Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > spacer warning re track and auto X

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

11-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #23
shragon

Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog
So the 10mm RE spacer will likely to crack when put on an E90??
Please help, I just got my 10mm RE spacer. Should I return it?
from the looks of it, neither 10mm or 12mm spacers should be used on the e90.

i'm currently using the RE 12mm spacers. i think i'm going to swap them out for some RE 15mm spacers. hopefully my 12mm spacers aren't cracked.
      11-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #24
uhaulball
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 330xi

Send a message via AIM to uhaulball
question...

based on my understanding? i shouldnt use RE 10mm spacer in the front or back on my e90 correct?

Does it matter if im using different wheels, or is the "hub contour height" on the actual car, not the wheels. pardon my inexperience.
      11-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #25
shragon

Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan

the hub contour height is on the car itself. getagrip's measurements were 12 point something mm in the front and rear. if you read RE's disclaimer, then neither 10mm or 12mm spacers should be used.
      11-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #26
anidjare
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Le Mans E93 M3

What are the dangers of running the 12mm spacer?

If the spacer hubcentric cracks, what will happen to the wheel?

Will it just cause vibration, or is it possible for the wheel to become separated?

Has anyone confirmed that the e92 will not accomodate the 12mm spacers?

I have searched and found many threads of e90's running 12mm spacers for a long time with no problems, so wondering if rogue is just being cautious because the 10mm don't fit.

Any help appreciated.
      11-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #27
ward
Major General

Drives: F

if you don't track or autoX you may never notice the issue

my spacer cracked after 1 trackday, and the spacer cracking in that manner my also certainly lead to a wheel coming off.

there was a guy here or on bimmerfest that had a wheel come off due to an unknown brand of spacer ruining a wheel (fortunately that was it)
      11-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #28
AH
Major

Drives: E90 320i

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Wow, wheel come off due to spacers??? I was just thinking about ordering some custom made spacers from local shop in my city.... but I might change my mind.... the risk is so unbearable... might as well trade in my wheels for another with "better" offsets...
AH is offline   Indonesia
      11-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #29
BMW335TT
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Coupe

i have 15mm RE spacers on my e92!! I had them on my e90 for 1 whole year with no issues at all
      11-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #30
ward
Major General

Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335TT
i have 15mm RE spacers on my e92!! I had them on my e90 for 1 whole year with no issues at all
the problem is only with 10, 12 mm spacers, not the 15mm
      11-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #31
BMW335TT
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Coupe

i must tell my brother who is running 12mm RE spacers on the front of his e90 with the 18" m3 wheels. 15mm would prob look better as they still look to far tucked in
      11-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #32
anidjare
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Le Mans E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
if you don't track or autoX you may never notice the issue

my spacer cracked after 1 trackday, and the spacer cracking in that manner my also certainly lead to a wheel coming off.

there was a guy here or on bimmerfest that had a wheel come off due to an unknown brand of spacer ruining a wheel (fortunately that was it)
I gotta say this is not a risk I am willing to take. Its a shame but, even though I don't track my car, I am no sunday driver either.

11-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #33
freedomgli
Registered

Drives: 6er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
the spacer cracking in that manner my also certainly lead to a wheel coming off
Sure, but I believe the possibility is extremely remote. It appears from your picture that the hubcentric portion of the wheel spacer is what fractured. While I'm sure this was disappointing for you, it is not a great safety concern as the likelihood of the fracture propagating beyond the hubcentric ring is extremely remote. It is highly unlikely that this would result in an eventual wheel separation. There is no need for people to freak out about the safety of using wheel spacers for track/auto-x. However, I do hope everyone recognizes that high-performance driving puts added stress on components and that items like wheels and wheel mounting hardware like lug bolts should be treated as consumable items just like brake pads and shock absorbers and they should be regularly inspected and replaced when necessary.

The problem isn't with the wheel spacer itself, rather the fact that it was improperly used in an application that the manufacturer specifically warns users against. Yes, it would be great if Rogue would develop a database of make/model/my that have a hub contour height less than 11.5mm so I don't have to invest in a set of calipers myself. However, I also understand the challenge of creating such a database and the difficulty in maintaining it. The hub contour height may change depending on USA/Euro spec, mid-year changes made by BMW, the existence of other mods like BBK, etc. so I can understand why they want you to measure them yourself.

Also, just so everyone is clear, hubcentric rings are NOT necessary on the vast majority of vehicles. Have you ever looked at the lug bolts on your car? Do they have a tapered or conical seat? If yes, then they will center the wheel for you assuming you follow recommended practice for wheel installation. The hubcentric ring is handy because it helps support the wheel while you install the lug bolts but once the lug bolts are properly torqued the ring does nothing. The whole debate over lug centric vs. hub centric is really misleading. People get all confused about whether the weight of the vehicle is resting on the hub or the lugs, etc. In reality, whether you have hubcentric spacers/rings or not, the forces are transmitted back and forth between the road and the vehicle via the tire, wheel, and suspension. The wheel remains fixed to the suspension at the wheel hub via the clamping force (friction) provided by the lug bolts.

I know this is a very old thread but I hope this will help others who are searching the archives.
      12-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #34
nagge
Swedish user

Drives: 06' E90 330dA

So if I understood this correct, it's not possbile to use any spacer below 15mm on an E90? That would really suck since I was thinking about getting 5 or 10mm for the front :-/
      12-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #35
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.

Drives: 08' E70 X5, 12' E92 335is

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.88]
Send a message via MSN to yamazaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
So if I understood this correct, it's not possbile to use any spacer below 15mm on an E90? That would really suck since I was thinking about getting 5 or 10mm for the front :-/
To my understanding, that is true. Anything less than 15mm might cause the spacer to fail or crack. I had some 15mm RE spacers before and they work fine, no worries. In your case, you might wanna find another set of wheels with better offsets.....
      12-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #36
nagge
Swedish user

Drives: 06' E90 330dA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
To my understanding, that is true. Anything less than 15mm might cause the spacer to fail or crack. I had some 15mm RE spacers before and they work fine, no worries. In your case, you might wanna find another set of wheels with better offsets.....
Nah, finding another set of wheels isnt an option, besides 18x8 ET38 wont look too bad in front

Although the extra 5-10mm would make it perfect

I guess it's the same issue with the H&R Traks?
      12-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #37
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have news for the vendor who sold these to a customer knowing that the spacer did not fit---better change your web site asap and disallow any customer from purchasing these through your web site. If your site is enabled to allow the purchase, knowing the risk that the spacer could crack and result in a life-threatening situation, you have committed negligence under the laws in the U.S. You have a duty knowing there is such a real risk to ameliorate the danger by disallowing the purchase through your site. Otherwise, you had better put up all sorts of disclaimers relative to the vehicles on which these spacers do not fit. I hate giving free legal advice, but since this risk is pretty serious, I thought it worthwhile.
      12-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #38
pacman
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 325i

Send a message via Yahoo to pacman
wow!!!! i was thinking of getting 10mm spacers for the rear
thanks for bumping this old thread.