E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - retrofit paddle shifters



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
ska///235i's Avatar DIY - retrofit paddle shifters
ska///235i
03-12-2010
non-paddle shift steering wheel retrofit to paddle shift...

ATTN: do at your own risk....

I'm just putting everything together in one DIY thread that other members have already done and adding more info. to make this easier.
This will be step by step...
  #22  
By ska///235i on 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 73%
the wiring here will not trigger the airbag, I think you miss something while taking your steering wheel apart.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
By hugus311 on 06-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny90 View Post
I'll take some pics later on if I try and go at the DIY again. Right now I went ahead and took out all the wiring. I now have a nice air bag warning now . Hopefully I can get that worked out.

Does anyone know what all is needed for the burger turning kit? I know they require you to get a harness but I need to know which one to get and the douche there wouldn't tell me without ordering the damn thing first
I have asked BMS (the harness company from the link above) what else was needed.
Besides their harness, the sports steeringwheel and airbag and paddles, this is what you also need to make it work:

(1 QTY.) Steering Wheel Controls/Switch BMW Part # 61319123287 (order it from getbmwparts.com, approx $97 + shipping)

Tools Needed: (Paddle Shift Retrofit)
10mm Wrench/socket to disconnect the battery (Included in the OEM bmw tool kit above the battery)
Large flat head screwdriver (prying the center console up, steering column cover removal)
Medium flat head screwdriver (removing the airbag)
16mm socket with extension (steering wheel removal)
Wire coat hanger or equivalent to pull the harness through the dash

T20 & T30 torx tools (steering wheel parts)


maybe about a hour total labor taking time

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...addle+retrofit
Reply With Quote
  #24  
By benny90 on 06-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 73%
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulrog View Post
haha of course not! they put the time and $ into figuring this out

ok... where are you at with this? did you purchase a new steering wheel? your vehicle does not have the sports package correct? what year is your E9x?

The airbag fault has to be cleared by your BMW dealer.
Yea I figured they wouldn't but I was going to order the harness and thought I would ask as I wanted everything together before I ordered it.

But yea, I have a BMW Performance Steering Wheel (Full Alcantara) with the paddle cut-outs and also got the regular sport paddle shifters to go with it. I do have the sports package, could that be whats wrong here? Its a 2006 330i E90.

So I can go to the dealer and have them clear the fault or did I possibly screw up some wiring? Is there anyway to find out without having to go to the dealer?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
By benny90 on 06-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 73%
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugus311 View Post
I have asked BMS (the harness company from the link above) what else was needed.
Besides their harness, the sports steeringwheel and airbag and paddles, this is what you also need to make it work:

(1 QTY.) Steering Wheel Controls/Switch BMW Part # 61319123287 (order it from getbmwparts.com, approx $97 + shipping)

Tools Needed: (Paddle Shift Retrofit)
10mm Wrench/socket to disconnect the battery (Included in the OEM bmw tool kit above the battery)
Large flat head screwdriver (prying the center console up, steering column cover removal)
Medium flat head screwdriver (removing the airbag)
16mm socket with extension (steering wheel removal)
Wire coat hanger or equivalent to pull the harness through the dash

T20 & T30 torx tools (steering wheel parts)


maybe about a hour total labor taking time

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...addle+retrofit
Nice, thanks for the info! I went ahead and placed my order for the harness and hope to have everything up and running once I get in the BT harness and the necessary BMW one!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
By benny90 on 06-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 73%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
the wiring here will not trigger the airbag, I think you miss something while taking your steering wheel apart.
I don't think I missed anything, the only problem I could see is with the wiring on the two wires on the steering column (slip ring) connector. I kind of jimmy rigged them back in. Could these wires have anything to do with the airbag or seatbelt faults??
Reply With Quote
  #27  
By Belarus on 06-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
40%40%40%
2
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
40%40%40%
2
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 53%
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugus311 View Post

+1
Reply With Quote
  #28  
By benny90 on 06-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 73%
Heres the two faults that are showing. One looks like its the seat belt and the other the airbag. The weird thing about them is that they do not chime or anything, they just sit there on the display. Also it doesn't seem to be anything with the drivers or passenger's seatbelt as when I disconnect either of them when driving I get a popup and a chime and it goes away when I reconnect them. So what I figure is that they are just faults of the same problem.

If anyone has any advice or tips to possibly get rid of the faults or anything else PLEASE let me know. My car is just out of warranty last month and I don't want to have to pay them to fix it.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #29  
By Belarus on 06-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
40%40%40%
2
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
40%40%40%
2
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 53%
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny90 View Post
Heres the two faults that are showing. One looks like its the seat belt and the other the airbag. The weird thing about them is that they do not chime or anything, they just sit there on the display. Also it doesn't seem to be anything with the drivers or passenger's seatbelt as when I disconnect either of them when driving I get a popup and a chime and it goes away when I reconnect them. So what I figure is that they are just faults of the same problem.

If anyone has any advice or tips to possibly get rid of the faults or anything else PLEASE let me know. My car is just out of warranty last month and I don't want to have to pay them to fix it.
Not 100% sure, but you might be able to clear them with BT scan tool.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
By hugus311 on 06-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
Not 100% sure, but you might be able to clear them with BT scan tool.
good will by dealer. might be your airbag mat sensor and seatbelt pretensioner
Reply With Quote
  #31  
By ska///235i on 06-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 73%
You prbly forgot to ground the small brown wire of the airbag or the airbag connectors is not properly connected
Reply With Quote
  #32  
By woodpecka on 06-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 60%
I'm in the process to retrofit the paddle shifter on my e91 XI 2006 and I have read all the threads. I share my work in case this can help somebody else to figure how to build the connections.

Also, I have found a 3 pin male connector at the electronic shop that just fit perfectly the shifters female connector and I have weld the cables on it. if I want, I can invert the left shifter to put it in DCT mode.

The white stuff on the top of the weld is silicone I put to avoid any short circuit.

**I have not finish my work, the wiring will be better organized before I put back the airbag. I hope this help.









Last edited by woodpecka; 06-26-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
By benny90 on 06-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 73%
I actually have some full three prong cables if anyone needs them for the paddles. Just PM me if you do, they were like $5 so I'll sell them for that much. They're perfect for connecting the paddles.

Also I went with the burger tuning crap. It works. I would recommend people to buy the paddles multifunction buttons for an easy connection and it is pretty much straight forward from there without needing the BT thing as it's pretty much exactly like the DIY except it's just "prettier".
Reply With Quote
  #34  
By woodpecka on 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 60%
I have done it. All is working fine. Thanks a lot to the folk who has built this DIY.

-I had an issue between the new function connector and the old female receptor. I had to cut a small pin to fit it in the hole. Somebody else as to do this?

-I had a x-drive alert after each battery reconnection and it disappeared after each new run with the car.

-I had the extra yellow cable in the back of the steering and I used these cable. Very useful and easy.

-I can only use the paddle in "S" mode. I have an 2006 325XIT with no sport package so it is maybe related to the year.

The most difficult part is to remove the airbag and to found the right connector for the main connector. I had to try it 2 times before it works.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
By ska///235i on 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 73%
Nice job
With simple wiring knowledge, this diy is also idiot proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I have done it. All is working fine. Thanks a lot to the folk who has built this DIY.

-I had an issue between the new function connector and the old female receptor. I had to cut a small pin to fit it in the hole. Somebody else as to do this?

-I had a x-drive alert after each battery reconnection and it disappeared after each new run with the car.

-I had the extra yellow cable in the back of the steering and I used these cable. Very useful and easy.

-I can only use the paddle in "S" mode. I have an 2006 325XIT with no sport package so it is maybe related to the year.

The most difficult part is to remove the airbag and to found the right connector for the main connector. I had to try it 2 times before it works.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
By Fapout on 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I started on this last weekend. I had a lot of trouble finding pin connectors so I haven't wired it from the steering column on down to the transmission yet. Right now my right paddle honks my horn and the left paddle does nothing that I can tell of.

I bought the 18 guage wiring and I think that the 20 guage may have worked better. Time will tell. Also, I'm having trouble finding scotch clips. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
By woodpecka on 08-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 60%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapout View Post
I started on this last weekend. I had a lot of trouble finding pin connectors so I haven't wired it from the steering column on down to the transmission yet. Right now my right paddle honks my horn and the left paddle does nothing that I can tell of.

I bought the 18 guage wiring and I think that the 20 guage may have worked better. Time will tell. Also, I'm having trouble finding scotch clips. Any recommendations?
I have welded the new cables on the old ones without any cutting. Forget the scotch clips.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
By Fapout on 08-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I have welded the new cables on the old ones without any cutting. Forget the scotch clips.
You welded or you soldered?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
By woodpecka on 08-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 60%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapout View Post
You welded or you soldered?
soldered. (sorry, this was a wrong translation! )
Reply With Quote
  #40  
By schulrog on 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
MotiveMods was the first company to offer the E6x (5 and 6-Series Paddle Shift Kits) in addition to the Illuminated Shifter Retrofit Kits. Offered is either only the wiring harness or also a COMPLETE kit including everything you'd need to retrofit paddles onto your vehicle with all the different steering wheel options. The kit comes with detailed instructions for easy installation. If you purchase only the wiring harness (they will beat any competitors price), MotiveMods will include a list of part numbers for all the items you would need to complete the retrofit.

URL:MotiveMods E9x/E8x Paddle-Shift Kit
Reply With Quote
  #41  
By Kingkow on 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
4
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 73%
Just wanted to thank you for this very helpful post.

I finally got around to do it and it works GREAT!!!!!! Too bad it will only shift once I put it in S mode. Anyone knows a workaround for that one?

Great Mod!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
By schulrog on 09-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
there is no such thing as a workaround unless you purchase a new set of controls
Last edited by schulrog; 09-18-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
By ska///235i on 09-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 73%
for free?

dawm Vendors need to stay out of these DIY threads and advertise their stuff
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST