E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Gauging interest: Groupbuy on SWS-8 subwoofers

03-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #67
homieG
Captain

Drives: F

omg im soooooooooo down for this!
homieG is offline   Canada
      03-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #68
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_vino View Post
Did i read that correctly? $100 for TWO subs?????
DOH! Sorry, that's what I get for working til 11 PM and posting afterwards! $100 each...
Lotus99 is online now   Canada
      03-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #69
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga View Post
before trying to arrange this group buy, i was just going to buy from caraudiocraze as he was gonna sell to me for 120 each plus shipping to a friend in the US. I'm there fairly often so I woulda just picked them up and brought them back with me. i wouldnt have to pay duties either. maybe i should just do that, seeing as how a GB is going to end up being more expensive.
I'm guessing shipping on a pair within the US would be pretty cheap. If you don't stay at least 48 hours though, you're not technically going to be saving any duty and taxes... if you declare them of course...

So I'd say $120 each plus $10 in shipping might be $130, plus optional duty and taxes depending on what happens at the border, vs. the same cost if you bring them up via a GB ($100 + $30 shipping), plus most likely duty and taxes on a certain amount, depending on what the seller marks on the customs form as far as the declared value of the shipment goes (let's say the full value for argument's sake).
      03-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #70
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I only got the CDN distributor's name today, and he wouldn't give me any prices - not even rough pricing - until I fill out a form and send it to him ("so he knows we're legit") and then he'd put his local dealer in touch with me to give me pricing...
Today the local distributor called me, and said that they don't sell directly to end users, and we'd need to go thru a reseller of his. I haven't contacted the reseller, but their MSRP on these subs in Canada is $175 for the 4 ohms and $225 for the 2 ohm. So I don't know what we'd get off those prices as a discount, but I doubt it would be cheaper than going the US way, certainly not for the 2 ohms. Then there would be shipping within Canada on top.

There are local resellers in most of the major CDN cities he said, so if there's enough of you guys in one city, you may be better off negotiating directly with your reseller for your own group.
      03-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #71
jtsherri
Major

Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via ICQ to jtsherri Send a message via AIM to jtsherri Send a message via MSN to jtsherri Send a message via Yahoo to jtsherri
I originally bought mine on eBay. I offered a vendor $200 shipped for the set and they took it, no questions. A short while after, I blew both subs (at the fault of the amp, not the speakers) and they replaced them, again no questions. I did have to wait for them to be shipped back to the manufacture before they'd send out a new set, but still dealt with zero drama.

I'm sure if you contact them regarding both the price and warranty details a good deal can be arranged...
jtsherri is offline   United_States
      04-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #72
jigga
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 Alpine White e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Today the local distributor called me, and said that they don't sell directly to end users, and we'd need to go thru a reseller of his. I haven't contacted the reseller, but their MSRP on these subs in Canada is $175 for the 4 ohms and $225 for the 2 ohm. So I don't know what we'd get off those prices as a discount, but I doubt it would be cheaper than going the US way, certainly not for the 2 ohms. Then there would be shipping within Canada on top.

There are local resellers in most of the major CDN cities he said, so if there's enough of you guys in one city, you may be better off negotiating directly with your reseller for your own group.
lotus... so what do you think?

i'm all down for helping everyone and getting this groupbuy going, but it almost seems like we're not saving much.
jigga is offline   Canada
      04-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #73
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga View Post
lotus... so what do you think?

i'm all down for helping everyone and getting this groupbuy going, but it almost seems like we're not saving much.
OK, so to recap, this is where we're at. Let me know if I'm off on anything.

First of all, do we know how many of the 2 ohms and the 4 ohms people want? CDN pricing is quite different on the two, in the US they're either the same or like $5 different in GB pricing.

I've not priced in taxes, as you'd have to pay taxes on all options, unless you pick it up yourself across the border and decide not to declare it.

Your source needs 10 people to give you $100 each pricing plus $35 shipping (each I assume, not for a pair), and then we'd pay duty and brokerage on top. I'm leaving out taxes, as we'd have to pay them regardless of which option, though maybe a bit less if we're bringing them up - but let's leave that out. So that's 20 speakers and we don't have that many now I don't think anyway.

The CDN distributor's MSRP pricing seems out there, but I haven't tried to see what kind of discount we'd get if we buy let's say 6 pairs. If it was 15% off, like your guy, that would be $150 for the 4 ohm (which is ok compared to the US prices) but it'd be $190 for the 2 ohm.

The dealer I found in the US, who's willing to ship to CDA, quoted me around $100 +/- $5 for speakers, and $15 each for shipping, plus duty (I assume on a declared value of less than $100 though from what I understood ) and brokerage (is there brokerage still if you ship via USPS though?) and then shipping from my location (west coast) to whereever each person is. Or maybe he could break up the package into two, send one to me, and another to the Ontario guys. He quoted me IIRC on 5 pairs of speakers, so not as many as your requirement.

So we should see where everyone's at and go from there I think?

I'm leaving for a trip for 10 days though tomorrow, so any more research I might be able to do will be slower & limited, if you can bear with me.
      09-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #74
DimSum
Banned

Drives: SLOW

? What happened to this GB? Are we still getting our subs ?
DimSum is offline   Canada
      09-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #75
whn
Captain

Drives: Range Rover Sport

Is this GB still open? if so Im in.
Mods: Stage 3+, FULLY LOADED

Last edited by whn; 09-19-2010 at 02:25 PM.
whn is offline   Finland
      11-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #76
digitaldav
Private

Drives: 2009 335d

$$

Any update on pricing?