E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Permanent Torque Screen

02-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
Aqid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

DIY - Permanent Torque Screen

Hi all,

I had an extra Android tablet laying around (Nexus 7") that I only use for MHD flashing, nothing else. I also had an ELM327 ODB to bluetooth adapter laying around, and I figured, why not spend a little bit of time and make a permanent Torque screen out of it. Both of these items can be found on eBay for next to nothing. There were a few hoops I had to jump through so I figured I'd share the results with you. In this guide I assume you already have Torque installed and paired with your bluetooth adapter. If not, follow this guide first.

Mounting
I wanted to be able to look at it, without it blocking my view (I hate window mounts). I also wanted it to be out of sight, as I'm going to leave this in the car permanently. I ended up using a vent mount and placing it right underneath my iDrive screen. I can still access the DTC and hazards button by going over the tablet. The only thing I lost is that I can't see the temperature settings. No big deal for me, I'm kinda boring and have it set to a steady 72F year round. I got the vent mount here and looks like this mounted:

Boost offset
One of the stats I was excited about was boost. When I dug a little deeper I found out (like many of you already have) that the boost reading is not accurate. This is because our BMW's use two different stats for boost and do some magic calculation. Until MHD comes with logging over Bluetooth, I'll settle for the stat that Torque gives me. It needs some tweaking, after that the main thing is that it won't give you accurate boost stats while idling or when accelerating from idle. Once you get going it seems to be pretty accurate. For example, mine goes back to 0.0 when I drive and let go of the gas and hits 14 on WOT, which seems about accurate compared to MHD's logging.

In order to reach this offset I used my iPhone and an app called Barometer. I'm sure there is something similar for those with Android phones. Open Barometer and go to the Altimeter tab. Write down the Current pressure value, for me that is 11.6. Now open Torque on your tablet and go to your car profile (assuming you already have a car profile, if not, create one first). Go to Advanced Settings and under Boost Adjustment enter - <current pressure value>. So for me that's -11.6. Save everything and your boost value should be a little more accurate. I added the boost graph view, which I think is smoother and says more than the boost number gauge. Example:

Automating the tablet and the car
So there's a few things I tried to accomplish here, first of all I wanted the tablet to turn on and start Torque every time I start the car. Next I wanted to to close Torque and turn off every time I stopped the car. And last I wanted to tablet to go in Airplane mode when the car was turned off, both to conserve battery but also to disconnect the Bluetooth which will put the ELM adapter to sleep and won't drain you car's battery.

In order to accomplish all this I used a free Android app called Automate. I made sure that the tablet was connected to a car lighter -> USB charger. This causes the tablet to charge when the car is on, and not change when the car is off. We can use this as a trigger in Automate. Create the following flow in Automate:

What this essentially does is when it sees a charger connected - which means the car turned on - it will disable airplane mode, disable the screen lock, enable the screen and start the Torque app. When it sees that a charger is disconnected - which means the car turned off - it will do the opposite, turn airplane mode on, reenable screen lock, lock device and kill the torque app. Another setting we want is in the Torque settings under General Preferences -> Startup in dashboard. Set that one to Always go to dashboard, as we don't want to see the main screen of Torque when the app launches, we want to go straight to the dashboard. After all that is configured this will be the result:

For those who wonder which stat's I'm displaying, right now its RPM, boost, intake air temp, coolant temp, hp and torque. I might play around with these later and swap some of them.

I think that's about all the customization you have to do, enjoy your new permanent Torque display!

Last edited by Aqid; 02-15-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Nice write up; definitely gonna get that Automate app.

Quick question since I can't seem to find the answer. Will the Torque app read your AMBIENT Air Temps? Mine can read the IAT just fine (as yours is as well). However if I try to pull up Ambient; it wont give a reading. I know the sensor is good because it's reading fine on the dash and not displaying ungodly numbers that others have reported when their sensor was damaged or bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Aqid
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks I'll have to try that when I take my car out tonight, my dash reads it fine as well but I haven't tried the Torque one yet. I wanted oil temp in there too in a digital form, but that one didn't seem to work even though the dash one works.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
Tucker020
Private
Rep

Great...and I'll try oil temp on mine to see if I get same results. I don't leave again for another couple hours; but will post back with my results when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #5
Tucker020
Private
Rep

Yeah, I get no reading on the oil temp either.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Aqid
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah no reading on ambient either.

Appreciate 0