E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Gauging interest: Groupbuy on SWS-8 subwoofers



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #45
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long absence in this thread. I was out of town for work.

The vendor contacted me and said that if we get 10 ppl in the GB, he'd sell them for $100 each plus $35 shipping and he would ship directly to each of us.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how much we'd pay in duties.

Your thoughts?
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #46
discoboy1
Major
 
discoboy1's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 1M VO
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (3)

how about 89US + 6$ shipping?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Earthquake-S...item19ba73f8db
__________________
2011 E82 1M VO
discoboy1 is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #47
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
actually i saw that right after posting but i'm a little skeptical. they've never been that cheap and $6 for international shipping? hmmmm.....
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #48
mathu.bala
First Lieutenant
 
mathu.bala's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 323i/6mt
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kirkland, WA

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 LCI 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Thanks I'm going to go with this. lol
__________________
2009 323i Titanium Silver Metallic: Premium Pkg(Heated SW, Bluetooth, Sunroof), USB
MFD Scoop,SWS-8,JL M6450
mathu.bala is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #49
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Lotus99's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
I always wonder how many of these things sold as new are really refurbished stuff they buy... It's the too good to be true saying that worries me...

I see on a couple of sites they sell for $140 US new...

Last edited by Lotus99; 03-22-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Lotus99 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #50
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Lotus99's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Hey Jigga, is your vendor an authorized vendor of these subs? You feel comfortable that this stuff he's selling is totally new and comes with mfr warranty?

I might be in if that's the case...

I can't remember how you choose between the 4 and 2 ohm subs. I think the older model cars should use 4 ohm? My car came with the LOGIC7 Sound System (11 speakers, including 2 subwoofers, 420 W amplifier, 7-band equalizer, and LOGIC7 signal processing with switchable surround modes). It's a 2008 335 convertible.

Also, there's models SWS-8 and SWS-8Xi. Which model and impedence should I get?

Last edited by Lotus99; 03-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Lotus99 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #51
Kit523
Major General
 
Kit523's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: B.C. Vancouver

Posts: 6,873
iTrader: (25)

sorry guys can you take me off the list because i decided to go with custom trunk subwoofer

good luck guys and sorry
Kit523 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #52
mathu.bala
First Lieutenant
 
mathu.bala's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 323i/6mt
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kirkland, WA

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 LCI 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
shipping is a price error: he says $19.95 per sub shipped by USPS.
__________________
2009 323i Titanium Silver Metallic: Premium Pkg(Heated SW, Bluetooth, Sunroof), USB
MFD Scoop,SWS-8,JL M6450
mathu.bala is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #53
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu.bala View Post
shipping is a price error: he says $19.95 per sub shipped by USPS.
are they brand new or refurb?
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #54
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I always wonder how many of these things sold as new are really refurbished stuff they buy... It's the too good to be true saying that worries me...

I see on a couple of sites they sell for $140 US new...

exactly. thats how much i see them selling for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Hey Jigga, is your vendor an authorized vendor of these subs? You feel comfortable that this stuff he's selling is totally new and comes with mfr warranty?

I might be in if that's the case...

I can't remember how you choose between the 4 and 2 ohm subs. I think the older model cars should use 4 ohm? My car came with the LOGIC7 Sound System (11 speakers, including 2 subwoofers, 420 W amplifier, 7-band equalizer, and LOGIC7 signal processing with switchable surround modes). It's a 2008 335 convertible.

Also, there's models SWS-8 and SWS-8Xi. Which model and impedence should I get?
as for the vendor, you can check out their web site: http://www.caraudiocraze.com/

i dont know if he's an authorized vendor but im pretty sure they are brand new and not refurb. he had told me that the 2 ohm versions were on national back order and as such they didnt have any stock between december and march. i actually emailed Earthquake myself and the sales rep confirmed that the 2 ohms were out of stock across the country... so my vendor is pretty legit.

the impedance you get depends on which amp u use and how u will wire everything. do a search and you will see lots of threads on this topic. i'm going to wire in stereo to an amp that i have and will use the 2 ohms.
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #55
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Lotus99's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga View Post
as for the vendor, you can check out their web site: http://www.caraudiocraze.com/

i dont know if he's an authorized vendor but im pretty sure they are brand new and not refurb. he had told me that the 2 ohm versions were on national back order and as such they didnt have any stock between december and march. i actually emailed Earthquake myself and the sales rep confirmed that the 2 ohms were out of stock across the country... so my vendor is pretty legit.

the impedance you get depends on which amp u use and how u will wire everything. do a search and you will see lots of threads on this topic. i'm going to wire in stereo to an amp that i have and will use the 2 ohms.
Thanks for the info. Since my post, I've read a dozen threads on them, but since I'm not a sound guy, I know very little. Technic, who is quite knowledgable on these (I've seen lots of his posts in those threads) was telling me to get the 4 ohms, that way I could (if I wanted) just hook them up without an amp even. Most people I thought were getting the 4 ohm ones with my setup?

Is there an advantage to the 2 ohms, if I'm going to be getting the amp too (in which case I can just get whatever will work with the 4 ohms).

Can you PM me the cost of the spacers too please.

EDIT: I just talked to Earthquake, and the guy said that Caraudiocraze isn't an authorized dealer. What he did say though, which was very interesting, is that he can sell it to us at $100, given the volume we're considering and we could buy direct from them! He can't ship straight to Canada though, so we'd have to buy thru their California distributor or the Canadian one.

Have you priced out what duty might be? I don't think they're made in the US. I wouldn't mind getting a quote from the Canadian distributor directly, who will build in the duty and shipping from US to him. Right now, we're paying $135 shipped to us, plus duty.

Last edited by Lotus99; 03-24-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Lotus99 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #56
e90TiAg335i
Captain
 
e90TiAg335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: jacksonville, FL

Posts: 969
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2010 e90 335i  [0.00]
I'm also interested in a group buy for both the subs and adapters.

As far as being authorized and warranty, how often do speakers actually fail without abuse and would $100 really kill ya? As long as Caraudiocraze will replace anything obviously damaged out of the box, I don't see a problem. However, if Earthquake will sell directly at the same cost, we might as well go with them. Just my 2cents
e90TiAg335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #57
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
EDIT: I just talked to Earthquake, and the guy said that Caraudiocraze isn't an authorized dealer. What he did say though, which was very interesting, is that he can sell it to us at $100, given the volume we're considering and we could buy direct from them! He can't ship straight to Canada though, so we'd have to buy thru their California distributor or the Canadian one.

Have you priced out what duty might be? I don't think they're made in the US. I wouldn't mind getting a quote from the Canadian distributor directly, who will build in the duty and shipping from US to him. Right now, we're paying $135 shipped to us, plus duty.

that's pretty much the same price as caraudiocraze.

who is the Canadian distributor that you speak of?

i have no clue what duty would be. it's gonna be one of those, let's order it, get it and then find out sort of things.

before trying to arrange this group buy, i was just going to buy from caraudiocraze as he was gonna sell to me for 120 each plus shipping to a friend in the US. I'm there fairly often so I woulda just picked them up and brought them back with me. i wouldnt have to pay duties either. maybe i should just do that, seeing as how a GB is going to end up being more expensive.
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #58
Kit523
Major General
 
Kit523's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: B.C. Vancouver

Posts: 6,873
iTrader: (25)

Duty is 6%
Kit523 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #59
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
Duty is 6%
yeah but don't forget there will also be GST to be paid on the full amount.
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #60
da1nonly
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 150
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I just talked to Earthquake, and the guy said that Caraudiocraze isn't an authorized dealer. What he did say though, which was very interesting, is that he can sell it to us at $100, given the volume we're considering and we could buy direct from them! He can't ship straight to Canada though, so we'd have to buy thru their California distributor or the Canadian one..
so who is this canadian distributor and why doesn't someone get a price from them so we can do this GB already?
da1nonly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #61
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1nonly View Post
so who is this canadian distributor and why doesn't someone get a price from them so we can do this GB already?
i dont know who it is. im wondering as well. lotus, any word?
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #62
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Lotus99's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Hey guys, sorry I've been busy the last few days.

This is what I have gathered so far:

I sourced an authorized dealer in LA, who based on rough pricing told me he'd sell them for $100 each (+ $5 for the 2 ohms) and about $15 - $20 in shipping. He sounded flexible as far as packaging and labelling of the boxes, to help with duty and taxes.

He quoted the shipping based on a single shipment weighing 40 pounds - roughly 8 speakers - so I guess you'd have to add shipping within Canada to that. I can't recall if I told him where I was, so if that shipping cost is independant of where they're going in Canada, then I guess we could pick the location with the most members, then someone there would ship the rest out.

I only got the CDN distributor's name today, and he wouldn't give me any prices - not even rough pricing - until I fill out a form and send it to him ("so he knows we're legit") and then he'd put his local dealer in touch with me to give me pricing...

Last edited by Lotus99; 03-30-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Oops - said it was $100 a pair, meant each
Lotus99 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #63
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Lotus99's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga View Post
yeah but don't forget there will also be GST to be paid on the full amount.
And I would expect PST too, on the imported value, unless you're lucky enough to be in AB.
Lotus99 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #64
jigga
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto

Posts: 321
iTrader: (1)

so guys, whats the verdict? seems like this group buy doesnt really benefit us if we end up having to pay duties and shipping versus going there and getting them ourselves from the US.
jigga is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #65
miniritz
Private
 
miniritz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 323i black
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ONTARIO, CANADA

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 323i  [0.00]
ah...

count me out.

just go grab yourself a set, but promise you'll let us hear your new setup when it's done!
__________________
miniritz is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #66
doctor_vino
Captain
 
Drives: really slowly
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 802
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Hey guys, sorry I've been busy the last few days.

This is what I have gathered so far:

I sourced an authorized dealer in LA, who based on rough pricing told me he'd sell them for $100 a pair (+ $5 for the 2 ohms) and about $15 - $20 in shipping. He sounded flexible as far as packaging and labelling of the boxes, to help with duty and taxes.

He quoted the shipping based on a single shipment weighing 40 pounds - roughly 8 speakers - so I guess you'd have to add shipping within Canada to that. I can't recall if I told him where I was, so if that shipping cost is independant of where they're going in Canada, then I guess we could pick the location with the most members, then someone there would ship the rest out.

I only got the CDN distributor's name today, and he wouldn't give me any prices - not even rough pricing - until I fill out a form and send it to him ("so he knows we're legit") and then he'd put his local dealer in touch with me to give me pricing...

Did i read that correctly? $100 for TWO subs?????
doctor_vino is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST