated that:

1. The New Car Limited Warranty of 4 years, 80 000kms is honoured in Canada as long as you follow the BMW Import Process which can be found at www.BMW.ca/import .

2. The modifications for your vehicle can be obtained through one of our BMW Retailers in Canada if you speak to the Service Department

3. You will need a Recall Clearance Letter which can also be obtained through one of our BMW Retailers in Canada.
BavFan_08 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #68
dpwr
Captain
 
Drives: a good one
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 853
iTrader: (0)

is there a list of german cars/suvs that are made in north america?
dpwr is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #69
BRAISKI
Colonel
 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
This is the best time to buy a new car in the US and import it here....
BRAISKI is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #70
e90_guy
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, BC

Posts: 158
iTrader: (1)

I've a US e90 and there is no problem with warranty service. I had o2 sensor and fuel injector repair recently. The only thing you won't get is free maintenance services like oil change or brake flush.
e90_guy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #71
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrich View Post
This is a great write-up, thanks!

I contacted BMW Canada about the warranty, as I may be relocating to Canada and I want to know about the warranty situation if I bring up a BMW. They claim that the warranty will be void if I don't go through the BMW Canada dealers to have the instrument cluster and DRL changed out! Altogether that would cost CDN $2,500!!! Isn't that ridiculous?!

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/general/import/content.html

The BMW Canada webpage above actually did not specifically say that the warranty will be void but then the e-mail response I got from BMW Canada stated that:

1. The New Car Limited Warranty of 4 years, 80 000kms is honoured in Canada as long as you follow the BMW Import Process which can be found at www.BMW.ca/import .

2. The modifications for your vehicle can be obtained through one of our BMW Retailers in Canada if you speak to the Service Department

3. You will need a Recall Clearance Letter which can also be obtained through one of our BMW Retailers in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_guy View Post
I've a US e90 and there is no problem with warranty service. I had o2 sensor and fuel injector repair recently. The only thing you won't get is free maintenance services like oil change or brake flush.
That's what I had thought. I'm pretty sure the warranty is covered. The BMW Canada or the CDN dealerships may just give you a hard time beforehand because they want the business of you coming in and changing your cluster it seems, but I'm pretty sure the warranty should still be covered, but not the free services.
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #72
BavFan_08
Dreamer
 
BavFan_08's Avatar
 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

Posts: 823
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
is there a list of german cars/suvs that are made in north america?
BMW X3s and X5s are made in North America. I don't believe any Audi's are made here...they may use the same chasis' as the VWs but those VWs are made in Mexico (Golf, Rabbit, jettas)...except for the VW Passats which are made in Germany I believe....remember anything with a VIN starting with 1 or 2 is North America...W vins are made in Germany...do the research or wiki it..there are tonnes of VIN # guides out there.
BavFan_08 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #73
virk007
Captain
 
virk007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 636
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
Hey, i'm from Toronto, ontario, currently looking for a 335i coupe or sedan or a 328i coupe, do you guys know what states would have them the cheapest? Saw a couple 335s in chicago area going for $26000-28000 USD with 60-70 000 km is that a good price? If i don't care about transferring the warranty to BMW canada do i have do any of the mods or If i do want to transfer warranty do i really have to pay $2500+ for a cluster change? Thanks
virk007 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #74
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
Hey, i'm from Toronto, ontario, currently looking for a 335i coupe or sedan or a 328i coupe, do you guys know what states would have them the cheapest? Saw a couple 335s in chicago area going for $26000-28000 USD with 60-70 000 km is that a good price? If i don't care about transferring the warranty to BMW canada do i have do any of the mods or If i do want to transfer warranty do i really have to pay $2500+ for a cluster change? Thanks
I have a question for you first: did you actually read any of the thread?

jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #75
virk007
Captain
 
virk007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 636
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
yeah i read the thread, looks like you got through without having to change the cluster, but i read many posts that people had to change the cluster no matter what? Is there particular dealerships i should go to when i come back with my imported car? Do i still need a recall letter even if i don't want my warranty to transfer? I read another forum to by pass bmw fees, is it true?

1. Ask the seller to obtain the Warranty Vehicle Inquiry report from their BMW dealership in the US. This is a screen capture that also shows if any recalls are outstanding on the vehicle.

2. Submit this report to recall@riv.ca and have them review it and if okay, approve it.

3. Have the DRLs activated in the US! Folks, this is the one that gets most BMW importers. Most people are just happy to get the recall printout that they forget to ask for the DRL activation.

4. Take your vehicle to a Federal Inspection Center once you receive Form 2 from RIV and bypass BMW entirely.
virk007 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #76
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
yeah i read the thread, looks like you got through without having to change the cluster, but i read many posts that people had to change the cluster no matter what? Is there particular dealerships i should go to when i come back with my imported car? Do i still need a recall letter even if i don't want my warranty to transfer? I read another forum to by pass bmw fees, is it true?

1. Ask the seller to obtain the Warranty Vehicle Inquiry report from their BMW dealership in the US. This is a screen capture that also shows if any recalls are outstanding on the vehicle.

2. Submit this report to recall@riv.ca and have them review it and if okay, approve it.

3. Have the DRLs activated in the US! Folks, this is the one that gets most BMW importers. Most people are just happy to get the recall printout that they forget to ask for the DRL activation.

4. Take your vehicle to a Federal Inspection Center once you receive Form 2 from RIV and bypass BMW entirely.
you dont have to change the cluster. it's not the best pic, but here's a shot of my cluster. you will notice that the km is in small writing and miles are in big writing on the outside... i got used to it after a while.


1. exactly
2. correct
3. if you have iDrive, you can do it yourself. even if you don't, just do a search on the board or read the manual. it will tell you how to turn them on. remember, they only check this at the Federal Inspection Center (Canadian Tire)

Funny enough, I've had my car here since mid November and it hasnt seen a BMW dealer yet. I should take it in to one soon though.
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #77
virk007
Captain
 
virk007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 636
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
Thanks for the help. Yea the cluster won't bother me because i will be driving it in the Chicago area anyways for school, but just need to bring it back to get insurance and all that.
virk007 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #78
bulldog x6
Major General
 
Drives: x6 panzer
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: probably work

Posts: 5,017
iTrader: (28)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
Thanks for the help. Yea the cluster won't bother me because i will be driving it in the Chicago area anyways for school, but just need to bring it back to get insurance and all that.
Id pick up the car from a southern state, salt free and pick a jurisdiction with low taxes and a high degree of information available w/ respect to lemon laws, re-branded write-offs, etc..
bulldog x6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #79
tyrewt
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
Id pick up the car from a southern state, salt free and pick a jurisdiction with low taxes and a high degree of information available w/ respect to lemon laws, re-branded write-offs, etc..
I thought you didn't have to pay the tax on used cars in the USA. Or perhaps that's only in MN. If the state tax is say 5%, then tack on another 21% for PST/GST/Duties, it gets harder to justify.
tyrewt is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #80
BavFan_08
Dreamer
 
BavFan_08's Avatar
 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

Posts: 823
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
I thought you didn't have to pay the tax on used cars in the USA. Or perhaps that's only in MN. If the state tax is say 5%, then tack on another 21% for PST/GST/Duties, it gets harder to justify.
Some states in the US are worse then Canada...New York/New Jersey have taxes coming out of the wazzoo...especially bankrupt states like California...so yes you have to do your research.

The state of New Hampshire has ZERO taxes on NEW and USED vehicles. I believe its the same in the state of Oregon.
BavFan_08 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #81
virk007
Captain
 
virk007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 636
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
i'm scared to get the 335i coupe or sedan now i've been reading on the forums with alot of people having problems with it, such as the fuel pump, turbos overheating. How does the 328i coupe or sedan compare to it? In terms of speed?
virk007 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #82
tyrewt
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
i'm scared to get the 335i coupe or sedan now i've been reading on the forums with alot of people having problems with it, such as the fuel pump, turbos overheating. How does the 328i coupe or sedan compare to it? In terms of speed?
You need to pay better attention to the dates on posts. The fuel pump issue is no longer relevant, same goes for the oil cooler which was added to 2008 and older models.

I've got an 08 and no issues.
tyrewt is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #83
chenx15
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i/accord
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: yyz

Posts: 546
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
i'm scared to get the 335i coupe or sedan now i've been reading on the forums with alot of people having problems with it, such as the fuel pump, turbos overheating. How does the 328i coupe or sedan compare to it? In terms of speed?
you have to pay to play my friend. the hpfp is only a 500 dollar fix outside warranty. 328 vs 335 with regards to speed? 335i is faster and mroe fun. i mean tons of fun.
chenx15 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #84
virk007
Captain
 
virk007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 636
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
im looking at a 2007 335i sedan for $24 000-25000 USD, with only 40 000 KM, no navi, would you consider this price range a good price, or i could do better? So the 2007 335i shouldn't have a problem anymore?
virk007 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #85
tyrewt
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
im looking at a 2007 335i sedan for $24 000-25000 USD, with only 40 000 KM, no navi, would you consider this price range a good price, or i could do better? So the 2007 335i shouldn't have a problem anymore?
I give up trying to assist you, clearly you cannot read. You're still looking at $37,000 CDN (US Tax/GST/PST/Duties/Exchange rate) once all is said and done!

Ponder this. I'm selling my Canadian 2008 335i Coupe with 17,000 km, warranty and maintenance covered till 2012 in Canada. $41,900. Do the math.
tyrewt is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #86
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
You're still looking at $37,000 CDN (US Tax/GST/PST/Duties/Exchange rate) once all is said and done!
Hold on a second... I'm not understanding your mathematics here so let me try to break it up:

Car price in USD: $25,000
Exchange rate: 0.96

Car price in CDN: $26,041
Import duty(6.1%): $1,588
Excise tax: $100
---------------------------
Total before taxes: $27,729
GST: $1,386
PST: $2,091
=====================
Total after taxes: $31,206


If you look closely, you'll see I've been very conservative w/ virk007's scenario. I took the higher value even though he said $24,000 - $25,000. I also took an exchange rate of 0.96 when I'm sure he can probably do better right now.

How do you get $37,000?

The only thing I didn't add in there is the $205 RIV fee and the costs of transporting the car up, if any.
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #87
virk007
Captain
 
virk007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 636
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
Thanks jigga your calculation seems more accurate, the $37 000 just scared me. I called up an auction guy yesterday in toronto, he gave me a price range of 23-24000 CAD for a 328i coupe plus taxes, thats if i sacrifice not getting navi. Trying to decide if states would be a better route since i can get more options and variety with similar price range, just the hassle of going down there is the problem.
virk007 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #88
fxie
Private
 
fxie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 AW F31 M Sport, M Perform
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
Some states in the US are worse then Canada...New York/New Jersey have taxes coming out of the wazzoo...especially bankrupt states like California...so yes you have to do your research.

The state of New Hampshire has ZERO taxes on NEW and USED vehicles. I believe its the same in the state of Oregon.
Just a FYI, if you are purchasing a car in California and you are an out-of-state purchaser, you do NOT have to pay state tax. The only time the state tax is applied is if the car is used within the state after purchase. If you are simply purchasing the car for export, no state taxes apply to you.

Check this link for California laws: http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqex.htm
__________________
2014 Alpine White F31 M Sport | M Performance
fxie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST